RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

How to haul a bike

Old 02-23-2014, 10:10 PM
Squid

JayTea is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb How to haul a bike

So I'm headed across the state to pick up my bike from my moms and about half way she calls and says that the weather is going bad and its going to be about 30* for the next several days... So I had to either ride it home 5 hours or come up with something else so here's what I came up with

How to haul a bike-img-20140223-00091.jpg

How to haul a bike-img-20140223-00092.jpg

I'm headed back in the morning so hopefully I don't get pulled over or anything
Fingers crossed
Old 02-23-2014, 10:21 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
WOW, I must say this is quite creative. How did it tow? I am impressed.

Also welcome to this fine webpage, you will find more than you probably care to know about the SuperChicken here. I know I have.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:42 PM
Squid

Ill find out tomorrow but its way over built so it should go well. The car already had a hitch and all the material was laying around the farm so no money out of pocket either
Thanks for the welcome
Jon
Old 02-24-2014, 12:43 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Yeah, very creative way to get it done! Only thing I would check on, is some states require a flag attached to anything extending four feet or more past the rear of the vehicle. But, not sure if that applies to a motorcycle being towed?

If it was me, I would just wing it, but if you were worried about the cops, swing through your local Homeboy Depot and grab a free flag...or use a red bandana if you have one, pretty much anything red really.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:55 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
You should have built it so it leans into the turns.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:10 AM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Might need to remove the chain so that the transmission shaft is not turning when the oil pump is not operating?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:06 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Nice! Love low buck creative solutions like this.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:28 AM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
Nice looking SH... but I dunno, I think I would have rented a U-Haul trailer.

That may work really well, but I'd spend the whole drive looking in the mirror, afraid the bike was going to fall off.

Not that looking in the mirror would help, but that wouldn't stop me from doing it anyway.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:44 AM
Squid

Well I'm about 2 hours away from home and its been working great so far I wish I had thought of this last year
I thought about taking the chain off but didn't get around to it...
Thanks for the complements
Old 02-24-2014, 08:45 AM
Squid

Might have to start making these.
On a side note no police attention so far

Last edited by JayTea; 02-24-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:30 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Great fast way to get that bike on the road!

This type of hauling isn't exactly new and certainly not harmful or dangerous as far as I know... They sell kits to haul bikes in a similar fashion with the front wheel still attached. Granted, not as cool as a home build version...

So I would assume they're pretty legal and relatively harmless to the motorcycle.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:54 AM
Squid

Almost there bike still secure and my daughter playing fruit ninla
How to haul a bike-img-20140224-00093.jpg
Old 02-24-2014, 10:29 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Actually if you don't remove the chain it is harmful to the bike. Without the oil pump running its not that great for the transmission. you are heating up the oil in the bike and it isn't getting cooled because it's not getting into the oil cooler, nor is it getting cleaned by the filter so you can end up with metal shavings in the oil that create even more metal shavings until you have sandpaper in the bottom end of the engine.

At the very least if you did not remove your chain you need to drain and swap your oil as
1) it may be dirty now

and

2) it may be a little burnt/brokedown now.

Of course it could be fine as well, but I wouldn't want to risk my engine for $20 worth of oil
Old 02-24-2014, 10:31 AM
Squid

I already have the oil and am planning on changing it b4 I ride
Old 02-24-2014, 10:55 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by JayTea
I already have the oil and am planning on changing it b4 I ride
Good deal, remember to clean and lube your chain as well. hauling it was almost as hard on it as riding it was
Old 02-24-2014, 11:19 AM
MotoGP

Out of curiosity, how much does the oil heat up in a situation like this? It's not getting cooled by the filter, but it's also not getting heated by a thousand 500cc explosions per minute. Just thinking out loud.

The metal shavings make sense somewhat, but aren't those immediately filtered out once you start the bike and therefore the pump and filter? It doesn't seem like they're less filtered than when it's running for those miles, just not dumping fresh oil on the tranny specifically.

I'm not refuting you to be an *******, just genuinely curious. How how is your oil pan, JayTea?
Old 02-24-2014, 11:29 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by 7moore7
Out of curiosity, how much does the oil heat up in a situation like this? It's not getting cooled by the filter, but it's also not getting heated by a thousand 500cc explosions per minute. Just thinking out loud.

The metal shavings make sense somewhat, but aren't those immediately filtered out once you start the bike and therefore the pump and filter? It doesn't seem like they're less filtered than when it's running for those miles, just not dumping fresh oil on the tranny specifically.

