RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Some times ya just got to Piss and Moan

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Some times ya just got to **** and Moan

Bought about $150 worth or carb parts for the VTR and my DRZ485 Super Moto. Used a friends shop in Colorado as the guy has been taking care of my complicated orders and needs for many years.. and ordering that many small parts from SUDCO for a non shop is a pain.

So 14 days later, after I get my order.... I go through the package today.. and I find the 48 pilots I ordered.. are ******* USED

I called the shop.. and low and behold, the co owner (my buddy) answered... Out of all the parts it was just those two, but still...... I guess that was the straw that broke the camels back, said FORMER parts guy gets a pink slip in the morning.

Seems dipshit forgot to order the jets when he ordered the rest from two OEMs and SUDCO... and instead of owning up to it when my buddy asked about my order.. he said all was good and then found some use 48 pilots to send me...

There ya go.... thats my bitch for the day.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:18 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
What, did he think you wouldn't notice? If someones buying a whole bunch of obscure Carb parts and seals wouldn't you think they would be inspecting if not just glancing at the parts when they are rebuilding said carbs... what an idiot... thats a good way to get fired...
Old 10-30-2012, 07:22 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
It seems customer service is a lost art.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:05 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
i wouldn't have minded if he would of owned up to the fact that he forgot, acknowledged the used ones for free if I wanted to try them and if not, call and will order.

If he tries to pull one over, you have to asked yourself as the owner or a customer, what else will he do?
Old 10-31-2012, 05:32 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Well keeping in mind, everything that happens in or through the shop is the owners responsibility..
He gets credit for this idiot’s mistake and attempt at passing off used parts as new... BUT he also gets credit for canning the guy when it is shown he is an idiot and unethical
Old 10-31-2012, 03:16 PM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
48 pilots

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Bought about $150 worth or carb parts for the VTR and my DRZ485 Super Moto. Used a friends shop in Colorado as the guy has been taking care of my complicated orders and needs for many years.. and ordering that many small parts from SUDCO for a non shop is a pain.

So 14 days later, after I get my order.... I go through the package today.. and I find the 48 pilots I ordered.. are ******* USED

I called the shop.. and low and behold, the co owner (my buddy) answered... Out of all the parts it was just those two, but still...... I guess that was the straw that broke the camels back, said FORMER parts guy gets a pink slip in the morning.

Seems dipshit forgot to order the jets when he ordered the rest from two OEMs and SUDCO... and instead of owning up to it when my buddy asked about my order.. he said all was good and then found some use 48 pilots to send me...

There ya go.... thats my bitch for the day.

Well, let me add $.02 here by declaring that the new 48s Honda pilots I just installed didn't make one bit of improvement on my Hawk. It may not need as much choke to start and idle but here at 250' elevation it runs the same and not one whit better. It ran super before and still does. Mileage seems to be the same, too. Last fillup was 42mpg with my sedate right wrist. It was money throwed away in my case.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:39 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by zxbud
Well, let me add $.02 here by declaring that the new 48s Honda pilots I just installed didn't make one bit of improvement on my Hawk. It may not need as much choke to start and idle but here at 250' elevation it runs the same and not one whit better. It ran super before and still does. Mileage seems to be the same, too. Last fillup was 42mpg with my sedate right wrist. It was money throwed away in my case.
I don't know what the right set up for 2 tall stacks, but I believe for OEM, front and rear needles shimmed @ .040 and .060, diff main sizes front and rear, air screw 2.25 f and 2.50r, epoxy a hole in front slide, etc., but all this as a starting point. Sounds like you just put in 48s and nothing else. Is this not to be done with your set up?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:41 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Like nath said, did you just drop them in or did you dial it in once they are in there? It's not plug-n-play...
Old 11-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Tweety
Like nath said, did you just drop them in or did you dial it in once they are in there? It's not plug-n-play...

Everything done to it is in the sig, and done by me. The vid posted is with the 45 pilots installed but there is no difference with the 48's installed that I can notice. What puzzles me is why there is a leap in torque as the tach reaches 3500rpm in any gear. It's really obvious.

