RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

How to confront a wreckless driver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 01:43 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
How to confront a wreckless driver?

My latest run in with an insane cager happened on my ride home from work. I work in the larger city in my area, but that is less than 50k people so its not very big, so I don't usually have many bad encounters. Anyways, I came up to a red light on a road with two lanes travelling each direction divided by a center turn lane. I always lane share to the front when traffic is stopped, it is legal here and I really don't feel like being rear ended. This particular time there were 3 cars in front of me in the #1 lane and 3 in the #2 lane. I signaled and switched over to the #2 lane as #1 had a big SUV at the front taking up the lane and #2 was smaller cars. I was completely in the right lane, idling through in 1st gear. When I got to the rear bumper of the big suv in lane 1 the passenger throws the door open blocking my path. Luckily I stopped in time, and they shut the door so I continued to the limit line. Im thinking maybe they didn't know I was there, but when I look in my mirror I see the middle aged, wealthy looking soccer mom cracking up and pointing. I turn around and stare at her and the meat head driving and he's giving me the "come at me bro" look. I shook my head and ignored them, I'm not one to start a confrontation, especially in the middle of the road. Then as soon as the light turns green the guy punches it, chirping his tires, and swerves over in front of me. I'm a hot headed guy when I get pushed that far, and I'm pretty sure he could see my ears steaming as I followed him around the neighbor hood he turned into. I followed him for 10 minutes while he drove around waiting for him to stop to have some words with him. I had to be somewhere and didn't feel like wasting gas following him around all day, so I flew by him on a straight and took out his passenger side mirror.

I got to thinking about it and I honestly don't know what I would say that wouldn't provoke a physical altercation. I am not one to try and settle thugs with violence, and I'm not a big guy either, but I am not afraid to get my *** kicked if it comes down to it.

How do you guys handle situation's like this and what would you have said? I'm looking for ways to get my message across that they are being an asshat and endangering other people without saying "hey you ******* piece of **** I'm going to kill you", which is usually the first thought in my mind.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Your on a bike, their in a car? I try to just ignore it! There are plenty of stupid people out there, it's just not worth getting into some road rage accident.

Seriously! what you going to do say in a months time when this person or persons are driving in another vehicle, say their beat up old peice of **** work truck, and decide to ram you off the road! Your never know why? Just be dead in a ditch some place? It just is not worth it? Plus if they got your licence plate this morning. Thats even worst? What if they report you to the police for dangerous and wreckless driving. LOOK CRAZY MOTORCYCLIST EVEN TOOK OUT MY MIRROR!!
My advice just chill.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:31 PM
aja
SuperSport

Sorry, but if you intentionally open your door in front of me then cut me off and almost hit me, I'm not going to just chill. If one riders lets someone get away with that, hiw do you know they won't do it to another rider but actually hurt someone this time?

I understand there are dangers of being on a bike and having a confrontation with a vehicle, but how likely is it that someone would run me down? I doubt they saw little more than my jacket color as it was dark, so I am not worried about being seen later or my plate number being taken. Not to mention intentionally blocking the path of a motorcycle with your vehicle is assault with a deadly weapon.

I'm not saying it was right to hit his mirror, but adrenaline and anger makes you do stupid things, that's why I am asking about alternative methods.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:02 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Take a picture of the vehicle and or gestures being made, call the police and make a compliant.

Your situation is one of the few things local law enforcement is good for, that and taking reports after an event.

The guy was a tool, but in my opinion... your actions place you not far behind him in the "tool" category.

Im all for defending yourself... but unless your intent was to beat up the car door, the threat was over... and once over, call the cops and let them do their job..

If he had gotten out and come at you .. well then have at it.. Follow him in order to provoke a confrontation... Not a bright idea... take a pic of his home or the house he stopped at? Sure.

If you think Im a pacifistic or non confrontational from my comments, you'd be wrong.... but choosing ones fights is always a wise choice.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:15 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
first of all we all should remember this video...

and second, I am just like you, and have encountered situations where ive been almost run over both intentionally and unintentionally, ive had people try and kiss my taillight persistently...

