General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Superhawk vs. V-Strom DL1000

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 08:14 PM
Back Marker

senecagreen
Superhawk vs. V-Strom DL1000

Hi All,

I currently ride a 2004 DL1000 V-Strom. I wanted a Superhawk when I bought the DL but didn't want to pay the insurance. I pay $410 a year full coverage on the DL because they think it is a touring bike. I have always liked the Superhawk.

I like the 90 degree V twin mostly and that was why I settled for a V Strom. I am waiting to see what color Honda offers for 06 before I buy one. My insurance man tells me I can insure a Superhawk for $576 a year now full coverage because I am now 45. I guess they think I am more responsible one year older.

What I like about the V Strom is:

Super headlights at night. The best I have had on any bike I have owned.
Luggage rack. My tourmaster tailbag carries my lunch to work on it.
Fuel injected V twin character. Very strong low and mid range pwr peaks at 8200 rpm.
Decent wind protection to upper torso and faceshield. I like to feel some wind on me is why I don't have a Goldwing.
6 speed overdrive. I turn 3700 at 70. 4500 at 85 mph. smooth in this range. 49 mpg.
This bike easily wheelies in first on throttle anywhere from 3500 to 4500 you better be ready because it's coming up.
I run Bt 020's stock sizes and like them.
Fairly upright riding position and very good suspension and handling on a 540lb fully fueled bike. It has a 5.1 gal tank.

Lows are very few aftermarket parts. I am still waiting on D&D to make a slip on because I don't want to buy Two Brothers. Very few slip ons avaliable for this bike because the muffler doesn't bolt to a 3 bolt flange.

I know the first change I would make to the Superhawk is Heli bars because I ride on the highway a lot and don't want to have to look out over the top of my glasses at the instruments. I wear a full face.
I weigh about 195 and hear the Superhawk front springs are soft for my weight. I would of course install a pair of slip ons and rejet if I had a Superhawk.

My questions are.

How many rpms does the Superhawk turn at 70-75?

What kind of gas mileage can I expect?

How comfortable is it going to be on the highway with Heli bars? I had a ZX11 at one time and didn't mind the riding position on it. Is the Superhawk more upright than a ZX11 with Heli bars on the Superhawk?

Does the stock windscreen take most of the windblast off your upper torso? I don't take long trips.

Does the Superhawk have hooks underneath the pasenger section so I can secure the bungee hooks of my tailbag to them?

I am looking forward to buying a Superhawk next year but am really spoiled on my V Strom. That's why I would like to know from you all how you think the Superhawk compares to my Strom. And who would be able to tell me better than you guys.

Thanks in advance for all your replies. Sorry for the long post.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:38 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: Superhawk vs. V-Strom DL1000

Condensing your well explained situation into one sentence: You want to get a superhawk because you can't get a D&D pipe.

IMO, stick with the strom, even if it has a stupid name (jk), and get a D&D pipe made for it. Buy one for a suzuki (3 bolt flange) and have an automotive muffler shop fab up the mid-pipe. A standard automotive exhaust flange is remarkably close to the suzuki bolt pattern (might need a tad modding with a rat tail file). Have the new mid-pipe coated (preferred) or painted with hi-temp paint (cheap but will need upkeep).

I did this on my old vtec vfr.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:22 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point

well I think you need to understand that these two bikes are designed for very different things. if you get a superhawk don't expect it to be as...plush. the v-strom is made for comfort and practicallity. its good almost anywhere. the superhawk is much sportier, but lacks the practicals. gas-mileage sucks, and the position won't be as comfotable. but in my opinion, the hawk looks better, and they can get up and haul aaaaasssss! what is more important to you?
Old 09-06-2005, 05:06 AM
Superstock

woodman

1. At 70 mph mine is turning 4300 rpm's.

2. I've checked mine twice, 38.5 the first time and 38 the second time.

3. Don't know how comfy with Heli-bars but with the stock bars I find it comfortable. Did 300 miles Saturday no problem and I am 52 with a bad back.

4. The windshield does a pretty good job but I would like a double bubble better. The stock windshield directs the turbulent air right at your helmet and creates alot of wind noise.

5. There are 2 fold out bungee hooks on the bottom of the seat. I have never used them so I can't say how good they work
Old 09-06-2005, 08:01 AM
Superstock

Jim TT

I’m not sure what you are looking for but here is my input. The Super Hawk is sportier bike than your DL, and it has good potential as a track bike or very sporty road bike. Your concern about comfort is misplaced a bit as frankly the Super Hawk is not much of a touring long haul machine. Its gas mileage is poor and its tank capacity is limited so the bike has very poor range. It has ok wind protection but nothing like the DL. I also think the front brakes need upgrading and the transmission is a bit clunky but that can be fixed if you know how and are willing to spend the time and money. The bikes appearance and motor are two of its best attributes however if you are into ‘cutting edge’ sport bikes the styling is a bit dated (that’s ok with me). I have a ’94 VFR750 which is a better sorted out more ‘finished’ motorcycle and has far better touring capability yet is almost as sporty as my SH. I like big twins a lot but owning more than one makes little sense in my view (unless you have ten bikes) because there are so many alternatives that will deliver a different type of performance and riding feel. I would look at four cylinder machines if I were you, and included in that list would be a VFR800 (the model without VTEC) it’s hard to appreciate how good VFRs are until you spend some serious seat time on one. The SH does offer perhaps the closet thing to some of the high end Ducati’s you can buy without the pain and maintenance (well maybe the RC51 ....why aren't you looking at one). For my money the Honda is a better choice although there is no arguing that the prowess of a top line Duck. Good luck with your quest. JIM

Pic of VFR younger Son in background.

[
Old 09-16-2005, 07:55 PM
Back Marker

senecagreen

Thanks for the input. I bought a Titanium color 05 Superhawk. The last one in my area. $8300 OTD (I hope I didn't pay too much) When I read that they would not be making them any more that pretty well settled it for me. I have always liked the Superhawk. The RC51 is a lot more cutting edge but never has really appealed to me. It's not about horsepower otherwise I could have easily bought a SV1000s if I wanted to go a little faster. Inline fours like the ZX11 I had once have great top end but don't encourage you to take a more relaxed pace. There is just something about the 90 degree V twin.

I don't take long trips so a touring bike isn't for me. The ZX11 weighed just over 600lbs. fueled and I said I would never buy another 600lb. bike again. I like the old SV650 but would not have been happy with that kind of power. I had a 84 V four 750 Interceptor once but like the Superhawk V twin better.

The V Strom is a great, practical, do everything bike but it is not a Superhawk. Unfortunately for the V Strom, practical didn't build any kind of emotional bond for me.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:57 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by senecagreen";p=&quot
The V Strom is a great, practical, do everything bike but it is not a Superhawk. Unfortunately for the V Strom, practical didn't build any kind of emotional bond for me.
well most likely you will bond with your super hawk. it's not the fastest or the best handling bike, but it has a lot of character and it's definetly the funnest bike i've ever ridden... hands down. make sure you give her a name

enjoy!