RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 05:06 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
what to do?

this is only a mild rant. nearly two months ago a friend of a buddy of mine offered to buy one of my paintball guns once his income tax came in. i have a tippmann a5 with a bunch of goodies on it he was going to buy and a nearly new smart parts sp1 that i was gonna keep for myself and just use for the odd time i may play or just screwing around. whatever the reason was the sp1 had less than 1000 ***** through it and has been used twice and ive had it since new.

the a5 has a blow through stock and needs a remote line to work. so the guy told me he'd buy the gun once his income tax came in and said he was going to play paintball and asked to borrow it for a night. ive hung out with him a few times, seemed like a nice enough guy, my buddy talked highly of him, so yeah why not. he came by and my remote line was leaking so he couldnt take the a5, so i told him id let him borrow my sp1. i didnt want him coming out to my place for no reason and being the nice guy i am i lent him the sp1. i ran a few drops of oil through it and cycled air through it, everything worked. all modes worked, the gun worked.

couple weeks go by, i forget hes got the gun. a month goes by and i ask my buddy where my gun is. said its not a huge deal as i dont play anymore but regardless id like my gun back. then we get onto a few nights ago. his buddy calls me tells me theres a problem with the gun. wtf. says it wont shoot and wont switch modes and the air tank is stuck to the gun.

so i tell him to bring it back to me and ill look at it. so he shows up and says that the gun started to act up a while ago and wouldnt work right so the place he takes it to took it apart and sorted it out somehow. first off, its my gun, i dont appreciate some no body taking it apart and ******* with it. common sense would have told me, if i have someones borrowed something and it starts to act up, ill get it back to them so that they can look at it before i use it any more. he also told me they changed the battery in it cause it died. so im wondering if they put it in backwards or shorted something out. anyways, so i look at it and notice the cap for the air tank is stuck in the gun and the bottle is unscrewing from it. he said the place couldnt figure out how to fix it. withint 30 seconds i knew the set screws had backed out and wouldnt you know it, i tightened them and got the bottle off. so this right there would have told me this new field is run by clowns.

so the problem now is that smart parts is no longer around. which means no more replacement parts. my buddy repairs paintball and airsoft guns and his buddy owns a big paintball shop thats done alot of work to my other gun so i know they know whats going on. they said the board is fried and likely the solenoid aswell. they couldnt fix it and said its basically a paper weight unless i wanna invest more than i paid for the gun to get it fixed with upgraded parts.

so i told the guy this and he said just to let him know what i wanna do with it. so i told him this, the gun was 180, the hopper 60, and 80 for the tank, i told him for 260 he can have it all and upgrade the guts. everything has been used by him more than it has by me. so he tells me it was likely defective and blah blah blah. so needless to say this is getting me no where. im trying to be nice about all of this but i dont think i should be out any money on this, as the gun worked when i gave it to him.

i just asked him about it and he tried telling me it didnt work right the first time he tried to use it. said it wouldnt switch modes. even though i fired it off for him in my basement. so im not sure what the hell to do, quite honestly hes a friend of a friend so i dont care if him and i dont hang out, id rather have the money for the gun i can no longer use. i know if i borrowed someones bike and crashed it id repair it without any questions.

if it was an older gun and it broke i wouldnt care and id split the cost with him or even swallow the cost. but this thing is literally brand new and has been used by him more than by me. so what do you think is fair?
Old 05-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Never loan anything you are not afraid to lose including money. I'd ask the friend of the friend one more time to make it right then chalk it up to experience. Use this incident to support a "No loan policy".
Old 05-01-2011, 06:54 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
well im talking with him about it again right now. he told me as soon as e got the field it was stuck in single fire mode. but i know for a fact it worked at my house because i checked it here and tested it infront of him. im not saying hes lieing, maybe he dropped it and a wire popped off the board. ill have to pull it apart and inspect it closely.

im waiting to see where this goes. im trying not to be pushy because im just too nice of a person but at the same time i wont lose out on a new gun because of my generosity.

i agree, and this incident has really opened my eyes on letting people borrow anything. unless i know the person well and know theyre going to replace it if they break it, i wont lend things out anymore.

just a little upset with the character of some people.