Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

Another better mouse trap

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 04:45 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Another better mouse trap

I like the idea. Not sure about actual use.
Quiet Ride Helmets Noise Reduction Helmets
Old 12-17-2015, 06:26 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
if its only up to 19 decibels, I'd still be wearing ear plugs.

Interesting idea though.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:29 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
Radical rear-access Vozz Helmet could make motorcycles far safer | Daily Mail Online

This seems like a great idea. Probably would help with wind buffeting and sound quite a bit.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:50 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Ah yes. Rear access....ohlala !
Old 12-18-2015, 08:29 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
quiet rider... good idea and would likely work. my first concern would be comfort

vozz... interesting. most noise is the booming on the bottom of the helmet. if this helmet fits closer to the neck, maybe it will minimize the booming.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:36 AM
SuperBike

Talked to the friend of mine that gave me the link to the Quiet Helmet site and he has the retro kit on order. I'll report back on the details when it happens. He has a spare that will be the test helmet. Good for me as I don't want to muck up my only. This will help me decide if I want to go this route.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:14 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by xeris
Talked to the friend of mine that gave me the link to the Quiet Helmet site and he has the retro kit on order. I'll report back on the details when it happens. He has a spare that will be the test helmet. Good for me as I don't want to muck up my only. This will help me decide if I want to go this route.
Have not seen the install yet, but it's done and required a lot of cutting to make the system fit. He used a Shoei, don't know which model, and it sounded from his description that the neck roll from the ear cup forward had to be removed.
I will get to see it Sunday and that will give me a better idea of it's worth.
Old 01-02-2016, 03:57 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xeris
That would be interesting to hear
Old 01-02-2016, 04:16 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by finepooch
quiet rider... good idea and would likely work. my first concern would be comfort

vozz... interesting. most noise is the booming on the bottom of the helmet. if this helmet fits closer to the neck, maybe it will minimize the booming.
That is correct, most of the noise comes from below the ears, and also from the front under the helmet, if you put a simple wind blocker on your lower front helmet, it works like magic, I just hate having the blocker like in the link:

Amazon.com: Schampa Helmet Skirt (BLACK): Automotive Amazon.com: Schampa Helmet Skirt (BLACK): Automotive

Last edited by NHSH; 01-02-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-02-2016, 04:40 PM
SuperBike

i have tested the booming noise at the bottom of my helmet. i simply placed my hand over that area between the helmet and my neck and poof, booming noise gone

that helmet skirt you linked to... it looks like it would work but does it raise other issues like restricting movement or retaining heat?

i have long wondered why the helmet manus are not addressing this problem. it seems to me that it would be a simple fix
Old 01-02-2016, 06:21 PM
SuperBike

i have tested the booming noise at the bottom of my helmet. i simply placed my hand over that area between the helmet and my neck and poof, booming noise gone

that helmet skirt you linked to... it looks like it would work but does it raise other issues like restricting movement or retaining heat?

i have long wondered why the helmet manus are not addressing this problem. it seems to me that it would be a simple fix
That is why I don't like these skirts, winter time maybe ok, but summer.... no way!
I agree, seems like a simple problem to address, not sure why there are no simple solutions though.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:16 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road

Ive used one of the skirt things, works a treat for sound but man it gets stinky hot fast.
Old 01-02-2016, 08:32 PM
SuperBike

what i have wonder is why the manus don't simply bring the helmet foam down farther below the helmet onto the neck. instead of a sharp angle from the edge straight across to your neck, it could go on more of an angle downward to the neck.

another idea might be to try an inflatable bladder around the bottom of the helmet

we put a man on the moon. there must be a solution for this