RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Instructors

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 11:20 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
To stay on topic: I guess as with every occupation, there are good and bad workers. Maybe these two guys you speak of are some of the bad ones. I myself am an MSF Dirtbike School and an ASI(ATV Safety Institute) Instructor. I have seen Instructors who, in my own opinion, who should not be an Instructor. On the other hand, I have also seen Instructors who should be in charge of training the Instructors. They posess a skill to really make sense of how to do it right and be an effective coach. I recommend to anyone, take the MSF class(BRC- Basic Rider Course) and then practice the skills you just learned. Then schedule a ERC(Experienced Rider Course) to gain more knowledge. If time and money allow, go to a qualified "Road Racing" type school to get even more rider training. Someone once told me, "if you get an education - no one can take it away from you." Use the skills you learn to stay safe and ride as long as your having fun in this sport. It not how fast you go, it's how much fun your having.
Old 04-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Squid

jwarriner
Re: Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Instructors

For what it's worth, my instructors were great, awesome really. Tons of combined riding experience, knowledgable, personable, etc.

As far as accidents go, try riding for 20 years and not getting into some sort of accident, we all make mistakes. Hope for the best and be careful is all you can do but eventually an error in judgement will be made. Maybe it'll just get your heart going but maybe you'll wreck.

I think every group is going to have the occaisional bad person, MSF instructors included, that's life.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:50 AM
SuperSport

Loco
I've had good experiences with my racing instructors. I use RideSmart, and those guys are very helpful. Granted, there are some who are far more competitive and aggressive than others, but cmon man, they're racers for gods sakes. Inevitably, there will be one's you clash with, and one's who really understand your style. For the very most part, though, I've been impressed with the amount of knowledge they were able to impart to me, both in general and specifically to my riding.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:33 PM
Squid

SuzukiSandy is on a distinguished road
Being a RiderCoach myself, I can honestly say that these guys were definitely in the minority. All of the coaches I've taught with are really responsible riders on the street, track, range, etc. AS LONG AS WE'RE WEARING THE MSF LOGO, we must be fully geared up, sober, alert, etc.

I guess what these clowns forgot was that it's not just a job, it's a way of life. I'm sorry to hear that this incident may have altered your perception of safe riding and the individuals who accept the responsibility for teaching it.

I got the chewing out of my life as an instructor trainee by just sitting on a range bike with no helmet on, because we're instilling a culture of safety to our students. Anybody can learn how to ride a motorcycle badly, but in class, it's that rare window of opportunity to demonstrate safety to a bunch of people that will probably never take another riding course again.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:59 AM
Squid

Erion_squid is on a distinguished road
Angry MSF Instructors

I could not agree more, I just recently got my MSF Master Instructor cert and i went out most recently with some other instructors..i was in awe of how horrible they were. No respect for other riders or for other vehicles on the road. Overall, a learning experience for me as well as my girlfriend. Now i have learned to stick with riders that i know and can trust.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:46 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
It's a damned shame I moved away from Norfolk just as you started posting on this board. If you're ever up in the NY area, give me a ring. I'd love to go riding with someone who's responsible and experienced.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:29 AM
Squid

Responsible?!

I do plan on making a trip up there hopefully before the summer ends. I will definately keep you in mind. Depending on where you live in New York, we usually ride thru the city and then up to the Pocanos. Ever done that ride?
Old 06-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I'm about 2 hrs north of the Pocanos. I could meet you somewhere. I'll need at least a week advanced notice. I work a rotating shiftwork schedule on a 35 day cycle.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:25 AM
Squid

Keepin ya informed

That would be great. You will have to show me some roads up there..cause i dont know many. I will be U/W most of this next month but AUG is our plan for right now.