RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

$3 Gas...It must be Summer

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 04:17 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by davidka
Hate to break it to you but the US is the most powerful nation on the planet by a long margin. The US has the most powerful military again, by a long margin. His capture by an enemy government would be a security problem for several nations other than the US. By most measures, he is the most important man in the world.
There goes that arrogance again. I think the Chinese and the Russians would argue that pont. Please excuse some of our ciizens Tweety, some have never been out of the state they live in and do not have a clue about the world. One of Obama's problems is his arrogance in thinking that he is the most important man in the world. I can't wait to see Romney spank him again for 90 minutes and certainly Biden is all set to embarrass himself going against Ryan.

Ask the Catholic church what? The Catholic Church is fine and has never had it's religious rights threatened.
Obama's edict that forces Catholics to provide birth control and sterilization services against their beliefs hasn't endeared Obama to the Pope or the Catholic church for that matter.

Obama’s Attack on Religion: Round Two (Suspended) « The Constitution Club

At the very minimum it tends to favor one denomination over another in that the denominations that allow birth control would seem to be getting favor and therefore is contradictory to the Bill of Rights. You would think that a guy who was a Constitutional Law professor would know better.

Obama's presidency has been the best thing for gun makers and owners in decades. I bet the NRA is supporting his campaign.
The best thing for gun sales! I acquired a few more during his administration. Now if he gets re-elected we will see the other shoe drop. Imagine trying to ban guns as in Chicago which by the way has over 400 murders this year alone. Sounds to me like the wrong people are armed in Chicago but that's Obama's buddy Rahm running that city.

Last edited by RWhisen; 10-07-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:55 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RWhisen
There goes that arrogance again. I think the Chinese and the Russians would argue that pont. Please excuse some of our ciizens Tweety, some have never been out of the state they live in and do not have a clue about the world. One of Obama's problems is his arrogance in thinking that he is the most important man in the world. I can't wait to see Romney spank him again for 90 minutes and certainly Biden is all set to embarrass himself going against Ryan.

I have been to over 20 other countries, including China. They could argue but they wouldn't because they'd be wrong. The President of the US is far more important to China than the Chinese PM. The US president is the one that continues to allow China access to the largest consumer base in the world, without which, China's economy would collapse in months.

Obama's edict that forces Catholics to provide birth control and sterilization services against their beliefs hasn't endeared Obama to the Pope or the Catholic church for that matter.

Religious freedom is an individual right per the Constitution, not an institutional one. Not taking birth control because of your religious beliefs = religious freedom (FWIW Catholics use b/c as much as any cross section in the country). Operating a health care center that serves people of all religions and denying specific forms of care = imposing religious beliefs on others. If they want to stand on that wobbly chair, then they need to serve Catholics only and stop accepting tax breaks and federal grant money.

Obama’s Attack on Religion: Round Two (Suspended) « The Constitution Club

At the very minimum it tends to favor one denomination over another in that the denominations that allow birth control would seem to be getting favor and therefore is contradictory to the Bill of Rights. You would think that a guy who was a Constitutional Law professor would know better.

The best thing for gun sales! I acquired a few more during his administration. Now if he gets re-elected we will see the other shoe drop. Imagine trying to ban guns as in Chicago which by the way has over 400 murders this year alone. Sounds to me like the wrong people are armed in Chicago but that's Obama's buddy Rahm running that city.

We are now up to 49 states with CCW rights. Mine turned during Obama's administration. We've had a few of the worst mass shootings in US history during his watch. These events do more to damage public opinion of gun freedom than anything else in our culture. Obama has not lifted a finger to make gun control more strict. The anti-gun president story is a right-wing marketing plan that's driving gun and ammo companies to historic profits and growth. They love the guy.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:33 PM
SuperBike

Davidka-
Not to play one-upsmanship but I have 34 countries in my passport, lived for many, many years overseas and I will tell you that with no uncertainty, people around the world dislike our arrogance and the "Ugly American" mentality.

My business IS the military (retired from the US Army, but still in the military industrial complex) and you would be surprised how vulnerable our military is.

