RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Squids

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 03:27 PM
Back Marker

rooster is on a distinguished road
Squids

I know I dont have enough riding experince to judge others but there is a very high rate of squidy riders in the Chattanooga area. I see more riders wearing tanktops gym shorts and tennis shoes than I do good equipment. For example about 9 months ago I meet a guy at a gas station on 2006 GSXR1000(found out later he used his girlfreind's student loan to pay "cash" for it). As we were talking he was giving me a had time about the chicken stips on the back of my tire. I then proceded to ask him where he rode his bike (Deals Blue Ridge, hwy 64, 68), all he could tell me was aroud in the Chattanooga area. He didn't even know those locations or how to get there. He is of course wearing the squid uniform I just described above. I asked him what gear he wears; he just looked at me funny and said shorts and a t-shirt. I guess he drags a knee thru the turns. He then told me I needed to ride with him and his buddies and he would show me how to ride with my legs on the windshield. I just smiled and told him "no thanks". He did not have any chick strips on his tire thou. My guess is he let a buddy ride it.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:45 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
It's gonna happen a lot more now that the weather is getting nicer.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:46 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Ah yes, a member of the "Image R Us" crowd. He is obviously trying to compensate for some type of physiological deficiency .

If he manages to survive the GSX-R, he will surely move on to that other staple of the squid/poser crowd, the Harley (hopefully sooner rather than later). The sad part about all of this is that it's ********* like this that cause our insurance rates to go up (here in Quebec anyhow). The truth is this phenomenon exists in most other pursuits (snowmobiling for example). Oh well.....
Old 03-13-2007, 04:13 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I had a nice chat with the motorcycle cops that wrote the guy up for my wreck. They were very complimentary about my gear and got a big chuckle about my version of knee/shin protectors. I got the idea from Captain Chaos on this forum. The badges that ride bikes are not allowed to wear gear other than what is issued by the department. They wear nothing other than their BP vest and regular uniform. Part of their regular uniform is high boots but that's it - no armor - not even the cheap stuff.

The younger of the two had been in a bad wreck on his personal motorcycle while wearing full gear when there was a wreck in front of him. He got his bike stopped but the lady behind him didn't. She plowed him from the backside and crashed him into one of the crashed vehicles in front of him. The list was long but included broke leg, pelvis, 4 ribs, collar bone, punctured lung and some others that I'm forgetting. The final thing that saved his life was his Joe Rocket jacket. The back protector kept the passenger peg from coming through his jacket and puncturing his heart. This guy lived through dying ten different ways before he lived because of his gear.

I don't work for Joe Rocket - don't even own any of their gear but I will NOT ride without it. I don't care who's gear you ride with - if you're not wearing it, you're not riding with me!
Old 03-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Back Marker

He did have a shaved head and tats on one arm. Could go either way Harley or Busa. The 160 horse 1000 was not enough because he told me head work and the bottle were next on the list. Im just mad because he got a "real sportbike" and i am stuck with this reliable commuter that is so much fun to ride on the street. I believe he is a little full of himself.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:28 PM
MotoGP

That may be but he's about that{ }******* far from being splattered all over the street!
Old 03-13-2007, 06:03 PM
Back Marker

Darkone22 is on a distinguished road
U know thats funny i live about 20 mins from chat. and u do see people in shorts and flipflops up there , i do have good riding gear but when the weather gets nice i do just ware a shirt, paints and shoes. look me up some time and we will go ride.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Superstock

Duck007 is on a distinguished road
One of the first things they told us at the MSF course I took to get my license way back when was DON'T DRESS FOR THE RIDE, DRESS FOR THE FALL. Always made sense to me. I don't have a full suit, but I use a J.R. jacket, gloves and boots every time I get on, even put on the Icon leg armor 75% of the time.....just can't stand the thought of an unprotected knee hitting the asphalt in a low side.....
Old 03-13-2007, 06:44 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Duck007
I don't have a full suit, but I use a J.R. jacket, gloves and boots every time I get on, even put on the Icon leg armor 75% of the time.....just can't stand the thought of an unprotected knee hitting the asphalt in a low side.....
Find the post about "20mph lowside" from last fall and you'll see what I mean about leg armor! It's a little graphic but we're all big boys here, right? Friends help friends stay alive and safe!
Old 03-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

PJay is on a distinguished road
And another aspect - the only people I've ever seen ride any distance without proper gear were full of non-prescription medications...wind chill wrecks your life without proper clothing. Then you can't think, can't concentrate, do crash.

Just keep away from these ********* on the road. The blood is awful hard to wash off your tires.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Squid

vtrlvr is on a distinguished road
Florida is the same way.

