RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Stupid Employees

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 PM
Squid

JakeT is on a distinguished road
Stupid Employees

So first a little background I think. I work for a family owned/operated grocery story here on the island. Thing is its my family that owns and operates it. My uncle is the general manager and I am an assistant manager at this store and have been for the past 3 or 4 years. Started as a bag clerk, worked up to meat cutter, and up and up. Now that the background is taken care of I think I'll continue to the story. So yesterday(sunday) one of my cashier's daughter gets the flu. The cashier lives with her mother so her mother is at home watching the kids. The cashier then proceeds to ask me to leave to go home; why? I couldn't tell you. I'm a father I can tell you the flu will end when the flu ends. Me being there or not makes very little if any difference in that. So I say ok, she then tells one of the bag boys to carry our two cases of water to her car for her and she will pay for it. She goes upstairs and counts her til and goes home. Meanwhile I'm back at work saying hey did she pay for the water asking the other cashiers. They all give me a "I dunno". Seeing as how policy is no one is supposed to check themselves out I find it strange. I do some deeper digging and find out no she did not pay for the water. So I look up any unrecalled transaction or unreconciled transaction from the previous day(saturday). The same cashier had two transaction the day before that were hers that weren't paid for either, also found 2 other cashiers transaction weren't paid for.
At this point I'm still thinking it was an honest mistake I'll get her to even out her stuff tommorrow(Monday). After work about 2pm(we close at 1pm on sunday) I get a call from this very cashier. Asking me about why I'm going through old transactions and how another cashier whose transactions were in question called her concerned. At this point I realize something is going on. I scramble back to the store and print out transaction after transaction of all unpaid merchandise. Then I get out a nice 12 pack of corona and proceed to watch every single video of these transactions. The deeper I went the more of a problem I realized it was. If the original water cashier doesn't call me a 2nd time after hours to try and get info from me. I tell her I'm still looking into it and she will find out soon enough. Low and behold Monday morning she called in sick. By this point I have enough evidence to send 2 cashiers straight to Jail. Cigarettes are being put in bags, not run through the register and the transactions that are supposed to be being paid aren't. This is blatant theft and I will not tolerate it. After a meeting with the other board of directors, it was decided that we need to let these two employees go. I also pushed the fact that they should be dismissed not laid off. Over my dead body will two ex-employees that have stolen hundreds and hundreds of dollars be able to collect unemployment and sit on their asses at home while I'm busting my hump working for a living. Ugh sorry just had to get that off my chest.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:55 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JakeT
So first a little background I think. I work for a family owned/operated grocery story here on the island. Thing is its my family that owns and operates it. My uncle is the general manager and I am an assistant manager at this store and have been for the past 3 or 4 years. Started as a bag clerk, worked up to meat cutter, and up and up. Now that the background is taken care of I think I'll continue to the story. So yesterday(sunday) one of my cashier's daughter gets the flu. The cashier lives with her mother so her mother is at home watching the kids. The cashier then proceeds to ask me to leave to go home; why? I couldn't tell you. I'm a father I can tell you the flu will end when the flu ends. Me being there or not makes very little if any difference in that. So I say ok, she then tells one of the bag boys to carry our two cases of water to her car for her and she will pay for it. She goes upstairs and counts her til and goes home. Meanwhile I'm back at work saying hey did she pay for the water asking the other cashiers. They all give me a "I dunno". Seeing as how policy is no one is supposed to check themselves out I find it strange. I do some deeper digging and find out no she did not pay for the water. So I look up any unrecalled transaction or unreconciled transaction from the previous day(saturday). The same cashier had two transaction the day before that were hers that weren't paid for either, also found 2 other cashiers transaction weren't paid for.
At this point I'm still thinking it was an honest mistake I'll get her to even out her stuff tommorrow(Monday). After work about 2pm(we close at 1pm on sunday) I get a call from this very cashier. Asking me about why I'm going through old transactions and how another cashier whose transactions were in question called her concerned. At this point I realize something is going on. I scramble back to the store and print out transaction after transaction of all unpaid merchandise. Then I get out a nice 12 pack of corona and proceed to watch every single video of these transactions. The deeper I went the more of a problem I realized it was. If the original water cashier doesn't call me a 2nd time after hours to try and get info from me. I tell her I'm still looking into it and she will find out soon enough. Low and behold Monday morning she called in sick. By this point I have enough evidence to send 2 cashiers straight to Jail. Cigarettes are being put in bags, not run through the register and the transactions that are supposed to be being paid aren't. This is blatant theft and I will not tolerate it. After a meeting with the other board of directors, it was decided that we need to let these two employees go. I also pushed the fact that they should be dismissed not laid off. Over my dead body will two ex-employees that have stolen hundreds and hundreds of dollars be able to collect unemployment and sit on their asses at home while I'm busting my hump working for a living. Ugh sorry just had to get that off my chest.
Totally feel for you mate, I went through very similar crap in now my Ex food business, (watch for the following) caught employees doing the most crazy creative things like using friends credit/debit cards charging back to the card large sums from the business account thinking I wouldn't notice... or wouldn't know they are responsible. That's beside all the other food theft was coming out the main and back doors... Don't let these people win, stand your ground!
I think they should be reported to the authorities, cause someone else will suffer in their next job.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:22 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by NHSH
Totally feel for you mate, I went through very similar crap in now my Ex food business, (watch for the following) caught employees doing the most crazy creative things like using friends credit/debit cards charging back to the card large sums from the business account thinking I wouldn't notice... or wouldn't know they are responsible. That's beside all the other food theft was coming out the main and back doors... Don't let these people win, stand your ground!
I think they should be reported to the authorities, cause someone else will suffer in their next job.
Thanks NHSH, Yea caught retained employees are just looking for a way to screw you which is why I pushed so hard to have them immediately dismissed. They can't be trusted. We live in a small town so I'd like to keep the fact they are thieves somewhat under wraps for their sake. How ever I do see your side where they will suffer at their next job. Ironic thing is the mother of one of them was caught embezzling money from the credit union like 30 years ago. Like mother like daughter I guess.