You are attempting to play semantics and dodging responsibility (no doubt learned from Barry) saying an indivdual vs. institutional right when a LARGE group of individuals form an institution. A basic tenant of Catholocism is forbidding the use of birth control. How can you trample their rights to practice their religion how they seem fit because Obama says they must provide birth control? The Catholics can offer whatever brand of health care they want. If you want free birth control, walk down to Planned Parenthood. What federal grant monies does the Catholic Church receive for operating clinics? Don't you think that is standing on the slippery slope of favoring one church over another and establishing a "state church"?

Obama's rhetoric about gun control still punctuates his presidency. He has made statements to that affect before. If he is re-elected he will attempt to push his agenda through.
Bang: Ryan warns gun control coming in Obama 2nd term | WashingtonExaminer.com

Obama has largely avoided the gun issue in his first term, especially after his 2008 presidential campaign gaffe in which he said bitter, rural Americans "cling to guns or religion." Yep, a bunch of dumb-rednecks slinging guns and bibles in his eyes.

Face it, your boy is the worst US President since Jimmy Carter and hopefully enough undecided voters make that same determination when November rolls around and we can return the United States to a respected country instead of the laughing stock of the world.

Last edited by RWhisen; 10-07-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
RWhisen; we live in a secular society...no matter how much religious idiots try to claim we don't, or that this country was "founded with God in mind", etc... the church is to be separate from state...and that means no special treatment for morons of any kind...not just catholics.

Birth control is part of a proper health benefits package...we're not trampling on rights by enforcing this, we're enforcing the right of people mixed in with the idiots to have some sanity in their lives.

If you happen to be catholic, fear not! your right to self-delusion is not going to be taken away.

I don't support Obama, I'm just not deluded enough (see above) to think that the GOP is offering any alternative.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Davidka-
Not to play one-upsmanship but I have 34 countries in my passport, lived for many, many years overseas and I will tell you that with no uncertainty, people around the world dislike our arrogance and the "Ugly American" mentality.

My business IS the military (retired from the US Army, but still in the military industrial complex) and you would be surprised how vulnerable our military is.

Face it, your boy is the worst US President since Jimmy Carter and hopefully enough undecided voters make that same determination when November rolls around and we can return the United States to a respected country instead of the laughing stock of the world.

Never said anything about whether or not he or we were liked abroad. The US President (any of them) is the Commander in Chief of the most powerful military in the world and stands at the front of foreign policy of the largest economy in the world. The US president is on the front of that. WHO is more important than the US president on this planet?

We were losing 750k jobs/month when he took office. We're @ +114k/mo. now. That's a nearly 900k swing. The stock market is at full strength, we're drawing down on two pointless wars Bush started (without paying for) and we've seen Wall St. and Health Care reform that keep the money in the private sector, not to mention our auto industry is competitive again instead of just gone. Imagine what could have been accomplished if the Republicans didn't take the last 3.5 years off of their jobs to picket Congress internally (they learned that from the unions..). I hope he wins again and it looks like he will. Some countries may not like it, but they sure as hell won't be laughing about it.

If Ryan is worried about what Obama's position was in his earlier career then why is he running for VP with a Liberal (who also supported more gun control)? The gun control thing is just to get a rise out of the base. There is no reason to believe that Obama will waste any of his attention on it.

Last edited by davidka; 10-07-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:57 PM
SuperBike

You are saying that if you are religous you are an idiot? By requiring the Catholic Church to provide birth control you ARE trampling on their rights and the practice of their religion. What is next? Will you require Jewish and Muslims to eat pork to satisfy your special brand of nirvana? Perhaps the simple requirement for Baptists to put aside their beliefs and drink and dance like foolish monkeys?

Birth control is part of a proper health care package for who? All women under age 21? Welfare mothers? There YOU go imposing YOUR beliefs and values on the rest of society. Why do you want to impose your will on Catholics? Did the Pope **** you off? Were you abused as a young alter boy? You have access to birth control, get it, use it before you reproduce yourself.

For you to review:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

By enacting laws contrary to other people beliefs you ARE making a law prohibiting the free exercise of Catholocism.

By the way, I am not Catholic but Episcopal (we can do pretty much anything and be cool with it) but I can see their point. I do enjoy yanking liberal's chains just to see them get all frothy mouthed with their self-righteous BS. I especially like to needle the mindless Obama supporters.

