Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

AGV Alloy Jeans

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 07:55 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
AGV Alloy Jeans

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...y-riding-jeans
Have been wanting a pair of riding jeans. Fast on and off, knee and hip armor. Also wanted to be able to use the jeans with the Bohn underwear I have.
These are some of the only jeans, or any pants on the market that come in long enough lengths to suit my needs. They come with knee armor and pockets for hip armor. The hip pockets are sized a little small, so the maybe some cutting to get hip pads to fit.
After reading the reviews that said to go up at least on size, I went for the longest length (36) and one size up on the waist. One size up left no extra for the hip armor. Naturally the size that I need is currently out of stock.
As far as the rest of the jeans, the kevlar coverage is adequate, not much more, the denim is a bit thin, so the kevlar will really be the first line of protection. Stitching is even and tight, have to take their word on the the quality/type of thread. Pockets are sized a bit small, but not an issue as I don't carry stuff in my pockets when I'm riding.
Overall a decent pair, not stellar, but at $129 I didn't expect that.

Last edited by xeris; 10-24-2016 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Link
Old 10-23-2016, 12:07 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
. Or at least web link...C'mon man !
Old 11-03-2016, 08:00 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Vid sucked... they should show with and without knee armor. Seems like a decent price though. These types of riding pants can get stoopid expensive.

I have 3 pairs of riding jeans. In the hot summer, I wear the Teknic with shorts underneath. Just like these:

When I get to my destination and the need arises, I take 'em off and have shorts on. Love 'em, my favorite pair.

When I don't want shorts under, I have a pair of Fieldsheer. Additional layer of protection in the knees and ****. I feel the least protected when wearing them and they will be the next piece of gear to be replaced.

And for the cold months, I have a pair of the Icon Barrier. Like these.
ICON Barrier Men's 40 x 33 Double Kneed, Flannel Lined Denim Jeans #Q138 | eBay

If you're not careful with these, you'll end up sweating you *** off! Very warm.
Old 11-04-2016, 06:42 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
I like those Teknic pants! Just a quick question for ya Wolv'. The legs look pretty wide at the bottom, so do they flap in the wind? Or is the material thick enough for that not to happen?
Old 11-04-2016, 07:02 PM
MotoGP

They do a little. If that is a concern - https://www.amazon.com/Reflective-Mo.../dp/B00Q5MULLK

The double lined Icons do not flap.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:09 PM
MotoGP

Just browsed through the catalog @ work on a slow day... Next years Alpinestars "best" riding jeans are $299!
alpinestars-riffs-riding-jeans
Unreal. Who pays this much?!?!
Old 11-26-2016, 07:59 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Well, that depends on how they make my butt look.
Old 11-28-2016, 08:20 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Well, that depends on how they make my butt look.
There's an answer for everything...
Old 12-06-2016, 03:05 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Just browsed through the catalog @ work on a slow day... Next years Alpinestars "best" riding jeans are $299!
alpinestars-riffs-riding-jeans
Unreal. Who pays this much?!?!
I would if it would give skills like one of the aliens from Moto GP. I understand that a profit margin is needed, but seriously.
Took a chance on a pair of Sliders Free Ride Jeans from Competition Acc. Sliders Free Ride Motorcycle Riding Jeans - Competition Accessories
(After checking the web site and not finding the 30-36 I called to find out the stock situation. I was told that there will be no restocking until the first of the year.)
these jeans checked almost all of the boxes on what I wanted/needed, and I have spent hours combing the internet.
The most important being inseam length. Few brands make long lengths. The few that do, with maybe 2 exceptions, don't really offer a truly long length. To make matters more frustrating the long lengths start at a waist size that is too big. Nope, not going to do the Jethro rope belt thing. The salt in the raw skin is the sizing. Even after reading all the reviews on all the many choices, I still came away with just more than a guess. The biggest question mark is how the sizing charts and reviews relate to fit w/wo hip armor. As I stated in the opening post the Alloy Jeans were true to size, but without armor. Nowhere did I get any sense of that from descriptions or reviews
Enter the Slider Free Ride. It was still a guess on sizing, so I ordered two pair. One at my regular waist (30, really a 31, but...) and one a size up (32). Both in 36 length, and that length measures exactly 36". I usually wear 34 length. I can get away with a 34 with my moto boots, but ankle high or flip flops leave a lot of leg showing. Turns out the the waist sizing on these jeans is with armor figured in. That is, without hip armor the size is about one too big. With armor it's spot on.
I picked these up during a sale, got them for $20 off the regular price of $99. The price is in the range that I can accept even though they don't come with armor (there is a very thin pad in the hip pockets, not sure why they even bothered). By the time proper knee and hip armor is added, you'd be into them around $150-160. This is starting from the $99 point.
These pants look no different than a regular pair of, say 501, no extra seems or stitching that would give away that these are anything other than every day street wear. Normal size rear pockets with no fadish filigree stitching. Front pockets are deep and cut with the idea that you might actually put your hand in them to retrieve something. Strangely the coin pocket is 5 1/2" deep. A small object place in that pocket is going to be a challenge to retrieve and sitting with a long object in the pocket is also going to be challenging. A minor detail that doesn't effect the over all value or usefulness. All the pockets are riveted, which may be good or bad on the paint. Not sure on this one, but that's how they come.
Zipper is YKK. Say yea. I read a review recently that stated the only consistent and major problem the reviewer has had with moto specific clothing was with non YKK zippers. My experience is the same.
The denim is of a decent weight and has a soft, broken in feel. I think that you could make the argument that the strength of the fabric is a bit lacking. This is just an impression that I get and without crashing them, who knows? As far as having a get off, it looks like the Kevlar has adequate coverage. So as long as the real protection stays in place and does it's job, the rest of the chassis is not as important.
As I have not installed knee armor yet I can only speculate that the pockets for the knee armor is going to be a bit high, even using the lowest position. Yup there is about 3-31/2" of adjustment height. Hip armor pocket is a bit small on height and width and I would have preferred the the pocket start at the top of the waist band, not the bottom. Again a small niggle that may not matter.
The biggest potential issue I have seen so far is the armor pockets. They are of a rather thin material and the hook and loop closures cause a lot of stress on the fabric. The thickness or lack of is good for fit and feel, but maybe not for longevity. If your not taking the armor in and out, or using armored underwear it probably not going to be an issue.
The leg diameter is about the same as a pair of 501, or a slight bit more. The cuff fits over my moto boots (A* Super Tech R) as a slightly snug fit. Might be a bit flappy with a low boot or shoe. The waist is what I would call a mid rise height. It's primo for me as gives more coverage in the riding position than a low waist line.
To be picky, the interior mesh lining will hang up when removing the pants as the lineing is only held in place at the in and out seams. The other nit is the tags on the right and left out seam. No problem that a pair of scissors won't fix.
Overall quality, stitching, seam alignment is better than good. Certainly for $99. I give them 5 stars for value and 4 1/2 stars for every thing else. I would certainly buy again, and will, as every time I find a product that checks this many boxes and is priced right, it always gets discontinued.
The jeans are nice charcoal black, though the photos look blue.
AGV Alloy Jeans-front.jpg

AGV Alloy Jeans-back.jpg