RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.
View Poll Results: Is the Can-Am Spyder a motorcycle?
Plain and simple, YES it is.
1.79%
YES and NO; it's a new kind of motorcycle.
8.93%
NO, it's not a motorcycle; it's something else.
73.21%
I don't care.
16.07%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

New Can-Am Spyder is NOT a motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
Like 95% of the fellow riders on this forum have said, these are NOT motorcycles. If there was a handicap plate on them then BRAVO, Im glad your still out there getting your enjoyment and not let your dissability keep you down. BUT since I havnt seen any with that plate or sticker then obviously you dont have the mental, balance, or physical means to ride a motorcycle so please get off the road and OUT OF THE CARPOOL LANE! okay, I feel better now.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Squid

the1bolton is on a distinguished road
Some people LOVE their snowmobiles. Their snowmobiles for on the road during the summer. Why are so many people upset about them? besides the legal issues (esp. getting a motorcycle endorsement, which concerns me as apparently it does many others) their just another vehicle.

What's the issue with the person next to you if their driving a motorcycle, ATV, SUV, sports car, sedan, 18 wheeler, or any other vehicle? As long as their driving sanely, why not?

Sorry for talking like a hippie, but I just don't get all the rage.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
Interesting arguments ALL. I have a close friend who owns one (here in Vegas), he believes it's a MC, but he is smart enough to recognize that it does not ride like one. He took his MSF course on a two-wheeler. He said "man those were hard to ride, but my Spyder is easy". He actually thinks my SHawk is dangerous.
Maybe states should require MSF courses instead of testing, unless you're an experienced rider, testing on a bike you've owned a while? Just my 2 cents.....
Old 05-01-2011, 03:07 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by divingindaytona
It doesnt lean over in a corner, so its not a motorcycle
exactly

it can be something else.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:38 PM
Squid

drake is on a distinguished road
i believe it is a type of a motorcycle, just as a trike is a type of motorcycle. it's just built backwards.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:03 AM
Squid

Robyn Ewing Wells is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Threatened???

I am a Spyder RT-S owner...I love this bike...I can't believe the "snobs" in the "motorcycle world" on here...your comments are so childish and hardly what I would expect from the motorcycle community. Alot of it sounds like jealousy cause you can't afford one...What difference should it make to you if people choose to ride something different from what you ride???? Just because a person decides to buy one of these cool new bikes doesn't automatically make them NOT ABLE to ride a 2 wheel motorcycle! People I know have various reasons they ride a Spyder...like me, some have one just because they want to. Wow...why in the world should there be such a "stink" over whether someone chooses to ride a trike or a 2 wheeler!!??? Get over it!!! Get off your high horses and don't worry about it! What's wrong...do you feel threatened in some way??? How ridiculous...usually if someone has a problem with what someone else is doing it's out of jealousy or just plain bullying...QUIT WHINING YOU BUNCH OF BABIES!
Old 04-20-2012, 05:21 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Robyn Ewing Wells
I am a Spyder RT-S owner...I love this bike...I can't believe the "snobs" in the "motorcycle world" on here...your comments are so childish and hardly what I would expect from the motorcycle community. Alot of it sounds like jealousy cause you can't afford one...What difference should it make to you if people choose to ride something different from what you ride???? Just because a person decides to buy one of these cool new bikes doesn't automatically make them NOT ABLE to ride a 2 wheel motorcycle! People I know have various reasons they ride a Spyder...like me, some have one just because they want to. Wow...why in the world should there be such a "stink" over whether someone chooses to ride a trike or a 2 wheeler!!??? Get over it!!! Get off your high horses and don't worry about it! What's wrong...do you feel threatened in some way??? How ridiculous...usually if someone has a problem with what someone else is doing it's out of jealousy or just plain bullying...QUIT WHINING YOU BUNCH OF BABIES!
We did quit whining. About a year ago, actually.

I don't care if people ride Spyders, but the question was whether they should be considered a motorcycle, and marketed as one. I think it's dangerous that someone could get their motorcycle license on one of these, because it's very different than a two-wheeled motorcycle.