VID> 00011mp4video.mp4 video by zxbud | Photobucket
Old 11-10-2012, 09:47 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Everything done to it is in the sig, and done by me. The vid posted is with the 45 pilots installed but there is no difference with the 48's installed that I can notice. What puzzles me is why there is a leap in torque as the tach reaches 3500rpm in any gear. It's really obvious.

have same cans as you and 300-500 ft above sea level.

My setup if interested: (note - i could care less about fuel mileage, i don't ride to commute and save fuel.)
-Mains Jet Front 180 Rear 182
- Pilot Jet Front 48 Rear 48
- Air Screw (Turns Out) Front 3 Rear 2
- FP TI needle (slot from top) Front 4 Rear 4
-Rear Emulsion Tube installed in front carb to match same as the rear one.
-K&N Filter
-Ignition Advance
-Stock snorkels
-non smog stuff

Good luck with your tuning

Last edited by Thumper; 11-10-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:42 AM
MotoGP

So, what you are saying is that you took the carbs apart, swapped the pilots, and re-assembled... Rode the bike and found no difference? Brilliant deduction... Since the difference in pilots effect the rest of the system, the correct procedure would be to adjust the airscrews and needles to suit the pilots and mains... So, no you didn't feel much difference, and you got obvious surging... Strange, really strange...

BTW, please excuse the long winded sarcastic reply... But you could have made it simple by replying, "no i didn't dial it in..."
Old 11-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Superstock

Surging?

So, what you are saying is that you took the carbs apart, swapped the pilots, and re-assembled... Rode the bike and found no difference? Brilliant deduction... Since the difference in pilots effect the rest of the system, the correct procedure would be to adjust the airscrews and needles to suit the pilots and mains... So, no you didn't feel much difference, and you got obvious surging... Strange, really strange...

BTW, please excuse the long winded sarcastic reply... But you could have made it simple by replying, "no i didn't dial it in..."
HHmmmm, I thought I had pretty good eyes and hearing but I don't notice any surging even though the vid shows it was started from stone cold in Florida no less!! At the end of the vid temp is still only 142* so if it did surge it could be forgiven. The vid was taken with the fuel screws at 1.5 turns out and the bike doesn't like it so now they are at 2 turns out. It really runs super and a lean condition I thought would be fixed by the larger pilots wasn't a lean condition at all. Instead it was the 90* v-twin firing sequence in a bike with almost no driveline shock mitigators. With firing pulses transmitted to the wheel with only the rubber pucks in the hub to absorb shock it's going to be rough lower than 2500r's in the higher gears. But when other posters gave positive reviews about the 48 pilots I jumped onboard expecting noticeable improvement and there is none. Here at sea level and with the open mufflers it can't hurt anything but it's done and I'm happy. The mains are maybe a little small but I don't go into the upper range much-----can you say COPS everywhere?

As for dialing it in, the only way I would dial it in is with a oxygen sensor and readout display and that ain't happenin'. I'm too happy with it's behavior.

What I want to see now is someone post a vid of their stock geared machine roar from 60 to 80 in 6th in 1.5 to 1.75 seconds. Hope I don't have to wait too long.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough

What I want to see now is someone post a vid of their stock geared machine roar from 60 to 80 in 6th in 1.5 to 1.75 seconds. Hope I don't have to wait too long.
How much money do you have spanky??
Old 11-15-2012, 12:40 PM
MotoGP

Well, the inch and a half of snow outside makes it for damned sure I won't be doing that in a couple of months... But remind me come spring and I'll do one better... A taller than stock gearing, and while I haven't actually measured it with a stopwatch, if it doesn't do that, I'll most certainly go back to the workshop and fix it... It damned well should, considering the work I put into it...

And if the roadbike fails... Well, I might be done tinkering with a track only VTR then, which should potentially put out ~150bhp to the wheel... If that fails, I'll go hide in shame...

Last edited by Tweety; 11-15-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Superstock

spanky?