Your concern for others rights in this case confuses me because aren't you the same idiot who practices his own brand of megalomania by terrorizing the streets of his neighborhood in his little pseudo-race car without regard to children who may be playing in the area? I suppose though you wouldn't have to worry about those children if everyone had used birth control. I am sure your neighbors wish your mother had exercised that option.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:12 PM
SuperBike

Never said anything about whether or not he or we were liked abroad. The US President (any of them) is the Commander in Chief of the most powerful military in the world and stands at the front of foreign policy of the largest economy in the world. The US president is on the front of that. WHO is more important than the US president on this planet?

We were losing 750k jobs/month when he took office. We're @ +114k/mo. now. That's a nearly 900k swing. The stock market is at full strength, we're drawing down on two pointless wars Bush started (without paying for) and we've seen Wall St. and Health Care reform that keep the money in the private sector, not to mention our auto industry is competitive again instead of just gone. Imagine what could have been accomplished if the Republicans didn't take the last 3.5 years off of their jobs to picket Congress internally (they learned that from the unions..). I hope he wins again and it looks like he will. Some countries may not like it, but they sure as hell won't be laughing about it.

If Ryan is worried about what Obama's position was in his earlier career then why is he running for VP with a Liberal (who also supported more gun control)? The gun control thing is just to get a rise out of the base. There is no reason to believe that Obama will waste any of his attention on it.

Your man had 2 years of House control and couldn't get a freaking thing done. The Republicans have had enough of his spend our way to prosperity approach. Try that with your bank account and see how long you last. Our economy has slipped to number two in the world and is on it's way to number three with our poor credit rating.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...-economy_N.htm

I think you should read the report as published by the Dept. of Labor before you go crowing it as a triumph of Obama's policy.

THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION -- SEPTEMBER 2012

The unemployment rate decreased to 7.8 percent in September, and total nonfarm payroll employment rose by 114,000, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported today. Employment increased in health care and in transportation and warehousing but changed little in most other major industries.

Household Survey Data

The unemployment rate declined by 0.3 percentage point to 7.8 percent in September. For the first 8 months of the year, the rate held within a narrow range of 8.1 and 8.3 percent.

Wow, what a great feat! He increased low-wage jobs by 144,000! Amazing! Wonderful! He is the Messiah!

BS

I figure one more debate where he has to think on his own without a teleprompter will do Obama in. Only God knows what idiocy will come out of Biden's mouth. Can't wait for that one, perhaps he'll talk about putting people in chains again, that was a classic.

Last edited by RWhisen; 10-07-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Birth control is part of a proper health care package for who?
I'd say any woman or couple who is sexually active but not wanting more children. How many is that (not counting millions of Catholics already using it)?
Old 10-07-2012, 07:18 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Birth control is part of a proper health care package for who?

I think I can clarify this better than Davidka.... The availability of birth control is part of a proper health care package. If a church hires some to, lets say, maintain their school and church, they cannot provide them with a health care package that suits their religion. What's that, you have sickle cell anemia? Yeah, pray to Jesus, he will fix that for you right after he takes care of Betty's hearing loss...
Old 10-07-2012, 07:46 PM
SuperBike

Oh Yeah, P.S. and all that stuff, The Bible says that we should stone those who commit blasphemy. Separation of church and state, right?!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:58 PM
SuperBike

Sorry, still can't see forcing your beliefs on a group of people regardless of how out of touch anyone else thinks they are. It's their church. Their beliefs.

Are you going to have bacon, lettuce and tomato night at the synagogue and mosque because the cafeteria staff wants it? What are you going to do about the boutique religions like Kabbala? They are not mainstream and certainly must be full of nuts right? How about the folks of Seventh Day Adventists? They go to church on Saturday! Ridiculous! Everybody knows that is college football day. The mind police must stop them. Even more outrageous is the Scientologists. They don't take medicines and depend on the will of God for healing. Wow, what idiots right when we know that the "Science" in their name must be some sort of play on words to distract us. Don't forget the Jehovah's Witnesses, only 244,000 will make it to the top tier of their heaven pyramid scheme. Heck, at least that's more than the jobs Obama created this month but if we can disband them they won't be ringing our doorbells. Lest we forget the Latter Day Saints, followers of the book of Mormon. A religion invented by Joseph Smith with a magic rock and some gold plates. Do you think they should be forced to comply with more traditional worship practices, give up their "power jammies" and stop riding bicycles? If the Hindu have their way; we will all be prohibited from chowing on some tasty steaks and burgers because they think it is their long departed relative.