Like someone else said earlier, I'd rather someone ride a Spyder than drive a car. At least it's raising awareness of alternative modes of transportation. But calling it a motorcycle is a stretch . . .

Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-20-2012, 07:00 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
By definition it is a motorcycle, motor and cycles, but by practical application, it should be a Motorized Rickshaw!!! Not a motorcycle!
Old 04-20-2012, 07:03 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by evines
We did quit whining. About a year ago, actually.

I don't care if people ride Spyders, but the question was whether they should be considered a motorcycle, and marketed as one. I think it's dangerous that someone could get their motorcycle license on one of these, because it's very different than a two-wheeled motorcycle.

Like someone else said earlier, I'd rather someone ride a Spyder than drive a car. At least it's raising awareness of alternative modes of transportation. But calling it a motorcycle is a stretch . . .

Welcome to the forum!
+1 Agree, definitely better then a cage and I do strongly support all alternative vehicles and wouldn't mind have one too, that's the only thing my better half will agree to ride with me on.

Last edited by NHSH; 04-20-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
hey man,

if you were disabled from an accident or disease, would you rather be in a cage? or on one of those things?

I don't see them as motorcycles either, but I could see myself getting one if I couldn't ride for some reason.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Squid

well...lets define motorcycle...when we were kids we rode bicycles and tricycles but both were called bikes. A motorcycle is a motorized cycle. the number of wheels helps determine what we call them: trikes, bikes, quads, etc...but all are "motor" cycles. For those of you who feel the need to cut on people who choose to ride trikes for whatever reason, cause in some way you obviously think you are superior...I tell you from experience because I can ride a 2, 3, or 4 wheeled bike...they all require a certain level of skill to ride safely. In some ways the 2 wheeler is easier to ride and in some ways the 3 is easier. For instance...I find it much easier to take a turn on a 2 wheeled bike than a trike. Trikes DO NOT negotiate the turns as easy as a 2 wheel. Unless you've ridden one you wouldn't know. But, what makes the difference ??? They all are great machines and a blast to ride...so...go ride your bikes...ooops...motorcycles...uh ..er...trikes...or whatever...you get the point...I hope!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Superstock

well...lets define motorcycle...when we were kids we rode bicycles and tricycles but both were called bikes. A motorcycle is a motorized cycle. the number of wheels helps determine what we call them: trikes, bikes, quads, etc...but all are "motor" cycles. For those of you who feel the need to cut on people who choose to ride trikes for whatever reason, cause in some way you obviously think you are superior...I tell you from experience because I can ride a 2, 3, or 4 wheeled bike...they all require a certain level of skill to ride safely. In some ways the 2 wheeler is easier to ride and in some ways the 3 is easier. For instance...I find it much easier to take a turn on a 2 wheeled bike than a trike. Trikes DO NOT negotiate the turns as easy as a 2 wheel. Unless you've ridden one you wouldn't know. But, what makes the difference ??? They all are great machines and a blast to ride...so...go ride your bikes...ooops...motorcycles...uh ..er...trikes...or whatever...you get the point...I hope!

does it lean to turn? no? not a motorcycle...I don't know about snobbery, I guess some of the posts here are pretty harsh...but why classify your machine as something it isn't? just ride/drive/operate it and have fun...

when/if I get older and disability forces me to get one (because again: I'd rather have one of these than some stupid SUV or car) I won't wave to guys on two wheels, I'll wave to other 3 wheelers...

Last edited by blamecanada; 04-20-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:11 AM
Squid

@ blamecanada :
leaning to turn is NOT what defines it as a motorcycle! And as for snobbery...you've just proved the point perfectly...THANKS!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
I don't care if people ride Spyders, but the question was whether they should be considered a motorcycle, and marketed as one. I think it's dangerous that someone could get their motorcycle license on one of these, because it's very different than a two-wheeled motorcycle
It's Darwin's theory of natural selection at work. If someone's dumb enough to do that, (ride a motorcycle with no appropriate practice/training/licensing test) they're doing the species a favor...
Old 04-20-2012, 12:49 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
By definition sure its a motorized cycle, but not a motorcycle. Google motorcycle and see what pops up and how many wheels they have. a sedan and a pickup are both automobiles. They both work the same, both have an engine and four wheels,but you wouldn't call a sedan a truck or a truck a car would you?