I get very angry, however have been controlled enough to not damage their car as ive never been in the situation to get away without having to give them a chance to read my plate...

with that said, if i were nowhere near my hometown, maybe in a different state, and had the space and ability to get away with damaging their car and not getting caught...probably... in a hometown city setting where i know i would probably see them again or they could spot my plate or my bike on the side of the road.. probably not
Old 09-20-2012, 03:21 PM
aja
SuperSport

I didn't follow him to have an altercation, more so that I could say something when he stopped. Something along the lines of "are you trying to kill or hurt someone? Stop being a jackass".

I guess I forgot to mention that when I followed him into the neighborhood he would randomly slam on his brakes, then speed off, then slam on his brakes again. That should have been my first clue to just leave it, but we do stupid things when our judgement is clouded. Had he continued on the road I would have left it, but I thought he would be stopping so I followed him with the intention of having his address and license plate number and having a word. I need to get a helmet cam invade I ever need to make a report to the police in a similar situation.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aja
I didn't follow him to have an altercation, more so that I could say something when he stopped. Something along the lines of "are you trying to kill or hurt someone? Stop being a jackass".

I guess I forgot to mention that when I followed him into the neighborhood he would randomly slam on his brakes, then speed off, then slam on his brakes again. That should have been my first clue to just leave it, but we do stupid things when our judgement is clouded. Had he continued on the road I would have left it, but I thought he would be stopping so I followed him with the intention of having his address and license plate number and having a word. I need to get a helmet cam invade I ever need to make a report to the police in a similar situation.
Im not above doing stupid things in the heat of the moment, so I understand your point

Glad you did not go down.. or shot later by a road rager, or run over.

Form the outside looking in..... Screw um... call the cops, let um do something if they can.. Even if he had stopped, and you had bitched him out... it would not have changed his opinion or actions next time...

A citation, court visit, or at least interaction with Johnny law would not have changed his mental midgetry , but it might have convinced him to just be irritated in the car next time instead of acting out.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:24 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
Winning in the situation you were in was being able to ride away uninjured with an undamaged bike. Nothing you could have said to the driver or the woman in the SUV would have transformed them into better people.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:47 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
Following someone is pointless, because you can't force them off the road with your motorcycle...so at their leisure they can call up the cops, or ten of their buddies and just lead you somewhere that isn't going to be good for you.

What you could do is if you really think what they did is worth getting revenge, follow them at a distance and note what street they go down; then if you're angry enough to go smash em up later on, have a good time! (you probably won't give a **** later).
Old 09-20-2012, 06:47 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
I get the opportunity to experience these numbskulls more often than most, let's just say because of my riding style, and mostly take it stride because I've learned to anticipate many of their tricks....... but sometimes I get stupid. This could depend on how I feel and what the cager has done. I could write a book, there have been that many.

I'm passing this dude and his girlfriend in a pick-up on a short straight, no passing zone, and he slides over on forcing me to the edge of the road. I got around, shot him a good long emphatic bird and took off. 3 miles up the road i came to a stop sign and by then was boiling. "This *******'s trying to kill me". Put my bike on the stand in the middle of the lane, whipped my helmet off and waited for this jerk-off to arrive. I intended to see if my helmet was hard enough to I don't know what, whatever it takes, smash his window, his head, both.

So he pulls up behind me and i walk up to his window, hollering WTF is your problem. He says you were passing me on double yellow and i let him have with a bunch of expletives since he apparently was not interested in doing battle with a raging maniac in an armored suit wielding a wrecking ball.

Later on down the road, as i calmed myself back to reality, i thought, well the guy could have just run over me and my bike right there at the stop sign, there wasn't a soul around to see him; or pulled his gun and and put a hole in my head, or a hundred other possibilities. Generally, the wisest thing to do is to remember that you are sharing the road with ******** driving tanks and you are sitting there in your birthday suit. Best to just shoot em the bird and keep on gettin it unless you get backed in a corner, then anything goes.

