RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Attention all people who order stuff online and all package delivery drivers(rant)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 08:06 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Attention all people who order stuff online and all package delivery drivers(rant)

A little background:

Some of you know I am a UPS delivery driver. I work in some major cities in Massachussets. I deliver around 180-220 stops a day and handle 250-350+ packages a day.

The rant:

Dont think for one second that if you call in a complaint, that it is not verified by the driver

So occasionally, maybe once every other week, a customer will call in and complain saying the driver didnt ring the doorbell and just left a notice "but I was home, can he(she) redeliver?". Now some houses you cant always hear the bell ring when you push the button and some you can. But people seem to think that they can call in a complaint to the center and the center is just going to make us go back... NOT TRUE!

When a complaint is called in like this the first thing the center will do is send a message to the driver relaying the complaint, and expecting details from the driver on that specific delivery attempt. Depending on the circumstances the center will ASK the driver if he could reattempt delivery. In the case where I used the doorbell and couldnt hear it go off inside the house, given that I am still in the area, I will give the customer the benefit of the doubt and redeliver. HOWEVER, if there are verifiable, blatant lies I WILL NOT!

A couple weeks ago I had an instance where I could not hear the bell go off. The customer called in saying "The driver didnt ring the bell, just put a notice on the mailbox and left". I verified that I rang the bell but could not confirm whether or not the bell was functional so I gave them the benefit of the doubt and went back. I went back and she was waiting for me outside. I asked if her doorbell worked and she said no, its broken. I chuckled, got a signature and left. All she had to tell the center was that she was home, her doorbell was broken and its her replacement phone that she needs because she has kids etc... why make up false accusations?

So the reason for this rant is I got 2 BLATENT LIES back to back today...

The first was at a six family house, the doorbells and mailboxes are inside the house at the bottom of the stairs and you can hear the doorbells loud and clear from where the buttons are. I get a message on the scanner "customer states they left a note to ring the bell, you didnt ring the bell and she was home"(mind you, the complaint was a good 3 hours after the attempt) I sent back, rang the bell, heard it loud and clear, dogs started barking" I then sent an additional message as this was a second attempt "if she was home why didnt she meet me knowing i needed signature"... No response from the center, not even a request to redeliver, guess they already knew what my response would be...

The second was another six family apartment but the buzzers were outside and are unable to be heard. "Customer states you didnt ring buzzer and just left notice" "customer states you should have used back door it is unlocked can you redeliver" my response "I did ring buzzer" "Its always been the front door, thats where the buzzers are" and the center responds "customer now states buzzer is broken" "its ok use back door when you deliver monday"

I just dont get it... why do people think that they can get away with trying to taint another persons reputation with lies for their own benefit? your just tainting your reputation as a customer

I mean sometimes it works. And sometimes they call in a legit issue with a delivery attempt...

BUT ALL COMPLAINTS ARE ALWAYS VERIFIED WITH THE DRIVER...ALWAYS (and we remember)

I am a cover driver so I get thrown all over the place but the routes that I know, I know well enough to know the people, the regulars, the commercial customers, the houses I will always need a signature at etc...

But the drivers who "own" these routes have been delivering to the same people for 10-20-30+ years...

And for the love of god! we are not going to just leave a notice, I dont know why this is the most common lie, because it makes the least sense. We do not desire to attempt the same delivery 2-3 days in a row. We want to get every package off our truck every day... F$%!

Conclusion:

We are not faceless, we are not nameless, and you cant taint our reputation with your lies... we know more about you than you think; we know your names, faces, nicknames, whether your married, whether or not your going through a divorce, your pets, your kids, your hobbies, what kind of car you drive, what food you cook and the list goes on... we are at your doorstep almost every day...
Old 07-31-2015, 08:19 PM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
I have an account with UPS, and the driver(s) come to my place of work everyday. I always help the guy put the boxes/packages in the truck cause I know you guys work hard, and in not always the best conditions. When it's 30c outside, and the humidity is high...not fun.
Then comes winter time with the icy drive ways, snowy roads, snow storms, etc., I feel for you. I always make sure to have small talk with the drivers, and shoot a few laugh with him if I can.

You guys work hard, no doubt.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:28 PM
SuperBike

We appreciate customers like you, and I have commercial and residential customers like you...

And yea this past week I havent been able to do much on the bike because my body has been completely useless after work. 32C+ and humid with 300+ packages every day, clothes completely drenched with sweat and no matter how much water I drank the heat takes its toll...

And this past winter in New England reaching record breaking snowfall and then keep breaking that record week after week I was out until 930-1030 at night (starting at 830 in the morning)... yea I worked construction for 10 years and that doesnt compare to the physical demands of this job
Old 07-31-2015, 10:38 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Great rant... glad you're honest and trustworthy. Thank you.

Like your customers that are not so, same with UPS drivers.
I have VIDEO of two different drivers NOT driving down the driveway to attempt delivery and just putting a notice on the post box. Both told whoever is the receiver and responded to complaints they came down the driveway, rang the doorbell and got no answer. Both LIED.. both NEVER came down the driveway, both never rang the doorbell three large dogs that bark at everything and myself on the other side of the door... video showing driver turning in the cul de sac .. stepping out, tagging mailbox, or fence post and leaving.

So while I accept your opinions and observations that some residents lie... I know for a fact, some UPS drivers lie as well.
I dont know why those two drivers choose not to drive down 350 feet of paved driveway.. perhaps it is too much hassle to turn around in my driveway.... perhaps it is because I'm at the end of the route and typical delivery time is 4-6pm.. perhaps they are replacement drivers and figured they would leave that 80lb package to someone else.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:41 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
This was the most interesting, well written rant in a while.

