RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Hawk Down - Red Light Rear Ended

Old 03-22-2010, 01:42 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Glad you're OK. Only fair you should come out money ahead on the deal.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:50 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
makes me want to find a 20 yo punk and kick his ***... sorry the dbag killed yer hawk. don't think yer ok if yer not 100% now... it'll be hard as phuque to get them to pay if you come up lame past the original point of negotiation...
Old 03-22-2010, 06:38 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
Wow! thank god you and the wife are alive!!!
Old 03-22-2010, 07:27 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Glad you're ok Surfer! Glad they missed the wife too! I think the others are right - let them total it then rebuild. Yours is so new it's worth it. Do some rehab on that lower back.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:52 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Again, I want to thank everybody for the great response. I've always been a defensive rider. The only time I'm not checking my mirrors is when I'm in the twisties. This one just bit me in the ***...literally.

Originally Posted by jbaxx
Awww hell Don, I just saw this thread. Glad you're (mostly) ok. Let me know if I can help you in any way.
Thanks Jerry, I saw the orthopedist today, and I called McGraw Insurance...first claim in 24 years of coverage. As for my bike, I'm taking it up to the dealer tomorrow to get a ballpark...total or not.

My wife saw it all, 1st row. She said I got a perfect 10 for a backwards layout with full leg extension in a perfect "V".

I'm just glad to be alive. I remember some years ago a CHP on a call, accelerating onto the 605 in the fog at night, rear ended a motorcyclist, who went through the windshield and died.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 03-22-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:22 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Don't hesitate to at least talk to a lawyer too. Shouldn't cost you anything and to have them in from the start is a help if his insurance decides to kick up a fuss.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:42 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
I agree in regard to contacting a lawyer, especially if you have a back injury. The last thing any insurance company wants to do is pay for a claim. Everyone knows they are low-ballin MF'rs. Will definitely maximize your settlement.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Schnitzel
Squid

PHxS is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear you are just a bit sore and the little woman didn't get hit. I think I would have gone ape **** on the kid if things were worse.

I tell you, the sound of screeching tires behind you has to be the scariest thing i've experienced. It made me ditch the integrator which came with the bike and get some turn signals back on my baby. I even one upped the tail light with the innards from an R1 and added some cheap turn signals modified with 12 LEDs in each. With 15 high intensity LEDs in the tail, I get seen during the day and noticed over a mile away at night. I need to get pictures up.

People don't pay attention where I work and there have been plenty of accidents and near collisions in front of the place. We even had a FIVE vehicle accident right at the driveway. I can't even recall how many times I had heard people slamming on their brakes at intersections and turning in to the shop.

I feel for you and hope no other injuries are found beyond the soreness and broken heart.

Ryan B.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:55 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Hey how you doing today? Any word yet on insurance?
Old 03-24-2010, 08:57 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by zmaniv
Hey how you doing today? Any word yet on insurance?
Thanks for the concern Z-man. I'm going through my insurance for my bike, took it up to the dealer today. Then they will get recouped from his insurance.

His insurance is covering the medical.

My problems are nothing compared to what you've gone through.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:05 PM
Squid

4bangeranger is on a distinguished road
glad your ok, some old lady opened her door on me two months ago. still in a cast.. still been riding tho.. all i can say is i hope he had insurance.. good luck

i also almost had it happen to me in the rain i ran the red just from the sound behind me. turns out some young girl texting and driving. and i would just fix the cracks on side with some fiber glass cloth and good epoxy. just drill a hole at the end of the crack so it wont keep running. fixed many bikes like this.

Last edited by 4bangeranger; 03-24-2010 at 11:11 PM. Reason: its past 5 o clock
Old 04-26-2010, 05:31 PM
MotoGP

My bike should be ready by the end of this week, I hope. It's been at the dealer since 3/24. The estimate came out to a total = about $5000, but I want my bike back and my back is in no shape to do that much wrenching. Maximum they will pay to fix it is $3686, so I'm making some concessions:

having rear wheel straightened rather than replaced (bent in about 1/8" on right side of rim, new wheel is $750)

leave rear fender on, which was bent (it was already trimmed, I can just trim some more)

don't replace right mirror and right rear turn signal (both are rashed, but not broken)

Yoshimura Titanium Slip-ons instead of stock mufflers ($1100 a pair) That was a hard decision

I didn't even know the rear wheel was bent until the adjuster told me. The bent portion must have been behind the swing arm for the 4 days my bike was tied down in the bed of my truck.