Last edited by nath981; 09-22-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:33 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
I uinderstand you aja. It's like high school all over again when the bullies
are after you for no reason. Once again, you find yourself as the underdog since your on a bike.
This may sound sexest, I however have noticed, I often have stupid cagers do thoughtless things on the road to me, and when I look inside
the car, it's a pretty 20's or so driving.

Here's my solution for anyone interested. Tested and proven (so far at least). Was once pushed off my lane completely by a cager. Honked my horn to advise what they did. Cager responded with a finger .
Next stop light, stopped my bike inches away from the driver door, and
pressed the horn on the Hawk without stopping, while looking inside the car at him. 15,20 or 30 seconds at a time. Two things happened, I attracted alot of attention from other drivers at that intersection, and, by looking at the *** h*** in the car, he suddenly became very uncomfortable with the situation. He began to try and roll forward and run the red light. When the light turned green, he gunned it to get out of there.
I think the fact that I attracted so much attention towards us, he could no longer be a wise *** and pursue his arrogance since now, there are many witnesses looking. And anyone who owns a Honda bike, knows the horn on these things is pretty load.

I'm a pretty ill tempered guy when I have stupid things done to me that way, and perhaps it was not the smartest thing to do, but, in the heat of the moment, seemed like a good solution at the time. And, will not hesitate to do it again if circumstances lead this way again.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:05 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Hey flash, that is a smart idea. I have had a run in or two with the 8 or so million wackos in this great city. At first I built some spiked gloves & carried an extendable tonfa. (I dont recommend this vigilante style).

You kinda got to have a game plan before you ride. Your goal is to get to point B safely & EVERYONE is hell bent on stopping you. Whatever you need to do to be OK and keep riding is what you gotta do.

You cant play bumper tag with no bumpers and there is no arguing with steel so ALWAYS avoid conflict and flee. I KNOW its really hard but in the end someone riling you up is very likely to make you ride unsafely & then they win.

Aja, that situation was a tuff one to ignore. I cant say I wouldnt've followed em too. But it will mostly lead to great unhappiness.

I also like the take a picture thing since it removes the annonimity of the incident.

I even do the horn thing if someone is on a cell phone. And I do believe that loud pipes do save lives. You just get a different viceral reaction from drivers.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:18 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by comedo
Winning in the situation you were in was being able to ride away uninjured with an undamaged bike. Nothing you could have said to the driver or the woman in the SUV would have transformed them into better people.
A+ Can't put it much better than that. It's hard to let stuff like that go but...

And as far as reporting these types of things to the police GOOD LUCK. I have tried with make & model, license plate, etc and you wouldn't believe the ridiculous conversation you'll end up having. And they won't take a report without taking all YOUR info down and do you really want some crazy to be able to get a copy of the police report and show up at your front door a few days later. I've saved people's info for awhile while the thoughts ran through my head. But in the end let it go, be happy you can just leave in one piece. There are way too many ******** out there to change the world or teach people a lesson. And yes I can fully appreciate this is way easier said than done.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
These fit nicely in your pocket and can be dropped at regular intervals.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:27 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I simply note down the plates, or pull it of the helmet cam that is running most of the times... If it's really bad, I'll call the cops... If not, I'll just call them up and inform them how easy it is to pull their information of the internet once I have the plates and find them after they have been naughty on the road... Usually they are by then pretty apologetic...
Old 09-22-2012, 02:41 AM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
Aja,

Glad you made it home without any other incident. It is hard on the road sometimes.

You never know what you may come across. The Lord must like crazy people...He made so much of them.

Live to ride another day. That guy might have just been envious,..
Had a hard enough time riding a tricycle much less a motorcycle. I tend to just feel
very sorry for them, not to know what its like to "Ride". They will get "there's" one day
believe you me. Maybe he failed his riding test(Tricycle) and never got over it...

Live to Ride and Ride to Live...

Ride Well...