The whole point of this is where will the religion police start? Where will they end? Who are you (or we) to tell someone what they have to comply with in their own church?

Originally Posted by autoteach
Oh Yeah, P.S. and all that stuff, The Bible says that we should stone those who commit blasphemy. Separation of church and state, right?!
I don't follow. You like to rock?

Last edited by RWhisen; 10-07-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:11 PM
SuperBike

Sorry, still can't see forcing your beliefs on a group of people regardless of how out of touch anyone else thinks they are. It's their church. Their beliefs.

Are you going to have bacon, lettuce and tomato night at the synagogue and mosque because the cafeteria staff wants it?
No, but if an employee for the synagogue is not Jewish and would like to eat bacon, let them eat BACON. OR, and that was a big or, you could tell them that any employee of the synagogue, Jewish or otherwise, cannot eat bacon. If they even think of bacon, they should repent

So, what were you saying about forcing beliefs, and where were we forcing them?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 PM
SuperBike

No, but if an employee for the synagogue is not Jewish and would like to eat bacon, let them eat BACON. OR, and that was a big or, you could tell them that any employee of the synagogue, Jewish or otherwise, cannot eat bacon. If they even think of bacon, they should repent

So, what were you saying about forcing beliefs, and where were we forcing them?
No one said Miss Piggy couldn't work there or eat bacon, it's just that you shouldn't expect to cook your pork rinds on the premises and hog down with the rabbi. I am not that well versed on Jewish beliefs so I don't know if dreaming of a giant honey glazed ham is a mortal sin or not.

Similarly, if you want to use birth control and work for the Vatican so be it, however you shouldn't expect the Pope to insert your diaphragm or pay for your abortion.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Superstock
Superstock

Similarly, if you want to use birth control and work for the Vatican so be it, however you shouldn't expect the Pope to insert your diaphragm or pay for your abortion.
If the Vatican is part of a National health care system that has agreed upon a set of services that include diaphragm insertion and safe abortion then you should expect him to do it, even if it's against his personal beliefs. If it is too large a moral issue for him then he needs to narrow his practice to only offer services to other Catholics.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:53 PM
SuperBike

oh, by the way.. ha. Ok, seriously, I think a person who is Jewish can cook bacon, serve it, watch others eat it, and clean up afterwards without it being an issue.

Oh yeah, I get your next jump here...I just said that Christians should pay for, provide, carryout, and clean up after abortions. To that I say, what better use for Christians?!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:08 PM
SuperBike

But the Catholics aren't getting money from the federal government for providing services otherwise they couldn't try and gang save them at the end of their treatment.

When I was in high school I working slinging pizzas we had a Jewish girl who worked there that wouldn't go near the pork for the pizzas.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Superstock

You are saying that if you are religous you are an idiot?
Very good! Yes, this is what I was implying. If your reading comprehension is good enough to understand that, why can't you understand the rest of what everyone else is saying? Health care as part of employment transcends any religious beliefs.

People should be free to believe as they like, as long as it has no significant impact on things that actually matter; like benefits packages as part of work.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:25 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by blamecanada
Very good! Yes, this is what I was implying. If your reading comprehension is good enough to understand that, why can't you understand the rest of what everyone else is saying? Health care as part of employment transcends any religious beliefs......
Seriously? I don't even know where to begin with you........the point is so far above your head.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Back Marker

ascothawk is on a distinguished road
What does all of this have to do with $3.00 gas ?
Old 10-08-2012, 08:20 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Birth control is part of a proper health benefits package...we're not trampling on rights by enforcing this, we're enforcing the right of people mixed in with the idiots to have some sanity in their lives.
Isn't the whole point of freedom to choose that some people will make the wrong choice?