Man i am with you. I hate that crap. There are a lot of flat roads down here in florida but jeez i could lean down farther in a parking lot than most of these guys do on curves. When i bought my 04 hawk the guy was a major squid. On the test drive i made new marks on the tire than he had made on the tire in 3 years. He was the original owner and hat the original tire on there. But yea it is very tempting down here to go with a jacket, but i would rather be a little hot than having to deal with road rash. I have the joe rocket jacket that has a the holes in it so it isnt too bad. Keep the rubber side down and not only watch out for yourself but others too.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:28 PM
Superstock

HRCVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
I used to think this way ( tee shirt & jeans ) , But now everytime I can afford it I buy another piece of gear . Now JR jacket is mandatory no matter how hot it is ! JR jeans ( not much better than reg jeans, well maybe a little) , JR gloves always, just finally got some riding boots, Right now I am trying to find some Leathers that I can afford ( even if they are used or rashed ) to use in the mountains or track days and probably the street too !
Old 03-13-2007, 08:46 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I dress based on the situation.

Commuting: Helmet, gloves (preferably leather), textile touring, perf. leather or mesh jacket (depending on the weather), reg. pants, reg. shoes.

Sport Riding: Leather boots, leather pants, leather jacket (or textile touring jacket, if it's a low key ride), helmet, armored leather gloves.

I try not to criticize what any rider wears or doesn't wear. I have a friend that always wears a hardshell back protector on sport rides. I don't, though i think it's a smart idea. We're all a bit "squidish" just to be riding these things, right?

It does gripe me to see a girl riding on the back in sandals & tanktop. She likely has no clue to the injuries she'll face in a crash. Dress however you like, but take care of your passengers for pete's sake!
Old 03-13-2007, 09:16 PM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
I do wear a Alpinestar jacket, Icon superduty pants, and AGV gloves. Just ordered some Alpinestar S-MX plus boots too, because I love to run, and losing the ability to run because of a stupid lowside would bug me for the rest of my life.

Next will be a leather 1-piece suit, but I want a good one used for half price or better, so I'll have to wait.

That said, I also pedal road bike. I only have a helmet on when doing that, and am going 20-40 most of the time without the option of acceleration and a lane. I actually think it is SAFER to ride a motorcycle with just a bike helmet than a pedal bike that way. I have no problem with people who don't wear full gear around town...if that is literally all they are doing and keeping it at 35-40 mph. That is an acceptable risk if you pedal bike, but seems to get dismissed as squidish if done on a bike.

Remember...I'm not condoning that, but I do think that most of us would pedal bike without a 1-piece leather suit, so unless I see the person dressed in sandals and a t-shirt out of town, I say whatever....
Old 03-14-2007, 09:11 AM
Squid

chrisf608
Cool

Yeah, Ive seen it time and time again Im sure everyone has. There is tons of posers in my area around Beaver Dam, WI all with the backwards ball cap and no shirt, Thinkin they are the **** all hitting on the underage chicks and such. They all talk big and bad with the brand new GSXR 1000's talkin like they been riding for years but this is their first bike. One kid says to me "You like wearing all that crap!" and i Replied "One day when you see your smart talking buddy over there hit the pavment youll wise up" These punks are more focused on doing stand ups and endos then saftey these days geez!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:55 PM
Back Marker

I have seen guys going 80+ down the hwy with nothing more than shorts and a shirt. I wander would there be anything left of them by the time the body came to a stop. My gear consist of a tex. jacket, leather HRC jacket, touring boots, Oxtar boots, Teknic leather pants, gloves and HJC helmet. Jacket gloves boots are the min. equipment I wear even if I am just going down to the store. My luck would be the day I didnt would be the day the wreck happened. I know eventualy I am going to take a fall, I just want to make sure I am prepared to get back up. Like Nanotech stated I too have other hobbies I like to do also.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:26 PM
MotoGP

My fav is the squid to a rider, "Why you wear all that stuff?" Rider replies, "My race team was fresh out of gauze & plaster!"
Old 03-14-2007, 06:28 PM
Long Member
Back Marker

flyin_hawk is on a distinguished road
My girlfriend would always bug me about having to wear at the minimum, shoes that aren't open toe or back, pants, gloves and a helmet when she would ride double with me. Now that she rides and took a motorcycle course, she owns two riding jackets, two pairs of gloves, a helmet (of course) and boots. I couldn't live with myself if she ended up maimed because I was the idiot who let her ride unprepared. As a pilot you are trained to take full responsibility for your aircraft and its passengers; the same goes for a motorcycle... unless you want to be haunted by your own stupidity. As far as dressing yourself, that's up to you. There are plenty more Darwin awards waiting to be handed out.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Long Member
Back Marker

flyin_hawk is on a distinguished road
Oh, and flip-flops....WTF, how do you shift?
Old 03-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Back Marker

supertwinSH is an unknown quantity at this point
A wise man once told me "Cover what you want to keep!....I like it all so I cover it all!" That was said by Reg Pridmore at the CLASS riding course I took in 91 and I live by those words.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:47 PM
MotoGP

Old 03-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Back Marker

timdske is on a distinguished road
I never use to wear any gear. Just a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. I would
scoff at the guys not wearing shirts, but here I am just wearing a t-shirt.
The moment I found out I was going to be a Daddy, I put the helmet on
I have an Alpinestars textile jacket w/armor for the summer and my leather
for when the weather gets cold, I also have the Icon jeans and the
draggin jeans. Their great. I also wear steel toe boots. I had a friend that
if he would have been wearing regular shoes he would have lost his toes when
he got into an accident. I was also reading, according to NHTSA stats, that
the overall increase in motorcycle fatalities from '93 to '02 occurred in riders
older than 40 on bikes larger than 1000 cc. The cause was middle age
v-twin crusers with out experience and lack of protection.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:36 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by timdske
according to NHTSA stats, that
the overall increase in motorcycle fatalities from '93 to '02 occurred in riders
older than 40 on bikes larger than 1000 cc. The cause was middle age
v-twin crusers with out experience and lack of protection.

