RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Something Europe Does Better

Old 07-27-2010, 09:07 AM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
Something Europe Does Better

Now I hope some of the Europeans on here like Tweety can back me up on this. I sat at 2 stop lights yesterday for more than 2 minutes each. During these 2 minutes not a single car came through the light. I just sat there waiting on no one. I hate stoplights. I don't know how it is on the mainland but in England there are Roundabouts where America would normally have stoplights. The Roundabout, IMO, is a brilliant idea. And it amazes me that America has not caught on to it.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

poppazuti is on a distinguished road
We have a few roundabouts in the town where I live and I try to avoid it because people are too unpredictable at it. Some treat it like a 4 way stop while others just assume they have the right of way and don't even attempt to slow down. Luckily it's not at a major intersection. I think most American drivers are too distracted for it to work on a large scale.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:16 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... I have a love/hate relationship to roundabouts, but yeah they reduce waiting for red lights when nobody is around...

The good part... You get to drag a knee without going stupidly fast... The bad... The cagers usually try to run you over... Not to different from other places, but in a larger roundabout you have the lanes "slung" out in a spiral to meet the outgoing roads, and cagers "forget" to use their signals when going from the inside lane to the outside... Very amusing when you are on a bike in the outside lane...

Smaller roundabouts I just consider a "flick-flack"... Moderate throttle, right-left-right, full power...
Old 07-27-2010, 09:20 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by poppazuti
We have a few roundabouts in the town where I live and I try to avoid it because people are too unpredictable at it. Some treat it like a 4 way stop while others just assume they have the right of way and don't even attempt to slow down. Luckily it's not at a major intersection. I think most American drivers are too distracted for it to work on a large scale.
Dunno exactly how your rules are set up, but around here it's simple... Vehicles in the roundabout have the right of way, vehicles coming in yields... Bikepaths and pedestrians obviously are treated normal ie right of way from right leaving or entering the roundabout... The one thing people have problems with is the same thing as in all other places... They don't signal, since they know where they are going, that's unneccesary... Right?!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Tweety
Dunno exactly how your rules are set up, but around here it's simple... Vehicles in the roundabout have the right of way, vehicles coming in yields... Bikepaths and pedestrians obviously are treated normal ie right of way from right leaving or entering the roundabout... The one thing people have problems with is the same thing as in all other places... They don't signal, since they know where they are going, that's unneccesary... Right?!
That's about the way it should work here... but the issue is when two vehicles approach it at the same time, instead of treating it like a 4 way (yielding to vehicle on right) it seems to be who's quicker on the gas gets to go first.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:31 AM
MotoGP

Heh... Around here that rule is called "stupid goes first"... It works fairly well unless two lorry's meet, then it's stupid on stupid and they both have the tonnage...

Oh I forgot, around here most bikepaths are raised and the rules are simple... You yield to bicycles on raised bikepaths or you screw up the suspension on your car...

With bikes it works a bit different... The most comfortable way of crossing those is to lift the front and set it down on the raised area... Then you only get the bumb on the rear wheel... For some reason bicycles keep out of the way when you do that...

Last edited by Tweety; 07-27-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
People here in Texas don't react to well to roundabouts. There is confusion over who has the right of way in spite of the posted signs. Some roundabouts give right of way to the vehicles already in it but others give right of way to vehicles entering especially if from a two lane (in each direction) of travel. Usually my head is on a swivel too much to really enjoy them because it is definately a danger zone. We have much to learn from other countries in this matter but I will say that once I was driving from London to Nottingham it seemed like there was a roundabout every 2 miles. Very annoying. Another thing that perplexes cagers is the double left hand turn lanes. Safest bet is to be in the inside lane because the cagers will usually swing wide to the outside lane regardless of the lane striping.

Last edited by RWhisen; 07-28-2010 at 03:32 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:14 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
It all comes down to idiot drivers and lack of enforcement...did I just say "lack of enforcement"?

Several areas in San Diego County have installed roundabouts, single lane small ones. Some drivers seem confused, while others seem oblivious to any other vehicles using the same roundabout. Like was stated above, whoever gets on the gas first has the right-of-way. I haven't tried one of these on my VTR yet, and I'm not looking forward to doing so. Use at your own risk...here in the USA anyway.

