Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Helmet speakers

Old 09-17-2015, 09:55 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Helmet speakers

Got a set? Whatcha wearing?

I recently had one of mine fail so it's time for a new set. No bluetooth, yet.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:59 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I have these. Very good sound quality, plenty loud and awesome price. Pairs easily to each other or my phone or ipod.

2 x BT Bluetooth Motorcycle motorbike Helmet Interphone Intercom Headset 800M | eBay

I have a tendency to find good stuff very inexpensively.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:05 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Got a set? Whatcha wearing?

I recently had one of mine fail so it's time for a new set. No bluetooth, yet.
UCLEAR sells separate speakers that have nothing to do with their bluetooth headset system that are excellent for the money available at numerous websites and ebay for $40 including
Shipping
Old 09-18-2015, 05:58 AM
MotoGP

Thanks both! My local Cycle Gear may stock the Uclear. Look good on paper so I'll give 'em the shot.
I really wanna go BT but haven't done the research yet and don't quite have the funds to spend (other projects taking priority).
Old 09-18-2015, 03:01 PM
Squid

tomb393 is on a distinguished road
+ 1 on the Uclear

I use Cardo Scala Rider Q3 Bluetooth connected to the Uclear HDS10 helmet speakers in my HJC helmet. It's a great combination. The Uclear has far greater sound quality than the speakers that came with the Q3. I recently bought a Scorpion helmet that has better air flow but is noisy and I use earbuds to block the noise. Bluetooth is the way to go for me. Being tethered to my phone got old.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:13 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
The BT I linked to is @ $40 for one helmet. I have had mine a few years trouble free and its BT. That's pretty cheap admission.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:47 PM
Back Marker

Badboy01 is on a distinguished road
Picked up a pair of U-clear HDS-110 speakers from Cycle Gear based on the prior threads, and they are fantastic! Incredible sound, even at higher speeds, and more comfortable than ear buds. I also own a pair of wireless headphones, but the U-clear speakers blow them away. When riding, I am trying to escape the phone, so hearing clear, quality sound is the most important thing for me. I am still notified of important calls based on my custom ring-tones, and stop to pick up if a priority, basically the wife or a client! Thanks to forum again....
Old 09-22-2015, 07:57 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Scala G9x.

Works like a charm. Battery life is pretty decent. Auxiliary input and Bluetooth connectivity.

You guys have me thinking about trying a set of these U-clear speakers... hmmm, how much better can they be?

I don't know how I rode without the headset before... years with nothing but my own thoughts. That is nice and all, but having the option to listen to my music, make phone calls, and talk with my riding buddies is pretty sweet... and if I want to tune it all out, it has an off button...
Old 09-22-2015, 08:33 PM
Superstock

Big_Jim59 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr
UCLEAR sells separate speakers that have nothing to do with their bluetooth headset system that are excellent for the money available at numerous websites and ebay for $40 including
Shipping
I have a Uclear set up and recently ordered a second set of helmet speakers for my new helmet. They were cheap and I got the directly from Uclear.

I love being able to pick up a call while I am riding.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:52 PM
Squid

Uclear HDS10

UClear HDS10 High Definition Speakers (Compatible with iPhone and Android OS) | Speaker Review

I'd say the sound quality is tremendous. I stopped at the Uclear booth at the Progressive show last year but wasn't interested in their bluetooth units because they have a custom jack that only accepts their speakers. I knew the Cardo Q3 has a 3.5mm jack which will accept most headphone / earbud options. Once the guy realized I wasn't buying their unit he said I had to try his new HD helmet speakers that will plug into a phone. I was blown away and scooped them right up. I am very fussy about sound quality and these are the only speakers that allow me to abort earbuds and all the hassle they entail. These are too loud even on the highway. I can't take full volume and I'm the kind of guy that stands in front of the speakers at shows. They have a nice clean and rich sound and heavy bass.

They are designed with a 3.5 audio plug to plug into a phone but without the extension, the short chord (3.5 plug also) plugs into my Scala Q3 bluetooth. My phone is paired and mounted into my steering yoke with a Ram Mount X-grip. I might get better navigation with a GPS Unit but I keep it simple and use my phone for everything. I can follow GPX routes in Osmand, get somewhere fast using Waze or roam around with no cell signal using Copilot GPS. I can't tell you how many times one touch for weather radar saved my *** without having to pull over. I don't use the phone often when riding but it comes in handy like being able to call home when I'm a block away and have someone hit the garage door opener so I can sail right in.

Being fully connected and wireless is really nice but one thing I have not found is a good way to utilize the touch screen. I've tried the liquids on the glove fingertips and they don't last. I tried the capacitive strips and they don't last either. I hear the bluetooth gloves don't last and read bad reviews about the capacitive thread. The only thing I know of that is always reliable for activating touch screens are farkle fingers (boots that fit over glove tips like a finger condom) but the elastic wears out and they stick to Velcro. I'm always adjusting them.

If anyone knows a better option, please enlighten me.
Old 09-22-2015, 09:01 PM
Squid

I concur

Originally Posted by matt365
Scala G9x.

Works like a charm. Battery life is pretty decent. Auxiliary input and Bluetooth connectivity.

You guys have me thinking about trying a set of these U-clear speakers... hmmm, how much better can they be?

