RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Sick of riding in the snow!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 08:54 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Sick of riding in the snow!

Man, I really like last (fake) winter better. I just went out for an hour to play pool and came out to low visibility due to snow. The bike had a dusting on it but but it was blowing around in the headlight beam enuff to feel like a snowmobile.

Not a long ride of half surface half (sorta) highway but saturday night traffic is never a treat in the snow on a bike.

Can we vote this winter over yet?
Old 03-03-2013, 05:40 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Hopey is on a distinguished road
Yah,I hear you the snow can go any time.I still have a foot in the yard and the roads are covered with sand and gravel! My best guess for riding would be middle of April.Winters can F.R.O!You 've got a vote from me to.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:50 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Man, I really like last (fake) winter better. I just went out for an hour to play pool and came out to low visibility due to snow. The bike had a dusting on it but but it was blowing around in the headlight beam enuff to feel like a snowmobile.

Not a long ride of half surface half (sorta) highway but saturday night traffic is never a treat in the snow on a bike.

Can we vote this winter over yet?
I'm with you... Round here it's been iced over like a friggin hockey rink the last month and a half... Three feet of snow followed by a month of thaw-n-freeze... I can't even cross my own yard to get to the car in the morning without falling on my *** half the time (cobbled inner yard on an old threewing farmhouse)...

And taking any of the bikes out would be near suicide, since I have a 100 foot long hill at the end of the gravel road I'm on, which is a nice icy slip-n-slide by now... I tried walking down it a few days ago, to get to the mailbox... I stopped sliding in the bushes five feet past the two lane highway i slingshot past... I ended up having to walk in the ditch up it...

I want to ride dammit... I could probably ride across the fields to the road on the dualsport, by my neighbour (his fields) would most likely dislike it...
Old 03-03-2013, 08:50 AM
99 superhawk
Superstock

wsharpman is on a distinguished road
I feel for ya....we just have a light dusting here and there nothing to distract from riding just been a little to cold last few days for much more than a run to the corner store though. :P
Old 03-03-2013, 11:52 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
here`s the best advice I can give: don`t! To say that riding a (street) motorcycle in the snow is unsafe is an understatement (as anyone who has done so knows). Many (most) of us are looking forward to winter ending so we can ride but not to the point of putting our lives in danger riding a street bike on snow-covered roads. Face it, winter is a fact of life in our part of the world. If it bothers you that much, move. You will not only be happier, you will likely live longer too......
Old 03-03-2013, 03:20 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I sold one of my motorcycles this winter and bought one of these fat bikes. It is the most fun I have had in winter in a long time. Makes winter fun. If there is snow, ice, no snow it doesn't matter. And you get some exercise. goes over anything. add a helmet light or headlight and all set.
Attached Thumbnails Sick of riding in the snow!-fat..jpg  
Old 03-03-2013, 04:24 PM
MotoGP

Aw mikstr, you big baby, its just a little snow. Dont be a hater (lol)

I didnt believe it was really gonna snow or I wouldnta ridden. I only ride when I have to. Otherwise I swap knobbies on the mountainbike. Cliby, that looks like a fun bike.

There is an outlaw gang of quad guys who terrorize NYC whenever there is a storm.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:43 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I think discretion is definitely the better part of valor on this one. No real sense in riding when there is snow on the ground. It's not any fun, and really dangerous, so why? My bikes are all tucked in safe and sound for their winter nap. They will get plenty of use when the riding is worthwhile.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:21 PM
MotoGP

Oh yeah, the other thing is that the hawk is my main form of transport. For 4 yrs of college I commuted 70 miles each way all year round from long island to Brooklyn 5-7 days a week.

Thats why I'm a little less hesitant than most to venture out. I live on 2 wheels, I am more scared in a car.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:44 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Well Smokin, take advantage of it while you can. With global warming from all the s*** we spew into the atmosphere, and the polar ice cap melting at an alarming rate, New York city will be under water in few years..
Old 03-08-2013, 06:46 AM
MotoGP

Global warming? Have you seen this winter? I'm not real worried.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:02 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Here we go again.... like we didn't have enough of that snow this morning we have over a foot already and it's not over yet.

How about all of us move to Cali'? Where the weather is always good enough for a ride
Old 03-08-2013, 07:05 AM
MotoGP

Yeah, we could go west and form a new citystate. Like the pioneers or the mormons, but not as weird & no polygamy.