I get a ton of stuff from UPS and almost never see the same driver twice. I am in NYC maybe 5 min from the huge UPS hub so maybe they try new guys out on my hood.

Full respect to UPS and the job but I have had guys just leave the sticker and split. I know its nutty but they for sure have done it.

I will remember to keep my story straight though.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:52 PM
SuperBike

I appreciate all your feedback, and yes I know there are dishonest drivers as well, but I am not dishonest, I cant be, its not in my nature and I value being an asset to the company as much as I value their generous pay and compensation...

And yea I could imagine in NYC routes change alot... its not about training new guys its about numbers. they want to put out so many stops/packages per route to make a 9.5 hour day but trying not to go over 10hours... its a lot more complicated then that but you get the idea
Old 07-31-2015, 11:04 PM
SuperBike

And Erik, that is the wrong way to do that... I save myself time on situations like that(thats why they love me ther, 'cause I'm quick)

In that situation, if I didnt need a signature I would back up your driveway and leave that sombitch in front of your garage, no knocking on your door or ringing the bell because honestly whos gonna drive up a 350ft driveway to steal a 80+lb package... if I did need a signature I would back up your driveway and scan the package in the truck and wouldnt touch it until I found out you were home....
Old 08-01-2015, 03:58 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scottiemann
And Erik, that is the wrong way to do that... I save myself time on situations like that(thats why they love me ther, 'cause I'm quick)

In that situation, if I didnt need a signature I would back up your driveway and leave that sombitch in front of your garage, no knocking on your door or ringing the bell because honestly whos gonna drive up a 350ft driveway to steal a 80+lb package... if I did need a signature I would back up your driveway and scan the package in the truck and wouldnt touch it until I found out you were home....
Packages Im referring to require a signature. They are motors in a 60qt igloo cooler. I have them shipped to me from all over, and they only go out though the main hub.
I appreciate it's a time vs reward thing... not delivering ONE package may be better that spending 10 min on that one package? Not sure...just know it has happened and ONLY on the coolers.....and only with those two drivers, one who I've never seen a again, and another that I see back occasionally.

I get 3-10 packages a week... UPS, FEDEX, USPS and send out about 1/2 that many in a week. so while only a residential customer, In reasonable high volume. I see my drivers a bunch, most times the gate is closed and I just step out the door or garage and shout down thanks.. and the packages is left. If I'm expecting a signature package I meet them at the gate, or leave the gate open and dogs inside.

I have missed a few delivers because I had the gate shut and was in the shop and did not hear the dog's alert.. that is MY FAULT. .. no issue. My regular FEDEX home delivery guy knows to honk the horn if he does not see me by the time he is out of the truck.. but as most of his deliveries are no signature, it just gets dropped over the gate. ...works for me.

Bottom line, 99% of my deliveries (and the drivers) ROCK.. but there are exceptions.
BTW..are UPS drivers not allowed to take tips or anything from customers?

It's either that or none of my drivers like cold water or gatorade ..as I normally bring a bottle for them down with me when the texas summer heat is scorching... but always get told no thanks. (I suppose another possibility..is I look like a serial killer and they are afraid of getting drugged and dismembered...)
Old 08-01-2015, 04:26 AM
SuperBike

Lol well i hope you have a good relationship with your normal UPS driver as much as your FEDEX guy...

And as far as tips go, in this heat, Ill take all the water and gatorade I can get. Two short stories on that note, earlier this week I was doing a route and was done early, however a driver in boston was slammed and in trouble, because I knew the route he was doingI was sent an hour out of my way to go meet him and take 25 stops from him. During which I was at the corner of 2 streets making a delivery, as I walked back to my truck a man from across the street(who I was not delivering to) yelled out "hey, you want a water?" Absolutely... its 90something out and my uniform is drenched head to toe from sweat...

The prior week I was doing that route in boston and I had a residential address with 23 big boxes of cabinetry, the man was alone with his not-even-1-year-old grandson "hey, can I pay you $20 to bring these upstairs" ... sure can lol... 20 minutes later, dripping in sweat he gives me another $10 before I leave, profusely thanking me in the process.

The only thing I can think of with the water is that if the driver doesnt have a cooler with him and already has a beverage, whatever you give him will be **** warm in the matter of 30 minutes... all aluminum construction and no AC

Ive been getting all my waters this past week from certain residential and commercial customers... or maybe they are just being overly polite at the expense of their health
Old 08-01-2015, 08:24 AM
Back Marker

twinman is on a distinguished road
Cool

I feel your pain man i used to be a Fed Ex Ground driver, there is a lot that can go wrong and certainly meet all kinds when dealing with the general public.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:22 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Scott good post

My buddy just started as a UPS driver & he likes it.

Now don't get me started on USPS - Woof are they bad - at least by me - Lazy SOBs, no wonder the joint is going broke!

I was waiting on a Verizon delivery, I think, and I was home - Door bell works. I'm in a Townhouse development & my driveway to front door (located on the side of TH) is about 50' - I'm thinking not too much to ask to come ring my bell, if package requires a signature. Never rang the bell - went to mailbox & there is a notice - I'm like WTF! I was pissed.

Went to mail annex (about a 10 min drive) to get the package - the mail woman is fat & a guess very lazy, as others have complained too.

Also most of the time they leave packages by my garage & not 25' away by front door. Since we're in a development anyone walking by can grab it, no cool. And most of the time we don't know its there.

This past Winter if the path in front of mailboxes was not totally clear if snow - they wouldn't deliver, this happened basically 3 times a week for 6 weeks - really a PITA. One could easily drive up to boxes & put the mail in, at least 90% of the time - just plan lazy!

Ok rant off

Go UPS & FedEx peeps....