RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

"The battery costs what?"

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:51 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sheldonsl
Or, wise up and ditch the Superhawk for something that won't strand you away from home. Just my 2 shiny pennies.
So, if you take a perfect stock superhawk, fix the flaws of the ccts and R/R (and wiring/corrosion), it will strand you? I know of many bikes with major flaws, much bigger than the shawk, that would strand you long before the shawk would. I don't get this statement, as I surmise that the problems that most people have are completely avoidable. There have been way too many people that have come on here, didnt listen to advice, and then got mad when things didnt go their way. The superhawk is a fantastic bike that is as reliable as its owner. How reliable are you?
Old 12-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Superstock

sheldonsl is on a distinguished road
As I look around here, I see numerous posts where something was fixed, fixed again, replaced, repaired and still broke down. I'm starting to think a Harley would be an improvement as far as reliability is concerned. If someone told me the 10 year old bike I'm about to buy had to be rewired, I'd run screaming in the opposite direction.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:34 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
As I look around here, I see numerous posts where something was fixed, fixed again, replaced, repaired and still broke down. I'm starting to think a Harley would be an improvement as far as reliability is concerned. If someone told me the 10 year old bike I'm about to buy had to be rewired, I'd run screaming in the opposite direction.
I definitely agree with that feeling sometimes, but people don't usually run to internet forums to talk about how reliably and smoothly their bike is running.

I'd bet that if you look at a Harley forum or a Suzuki TL forum or a STIHL chainsaw forum or a Sony TV forum you'd conclude that in general humans can't make things worth a **** and can only communicate effectively if conversations is sprinkled with little yellow circles
Old 12-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Oh, don't get me started on the wiring on the Harleys... The guy who put together the wiring on a friends brand spanking 2011 bike did pretty decent work for someone working without opposable thumbs and with only a hammer, a philips head and a pack of gum... But that's about it... The R/R on that bike is decidedly worse than the stock VTR one, and the grounding is horrible, so I expect it to start having trouble after two or three light rainshowers, or when the vaseline they had "sealed" all the non waterproof connectors they riddled the bike with... And that's supposedly 14 years "newer" tech than the VTR.... Bah humbug...

The thing is, the same guy has a small Chinese made bike, that cost about the same as a sixpack of beer... The wiring on that bike normally makes me cringe, but the scary part is that it's actually better than the Harley... They have used sealed connectors, the wiring is if not of adequate size probably oversized instead of undersized, and believe it or not, it actually came with a mosfet type R/R from the factory :shocked:... It's the size of a pack of gum, and will probably go "Poof" if you try to draw 1W over spec, but it's a mosfet R/R, on a cheap Chinese knock of bike, where they have copied the engine from an 70's Honda with slighly less finesse than the original...

No, the 10 year old bike doesn't necessarily need to be rewired... It however needs catching up on the maintainance the previous owner/owners didn't do... Ie check the wiring and contacts for corrosion, and with an ohm meter, clean and then seal with vaseline if necessary, and if it's really bad, replace part of the wiring... That's maintainance, and on a 10 year old bike, it's about time it's done... On any 10 year old vehicle, the wiring needs at least checking... It's a simple fact that electronics also needs maintainance, even if a lot of people are intimidated by trying to do that... Or seems to think it will magically work forever, and never break... What other things do you own that keeps working forever with no fixing, and no maintainence?

And as far as fixing, yeah, I see people fixing and re-fixing their R/R's a lot too... And most of them keep swapping the R/R and battery, but not fixing why they break, so what do you expect?

A large part of why the wiring is sub-par on a stock VTR, is the headlight wiring... That's a one time fix with a relay and decent gauge wires from the battery... And that takes a fairly big load off the system... Then improve the grounding around the R/R and on both ends of the harness, by the headlight, and by the rear and you have reduced the load a bit more... Then ditch the stock ignition coils that after 10 years are most likely corroded on their connection to the frame (easily seen with the naked eye), making the system work hard to start the bike... Swap in CBR stick coils, another one time fix that cheap and easy to do, and well documented...

With the better grounding in place, with the load for the headlight off the system, and the coils getting full juice, your wiring is much happier... And with fresh vaseline keeping everything protected from new corrosion, it keeps on being happy...

At this point a fresh battery and mosfet R/R will live on near indefinitely as long as you keep the system free from corrosion...
Old 12-22-2011, 03:59 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Tweety, I think it is important to note that this is the same type of upgrades anyone would be doing to a bike of this era, and it doesn't take a 10 year old bike to have stator, r/r, battery, and other failures as well. I think some people just DONT get it.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Back Marker