Really the country should be set up like that. Its no good wasting perfectly good bikers around here. My race buddy is moving from Conn to NM.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Global warming? Have you seen this winter? I'm not real worried.
Ask the Polar bears if they're worried....you bet your *** they are.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:40 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
My race buddy is moving from Conn to NM.
He might be surprised how much it snows in NM.....
That and there is now where to ride except the track....
Old 03-08-2013, 09:58 AM
MotoGP

Naw polar bears have no self awareness, so no worries. They are fine. The white coat may be less camo in the woods.

The nature vids making you worry are like weathermen. No ratings unless its scary bad news. They just want more grant money so they dont have to go work for a living.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:16 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Ahh come on Joe. That's the lazy mans answer. Why change our habits when we can blame the media for propaganda.

Polar caps melting is real, and no joking about it. Satellite pics to prove how bad it is, and it's going to be. And when the only place left on earth to admire a Polar bear will be in a zoo, well, that will be too bad, too late and a shame we never put to effort in.

Not trying to begin a debate on the subject....just saying, we need to face the facts.

Now, back to the subject at hand. I'm realy sick of the white stuff also. Can't wait to start burning fossil fuel to get my thrills.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:21 PM
MotoGP

If it makes you feel better, I guarantee I have the smallest carbon footprint of anyone on this forum. I bicycle everywhere & vtr otherwise. Its revolting when you watch miles of traffic of huge resource wasting suv's with ONE human in them.

And the temp flux is not out of the normal flux of global temp. Yeah man is polluting horribly but the earth does go up and down. You heard of the ice ages right? We didnt do any of that.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
If it makes you feel better, I guarantee I have the smallest carbon footprint of anyone on this forum. I bicycle everywhere & vtr otherwise. Its revolting when you watch miles of traffic of huge resource wasting suv's with ONE human in them.

And the temp flux is not out of the normal flux of global temp. Yeah man is polluting horribly but the earth does go up and down. You heard of the ice ages right? We didnt do any of that.
Yeah... I doubt that... Up until a couple of months ago, I'd also used two wheels as my only mode of transport... Now, having moved out from the city centre, I'm unfortunately forced to use a car for a while during winter... Then, when I can bike withour breaking stuff (me!) I'll go back to bike and then train...
Old 03-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
You heard of the ice ages right?
Technically we are still in it because we have polar ice caps. As they are melting we are just coming to the end of it with a little helping hand from pollutants. But why they call it global warming makes no sense to me. Yes the Sea temps are rising but the weather is cold and wet

Talking about snow there is supposed to be more snow in London on Monday Roll on Summer, the Winter months drag on too long.

(:-})
Old 03-08-2013, 03:15 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
I rode Tuesday & Wednesday in Lehigh Valley Pa

BTW - yesterday & today we got all of .03" on the grass & it melted within 2hrs.

I like the changes of season - it gives U something to look forward to.

Growing up in NYC metro area - we had way more snow than the last 25 yrs.

I know I could not live in Fla - too much humidity, stupidity & no turns in the roads

j/k U Sunshine Staters - we love u.

And riding in snow is a little nuts
Old 03-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Squid

timbo2loose is on a distinguished road
For all those Snowed in, here's a photo from last weekends ride in the land downunder
Old 03-20-2013, 09:35 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by timbo2loose
For all those Snowed in, here's a photo from last weekends ride in the land downunder
No worries mate... one day I will be back down under but mean while I will cringe and endure the bloody snow here Cheers
Old 03-21-2013, 12:21 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

chemomche is on a distinguished road
Have a decision on the snow problem

Old 03-21-2013, 06:31 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Believe me if I cross path with old man winter, that mother f"""" is going down...
Old 03-21-2013, 06:43 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Jack Flash
Believe me if I cross path with old man winter, that mother f"""" is going down...
yes, take him down, I'm sick of this old man, tell him to drop all this frozen water in Africa, where they really need it!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
22F degrees here today with windchill approaching 0F.

Normal daytime temps are supposed to be around 45F here at this time of year.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:37 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
We have more snow herr in the UK as well. It's not reached the south yet but it's due. WTF is going on with this weather, is global warming really accelerating this fast

(:-})
Old 03-22-2013, 12:44 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

chemomche is on a distinguished road
Tomorrow is the opening of the bike seasson here in Sofia, Bulgaria.
The temp now is about 4-5' C, forecast for tomorrow is not better.
last year it was about 20'C at that time.....folks make jokes that this year opening will be the only one in the history
that we will be drinking tea instread of beer
Old 03-22-2013, 03:50 AM
MotoGP

Yeah there's no snow now in NYC but I did have to ride from Manhattan to Queens last night at 12:30 in 29*F. I think -2C. I cant say I will be sad when that is gone. Even 50 seems warm now.

Quick Reply: Sick of riding in the snow!