For some reason "majority rule" is equated to "individual rights" when they are often the opposite.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:22 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by ascothawk
What does all of this have to do with $3.00 gas ?
Too expensive to ride... must bicker online!
Old 10-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Superstock

Seriously? I don't even know where to begin with you........the point is so far above your head.
Catholicism on its own is fine, but there should be no "right" to have an organization based on it. Religion should never be allowed to manifest itself as a corporation working toward an end. If you want to sacrifice some goats in your spare time...you have fun with that, but you should never be allowed to base pay, benefits packages, etc... on those beliefs.

Your erroneous belief that this is an inherent right that we have is the reason you think you have some lofty point that is incomprehensible to me...quite the opposite, I know what you are getting at...you're just incorrect.

Health care is a universal item that we all need, and it should have universal standards...trying to exclude proper contraception from a healthcare plan is the same as teaching children that the earth is only 10,000 years old...it's just plain wrong.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:45 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
oh, by the way.. ha. Ok, seriously, I think a person who is Jewish can cook bacon, serve it, watch others eat it, and clean up afterwards without it being an issue.

Oh yeah, I get your next jump here...I just said that Christians should pay for, provide, carryout, and clean up after abortions. To that I say, what better use for Christians?!
What a disgusting and despicable thing to say about christians or any other religion. And please don't trot out Old testament crap when Jesus never said any of that.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:24 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by HRCA#1
What a disgusting and despicable thing to say about christians or any other religion. And please don't trot out Old testament crap when Jesus never said any of that.
Using a technique from my favorite apologists, I am sorry that you are so easily offended.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:50 PM
SuperBike

You have NO rights in California except to pay higher taxes.
As I said on page 2......
Old 10-09-2012, 09:57 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I have been to over 20 other countries, including China. They could argue but they wouldn't because they'd be wrong. The President of the US is far more important to China than the Chinese PM. The US president is the one that continues to allow China access to the largest consumer base in the world, without which, China's economy would collapse in months.
Well, good for you, then how many countries have you lived in for say more than 3 months? Or more than 6 months? Having been to some 40+ countries myself, and lived in 5 different countries longer than 6 months, besides Sweden, I'm not that easily impressed...

As for weather he's important or not... Well, yes, he does play an important role internationally, and yes his policies impacts other countries... I have never said anything different... But is he the single most important man in the world? Nope... Not even close...

But you know, I don't even have to argue this point with you, I can just let you do it for me... The simple fact is, I pointed out to you that it's fairly arrogant to take the standpoint that "My president is the most important man in the world!", but not making any derogatory statements about the US, or the president... You then come back with a host of statements to back your position, completely ignoring the point I was making... Case in point... You are arrogant... Needs no more proof...

The simple thruth is that 9 out of 10 Americans I have met, both in Sweden, and in other countries are more or less appalled when they find out that they when visiting a foreign country are supposed to navigate around by signs not in english, have to find somebody that speaks english to translate, as opposed to one or several that does not, and the list goes on... I'm American, it's my way or the highway kind of doesn't come across as very cultivated when you are trying to impose it on another country that has no reason to follow your rules... And that's just the issue with american tourists...

Then we have the issue of US politicians and companies trying to impose US law on other countries, when infact US law stops being a law once you cross the border... You can negotiate a international law, but you cannot impose the US law... If you do, you are infact a criminal, as you are violating the law in another country, which actually is a law, since you are on that country's sovereign soil...

Then we have the "world police issue"... The US should spend more time taking care of it's internal issues, like it's bank system, segregation, rampant high crime rate, and the list goes on, instead of trying to impose it's will on the rest of the world... If the US didn't have any problems at all, and was the perfect model country where everybody was happy, healthy and wealthy, then possibly it would a be a point in doing so, but since you can't run your own country, leave the rest of the world alone to deal, with their problems...

Then the military... Yeah, once upon a time the US army was unbeatable... And once upon a time the princess dropped a glass slipper, and the dragon slayer did this and that... Yadda, yadda, yadda... In the real world, not fairytale land, the US army is like the rest of the country's administration... Big, unwieldy and slow... It's not the most powerful, even thought it's certainly the most costly...

