RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Squids

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 05:56 PM
KindredGhost
Back Marker

KindredGhost is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
It's gonna happen a lot more now that the weather is getting nicer.

+1.

Yeah, and gas is getting more expensive...
Old 01-02-2008, 07:44 PM
Back Marker

bluevtr
I've noticed that after wearing gear for all these years (f/f helmet, mesh armored jacket and good gloves, at the minimum) I really can't ride without it. It's like driving without a seatbelt, just feels strange. I drove around my neighborhood without a helmet a few times after washing the bike, and didn't care for it at all. Never went out onto public roads, mind you, but still, the wind noise and mechanical clatter was annoying at best. Guess it's what you get used to. Without a jacket and gloves, I feel very vulnerable, and ride like crap, because I'm constantly worried about something. And there's no WAY I could go to the mountains and ride semi-aggressively without padded jacket/pants, dedicated M/C boots, and gloves. Wouldn't be able to concentrate on the task at hand. And for those who bitch about the heat, try wearing a ballistic vest every day in central florida, and a mesh jacket feels like damn air conditioning!!
Old 01-02-2008, 10:26 PM
WERA #44
Superstock

happytrack44 is on a distinguished road
I saw both of my kneecaps from the outside once. Had on jeans, thermals, military parka, boots gloves and full face. Did a 65 mph highside over a golden lab on rough English asphalt. Bike hit me once, kicked away from it. 6 weeks of debrieding wounds in hospital with wet to dry dressings and physical therapy to rebuild muscles.
I always wear dead cow or mesh armor in summer. I get nervous with the mesh.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:19 AM
PB215C
Squid

DaddyDuby is on a distinguished road
Without a helmet law here in NH I have seen some stuff that will make you puke! I see that this thread has been going on for about a year now and I think it is great. Hopefully it is getting the word out to all the squids out there.

Went through toll booth one day in my 05 corolla that I had at the time and two sport bikes roll through in front of me. I would like to be about to tell you what kind of bikes they were but it was a little dark and I never got close enough. I first saw the riders at the booth and neither had helmets on. They were bother wearing sweatshirts, jeans and sneakers. Imediately I began calling them dummies like I always do when all of a sudden one of them lifts the bike up as they come out of the toll booth. He continued to ride his wheely for about a mile getting faster and faster the hole time. The corolla was having a hard time accelerating fast enough to keep up. Fortunately he was able to hold it the hole time and set it down nice and easy and continue off of his exit ramp without incident. It seems to me some one with the ability to do such a thing would have enough experience to know that sometimes it doesn't go the way you plan.....
Old 01-22-2008, 11:52 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by bluevtr
I've noticed that after wearing gear for all these years (f/f helmet, mesh armored jacket and good gloves, at the minimum) I really can't ride without it. It's like driving without a seatbelt, just feels strange. I drove around my neighborhood without a helmet a few times after washing the bike, and didn't care for it at all. Never went out onto public roads, mind you, but still, the wind noise and mechanical clatter was annoying at best. Guess it's what you get used to. Without a jacket and gloves, I feel very vulnerable, and ride like crap, because I'm constantly worried about something. And there's no WAY I could go to the mountains and ride semi-aggressively without padded jacket/pants, dedicated M/C boots, and gloves. Wouldn't be able to concentrate on the task at hand. And for those who bitch about the heat, try wearing a ballistic vest every day in central florida, and a mesh jacket feels like damn air conditioning!!
+1,000!!!!... on the bullet proof vests being hot... speaking of which, if you go to galls.com or any other law enforcement websites, you can find a product called Vest Guard. It is made to spray ballistic vests and stuff like that with, but this stuff is awesome for spraying your leathers/jackets/gloves (read "hard to wash items") with. I had some sitting around and i finally put 2 and 2 together, and it works very well. heres where you can pick some up.....
http://www.galls.com/style.html?asso...og&style=BP076

or go to a local law enforcement supply store. They usually carry it.

Last edited by Condor; 01-23-2008 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:11 PM
KindredGhost
Back Marker

KindredGhost is on a distinguished road
Sorry for bringing back an old thread... I just found out today that one of my coworkers was hit by a van on his bike and passed away.

I never really worked with the guy, as we are in different departments, and i feel bad about it... but I can't help but to feel a slightly apathetic... he was 22 years old, and didn't have his R6 for even 2 weeks. I don't even think he had his license or had even taken a msf course.

Does this make me an *******? Isn't this a case of "Play with matches, and you'll get burned"?

I feel for him and his family... but seriuosly... ride a bike like you have some sense. This is the first person that I've known personally that has died on a bike.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:03 AM
MotoGP

ghopki1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by KindredGhost
+1.

Yeah, and gas is getting more expensive...
I noticed a whole lot more bikes on the road last summer. I believe the fuel prices were the reason.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:23 PM
Back Marker

lukenukem47 is on a distinguished road
Bikes

Here in Michigan it's nuts. If you go out on a warm day you can help but run into a biker at every intersection. It's the most amount of bikes that I have ever seen. You know it's bad when used car lots are selling bikes to keep up with the trend.