I'll try to get reimbursed for the mirror and the turn signal from his insurance later. I'm itching to ride, and to hear what it sounds like with the Yosh cans. My wife's SV has a Yosh stainless slip-on.

4banger, I hope your cast is off by now.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 04-26-2010 at 05:35 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:23 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Good to hear, I was wondering how you and your bike were doing...you'll like the Yoshimura's, nice and mellow...
Old 04-26-2010, 07:17 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
won't they just total the bike and let you buy it back for salvage or doesn't that work in CA?
Old 04-26-2010, 07:19 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by oahu hawk
Good to hear, I was wondering how you and your bike were doing...you'll like the Yoshimura's, nice and mellow...
Thanks oahu, I plan on taking out the street baffles. I didn't do that on my wife's SV until about 1 1/2 years after I installed it...she loves it. As for the neighbors, they have a barking dog, so this kind of evens it up.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:27 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nath981
won't they just total the bike and let you buy it back for salvage or doesn't that work in CA?
Sure I could do that, but that would only work out if I was going to bolt everything on myself. I'm 1/2 way through 8 weeks of physical therapy now, so bending over my bike with a wrench in my hand doesn't sound too good. Back and neck spasms and pain. I figure that the cost of replacing the remaining rashed parts (only 2) will be part of the pain and suffering settlement.

I also thought briefly about taking the $5050 Kelly BB value and buying another VTR, but they are rare around here, and this is my baby since I bought it new in August '05.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:38 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Sure I could do that, but that would only work out if I was going to bolt everything on myself. I'm 1/2 way through 8 weeks of physical therapy now, so bending over my bike with a wrench in my hand doesn't sound too good. Back and neck spasms and pain. I figure that the cost of replacing the remaining rashed parts (only 2) will be part of the pain and suffering settlement.

I also thought briefly about taking the $5050 Kelly BB value and buying another VTR, but they are rare around here, and this is my baby since I bought it new in August '05.
I see. They gave me 5000 for mine, and another 1200 for my riding suit, boots, helmet and tank bag. Then I bought it back for 1200. Like you. I wanted my bike back cause I knew what it was and that the frame wasn't bent. They tried to give me 4500, but I argued and they relented.

Wish i was out there, i'd help you put it back together.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:46 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nath981
I see. They gave me 5000 for mine, and another 1200 for my riding suit, boots, helmet and tank bag. Then I bought it back for 1200. Like you. I wanted my bike back cause I knew what it was and that the frame wasn't bent. They tried to give me 4500, but I argued and they relented.

Wish i was out there, i'd help you put it back together.
Thanks for the offer nath. It's 7 hours labor from the dealer. Surprisingly, my helmet, jacket and boots came out unscathed, since I went backwards over the tail section, about 4 feet in the air, then landed flat on my back on the asphalt. My Shift SR-1 jacket has a 1/4" dense foam back pad, otherwise I'm sure my back would be worse off.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:55 PM
MotoGP

Thanks for the offer nath. It's 7 hours labor from the dealer. Surprisingly, my helmet, jacket and boots came out unscathed, since I went backwards over the tail section, about 4 feet in the air, then landed flat on my back on the asphalt. My Shift SR-1 jacket has a 1/4" dense foam back pad, otherwise I'm sure my back would be worse off.
yeah hell, we just worked on steve29s bike for 2 and half days. 7 hours would have been a cakewalk huh. Main thing, get the body repaired. PT, strength training, good food and rest and you'll be back at it, huh. Speedy recovery.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:20 PM
98' SH stock
Squid

Moehawk005 is on a distinguished road
hey surfer sorry 'bout ur bike
but the goodthing is that u and ur wife r fine.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:35 PM
MotoGP

so bending over my bike with a wrench in my hand doesn't sound too good. Back and neck spasms and pain.