I don't know how I rode without the headset before... years with nothing but my own thoughts. That is nice and all, but having the option to listen to my music, make phone calls, and talk with my riding buddies is pretty sweet... and if I want to tune it all out, it has an off button...
I know what you mean. I've been using headphones for a while but I finally went Bluetooth this year. Another nice thing to make the highway miles go by fast when heading for the hills are podcasts. A couple WTF's and boom - I'm there.

I also agree it's nice to just shut it all down and get lost too.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:57 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tomb393
I know what you mean. I've been using headphones for a while but I finally went Bluetooth this year. Another nice thing to make the highway miles go by fast when heading for the hills are podcasts. A couple WTF's and boom - I'm there.

I also agree it's nice to just shut it all down and get lost too.

A buddy of mine is into his audio books. Rode down to the dragon from Ontario listening to his "Game of Thrones" audio books the whole way... Worked for him, and ate up the miles.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:45 PM
ren
Back Marker

ren is on a distinguished road
A buddy of mine is into his audio books. Rode down to the dragon from Ontario listening to his "Game of Thrones" audio books the whole way... Worked for him, and ate up the miles.
I started book 4 on my commute (~15min there and ~20 back each day) and it's been MONTHS of listening. Really works out. Going to add in some podcasts soon

I actually pay MORE attention riding when listening to audiobooks/podcasts rather than with music
Old 09-23-2015, 10:16 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
Motocomm Thumper 2 Helmet Speakers - RevZilla
if you want just speakers, old school, I bought inline volume adjuster from radio shack for 10 bucks; if want to go high tech Sena SMH10r is cleanest looking and performs well, Scala G9x performs great but not as clean looking. What is your budget?
Old 09-24-2015, 02:11 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Wolverine
My local Cycle Gear may stock the Uclear. Look good on paper so I'll give 'em the shot.
I really wanna go BT but haven't done the research yet and don't quite have the funds to spend (other projects taking priority).
Old 10-01-2015, 10:13 PM
Squid

paulmx5 is on a distinguished road
I have the J&M Elite Headset on my Arai helmet. Decent product, and I have no complaints about the audio quality.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:18 PM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
I saw a project that involved stitching thread thru the glove fingertip to make it touch screen capable. I promptly ordered the thread and then did exactly nothing with it.

Here's the scoop on how to do it.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:36 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
wile e coyote

I don't have enough wrist disipline (?) to listen to hard rock and ride hard. If I ride medium my mind wanders and I get into trouble, same for offroad. Best bet for me is to keep the heat on and concentrate. I've tried buds and blue tooth, I'm just not cut out for it. Sure would be great to take calls!
Old 10-02-2015, 06:56 PM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
On our Lassen trip this year with my Bro and another friend, we were linked up with the U-Clears and they work and sound pretty clear.....IF you follow the pairing instructions To-The-Tee. I wear the molded ear plugs and I can still hear well up to about 70 mph. No problems around town which is usually where they are used the most.
My friend had these gloves
Touch-Screen Elkskin Ropers :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
and he liked them for using his GPS. I also use a GPS but prefer better protection for my hands. Surprisingly I had no problems with my Alpinestar GP Pro gloves. So there you go!
Old 10-03-2015, 06:03 AM
Squid

me too

Originally Posted by FTL900
I saw a project that involved stitching thread thru the glove fingertip to make it touch screen capable. I promptly ordered the thread and then did exactly nothing with it.

Here's the scoop on how to do it.
My thread is sitting on a table to remind me to try it on an old pair of gloves. Thanks for the scoop.
Old 10-03-2015, 06:10 AM
Squid

gloves

Originally Posted by Upland111
On our Lassen trip this year with my Bro and another friend, we were linked up with the U-Clears and they work and sound pretty clear.....IF you follow the pairing instructions To-The-Tee. I wear the molded ear plugs and I can still hear well up to about 70 mph. No problems around town which is usually where they are used the most.
My friend had these gloves
Touch-Screen Elkskin Ropers :: Aerostich Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear
and he liked them for using his GPS. I also use a GPS but prefer better protection for my hands. Surprisingly I had no problems with my Alpinestar GP Pro gloves. So there you go!
Ptotection first / touch screen last
Old 05-14-2023, 02:54 PM
Squid

stacyhoffman is on a distinguished road
Scala G9x.

I don't know how I rode without the headset before... years with nothing but my own thoughts. That is nice and all, but having the option to listen to my music, make phone calls, and talk with my riding buddies is pretty sweet https://bikerwhizz.com/best-motorcycle-helmet-speakers/... and if I want to tune it all out, it has an off button...
anyone have any experience with these helmet speakers? IASUS Premium Audio Motorcycle Helmet Speakers
Old 05-30-2023, 06:46 PM
Squid

stacyhoffman is on a distinguished road
Scala G9x.

I don't know how I rode without the headset before motorcycle helmets with bluetooth and gps... years with nothing but my own thoughts. That is nice and all, but having the option to listen to my music, make phone calls, and talk with my riding buddies is pretty sweet... and if I want to tune it all out, it has an off button...
Anyone have any experience with a full face bluetooth enabled helmet? Went down on the 2nd and need a new helmet now, was thinking about a bluetooth enabled so i dont needa mess with ear buds for my music anymore. Wondering if any1 has any input on sound quality etc.
Old 06-01-2023, 04:02 PM
MotoGP

I've been using Sena's for years now. Started with the 10s, which was great and still have one on my Nicky Hayden Arai. Got the SRL when I got the Shoei GTAir. Then a while back I swapped for the SRL2. Wife has the SRL1 in her helmet. All my riding friends have the 50 whatever..