Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Yet another carb thread. slide carb questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 11:35 AM
Superstock

RedStormJ is on a distinguished road
Yet another carb thread. slide carb questions

I have been looking and I could easily get a set of FCR flat slides but for 1000 usd...
For that price I could probably get injection to work.
While looking at carbs I remembered my racing 580 had 47mm carbs. Makuni corp stamped on the side.
Hands down the easiest fuel system I ever had my hands on. Now comes the question.

Can I buy a 41-48mm makuni and slap it on with some matching jets or is it crucial to use the FCR set up.
What carbs can go on this thing?
Any carb info you guys got having to do with slide type please post.

I know I have been babbeling about injection but hey a great carb will out do crappy injection any day. But great injection ... EXCT...
Old 10-30-2016, 12:59 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
I thought you were fitting an RC51 engine that already comes with FI - are you now want to fit carbs?
Old 10-30-2016, 04:20 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Red is all over the place.

He needs to figure out a plan and stick to it. After seeing his posts here and also in VTR1000.org, I'm not sure if he can. Hear me Red?
Old 10-30-2016, 06:33 PM
Superstock

sp2 engine would require a hyge frame mod. its real tempting to do just that as my engine is down. I think I will make a frame later for another bike. I may inject it but my persuit is good smooth hp and slide carbs would be great for that. xl1000 injection wasnt meabt for big cams or big hp as they are at 96 hp and I dont think anyone has tuned them much. Diy injection has been done but ive never seen a dyno chart. FCR carbs with cams and exehaust has put street machines over 136 hp.
I am always all over the place crux!!! especually if I dont have my beer!!!
anyways whenever I ask a japanese here about mods they say it wouldnt be a vtr.... I say it would be my vtr.
ANYONE KNOW about using non fcr slide carbs? not a carb guy so im un sure.
Old 10-30-2016, 09:18 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
I believe the differences between a Varado and a Firestorm are: cable acuated clutch, very mild cams, and a few other small electrical items.

I believe you should talk to Varastorm on vtr1000.org about the differences. He has a Varado and has been trying his best to make his engine mirror a Firestorm.

EDIT: Wait, Varastorm is carb'd.

You really should figure out what you want to do.

-Keep it stock and get it running for transportation for your job
-Get it running with the F.I.L. mod (tuning it right is unbelievable! Believe me and a few others)
-Tuning it with a stock air filter
-Fuel injection and Micro Squirt

There are a couple different options I overlooked, but FIND an option and stick with it.

I went through MANY differnet options for my bike. I picked one and stuck with it. If I didn't, my bike would never be finished.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:42 AM
Superstock

Valves are on the way buy since I live in japan. makuni carbs are plenteful. I just checked how the bike feels with the tank on and no tail and its un real hiw light it feels. so monocoque and lught battery are happening possibly as I build the engine.
Port job is for sure. I do know I hate playing with these carbs. dont like em. Ti pipe may happen as I found one cheap. carbon single can as well. I have a 1000rr rim with all the goodies. Going to look at putting it on the stock swinger with an ajuster mod tomorrow.
Has anyone tried non fcr carbs?
You finnished yet crux? I know its getting close.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:39 PM
Back Marker

Stephan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RedStormJ
sp2 engine would require a hyge frame mod. its real tempting to do just that as my engine is down. I think I will make a frame later for another bike. I may inject it but my persuit is good smooth hp and slide carbs would be great for that. xl1000 injection wasnt meabt for big cams or big hp as they are at 96 hp and I dont think anyone has tuned them much. Diy injection has been done but ive never seen a dyno chart. FCR carbs with cams and exehaust has put street machines over 136 hp.
I am always all over the place crux!!! especually if I dont have my beer!!!
anyways whenever I ask a japanese here about mods they say it wouldnt be a vtr.... I say it would be my vtr.
ANYONE KNOW about using non fcr slide carbs? not a carb guy so im un sure.

Best proven results I have seen is with good aftermarket slip-ons, KN filter, dynojet needles. With stock carbs and no other experiments. You will get something about 120 hp peak power (on crank) and strong midrange.

I must admit I´ve never seen evidence on FCR carbs, but I believe it is more common in Japan :-)

Last edited by Stephan; 10-31-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:29 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stephan
Best proven results I have seen is with good aftermarket slip-ons, KN filter, dynojet needles. With stock carbs and no other experiments. You will get something about 120 hp peak power (on crank) and strong midrange.

I must admit I´ve never seen evidence on FCR carbs, but I believe it is more common in Japan :-)
I've searched long and hard (and numerous times) looking for reliable info about performance gains from FCR carbs but have never found anything that is even close to reliable or objective. Of course, part of the problem is that these carb set-ups are extremely rare outside of Japan, and my Japanese is very poor (apart from knowing the names of select karate moves, it's nil).....

I would love to try a set of TPS-equipped FCRs (with airbox fittings) with my modded airbox/FIL set-up but I don't have the $2K kicking around to do so...

Last edited by mikstr; 10-31-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:25 AM
Superstock

If you have 1grand there is a set for sale now. If I had it id nab em. They are specifically set up for the vtr. I think the response would be better and the tuning would be easier. No big hp gains but delivery.
Go on yahoo auction japan. If anyone wants to buy them I can help. I can not afford em. ID try offering 500 but I have a big dead bike all over my garage at the moment.
Id be willing to bet makuni or even edelbrocks do the same at a lower cost.

No data eh. that is what I was looking for my friend an answer to the post. Well Ill post in this thread if I find any info.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:18 AM
Back Marker

Stephan is on a distinguished road
Go on yahoo auction japan. If anyone wants to buy them I can help. I can not afford em. ID try offering 500 but I have a big dead bike all over my garage at the moment.

I will remember that

Not sure in case of VTR, but what I know, general consensus is that flat slide carbs are nightmare to tune compared to CV.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:23 AM
Superstock

Really I read the opposite lol. Only one way to find out. If I send a hammer through a fenaring we know they are hard to tune lol.
I had slide carbs on all of my 2 strokes and some quads. I loved em. All makuni though. I dont like Kehin from what I have used. mostly on crappy engines. IMHO. But I guess Kehin makes FCR????????

Also id appreciate any opinions on my tail post in the other thread. Getting closer to being finished. Last person to see it said it looks droopy....
Old 11-01-2016, 09:29 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
If you have 1grand there is a set for sale now. If I had it id nab em. They are specifically set up for the vtr. I think the response would be better and the tuning would be easier. No big hp gains but delivery.
Id be willing to bet makuni or even edelbrocks do the same at a lower cost.

No data eh. that is what I was looking for my friend an answer to the post. Well Ill post in this thread if I find any info.
Those carbs have on there for quite some time now (I have been checking that site regularly for about 18 months now). New ones pop from time to time, but they are very $$$$$$$. As far as tuning is concerned, I have been told they are intricate to tune due to the many different adjustments, but that once they are tuned they are hard to beat. Other shortfall is the lack of a choke/enricher circuit; perhaps not an issue int eh warm climes of SoCal but up here in Canada, apparently a bit of a pain in the tush...... Check the ADVrider site for reports from those who have fit them to their KTM LC8 twins....
Old 11-01-2016, 10:25 AM
Superstock

I forgot where I read it but I think it was on the uk site it gets pretty cold in england. But if I remember correctly the person said it wasnt a problem as it had the accelerator pump.