Bike lift.

Like you could find her again. I mean the bike, !!!!!

The other one too, and glad she's alright.

I think you should rebuild.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:26 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk, You probably missed my first post today. I'm hoping to get my bike back from the dealer by the end of this week. With Yosh titanium slip-ons in place of my badly bent stock cans.

And yes, what I'm most thankful for is that the little dweeb missed my wife.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:55 PM
MotoGP

The bad news is, I still don't have my bike back. The good news is that I rode Ortega Highway today...on my wife's bike. Of course I'd ridden her '07 SV650S many times since it was new, including commuting to my auto teaching job, before I retired, when it needed an oil change. But I'd never ridden it in the twisties.

She rode up to the Candy Store, I drove our truck up there with my gear in the back seat. Then I hopped on and rode over to Elsinore and back twice. First thing I noticed was, where I'm usually entering corners at about 5k rpm in 3rd on my VTR, I needed to be at 7k to 8k rpm on the SV to get any drive out of the corners. Once I found that out, I had a blast. The SV is much lighter handling than the SuperHawk, but I can't wait to get my Hawk back. I miss the torque.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:47 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
What is taking them so long?
Old 05-06-2010, 11:02 PM
MotoGP

The dealer has had all the parts for at least 3 weeks. Remember, it was basically a total, but I said I wanted it repaired and would be okay with leaving a couple of rashed parts on it. They found a few more bent bolts, and realized the water pump seals would need to be replaced, so the adjuster was called back out. He decided to work it out by using a different shop to straighten the wheel. He should have called me, but he didn't.

The hold up is with the wheel. I called today and the service manager said the hold up now is that they need an invoice before they can cut a check for the wheel. I'm wondering if the shop f---ed up the wheel.

Whatever, I'm not accepting it until it's fixed right. At least I got to ride today.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:37 AM
MotoGP

I'm glad you're working back so well. When I wrecked my inner circle huddled with me and said it's alright if this jumps out at you in your sleep for a while. I never did think of it as a life or death situation but the more they helped me understand the process that's exactly what I played out.

Working on the bike was my best therapy. Making sure it was going to be just as great but greater than it was. I couldn't hold a ******* wrench to save my *** but I could hold a scrub brush.

My FIL got hit years ago from behind on his way to his teacher's job in the Seattle area. He survived that only to succumb to my xw behavior. At our age the sacroiliac is the most important joint in our bodies.

Do your rehab and post up what your therapist is having you do. It could be helpful for all of us.

You should have been riding in Texas tonight.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:22 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
The twenty y.o. twit has no clue as to how lucky he was running you down instead of what I witnessed.

A local biker (A Warlock!) was waiting at the light across from me and, as I watched, a blond bimbette talking on a cell slammed him into the middle of the intersection. He got up, looked at his crunched chopper, at his bleeding elbows and walked over to her door.

Taking the cell from her hand he called the police on HER phone then told her to 'just sit the f*** right there' until the cops come. He looked murderous from my vantage point and she didn't even breathe as the light changed and I had to pull away. Always wondered what chapter two was from that scenario.

I guess it's true, the nicest people are on Hondas. Your guy got off easy.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Glad you're still with us bro!
Old 05-14-2010, 08:21 PM
MotoGP

Good news, I'm getting my bike back tomorrow. Sunday will be 8 weeks since I was rammed by a Tacoma. I'm picking it up first thing in the morning. I can't wait to hear the Yoshimura titanium slip-ons, with the street baffles pulled as soon as it gets home.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:48 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Good news, I'm getting my bike back tomorrow. Sunday will be 8 weeks since I was rammed by a Tacoma. I'm picking it up first thing in the morning. I can't wait to hear the Yoshimura titanium slip-ons, with the street baffles pulled as soon as it gets home.

Yee Haw!!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hawk Down - Red Light Rear Ended