Now, I like a lot of you guys here, and I can separate the image of the arrogant US tourist and whatnot from you, and see the person... But trust me, it irks me to get that kind of arrogance on this board... And since I'm about to get really annoyed, and say some stuff you really won't like, drop the issue, admit to the fact that the statement you made, while true or not, the way you made it, was in fact arrogant... And then we can both co-exist happily...
Old 10-09-2012, 10:06 AM
Superstock

hehe, telling us how arrogant we are while simultaneously filling a post with how we should change our ways and run our country differently.

lose the inferiority complex man, empires rise and fall...it doesn't matter that Sweden isn't a powerful nation, because the powerful nations change even in one human lifetime.

Last edited by blamecanada; 10-09-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:17 AM
MotoGP

filling a post with how we should change our ways and run our country differently.
He actually didn't say any of that.

His only remark that was close was saying that 9/10 Americans don't respect other countries policies while in that particular country.

It like walking around without pants on in your house and then being upset when people react to you walking around without pants in their house.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:01 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
Well, good for you, then how many countries have you lived in for say more than 3 months? Or more than 6 months? Having been to some 40+ countries myself, and lived in 5 different countries longer than 6 months, besides Sweden, I'm not that easily impressed...

As for weather he's important or not... Well, yes, he does play an important role internationally, and yes his policies impacts other countries... I have never said anything different... But is he the single most important man in the world? Nope... Not even close...

But you know, I don't even have to argue this point with you, I can just let you do it for me... The simple fact is, I pointed out to you that it's fairly arrogant to take the standpoint that "My president is the most important man in the world!", but not making any derogatory statements about the US, or the president... You then come back with a host of statements to back your position, completely ignoring the point I was making... Case in point... You are arrogant... Needs no more proof...

The simple thruth is that 9 out of 10 Americans I have met, both in Sweden, and in other countries are more or less appalled when they find out that they when visiting a foreign country are supposed to navigate around by signs not in english, have to find somebody that speaks english to translate, as opposed to one or several that does not, and the list goes on... I'm American, it's my way or the highway kind of doesn't come across as very cultivated when you are trying to impose it on another country that has no reason to follow your rules... And that's just the issue with american tourists...

Then we have the issue of US politicians and companies trying to impose US law on other countries, when infact US law stops being a law once you cross the border... You can negotiate a international law, but you cannot impose the US law... If you do, you are infact a criminal, as you are violating the law in another country, which actually is a law, since you are on that country's sovereign soil...

Then we have the "world police issue"... The US should spend more time taking care of it's internal issues, like it's bank system, segregation, rampant high crime rate, and the list goes on, instead of trying to impose it's will on the rest of the world... If the US didn't have any problems at all, and was the perfect model country where everybody was happy, healthy and wealthy, then possibly it would a be a point in doing so, but since you can't run your own country, leave the rest of the world alone to deal, with their problems...

Then the military... Yeah, once upon a time the US army was unbeatable... And once upon a time the princess dropped a glass slipper, and the dragon slayer did this and that... Yadda, yadda, yadda... In the real world, not fairytale land, the US army is like the rest of the country's administration... Big, unwieldy and slow... It's not the most powerful, even thought it's certainly the most costly...

Now, I like a lot of you guys here, and I can separate the image of the arrogant US tourist and whatnot from you, and see the person... But trust me, it irks me to get that kind of arrogance on this board... And since I'm about to get really annoyed, and say some stuff you really won't like, drop the issue, admit to the fact that the statement you made, while true or not, the way you made it, was in fact arrogant... And then we can both co-exist happily...
I actually took some time to learn Swedish just in case I travel there:
Old 10-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Squid

General Maximus is on a distinguished road
Wow, I thought this thread was going to be about gas prices. I teach 8th grade social studies and we are learning about early American business monsters like Rockefeller, Morgan, Carnegie, and others. We had a discussion today about gas prices as the relate to the world. Monopolies are always a favorite here, and I like to talk about current examples to keep them interested. I knew this thread was around, so I thought I would check in and get some prices on the ground from u guys. Convert them to gallons, teach some metric system, talk about gas mileage of cars and bikes. Pretty much a mini lesson on "Georgetown Illinois is not the center of the universe" moment. Instead I need to also teach them about world conflict. So get me your gas prices if you would. I will solve that world conflict lesson next week. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: $3 Gas...It must be Summer