Last edited by JakeT; 02-11-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:19 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Been managing restaurant and night clubs for 20yrs and this happens everywhere all the time. Usually when staff are "friends" with management. It constant but it still sickens me. I refuse to get immune to wrongness. Here where I live I had bikes and van stolen and the jaded police act like I deserved it.

Its bitter but better to keep tasting the bitter than become bitter yourself.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Back Marker

WhOrD is on a distinguished road
I managed a Starbucks. Pastry theft, free drink give-aways to hot girls / boys. Stealing tips. Manipulating the register.

The only reason I know about this is because I worked as a "barista" at one point.

Am I completely innocent? No, but I am also no longer 17 and have moved on to much better and more honest work (corporate IT Security slave labor.)

You have a decision to make. If she is a good employee who adds to customer service, let her know "YOU KNOW." If you have 100% proof have her sign a document stating that what she did is forgiven but one more slip up and she is gone.

We are all at will employees (at least in CA) I can be let go anytime for no reason at all.

There are enough hard working Americans / Immigrants that will take her job for less pay and work harder to boot.

This is a buyers market currently...take advantage of that.

Mr. International Business <out>
Old 02-12-2013, 04:21 PM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
theft is wrong . NO EXCEPTIONS!! I hate thieves and will not even entertain the thought of letting one get away with it. First off there are enough good people out here that would help someone (if they only asked first) , so to steal is no excuse. I say turn them into the authorities. To allow them to proceed is what these people count on with only a simple slap on the wrist and thus they never learn. A good smack of a lock on bars for an extended 5 pointed star vacation usually will wake them up to what reality is.. JMO
Old 02-12-2013, 09:43 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by wsharpman
theft is wrong . NO EXCEPTIONS!! I hate thieves and will not even entertain the thought of letting one get away with it. First off there are enough good people out here that would help someone (if they only asked first) , so to steal is no excuse. I say turn them into the authorities. To allow them to proceed is what these people count on with only a simple slap on the wrist and thus they never learn. A good smack of a lock on bars for an extended 5 pointed star vacation usually will wake them up to what reality is.. JMO
I think the worst part, as in this case is that it goes on to the next generation with the notion that it's OK to steal or as they look at that "to beat the system", that's how they end up abusing social systems as well that intended for the once in real need, if they get more ambitious they go for a bigger and bigger pray.
It's a constant straggle, but if you don't act, it would be like approving there wrong doing, so they can move on and enjoy another win.
If you report them to the authorities, at the list, some one else can find that in a background check and prevent loses.