Also, I should add, there is a famous local "traffic circle" in "Old Towne" Orange, California. It's been there for almost 100 years, and works quite well. But it's also located at the center of the old retail district where traffic moves at a slow pace. And it's quite large for the speed that the vehicles are traveling.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 07-27-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:36 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
I have a rotary right outside of my work that I use every morning, the lines are blatantly painted in the road and it seems like when people make a wrong turn or no blinker with a change other people driving rip them apart for being so stupid. I've heard "learn the lines!" and "stay in your lane, C*NT" as far as "nice blinker f*ck head!! get a damn license!!" to put it lightly.
I guess the conclusion here is that there is no law enforcement in proximity except for the other people currently using the rotary and around here if you make a mistake you will pay if you're wrong whether it's an *** kicking or insurance claim. People like me who use this rotary every day always get hot-headed if another person messes up, but that has to be how it is.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:43 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by poppazuti
I wonder if "American drivers" includes the thousands of immigrant women I see who never drove anything other than a goat cart in their lives but who come here and get driver's licenses? They add yet another frightening component to the mix.

I don't know if roundabouts would work here, but I know that red lights are engineered for cars, not bikes; they suck.

Last edited by killer5280; 07-27-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Back Marker

NH-Raptor is on a distinguished road
Here in New Hampshire the proximity switches in the ground which pick up there is a vehicle present at the light do not always sense a motorcycle because of the smaller mass and you just sit there light change after light change. If a car doesn't come up behind you to help after two light changes you can legally go through the light traffic permitting of course. I do agree with poppazuti and do my best to avoid the roundabouts we have here
Old 07-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Back Marker

kj4kym is on a distinguished road
tn state has a law that if a motorcycle sits at a red light and nothing come and its still clear you can procead through it like its a yield sign
Old 07-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Back Marker

Furrybiker is on a distinguished road
Not too far from me we have the roundabout to end all roundabouts, let me explain.

Imagine a two lane roundabout, but at each road entrance there is a mini roundabout, so you can go round either way! It scares some people so badly they drive 10 miles to avoid it.

It is ok in a car but on the bike my head nearly comes off trying to look in all directions at once.

Just found this...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_R...l_Hempstead%29
Old 07-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Head Scratcher
Back Marker

I feel fortunate to live in a "bicycle friendly community" as all of the light sensors in city limits can pick up bicycles. Turn lanes included. The only one I've ever encountered that gives me trouble on a motorcycle is rarely empty save for late at night, which at that point I do as has been stated above and go through it once it's clear.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:13 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road

These are becoming more common here in the UK!

http://www.cbrd.co.uk/histories/roundabouts/

I did stumble upon a roundabout in the US a decade ago - Clearwater Florida IIRC - it needed a fulltime policeman on hand to help folk negotiate it

Old 07-28-2010, 04:26 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
I live just outside of Niagara falls Canada and wehave one here. Usually people are about to getthrough it ok. But were into tourist season. We were on the bikes last week and onour ride we usually end up at it. Well it must have been confusing for some as I watched one guy do 3 laps and look completely lost and another had problems maintaining the turn and almost hit the curb a couple times. Granted this is a small roundabout but still too confusing for some people. Probably why we dont have very many. It's one of those things people need tobe born into and not introduced into later in life I think :-)
Old 07-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Europe also has way cooler motorcycle models.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:57 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Furrybiker
That's a perfect example of what could very aptly be called...a clusterf*#k.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:41 AM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
In South Carolina they actually have a motorcycle law that states that we can proceed through red lights if its safe to do like say at 0430 in the morning. I think the rule is you wait 30 seconds or something like that then go on thru.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:18 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
That's a perfect example of what could very aptly be called...a clusterf*#k.
That thing would indeed scare me... There are no such abominations in Sweden...

The dumbest I have seen so far is roundabouts with lights inside them... The guy that thought that up should be shot on sight...
For whatever reason Denmark seems to like signals in roundabouts... Especially in Copenhagen...
Old 07-29-2010, 04:36 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
That thing would indeed scare me... There are no such abominations in Sweden...

The dumbest I have seen so far is roundabouts with lights inside them... The guy that thought that up should be shot on sight...
For whatever reason Denmark seems to like signals in roundabouts... Especially in Copenhagen...
maybe in copenhagen the people arent "fast" enough to figure out how to make continuous turns so they need lights to give them a break?
Old 08-01-2010, 05:39 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Not too far from me we have the roundabout to end all roundabouts, let me explain.