They do look like a blast to ride though and look pretty comfortable. They're not carving machines, more like a touring trike. I think you should have to get your m1 to operate one as it works the same as a motorcycle.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Superstock

@ blamecanada :
leaning to turn is NOT what defines it as a motorcycle!
To me, it is...sorry that rubs you the wrong way.

And as for snobbery...you've just proved the point perfectly...THANKS!
I never said because I'm on two wheels I'm better, or that my two-wheeled machine is better, just that I don't consider three wheelers to have riding in common with myself and other motorcycle riders...I wouldn't exactly call that snobbery, but I guess if it offends you there's not much to be done about it.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:39 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by aja
By definition sure its a motorized cycle, but not a motorcycle. Google motorcycle and see what pops up and how many wheels they have. a sedan and a pickup are both automobiles. They both work the same, both have an engine and four wheels,but you wouldn't call a sedan a truck or a truck a car would you?

They do look like a blast to ride though and look pretty comfortable. They're not carving machines, more like a touring trike. I think you should have to get your m1 to operate one as it works the same as a motorcycle.
OK guy's, let's redefine this 3 wheeled vehicle again, shall we?

All over Asia, Middle East and some parts of Africa there is a clear definition for a 3 wheel vehicle, a Rickshaw or as in Thailand they call it took took I suggest to call these vehicles something other than a motorcycle, Rickshaw works fine for me

The point again is that the word motorcycle doe's not define how many wheels you have, but the common understanding is that a motorcycle consist of bi-cycle with a motor.
The argument is not about liking the vehicle or not, it is a 3 wheel vehicle! Thus it should be given a different description.

As for the licensing it is a whole other discussion and could be the reason why it's called motorcycle in the first place, the problem is that any biker can ride a trike, but not every driver will be able to ride it! So how do you exactly license this???
I believe it is easier and safer to put that vehicle under motorcycle license than anything else available, that is the core of the issue here in my understanding.

I can tell you one thing for sure, if someone waves to me with a friendly gesture, I will wave back the same way, I don't care what you choose to ride as long as you give me the same respect as any other vehicle!
Old 05-20-2012, 12:48 AM
jet wrench
Back Marker

loserbaby is on a distinguished road
No hate from me... I grew up on ATC's (All Terrain Cycle) and snowmobiles, neither of which is your reverse trike...
I just feel bad for you guy's stuck in traffic with the rest of the cages on a 90+deg day, when I get to keep moving thru stopped traffic...
Enjoy what you ride...

I'd hate to be parked in the heat of summer...
Old 05-20-2012, 02:01 AM
Squid

nu2sh2002 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by whozit
In Florida, new riders must take and pass a motorcycle safety class in order to get a motorcycle endorsement on their license. The class is given on motorcycles the course directors supply so everyone gets some basic instruction on two wheels..

in fl theres a seprate 3 wheeled motorcycle class that you have to pass to be able to ride a spyder. befor i ever road a motorcycle i thought i wanted to have one then my first bike was a 09 hyosung gt250r road it a lil bit befor i took the test i knew theres no way i would be happy with more than 2 wheels. sold that bike then got a 02 superhawk. i think they are a type of motorcycle just not for me. and cruisers are nice but again not for me. i like speed and how they ride
Old 05-20-2012, 04:13 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
I'm the only one who voted yes plain and simple. i knew I was weird. ha

leaning is what i like about motorcycles and if that ain't there, i doubt i'd have one.