In Saudi Arabia, Nigeria, Iran, Yemen and couple other countries they still cutting your right hand off for theft.
Well, not suggesting to go that extreme but I'm sure these poor people will not steal again or else there will be nothing to steal with
Old 02-13-2013, 07:04 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I had to leave my last job managing an 8k sq ft club in manhattan due to this. I kept telling the owners that there was theft but they seemed to not care. I even caught one girl red handed stealing $3-400 of liquor but they let her off cuz she was friends with the mgr they were friends with.

Eventually they hired pro spotters and found out I was right. Their first response was to say it was "managements fault for letting it happen".

Their solution was to call every one of 60 employees in one at a time & tell them "so&so ratted on you for stealing" & try to get them to turn on each other.

I agree. Stealing is wrong on its own (and by the 10 commandments). Its not ok if you arent getting caught.

As for the mid east countries. I think its a bad example. Isam has written into it that crimes like lying and rape & murder are OK under certain circumstances. Mohamed himself lyed, raped and murdered but justified it based on situaional ethics. I wouldn't put a ton of trunst in that system.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Squid

Lol thanks guys I agree they should be sent to the authorities as I don't want another employer going through the same thing i had to with them. Though the board of directors does not agree and in the end its their decisions. Letting them go they think is harsh enough, hopefully them being let go will deter others that weren't caught from trying this crap again.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:02 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Yeah, but. . .

Where is all the proclamation about incompetent management being retrained to competetly address the problem? Just chest-thumping, threats and a couple of firings don't change things, things change because the lead people change. Firings and prosecutions don't change things, it just churns the staffing and the new hires don't know what went before. Same play just different actors.

People, in general, are the same where ever you go. Without involved leadership they will do as little as they can for the paycheck they get. Give them leadership mixed with affection and they will slave for minimum wage. Employee theft isn't the disease, it's the symptom.

Trust me on this: When an employee "owns" their job, company profits go up.
the CEO that hires a consultant doesn't own his own job, the CEO who spends time on the docks and in the trenches does. The forklift operator who is known to that CEO responds with territoriality and owns his area of responsibility. Less grief in the warehouse equates to smoother operations.

One can't lead from the front while pushing in the rear. (There's a pun if you look for it)
Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by PUSHrod
Yeah, but. . .

Where is all the proclamation about incompetent management being retrained to competetly address the problem? Just chest-thumping, threats and a couple of firings don't change things, things change because the lead people change. Firings and prosecutions don't change things, it just churns the staffing and the new hires don't know what went before. Same play just different actors.

People, in general, are the same where ever you go. Without involved leadership they will do as little as they can for the paycheck they get. Give them leadership mixed with affection and they will slave for minimum wage. Employee theft isn't the disease, it's the symptom.

Trust me on this: When an employee "owns" their job, company profits go up.
the CEO that hires a consultant doesn't own his own job, the CEO who spends time on the docks and in the trenches does. The forklift operator who is known to that CEO responds with territoriality and owns his area of responsibility. Less grief in the warehouse equates to smoother operations.

One can't lead from the front while pushing in the rear. (There's a pun if you look for it)
+1 agreed, unfortunately it is difficult to implement in some businesses especially when you have cash flow in the hands of the employees, greed will take over no matter what system you introduce. There for, only strong management will do the job, the employees need to know ahead they are going to be responsible for their future actions and pay for them.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:30 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Good responses from the Hawk Class.

I can understand the BoD's not wanting to press charges but that might set a bad precedent to the current employees. I would have a meeting and explain to the staff what has happened. Further, I would reward the good employees - bonuses, days off, whatever. People want to feel part of your success, just not another number in the accounting.

And make sure you keep on checking on all items to make sure this doesn't continue. The Eye in the Sky must always be on in a cash business.