RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Instructors

Old 02-21-2006, 08:43 AM
Les
Squid

Les
Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Instructors

About a year ago we had a company motorcycle club ride for lunch. The ride was led by two MSF instructors who rode like complete idiots, accelerating as hard as they could from every stop and speeding which would not allow the group to stay together. One was on a Valkerie and the other was on some sort of Japanese Harley copy. Exiting the restaurant somehow I ended up in front of the pack at an intersection with the two leaders behind me and we needed to make a U-turn. When we could go they did the U-turn riding beside me, one on either side. I'm pretty sure we should have been in a single file pattern when turning according to the MSF. Because they did that I did the U-turn very slowly on my SV650S. When we got back to the office one of the "instructors" chided me, asking if I was new to the bike since I went so slow! I didn't say what I wanted to which was, "Dude...I could have blown you away at any point in the ride..but then I'd be like you...an a-hole." I remember thinking, "It's only a matter of time for these guys."

Well one of the MSF "instructors" is now walking around with a halo on after spending a couple of months in the hospital. He laid his new FJR1300 down in a corner and slid into an oncoming truck. The reason was too much speed in the corner. The other "instructor" now has a broken collarbone after dropping his Valkerie in his driveway.

I don't have much confidence in the MSF!!!!
Old 02-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Superstock

BirdofParadise is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Instructors

As I understand it, the "NEW" MSF is quite different from that of 10 years ago. Rumor has it once a heavy from a motorcycle manufacturer got involved with the MSF, they geared the program more toward selling bikes and less toward teaching and instilling good riding skills. I guess big business is screwing the little guy for a buck again. As for the two clowns posing as instructors, they were probably trained under the "New" system. Add to that their jack *** lineage and you have your lunch time ride leaders. Karma is a strange thing.

I'm glad you had the self control not to lower your skills to their level. Some poor newbie behind you might have tried to emulate such stupidity with dire results.

I seem to remember such antics being grounds for getting your MSF instructor qualification pulled. Something about promoting the unsafe operation of a motorcycle, I forget.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:47 PM
Superstock

Jim TT

What MFG? Was it Honda? I didn't take the rider course as it was not around when I learned to ride so I don't know much about it.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:59 PM
Les
Squid

Les

These guys are associated with the local community college so there isn't a manufacturer involved. I just can't believe these guys are "teaching" other people how to ride motorcyles. Now that I know this I would never recommend this course to anyone.

I tried to contact the MSF about these guys but I couldn't find an email contact and I'm not going to take the time to sit down and write a letter.

This discussion reminds me of the motorcycle mechanic who chided my brother for not wearing out the sidewalls on his tires before the center was worn out. This clown ended up going down in a corner a few months later and sliding into a tree, killing himself.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:04 PM
Superstock

Not to point fingers but I think it was SUZUKI.
That is rumor as I can not verify it as told to me by a friend who is still instructing. The program here is taught via the University of Hawaii.
I believe they no longer teach it under the "MSF" due to changes they would not agree with. Evidently the accident rate for new riders has increased since the new MSF curriculum was instituted. Also a rumor but I suspect based in fact.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:43 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point

I took the MSF course about 10 or 11 years ago. The course was worthwile and had a lot of good information. The teachers took the time and effort to tell you what you needed and then some.

Hows this for an endorcement. - Next summer my wife is going to take the course. She is going to learn to ride.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:46 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Anonymous";p=&quot
I one case my friend walked out of the class, in another the comment was "instructor was a drill sergeant *** H. I don't know what if anything that means but it is interesting.
I think they may have been referring to the instructors "Yelling" at them.
Instructors would "yell to the rider" when they saw a mistake in form or execution. This was because with 10 motorcycles riding about, it is a bit noisy and you have to shout as loud as you can to be heard. The idea was to correct the problem there and then. If a student is allowed to continue making the mistake it will become habit. Normally the shouting was something like: "Turn your head!...Look through the turn....look at me...head up!!!", "Look, Lean, Roll!!!". New riders are easier to teach since they have fewer bad habits to break. Even seasoned riders can learn quite a bit in the experienced rider course (the old one anyway). Some times we can develop a bad habit that will only show up in an extreme situation. If you do not have an alternative you've practiced the bad habit WILL surface. Personally I think anyone riding a bike should take at least one class even if it is just to reaffirm that you are a quality rider with no need for improvement. I suck at riding so I repeat the experienced rider classes every few years. And I usually review my books and videos from Kenny, Keith and others to clear the cob webs out. It is like a mental tune up.