That said, i never heard this conversation about side hacks, esp pre-spyder. Harley patented a 3-wheeler that leaned like the piaggio but never put it on the market. They're all motorcycles to me but not for me. However, wesll might be. I test rode a Piaggio in the rain and it was a gas.

http://wesllcorp.com/

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/08/04/h...ke-prototypes/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_axQ...eature=related

Last edited by nath981; 05-20-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:45 AM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
Guy on my street bought one. Within 5 days it was gone with a zx14 in the garage. If you want one fine. I'll give the bike salute to you even. But taking the riders test on the big Hawk is so different than the spyder. It's cheating plain and simple. We can settle this once and for all.... lets hit the twisties and see if you can keep up with me. I'll be the guy leaning over with my knees dragging if you can see me that far ahead....
Old 05-20-2012, 09:25 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Haha, what would happen if one beat you in the twisties?
Old 05-20-2012, 11:45 PM
Slacker
Superstock
Superstock

BeerHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
According to the California DMV website :

NOTE: Three wheeled motorcycles or a motorcycle with a side car require only a Class C driver license. California Vehicle Code (CVC) §12804.9

I would have not expected this to be true.

Legally, three wheeled motorcycle type vehicles are classified as motorcycles, but don't call it a bike! That is short for BI-cycle, which means 2 wheels.

That said, I would like to try out a Spyder. It just looks like another fun experience. And I have seen several of them triking around the city. I always give them a wave.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:12 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by alwayshonda
The commercial I saw for them said that you can now take the motorcycle rider's test with them!?!? That just seems like a loop-hole that is going to get more rider's out there who are not very skilled.
Personally, this is the only problem that I have with these. I don't think I would own one, but it's kind of cool in a way; like having an ATV (or ATC) for the street.

No way in hell should you be allowed to take a rider's test on one of these. Make a new classification and issue a license for it, but it's basically like telling someone to go ride a 4-wheeler for the test and saying, "OK now you can ride any motorcycle.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Squid

kickerfox is on a distinguished road
I voted no, it's not. By definition it is because it's a "cycle" with a motor on it. It's just not a bicycle with a motor on it. It's a tricycle with a motor on it. Good for drifting though.

Originally Posted by rbrais
Personally, this is the only problem that I have with these. I don't think I would own one, but it's kind of cool in a way; like having an ATV (or ATC) for the street.
You mean this?

Attached Thumbnails New Can-Am Spyder is NOT a motorcycle-road_shoot-right.jpg  

Last edited by kickerfox; 05-28-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:17 PM
Squid

raceruss2003 is on a distinguished road
I'd ride one if my legs were broken.

Not a bad intro for people who would like to learn to ride, but not yet able to.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
Gave a guy the "wave" on a can am that was going by and he snubbed me. Jerk. Can am guys can **** off. Not a motorcycle. End of discussion.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:25 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by rbrais

No way in hell should you be allowed to take a rider's test on one of these. Make a new classification and issue a license for it, but it's basically like telling someone to go ride a 4-wheeler for the test and saying, "OK now you can ride any motorcycle.
A person can take a MC test on a scooter and be validated for the same license. There is nothing in the test curriculum that addresses the skills needed to handle a higher performance or extremely heavy cruiser/tourer. That comes down to the judgement of the individual.

While you can't fall over on one of these you can fall off. I would bet they're not that easy to handle.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:37 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

mertechperformance is on a distinguished road
if the traction control system let you slide the rear out instead of cutting power if you get a little fast in a turn. the thing just bucks like crazy.

powerful? NO not at all.

the wheels they choose look nerdy and lame.

I do like the random snowmobile/water craft look that they have. and if you plan on touring the country and don't care about shredding some curves it's gotta be easy to just put hundreds upon hundreds of miles a day in the saddle on one.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Squid

kickerfox is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by davidka
While you can't fall over on one of these you can fall off. I would bet they're not that easy to handle.
As far as I know they have a stability system that does things like rev limit you in corners. Fairly easy to handle when it's not going fast.

Quick Reply: New Can-Am Spyder is NOT a motorcycle