Imagine a two lane roundabout, but at each road entrance there is a mini roundabout, so you can go round either way! It scares some people so badly they drive 10 miles to avoid it.

It is ok in a car but on the bike my head nearly comes off trying to look in all directions at once.

Just found this...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_R...l_Hempstead%29
Hesu Criste! that is a clusterfuck. Imagine coming up on that while texting your girlfriend, and a cigarette in your mouth. Unbelievable.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:38 AM
MotoGP

Sometimes it's not what people do, it's what they don't do. They don't invade and occupy countries that have done nothing to them. They don't maintain troops and bases all over the freaking world in places where there is no threat. They don't have a CIA undermining, assassinating, and putting puppets in control in every third world country that has resources to exploit, and they are not so arrogant to think that their way of life, their beliefs, and their political system is better than others and should be propagated everywhere, etcera. Let's face it, most Americans are selfish, aggressive, arrogant, wasteful, greedy and lack any understanding and/or control of self.

Of course, these descriptors do not necessarily apply to members of the Unofficial Superhawk Forum as we are all a caring, selfless, humble, knowlegeable, introspective group who are merely victims of a corrupt political system we no longer have any control over. Good morning folks!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:45 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
Sometimes it's not what people do, it's what they don't do. They don't invade and occupy countries that have done nothing to them. They don't maintain troops and bases all over the freaking world in places where there is no threat. They don't have a CIA undermining, assassinating, and putting puppets in control in every third world country that has resources to exploit, and they are not so arrogant to think that their way of life, their beliefs, and their political system is better than others and should be propagated everywhere, etcera. Let's face it, most Americans are selfish, aggressive, arrogant, wasteful, greedy and lack any understanding and/or control of self.

Of course, these descriptors do not necessarily apply to members of the Unofficial Superhawk Forum as we are all a caring, selfless, humble, knowlegeable, introspective group who are merely victims of a corrupt political system we no longer have any control over. Good morning folks!
Should be in the Obamination thread?
Old 08-02-2010, 07:46 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Lol nath, well said
Old 08-02-2010, 08:16 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road

Good save! hahaha
Old 08-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Back Marker

Well you see we did it all a long time ago, the British Empire was like this. We ruled India in this way and enslaved parts of the Far East by getting them hooked on opium. You haven't tried that one yet unless you count Hollywood and McDonalds as a drug!
Old 08-02-2010, 09:19 AM
MotoGP

Well you see we did it all a long time ago, the British Empire was like this. We ruled India in this way and enslaved parts of the Far East by getting them hooked on opium. You haven't tried that one yet unless you count Hollywood and McDonalds as a drug!
you are correct, and to a lesser degree the remnants of this are still active in Africa, India and many other smaller countries. I always detested this neoandathol King/Queen Euro colonization thing, but was hoping that instead of the US continuing this dispicable practice, a civilized nation should evolve in a more positive direction in lieu of merely maintaining mindless historical atrocities. Europe has at least subsided quite a bit in terms of this type of arrogant stupitidy whereas the US is going in the opposite and taking it to a whole new level.

I don't believe this is the will of the average US citizen, who are largely a cross between apathetic and brainwashed, again excluding present company haha, but the result of greedy, controlling people who manage special interest groups and large corporations who have gradually usurped our democracy over the last century.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:22 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jbaxx
Good save! hahaha
I'm not as dumb as i look, but then again, it's all relative huh?
Old 08-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Back Marker

I dont suppose it really makes much difference but at least you elected the politicos that are ruining your country.

We are ruled by the EU who seem to have hoodwinked our political class into being turkeys voting for christmas, why do we need a government that is little more than a glorified town council? They want an EU army a unified banking system and legal framework. How can one size fit all the citizens of such a diverse continent, it cant, just look at the problems of Greece at the moment, and yet in Germany and France things are comparatively good

It seems that every no hope or dishonest politician gets sent to the EU to line their own nest and screw up the continent, the EU commissioners(the real power) are unelected.

The EU wastes enormous sums every year their accounts have not been signed off by the auditors for many years and when one of them blew the whistle to the top people they sacked her!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Something Europe Does Better