During the Sturgis Rally you should see some of the people riding. They almost fall over when stopping if the forget they are on a motorcycle, or have to put their foot down when turning because they fall in too far....plus I've personally seen 2 people not be able to turn a corner at low speeds (35 mph) and go straight into the ditch. The cruiser crowd that only ride their bikes once a year plus they don't wear squat for protection. 2 people died on a local tight section of road, because of inexperience, and they are trying to blame it on the road being too fast (45mph) when anyone with experience would find that slow.

That is a crowd that has more squids than sportbikes here! Except they are older and the image is "accepted" so people leave them alone. By putting pressure on sportbike riders we are encouraging good habits and protection...I am glad boots, helmets, jackets, and gloves can look "cool" on my bike. I know some people who refuse to dress like that on their cruisers.

That is my disjointed rant for the evening.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
We went to Daytona last weekend to see trailer week and I am glad to report that the vast majority of sportbike riders were wearing fullface helmets and riding jackets. the cruiser guys were riding (?) with no helmets, boots, et. al. IMHO very few riders of any kind display much, if any, riding skills or knowledge but at least the sportbikers are starting to embrace the protective gear as being cool and bitchin'.
Oh, and the latest tally on the news reports only 8 deaths ! amazing, what with all the curves and cliffs and high speed roads that Daytona has ! OK, that was sarcasm.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Back Marker

Yup that is kinda the way it is here too...at least it is flat so there aren't more deaths down your way...that has to be quite the wknd..I'd like to get there to witness it!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Nanotech
Yup that is kinda the way it is here too...at least it is flat so there aren't more deaths down your way...that has to be quite the wknd..I'd like to get there to witness it!
I just thought about this: Sturgis is bigger than bikeweek but we have a sizable turnout of sportbikes and they have a couple of hangouts that the cruisers don't bother with. this is good. still, I hear you've got some nice roads and scenery up there.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:07 PM
Back Marker

I bet there are only 50-100 extra sportbikes in town during the rally...with the beautiful curves and scenery we have, I think we could really put on a good sportbike rally too. Lots of campgrounds, national and state parks, rushmore all connected by curvy, low traffic roads.

Maybe it will happen!
Old 03-14-2007, 09:49 PM
Back Marker

MisterMohawk
My favorite display of squidliness is the helmet set atop the head, not worn ON the head, despite the helmet law and common sense. Why? It's too hot for a helmet, one guy told me. Not too hot for a coma, though...
Old 01-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Squid

tapatio is on a distinguished road
I used to ride in jeans and a teknic leather jacket, gloves, helmet, boots.

Now: One piece Spidi suit, Alpine Stars gloves, Teknic boots.

I once skinned one my big right toe (long story, not motorcycle related). At the doctors office I had to endure him scrubbing the wound with disinfectant for what felt like an hour. Extreme pain, finally I said just stick a needle in it (pain medication he initially offered and I refused). I didn't feel the needle go in there was soo much existing pain.

Lesson learned: Wear full leathers. I'll pass on disinfectant scrubbing and potentially skin graphs.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:39 PM
Squid

quiksliver is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up To wear or not to wear? Stupid Question

I read all the way through this forum and i have came too a conclusion, everybody is worried about when they wreck. You see even though it is great to be prepared for when you wreck, i think its not a good enough excuse just because u think your just going to the store and dont need to gear up because its only 3 blocks. yah your chances are less because your not goin as far, all it takes is 1 ignorant jack a$$ to not see you or run a red light or in my case let there foot off the brakes as your going into the corner and next thing u know your piled up in the gutter and your sweet one owner never downed bike is now an insurance claim. yah bad day for me!

I work 3 blocks from the shop that i bought my bike from and the day i bought it i cruised back to work with my icon field armor back protector gloves and helmet and felt naked, and nervous. maybe cause on my way back i watched a fellow rider get ran over because some dick blew a red light because he was talking on the phone and didnt see the bike.

you see every time i get on my bike even if im goin to dinner 3 blocks away i wear all my gear!! all it takes is one other persons slight bit of ignorance to put you in the hospital!!

So i say to Squids and riders alike we are INVISIBLE when we ride no matter how much bright colored gear we wear or how loud our pipes are, it doesnt matter that much.

Just put on the gear it only takes a second to prevent a lifetime of misoury!

Quick Reply: Squids