I'm not refuting you to be an *******, just genuinely curious. How how is your oil pan, JayTea?
I obviously state worst case scenario, I don't take your post to be assholeish at all.

While I don't think doing this for a short trip are particularly harmful or abusive, I've also seen transmissions that grenaded while being towed like this. I don't know how the transmission was treated before hand or if there was a pre-existing problem with it before hand, just that I've helped replace gears afterwords on a GSX600 Kanoftuna (Bike was just purchased, test rode fine, brought home this way across maryland and pensylvania to NY and transmission was fubared when we got home, oil was very sparkly)
Old 02-24-2014, 12:10 PM
MotoGP

That settles it. The only solution would to turn the bike on so the cooling and pumping systems all work. And in that case, you probably need a person on the bike to hold the throttle at 3krpm and a little TV in front of them to play through different track levels like that game at Dave & Buster's.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Squid

I didn't get a chance to check when I got home just passed out but if I have to do this again I will slide the axel forward enought to get the chain off the sprocket and ziptie it out of the way
Old 02-24-2014, 01:09 PM
Squid

So how should I change the oil? I've always gotten vehicles up to tempature so the oil thins and drains all the way but I don't want to risk damaging anything by running it possibly having an unsafe amount of metal in the oil?
Old 02-24-2014, 01:35 PM
MotoGP

You could tow it for 10 miles and have the oil heat itself up! Or toss some candles under the oil pan!

But don't actually do those things...
Old 02-24-2014, 02:25 PM
Superstock

I normally use 1/4 of a quart of clean oil in my bike and drain again to get the last little bit out of the bottom. Remember if the bike has been sitting a while all the garbage will settle to the bottom. A magnetic drain plug helps this as well
Old 02-24-2014, 03:03 PM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
See, that would have been my view all the way home, oblivious to what is happening in front of me, only looking at the bike and listening to Fruit Ninja!

Old 02-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Back Marker

Appletonhawk is on a distinguished road
Man love the creativity, but if it was me I would of either rented a trailer or borrowed one. I purched my bike only 30 or so miles from home and had my buddy go with me that has a trailer designed for hauling bikes because his bikes are not street legal (race bikes). I was nervous riding her home because it had been 10 years since the last time I owned a bike when I bought my hawk and from there to my house its all freeway that is very busy.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:55 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Appletonhawk
Man love the creativity, but if it was me I would of either rented a trailer or borrowed one. I purched my bike only 30 or so miles from home and had my buddy go with me that has a trailer designed for hauling bikes because his bikes are not street legal (race bikes). I was nervous riding her home because it had been 10 years since the last time I owned a bike when I bought my hawk and from there to my house its all freeway that is very busy.
When I bought mine an hour from home it had been 5 years since I was on 2 wheels (and the last bike was a 600) and raining. Went with the bike trailer from 5 years ago when the bikes were gotten rid of and hauled her home

I don't ever like to ride a new bike home. I couldn't say why. Maybe just because I like to get used to it on the familiar roads at home
Old 02-24-2014, 09:17 PM
Back Marker

superbeater is on a distinguished road
Just as Insulinboy postulates that towing with the chain on is harmful, I would suggest it is not. Only the transmission is turning. I'm not sure if it has oil bathing it or not but it doesn't generate heat.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:52 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Depends on whether the spinning shaft is lubricated by pressure or splash. Looking at the drawings, I think it's splash.

Last edited by thetophatflash; 02-24-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:55 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Man, very creative and good injunuity but if I were there I would've tried to talk you out of it. At the least I would have put tie downs on the bars to stabilize.

The forks werent meant for lateral loads and it just doesnt quite look safe. I guess cuz I have seen so many bikes fall off those fork bottom stands.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:34 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Looks to me like his tow framis replaces the front wheel with the axle holding the bike in place. No way it could fall off unless the axle were to fall out and that's not likely. If you put tie downs on it, that wouldn't allow the bike to lean when the car turns causing mucho tweakage.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:29 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
If you put tie downs on it, that wouldn't allow the bike to lean when the car turns causing mucho tweakage.
Nah, no tie downs. I'm pretty sure he was hoping the centrifugal force of the spinning rear wheel would keep it up. Kinda like how a bike stays upright when you pull a wheelie. I think thats why he brought his kid with. She would hold the bike upright untill 10-15 mph or so.
20mph would have been better, but remember, young kids don't have the long legs necessary to run that fast. So, where was I...oh yeah, so she would hold the bike while he got the car up to speed, then with a mighty leap, launch herself into the back seat. A game of Fruit Ninja was her reward.
Stopping on the other hand...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to haul a bike