Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Bike to bike communicator

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 12:23 PM
Back Marker

icebud
Bike to bike communicator

Hi guys,

Is any of you own or have already tried some bike to bike communicator system with "VOX" voice activation system like the Nady MRC-11 or the Chatterbox or...???

Any feedback about them or any other model?

I'm now looking to buy some of them but it's hard to separate the fiction from the truth about these things so any advise/comment will be welcome

Thx all
Old 07-09-2005, 08:44 AM
Back Marker

icebud
Re: Bike to bike communicator

Seem that I was the only one who had interest in that kind of communicator or maybe none of you have already try one of these!!

No matters, I've make my choice and I would like to share this with you. I've ordered a set of Platinum 900 from collett electronics http://www.collett.mb.ca/ I had never hear about them since before I saw their ad on speedzilla VTR forum. First, I was a bit suspicious, it's nevertheless a good investments, so I've sent them a couple of email to have all the necessary information before to buy. And their answers satisfied me thus I've decided to buy a set of two, for me and my girlfriend.

They cost me 462.13$ CDN tax and shipping include for both.

The installation was pretty fast in the HJC AC-11 of my girlfrind, but in my Shark RSF2i, it was I bit more complicated, I had to remove some material ( styrofoam of the helmet body ) near the ears because I don't want to touch and/or to feel the speakers around my ears. In overall, it take me about 1 hours for both installation.

After letting them charge for 10 hours, we were gone with them for a 1200Km ride last weekend and I must say that I was very impress! This is far away better then any FRS system in the market, nothing to compare. They have their own 900Mhz channel, no parasit, no interference ( at least very few, only one during the weekend and for 10 seconde). The communication is preatty clear and the VOX ( voice activation system of the microphone ) work very well. Of course, we have to speak clearly and very close to the microphone, this one need to be very close of our lips but this is not too harassing.

It's sure that at 200Km/h or more the wind come to complicate the commuication but at around 140-160Km/h which is our travel speed these work very great! ( to any speed under also of course) All you have to do is to talk! I'm very satisfied, my gilrfriend too, so they worth any penny they cost me.

The only things that I regret it's they have no OFF button... dammm womens!!! :wink:

If some of you would like to have more informations, just ask!

Cheers
Old 07-09-2005, 08:50 AM
Back Marker

icebud

Here are some pictures of them... sorry for their poor quality, no more money for a good camera!!
Old 07-17-2005, 09:52 AM
Squid

LauraLynne
Hi - new to the forum but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. We just took a 2 week trip and used the AutoCom system - it's a hub for communication so we used Kenwood Freetalk walkie-talkies and also had MP3 players and our phones hooked in. The installation was easy, the set up a little more picky (due to not reading the instructions and trying to adjust it on the road). They were clear up to and beyond 130 mph using VOX. The range was roughly 1 mile at worst, 3-4 miles at best. We're thinking the range might be better if our walkie talkies were mounted vertically vs. horizontally. Trunk mounting shown here: http://www.pappawheelies.com/trunk1.htm

Laura
'98 SuperChick
Old 07-17-2005, 05:56 PM
Back Marker

caffeineracer
That's a nice install.
I'm thinking of using that same kind of packing material for camera mount with a remote shutter release so I can snap hi-res pics of buddies leaned over in a turn.
Nice surprise too when I clicked on the website, 'cracked me up'.

~Jeffers
Old 07-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Squid

LauraLynne
thanks - it annoys some people
Old 09-06-2005, 08:48 AM
Back Marker

VTRFISH

Unless I was wanting to go on a nice easy ride with the wife rideing shotgun.....I'll never use a communicator.

Why? I like to enjoy my ride.....and the extra distraction of chatter in my ears........in the middle of a turn......avoiding cagers......not for me.

That's why I ride. To get away from being tied to a network.

Just my .02
Mike
Old 09-06-2005, 09:01 AM
Squid

LauraLynne
we used it for safety more than anything - front person checking up on sweep to make sure group was together - I ride sweep and keep others in the group informed of what's going on from behind. It's VERY handy in traffic when there are RV's all over the place and all of us can't make the pass without some communication about oncoming traffic....there were times in a 15 hour day that just chatting was nice -- comments about views we were passing, remembering last time we were there. mostly we're silent and riding the ride but they have their time and place.