As far as I know, no MSF instructor has ever taken off a student’s name tag and shoved it into their forehead pins first for not acknowledging their presence. Now that is an AHole drill sergeant!
Old 02-21-2006, 02:51 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by divingindaytona";p=&quot
Hows this for an endorcement. - Next summer my wife is going to take the course. She is going to learn to ride.
Much better than sitting behind her on the SHawk and trying to explain the friction zone, as she lets go the clutch at 6K. :wink:

Seriously- good for her. Another rider will join the fold.

The instructors I knew (know) became instructors out of genuine care for other riders. Many gave up time with their families to teach a stranger how to ride safer and smarter. These are the sort of people who will ride back home and get their truck to help out a broken down motorcyclist.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Squid

YAMAROCKET630
I knew an MSF instructor in my former riding life. While he was not always obeying the law, he was without a doubt the smootest, safest, and most competent rider I've ever met.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Les
Squid

Les

I suspect the MSF instructors I know need to feel important thus they need an audience and by becoming an "instructor" they get an audience. Kinda like my scuba diving instructor who told stories about his diving experiences 90% of the time and what we needed to know to pass the test 10% of the time. He just needed an audience where he was the leader and got to speak the whole time which is fine but why am I spending money and time to listen to a clown speak?
Old 02-21-2006, 06:39 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt

Originally Posted by Les";p=&quot
I suspect the MSF instructors I know need to feel important thus they need an audience and by becoming an "instructor" they get an audience. Kinda like my scuba diving instructor who told stories about his diving experiences 90% of the time and what we needed to know to pass the test 10% of the time. He just needed an audience where he was the leader and got to speak the whole time which is fine but why am I spending money and time to listen to a clown speak?
Man, you sure got a nut about these two guys, don't you?
Old 02-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road

My wife and I both took the course last July, yes 104 deg, all that damn gear, sweating our asses off....And we loved every minute of it....We had 3 instructors, 1 was learning to be an instructor....They were all seasoned, and took a lot of time with each student....a few stories, but short and to make a point....well worth the bucks, and I know I am a safer rider for it....Now, can't speak for the rest of the country, that is just my experience in Plano, TX.....
Old 02-23-2006, 03:54 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt

If you're in Maryland, I feel confident in saying you can expect a better quality instructor at my school. The web address goes live in about two weeks.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Superstock

Jim,
What does "MVA" stand for?
Old 02-23-2006, 06:30 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt

Originally Posted by BirdofParadise";p=&quot
Jim,
What does "MVA" stand for?
Motor Vehicle Administration. Its a license granting course and they insist on having their name on everything.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Superstock

Oh.
I was trying to figure something with "Motorcycle".
I always think DMV for the motor vehicle dept.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:39 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, I thought motorcycle vigilante assassin sounded better.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:40 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
That's about right. Except that they'll torture you about your car too.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:41 PM
MotoGP

Old 02-23-2006, 07:45 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
Yeah, I thought motorcycle vigilante assassin sounded better.

Didn't see that coming!
Old 02-23-2006, 07:46 PM
MotoGP

Yeah I have a way with words. :wink:
Old 02-23-2006, 08:41 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
Yeah I have a way with words. :wink:
Now could you please do something constructive with them!!?
Old 02-23-2006, 08:47 PM
MotoGP

Hell no.....I tried that and got tired of rejection. wrote a bunch of shorts and I'm trying to write a novel it's just taking a looooooooong time.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

I have worn a bunch of shorts, but I don't know about writing any....I had a novel idea once ....lol....
Old 02-23-2006, 08:54 PM
MotoGP

Oh I see you've got talent too. Smartass!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:58 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

I gots skills b otch!!! lol....I gots skill I didn't know I has....man it is hard to type like that, I mean do people really talk like that, and how in the hell do they get passed the 2nd grade....sorry, soapbox.....
Old 02-23-2006, 09:01 PM
MotoGP

It's not skills....it's skillzzz.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:05 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Ok, so I gots mad skillzzzz.....See I can't any fu_k it up right....lol...that is sad....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Instructors