Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Saddlebags for the Hawk

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Squid

ChillyWaa is on a distinguished road
Saddlebags for the Hawk

Hi All, I'm looking at purchasing some soft saddlebags (and more) for two-up camping. I've done some research and I'm interested in a set of Nelson Rigg Cl 855 bags. Call me crazy, but I would then supplement the storage by affixing these
waterproof storage bags waterproof storage bags
to the top of the bags with tie downs (only for big trips).

I'm posting today because I'm worried about the bags' fitment with a passenger. If it helps, I scoured the forums and found a post about some Nelson Rigg bags here. They look like a good fit, but I'm curious if anyone has any insight to whether a pillion will also fit?

Obviously price is a consideration, as I looked at this alternative from
Amazon Amazon
. But if you have any other suggestions, I'm open to any and all advice. Bonus: here is a horrible setup I used last weekend (I don't think I can have kids anymore).

SOAy8iQ.jpg?1

OP0kEna.jpg?1

htRI5Cl.jpg?1

Thanks!!
Old 09-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
I like the hockey bag idea. And if you pop a wheelie, then the wheels on
the bag will serve as a stabilizers...
Old 09-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
I've been looking at
these from Amazon these from Amazon
... 24 liters instead of 28, but the price is half.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:18 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
The passenger seat on these bikes is marginal at best. Coupling the thin padding with straps needed to support saddlebags and the attendant loss of legroom is likely to lead to a very uncomfortable experience. Maybe it can be done but I think that with a VTR you can carry a passenger or you can have saddlebags but not both.
The other issue is the strength of the rear cowl. It's not designed to be a weight bearing part. The side loads caused by saddlebags can lead to cracking near the plastic rivet on the underside of the cowl.
Please let us know if you come up with a solution.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:19 PM
Squid

ChikinLady1011 is on a distinguished road
my *** would not fit in the tiny little space you left...
Old 09-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
I have these
SEDICI - Toscana Saddlebags - Saddlebags - Luggage - Accessories - CycleGear - Cycle Gear

and they are great. They are more or less the same as the Nelson Riggs but a little less expensive. They also have their brand (BiLT) on sale for $50 that is a decent bag but on the small side for my taste.

Edited to add: and yes a passenger can sit comfortably on the bike with the cowl removed, the straps for the bags are routed under the seat (corbin). There are two breaks in the plastic (for what I assume would have been the hooks on the stock seat) that the straps fit through
Attached Thumbnails Saddlebags for the Hawk-img_20130830_174121.jpg   Saddlebags for the Hawk-img_20130830_174413.jpg  

Last edited by insulinboy; 09-05-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
I had those from Cycle Gear... got them for $120 with a tank bag and a tail pack.

I had them until the first time I used them, and didn't lash them on properly for the return home ride. They fell off the bike somewhere.

Now someone else has them. You maybe??
Old 09-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Ditch Magnet
Squid

mput is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FTL900
I had those from Cycle Gear... got them for $120 with a tank bag and a tail pack.

I had them until the first time I used them, and didn't lash them on properly for the return home ride. They fell off the bike somewhere.

Now someone else has them. You maybe??
I have run this style of bag for three decades. If you buy another set just simply(well not so simple) pop the seat and put the straps under the seat. It eliminates lashing and tying and allows you to position the bags just where you want them with out slippage and removal is as easy as popping the seat again. I bought a cheap pair of sheep skin seat belt covers at wally world covered the straps where they touched the body work. I used the leftover sheep skin and hot glued it to the bags where they rubbed. As a bonus no one can untie and walk off with your stuff. If the bags are double zippered a small lock will seal the deal and keep honest people out a thief is going to get what they want anyway. This setup has served me for at least 75kmi no scratches no loss. Also for day trip most tank bag magnets will fold around passenger seat it holds just fine but as a precaution I use the fold out hooks and a bungee.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Ditch Magnet
Squid

mput is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ChillyWaa
Hi All, I'm looking at purchasing some soft saddlebags (and more) for two-up camping. I've done some research and I'm interested in a set of Nelson Rigg Cl 855 bags. Call me crazy, but I would then supplement the storage by affixing these waterproof storage bags to the top of the bags with tie downs (only for big trips).

I'm posting today because I'm worried about the bags' fitment with a passenger. If it helps, I scoured the forums and found a post about some Nelson Rigg bags here. They look like a good fit, but I'm curious if anyone has any insight to whether a pillion will also fit?

Obviously price is a consideration, as I looked at this alternative from Amazon. But if you have any other suggestions, I'm open to any and all advice. Bonus: here is a horrible setup I used last weekend (I don't think I can have kids anymore).

Thanks!!
Wow it is good to see another clean black 99!! The scenery the bike just awesome.
Old 09-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
My set-up, FWIW.........

Saddlebags for the Hawk-rest-stp-crtr-lk-trp.jpg

Saddlebags for the Hawk-sddlbag-mt.-1.jpg

Saddlebags for the Hawk-p1020327.jpg
Old 09-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Upland111
Love the mount.. so how much would it cost me to get you to make me a set, I'm far to lazy to make something like that
Old 09-10-2013, 09:09 PM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road

Love the mount.. so how much would it cost me to get you to make me a

set, I'm far to lazy to make something like that.

Appreciate the interest, however, full time job, too many hobbies, etc. etc. Too much on the plate to commit currently if you know what I mean.
Thanks though...
Old 09-11-2013, 06:30 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Have been considering saddle bags also. Anyone using these?OGIO Saddlebags - RevZilla
If so, how have they worked out?
Old 09-11-2013, 06:46 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Upland111
Appreciate the interest, however, full time job, too many hobbies, etc. etc. Too much on the plate to commit currently if you know what I mean.
Thanks though...
I was being mildly sarcastic with a hint of serious. I'd like to make a bracket like that for mine and am impressed with yours, but I do know that I am way to lazy to take the time to do something like that. I know i could if I took the time, I just don't see me taking the time.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:58 AM
Back Marker

Tebs is on a distinguished road
I found this on my local CL of all places. A bit pricey but looks like it would work pretty well....

Ventura Bike Pack System - $199

Honda Superhawk Ventura Bike Pack System
Old 09-12-2013, 12:20 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
My .02

I have a Givi top case, but always need more room. I had bought some Nelson Rigg soft luggage, but the capacity wasn't the best & a hassle to install rain covers. I sold em.

And got this.

Cheap, waterproof, add bungees & all good.

Dry Pak Waterproof Duffel - 110L Green

Last edited by nnjhawk02; 09-12-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:51 AM
Squid

randysway223 is on a distinguished road
Nice! When I was shoppin for saddlebags I didn't evne know there was that many options. Especially since we have sport bikes and not a harley.

I can't find the picture where I saw these saddlebags mounted but they looked pretty legit
Viking AXE Saddlebags for Sports Bikes - VikingBags AXE-22 - saddlebags - Motorcycle Luggage
Just more options for you to explore

Last edited by randysway223; 09-13-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:10 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by insulinboy
I have these
SEDICI - Toscana Saddlebags - Saddlebags - Luggage - Accessories - CycleGear - Cycle Gear

and they are great. They are more or less the same as the Nelson Riggs but a little less expensive. They also have their brand (BiLT) on sale for $50 that is a decent bag but on the small side for my taste.

Edited to add: and yes a passenger can sit comfortably on the bike with the cowl removed, the straps for the bags are routed under the seat (corbin). There are two breaks in the plastic (for what I assume would have been the hooks on the stock seat) that the straps fit through

Those are on backwards, pointy section rearward to clear upswept exhaust and zippers zip towards the rear.