D VTR RIDER is on a distinguished road
With the exception of blowing a coil, I've never had any issues with wiring on my 2000 VTR. I even have the original R/R. When I do have any issues, I will sort it out then. I have to admit that maybe I should change the R/R but then as many would say, if it isn't broke, don't fix it. The only except to that rule would be the CCT.
I own a FJR1300 as well and that bike has a ton of issues starting with the CCT's, electric grounding, etc. The throttle problems are acute. It is so bad that it is like an on/off switch. I had an 85 fuel injected bike that was light speed ahead of that FI. It most have some virtues since it's still in the garage. Now if a Triumph Sprint GT comes along at the right price, The FJR is gone.
From my experience, the VTR is as reliable as you are going to get from any bike, bar none. And on a scale of 1-10, a Harley Ferguson is a 0.5.
The VTR will be in my garage until I can't ride it anymore.
In the winter I will light a fire in the garage, crack open a pint, turn on some tunes and do preventative maintenance that I feel needs doing. Some are annual and others are not. Then add in bike modifications that we all know have to be done LOL and pretty soon it is time to ride again.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
I have a friend with a Buell. The crank and rods are the only engine component that has not failed at some point. There are thousands of those out there.

I have a superhawk that I've owned for 9 years. The only maintenance it has received is cleaning and tire and oil changes.

Whatever this thread is doing to your impression of Superhawks, know that this is as good as it gets in the world of motos.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Superstock

I'd say those with no issues are vastly outnumbered by those with multiple problems and those with Superhawks in pieces.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:35 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I took mine apart and it reassembled itself at 3am, using parts from other bikes. I cut a big hole in the clutch cover though... that should keep it out of service for awhile!

Old 12-31-2011, 03:13 AM
Superstock

Getting back to the battery issue, my brother went to Pete's Cycle(a dealer here in Md.)and got a new batt for his Superhawk for under $60. Nothing fancy, but not too bad a price.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:09 AM
MotoGP

I'd say those with no issues are vastly outnumbered by those with multiple problems and those with Superhawks in pieces.
Actually, that statement is rather untrue if you look at the amount of bikes sold and currently used... But you got one thing right...

The amount of forum members posting about their bikes with one or more issue, vastly outnumber the one's posting that have no issues...

But then again, if nothing is wrong, do you go looking for help fixing it? Really, that's the case with every bike, car or whatever... The large mass that's got no issues keep quiet, while the one's with problems seek advice...

And also, if we then take the actual amount of people with problems, and separate out those with self inflicted issues, and issues that are common to all bikes, like not bothering to secure the slave cylinder when swapping front sprocket and then needing to bleed the clutch, not bothering to clean the calipers when replacing the brake pads, and a bunch of other stuff that isn't really related to it being a Superhawk, I'd say the list of people having "multiple issues" with this bike, simply because of design flaws or an inherent unreliable nature is pretty short... And if you compare it to a selection of other bikes from the same year of desig, it's very, very short...

But keep feeding your delusions... It's really making you popular around here...
Old 01-01-2012, 06:06 AM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Demand leadership in 2012!

Click the little red and white triangle in the lower left of any post you think crosses the line and report to the moderators. Ask that they enforce the rules.

I bought a battery @ wal-mart last time. It's going on 6 years old with no trouble but I think even that one was $60+. That price for a battery @ a motorcycle store is pretty low.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Ok, gang, the trash was taken to the curb..

Let’s see if we can agree, to disagree, and discuss the topics at hand whatever they might be, and leave the trash talk about other posters off this forum.

In a bunch of years other then tossing Spammers to the curb, and one user or two that had classified issues.. Threads here only get out of hand for a few posts then self correct.
Thank you for that.

How about we get back to that idea.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:39 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

geekonamotorcycle is on a distinguished road
I just bought the recommended battery from Walmart and was a bit disappointed because it is tall enough to not allow me to close the battery cover all the way. This replaced my bikemaster true gel which failed me after having sat for over a month and being recharged. when you fill the Walmart battery be careful to not get acid on yourself. It hurts!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:49 AM
Back Marker

Kelevra is on a distinguished road
I'm seeing 2 different part numbers for 97-2000 VTR's and then a second pt # for others after that. If I ordered a battery for the 97-2000, will it work fine? Thanks for your responses.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Back Marker

meanhawk98 is on a distinguished road
i spent $39.00 + tax
Old 02-27-2012, 12:57 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Kelevra
I'm seeing 2 different part numbers for 97-2000 VTR's and then a second pt # for others after that. If I ordered a battery for the 97-2000, will it work fine? Thanks for your responses.
The OEM battery for the older model is slightly taller, so it won't fit the battery box of the new box without taking of the lid... But other than that, it fits and works fine...
Old 02-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Back Marker

Thanks man, I guess I'll just have to ditch the cover. I didn't order an OEM, so maybe it will fit without the surgery.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:17 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

geekonamotorcycle is on a distinguished road
Its odd. I bought the suggested battery and am on a 2000 but it still didnt quite fit. I can still put the seat on, but it annoys me that the battery cover wont colse all the way.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by geekonamotorcycle
Its odd. I bought the suggested battery and am on a 2000 but it still didnt quite fit. I can still put the seat on, but it annoys me that the battery cover wont colse all the way.
I see your point. Worst case scenario is I have to pay $10- to ship it back and a few dollars more for the other part #, no big deal.