RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Police Run - Ins

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 02:52 PM
Back Marker

Badboy01 is on a distinguished road
Police Run - Ins

Temperature reached 56 degrees here yesterday, so I pulled off the tarp and fired up the bike for a short ride. Got about two miles down the road, and a Sheriff officer started to tail me. Not speeding, just got bike on the road, and noticed him immediately. Went about four miles further, and he lights me up. Pull over, and courteously asked him why I am being stopped? His exact words were, "I saw you weaving back and forth in your lane, and wanted to know what is going on????" I politely ask if he is a rider, and explained I was just heating up the tires, since the bike had not been ridden in a few months, so he smiles and apologizes. Officer is from Naples, Florida so we share Minnesota horror stories, I ask his name, and wish him the best since my oldest son is an Orange County sheriff officer in Orlando. Happy ending for both of us, but interesting way to start of riding season.

I've also had my run in with some not so friendly officers in Florida. Once I was tracked by a plane while riding down I4 for speeding in one of the famous speed traps near Orlando and slowed down before an officer hand waved me over to side of road. Grabbed my keys from ignition, called for tow truck to have my bike towed home, and asked me to step away from bike. I had recently gotten the bike, completing motorcycle training, but yet to have my endorsement on my license. Luckily tow driver was an avid bike rider, so he took me a few miles and let me off truck. Fought all the tickets and won. Officers didn't even have the bike color right on the tickets and speed was off by over 30mphs. These traps are a gold mine in Florida. Mainly looking for out of town folks who won't fight the tickets.

Finally, a detective in my own neighborhood followed me home and claimed I ran a stop sign around the corner. I didn't, came to a full stop and tapped my toe on the ground. Aware of Florida law for stop signs with bikers. Ran license, and then claimed I was fortunate because he wasn't going to arrest me that day???? Laughed and mentioned he had no justification for arresting me and fought his tickets and won also.

Curious to know about your Police stories world-wide and let us know how they turned out good or bad!
Old 03-21-2017, 03:57 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I got one last year on the Hawk. Very familiar street in the city I work, I was cruising @ the speed limit looking for an unfamiliar ball field to watch my sons game. Notice a police vehicle behind me and about 50 yards later he lights me up. Asks if I know why, I say I have no idea why... I wasn't speeding. Took my papers and came back w a ticket for some bull ****... failing to obey a traffic sign or something like that. I was pizzed! Only thing I could think of was @ one bad intersection (blind) where I didn't have to stop, @ the T a car crept out a little like they didn't see me, I rolled on the throttle for what I guessed about 20-30 yards, then immediately slowed back down. I changed that drivers mind about pulling out in front of me.
I fought it because to me it was a safety issue on my part. That driver was about to pull out, and I closed the gap, and raised my headlight a little in the process. Explained all this to the judge, along with information on the safety courses I took. And the fact that the cop had zero proof of my exact speed.

Guilty.

wtf.

Turns out he was sitting on a side street a block up from the intersection I referred to, so that wasn't the place he claims I was exceeding. And he had been timing people all day there, just wrapping up and heard my bike accelerate and estimated me to be going 35. WTF. No radar or timing proof but judge says guilty. Total BS there. I got bent over by the judge. Was just under $100 fine.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:17 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Does car stuff count?

I must have been 19. I was late. It was dark. I overtook a car at 100 mph and just as I was moving into the oncoming lane for the pass, the other car came into my headlights and I see the rollers in the rear window of the unmarked Illinois State Police car. I coasted pass at a ton, then coast down to the posted 55. After a long time, he approaches and lights me up. After I explain why I was going so fast (no one was dying or on fire) he asks me about the stickers on my windshield for driving/parking on Great Lakes Naval Training Center (Navy base) and then a few more insightful questions to cross check that I was really in the Nav, he goes back to his car and comes back with a warning at 63 and tells me to slow down and put my seat belt on.

I've remembered that every time I've been cited ever since. I mean, I've remembered that every time after the red haze clears.

Last edited by VTR1000F; 03-21-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:48 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Must be a bad year for bikes. I just got stopped at the midtown tunnel into Manhattan. I almost never get stopped. NYC is kinda wild west so as long as you aren't a crazy ghetto outlaw stunter they tend to leave you alone.

No ticket but based on the risks we take out there with the texting, stoned, drunk cagers, we should get a pass. I mean who are we going to hurt?
Old 03-22-2017, 08:01 PM
MotoGP

I never get a pass... And I'm not crazy ghetto outlaw stunter or texting stoned or drunk. What gives? How do you do it?
Old 03-22-2017, 08:18 PM
MotoGP

You just blend. Why did you visit and get stopped in the city?
Old 03-22-2017, 08:36 PM
MotoGP

Heck, it's my route to work... I have to travel it. I wasn't en-route to work but rather a baseball game that my son was playing in. I didn't know where the new field was. I certainly don't just cruise around in the urban jungle.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:43 PM
MotoGP

No I mean were you in NYC? When I leave the nice safe city I am very (mostly) cautious to obey traffic laws.

But some parts of NYC are such mayhem that whatever you do it just doesn't get noticed. I have seen NYPD drive right by accidents. Or if I round a bend on the BQE going closer to triple digits, they slow down and let me clear off.

Havent found anywhere else in the country where you can be so invisible on a bike.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:03 PM
Back Marker

Badboy01 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Heck, it's my route to work... I have to travel it. I wasn't en-route to work but rather a baseball game that my son was playing in. I didn't know where the new field was. I certainly don't just cruise around in the urban jungle.
I've learned Wolverine, that it can be related to the officer you run into. The only time I have had a gun pulled on me and feared for my life was when an officer pulled his weapon on me.

Back in 1996, before big time cell phone use and cameras, I left my office at the IDS Tower in Minneapolis and decided to visit a high end night club a few blocks down the road on a Friday night. Make a right turn in my CTS and suddenly get lit up by an officer. Pull over, let down the window and respectfully ask what happened? Officer claims I made a right turn without signaling???I disagree and start to give him my license that he requested, and he pulls his weapon! I am not armed, and did NOT make any threatening moves. Then he says "************, get out of the car and get your hands up!" Puts the weapon to my forehead, swings me around, slams me onto my car, and throws on the cuffs. It's after work and I am wearing a business suit, so I play it cool and do not resist in any way. I'm thinking this guy is about to take me out but luckily it is on a busy street with many people watching! I'm put in the back of the squad, license is ran, and I ask why I am being arrested. Officer claims I was resisting arrest! HUHN!!! Everything is good as usual with license and he finds out I'm a Senior Leader working downtown, so he thinks oh **** what do I do now? His demeanor immediately changes, and I am politely released with two tickets so he can cover his ***??? What if he would have shot me accidently? Guess I wouldn't be telling this story right now. Fight both tickets and win, call his watch commander and learn this guy is being disciplined for harassing many individuals and will probably be released from the force. What is he doing out on the streets? Note, I am still ticketed for doing nothing.

I have been pulled over hundreds of times in my lifetime, even in my own home neighborhoods! Both on the bike and in my car. This happens to others of all ethnic origins so I know it is not just a race thing! Once I was held on the side of the road for three hours in the middle of the night before I was let go. I didn't run or make a move. Reclined my seat, kicked on the radio and waited it out. Main difference for me in the past has been I have never been arrested, only had a few speeding tickets here or there, not a big drinker and don't do drugs. Also a lot of luck. I obey the law except possibly speeding. Hope my luck continues to hold out during the next few difficult years.