RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Snap rings are from the devil!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 12:37 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

Meier Link is on a distinguished road
Snap rings are from the devil!

Spent 2 hours today trying to get the snap ring out of the clutch master cylinder. Good god I have had bad experiences with snap rings before but that was rediculous.

I honestly think ant company that puts a snap ring in to hold parts stable should be kicked in the nuts.

There are so many other viable options then snap rings. I get it. They area cheap but come on! Think of the poor mechanics that have to deal with them!
Old 06-28-2015, 12:45 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Internal Circlip pliers?
Old 06-28-2015, 12:49 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

The way the ring was positioned the pliers we're not long enough to reach the ring. Tried straight, 45 and 90 degree. Eventually had to destroy the ring with a screw driver and pull it. Had a replacement clip with the rebuild kit.

Keep in mind I am doing this at my girls place where the bike is broken down. It's a 30 minute drive to get to my tool box at the house and another 30 minutes back to the bike.

I've got it put back together working on bleeding the system but waiting patiently as I try to clear all the air out of the master cylinder hahaha.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:15 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Meier Link
Spent 2 hours today trying to get the snap ring out of the clutch master cylinder. Good god I have had bad experiences with snap rings before but that was rediculous.

I honestly think ant company that puts a snap ring in to hold parts stable should be kicked in the nuts.

There are so many other viable options then snap rings. I get it. They area cheap but come on! Think of the poor mechanics that have to deal with them!
Nothing to do with cheap.. just the best option that is easily handled by a experienced mechanic with the right tools.
Yes, it can be a pain for the at home wrench.. but that is not the fault of the OEM.
And none of that makes it any better for the guy in his garage trying to figure out how to get the snap ring out.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:37 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

Best option I don't think so. I work primarily in aviation and snap rings are used on disposable parts. Which are one and 1 thousand. Set screws and threaded linkages are more of **** viable option to me .

When I am 30 miles from home and a snap ring that is oriented wrong holds me from fixing a problem that a 11\32nd or metric equivalent could fix me up faster as an option kills any kind of love for a snap ring.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:10 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Best option I don't think so. I work primarily in aviation and snap rings are used on disposable parts. Which are one and 1 thousand. Set screws and threaded linkages are more of **** viable option to me .

When I am 30 miles from home and a snap ring that is oriented wrong holds me from fixing a problem that a 11\32nd or metric equivalent could fix me up faster as an option kills any kind of love for a snap ring.
Look at that part again, look at the space available, consider the design requirements.. lightweight, compact, provide a 360 deg flat seating surface for that piston, serviceable by R&R of a cheap disposable item quickly removed with the correct tool and trained Tech And yes of course cost effectiveness overall.

I think with an honest look, it will be clear what an Automotive and powersport standard ...the snap ring was chosen for the task.
I agree they can be sometimes frustrating to remove or place in position.. and so many types, not just internal and external, but styles of those as well. I have a 36" wide drawer filled with snap ring pliers so I have the right tool for the job. And that's only what is needed for powersports, automotive and light truck (plus light -med duty powered equipment)

Second what do you do in the aviation industry? Sounds like your all set to build an outstanding SuperHawk....

Last edited by E.Marquez; 06-29-2015 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:18 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Holy wow! After 25+ years in the printing industry you get the feel for just about any snap ring application! Every press manufacturer uses them heavily. It's all in having the right tool. Lucky for me if I don't have it in my arsenal, I can borrow it from my employer.

Glad ya got it out.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:49 AM
That one guy
Back Marker

Second what do you do in the aviation industry? Sounds like your all set to build an outstanding SuperHawk....
Right now I build flight controls before that I helped set up the g650 wing program at the place I work at. I've done a lot in the past from composites \ metal bonding repair and overhaul to custom mods for military and legacy aircraft.

I have a slew of snap ring pliers at the house down fall was the bike was broken down not at my house.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:51 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

I have a slew of snap ring pliers at the house down fall was the bike was broken down not at my house.
always happens that way dont it....
Old 06-29-2015, 01:26 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
If you had had the common sense and forethought to have broken down in your garage, Meier, then this would have been a non-issue. I think we're done here.

And welcome.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:24 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
If you had had the common sense and forethought to have broken down in your garage, Meier, then this would have been a non-issue. I think we're done here.

And welcome.
Not quite done.

Henceforth, in the best interests of the forum, you should change your post-script to include snap ring pliers along with tires and oil as verboten subject matter.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:16 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Now your making me rethink my proposal to my girlfriend with a snap ring...
Old 06-29-2015, 04:49 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by CrankenFine
Not quite done.

Henceforth, in the best interests of the forum, you should change your post-script to include snap ring pliers along with tires and oil as verboten subject matter.
Best interest of the forum? ****. Like anybody's been following my rules up to now.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:26 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scottiemann
Now your making me rethink my proposal to my girlfriend with a snap ring...
Hey, using the CORRECT snap ring pliers I could perch a nice rock up there

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
Best interest of the forum? ****. Like anybody's been following my rules up to now.
I follow your rules but only because I think the best tires, oil and gearing (and others) are strictly opinions... we dont all ride in the same climates, or on the same roads, city. highway, twisties etc... but I'm also a drunk douche so what do I know