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
How much money do you have spanky??
Spanky? Guess I've been called worse but money enough for 3 nice steaks at Manny's in Lake Wales about an hour from here -- Lakeland, Fl. Why 3 you ask? Well, that's for you and Tweety and me and here's the caveat. You both have to *spank* me on your Hawks from here to Manny's and back in top gear and though I won't bother with at timing device I'm sure I can tell the difference between 1.5 and 1.75 seconds so don't try to put one over on me. So, 3 dudes on 3 Hawks racing in top gear for 2 hours in heavy traffic stuffed with meat! It's a wonderful life. Maybe we can stop for twinkies if there's any left.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:47 AM
MotoGP

Spanky? Guess I've been called worse but money enough for 3 nice steaks at Manny's in Lake Wales about an hour from here -- Lakeland, Fl. Why 3 you ask? Well, that's for you and Tweety and me and here's the caveat. You both have to *spank* me on your Hawks from here to Manny's and back in top gear and though I won't bother with at timing device I'm sure I can tell the difference between 1.5 and 1.75 seconds so don't try to put one over on me. So, 3 dudes on 3 Hawks racing in top gear for 2 hours in heavy traffic stuffed with meat! It's a wonderful life. Maybe we can stop for twinkies if there's any left.
haha.....good one spanky!

counting is easy..... practice your gait with the second hand:

"one thousand one" = 1sec.;
"one thous" = .5 sec.
"one thousand = .75 sec

start practicing now spanky cause your daddy probably ain't gonna show up fo yo meat .

Last edited by nath981; 11-18-2012 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:37 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
So I'm supposed to pack my bike from Ca and Markus is supposed to fly in from Sweden for a steak......umm no thanks.

Now wanting to do a top end run after you set your bike up for bottom end power is kind of funny to me and you also forgot or maybe didn't know that neither of our bikes (Tweety & myself) stop pulling at 10.3K (yes parts that you can't get). So you might not be too happy with the outcome.

Now if you make it worth my while, I can source a GoPro and a rider (can't have you guys then claiming I was in a different gear) and prove it to you doubting Thomas's.

Though like I stated in the other thread, maybe I'm just making it all up...... I am known for that, like that carb thread, just pure BS to see if you guys would fall for it.....
Old 11-18-2012, 01:22 PM
MotoGP

Well... Next time I cruise around your town, I'll take you up on it...

But round here, you don't have to race for the steak... Open invitation still stands, anone in Sweden for whatever reason, give me a call, and I'l supply beverage and food, and lots of talking about bikes, cars or whatever that's fun...
Old 11-18-2012, 01:30 PM
MotoGP

BTW, just for reference... The last time I was on a trackday, there was another VTR there... He was a bit upset and confused about the fact that in just about any gear, any part of the track i seemed to be able to pull out a lead on him, since his bike was track only, with some engine work, and my bike looked at first glance to be fairly stock with plates... That was until I pointed out the subtle differences, like swing arm, fork and others... Plus the fact that my bike as it stands bests his by about 15-20 bhp over the entire revband... Then he felt a little less upset...

With the time and money I have into my engine, if I didn't beat you, I'd cry... Not bragging, just saying...
Old 11-19-2012, 08:19 PM
Superstock

BTW, just for reference... The last time I was on a trackday, there was another VTR there... He was a bit upset and confused about the fact that in just about any gear, any part of the track i seemed to be able to pull out a lead on him, since his bike was track only, with some engine work, and my bike looked at first glance to be fairly stock with plates... That was until I pointed out the subtle differences, like swing arm, fork and others... Plus the fact that my bike as it stands bests his by about 15-20 bhp over the entire revband... Then he felt a little less upset...

With the time and money I have into my engine, if I didn't beat you, I'd cry... Not bragging, just saying...

Nah, not an invitation to race but to tempt the hand of fate. See, if we can ride that far that fast and stay alive amidst hoards of famished med infested geriatrics then we all win and celebrate with meat!! It's the viking way, no? I think there's some viking in Hawk too, read ornery. One little question and BAM---Thor's Hammer . Ok, I'll take MEME and she won't ride on the back of the Superhawk, either. Heck, she hasn't even been on the VTX yet. Says she doesn't like the wheelies in front of the big rigs but I don't do that any more. I tell ya, a wife has a long memory and that ain't good.