Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Michelin Power Pure

Old 07-30-2010, 10:16 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
Removed Q2s, approx 4000 miles and the rear is wiped to the threads. The Q2 rear weighed 14.8lbs new, but now weighs only 11lbs. Lost 3.8lbs of rubber somewhere. haha. Now I got to mount that heavy Power Purre---a pound and a half more.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:35 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
Removed Q2s, approx 4000 miles and the rear is wiped to the threads. The Q2 rear weighed 14.8lbs new, but now weighs only 11lbs. Lost 3.8lbs of rubber somewhere. haha. Now I got to mount that heavy Power Purre---a pound and a half more.
poor you, if youre really that worried a 15 second burnout will bring that pure down to the same weight as the current bald tire

want me to show you how to do one?
Old 07-30-2010, 11:20 PM
MotoGP

yeah, as long as you burn your tire, that would be fine. You're about ready huh!
Old 07-31-2010, 07:12 AM
SuperBike

Haha. I plan on riding mine till its belty too. No need to waste good side tire rubber :-)
Old 07-31-2010, 08:06 AM
MotoGP

yeah, dig it. When you get close to the end(bald in the middle), things start happening quickly in terms of accelerated wear. If you keep riding on threads, there could be other expenses which might significantly outweigh the benefits of squeezing a few more miles out of a dead tire, so use discretion I know you will. hahaha
Old 07-31-2010, 04:38 PM
MotoGP

first ride on the power pures. Can i say that after 80 miles of some of my favorite back roads, these are unequivocally the best tires ever on my hawk or any other bike i've owned. These are a quantum step forward in terms of tire technology IMO. They are confidence inspiring in that they stay where you put them with no drama, they are smooth, quiet, comfortable and sticky. It takes only a few corners for you to learn that you can enter corners a higher speeds than with any of my previous tires, including Q2s, BTO16s. BTO14s, etc, and you don't feel like your pushing. Something like riding a much lighter bike where you don't need to brake as much, just roll off and enter the turn. Whether this is an absolute truth or merely a subjective observation, I can't say w/o some reseveration yet or possibly ever, however my gut feelings tell me these tires are something very special and it's definitely LOVE at first ride for me.

Mounting went smoothly, needed no balance. 70 degrees. 34 psi cold rear became 37 warm and 30 psi front became 33 warm.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:11 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
first ride on the power pures. Can i say that after 80 miles of some of my favorite back roads, these are unequivocally the best tires ever on my hawk or any other bike i've owned. These are a quantum step forward in terms of tire technology IMO. They are confidence inspiring in that they stay where you put them with no drama, they are smooth, quiet, comfortable and sticky. It takes only a few corners for you to learn that you can enter corners a higher speeds than with any of my previous tires, including Q2s, BTO16s. BTO14s, etc, and you don't feel like your pushing. Something like riding a much lighter bike where you don't need to brake as much, just roll off and enter the turn. Whether this is an absolute truth or merely a subjective observation, I can't say w/o some reseveration yet or possibly ever, however my gut feelings tell me these tires are something very special and it's definitely LOVE at first ride for me.
That's pretty much what I thought of my Q2's after the first ride. So much better than anything I'd ridden before, it's friggin amazing what they can do with rubber these days. Unfortunately I've never liked the profile of Michelins.

Oh and by the way, the RoadSmart has the same side cornering grip as the original Qualifiers, but with a true six thousand mile dual compound center. Take a look at em as a good set of street tires.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:59 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Just ordered some power pures today. Can't wait till they get here!!!
Old 07-31-2010, 10:58 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Does anyone have an opinion comparing these to regular Powers or 2CTs?
Old 08-01-2010, 05:55 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by NooB
That's pretty much what I thought of my Q2's after the first ride. So much better than anything I'd ridden before, it's friggin amazing what they can do with rubber these days. Unfortunately I've never liked the profile of Michelins.

Oh and by the way, the RoadSmart has the same side cornering grip as the original Qualifiers, but with a true six thousand mile dual compound center. Take a look at em as a good set of street tires.
I liked the Q2s no doubt, but a couple things baffled me a bit. First, the Q2 180 was the same dimensions and arc/profile as my previous BTO-16 190X50 which led me to believe that this was goin to be a new trend with all manufacturers. Both were approx 240mm across the arc of the tread. The Power Pure 180, however, is similar to all other 180s I've had, about 220mm across the tread. Secondly, why do I have 1/4" chicken strips on the 180x50 Q2 when i never had these on any 180 I've ever had? These were identical to the chicken strips on the 190x50 BTO-16 I just removed, so I didn't know what to think and that's why I started to measure usable tread.

I know if I were track riding there would likely be no chicken strips on the 240mm Q2s as i would do my best to erase them or go down trying, haha.This I know about myself cause I'm stupid!!! But I try to ride below what my ***** tell me on the street, and that is and has been to the ends of the traditional 180s, about 220mm of tread. Maybe I wouldn't know this if i didn't ride the same roads repetitively and often, because i believe that if you can't ride at least one road well, how can you ride others well that you are unfamiliar with?

Back to the feeling of riding the power pures. Let me describe it by likening it to riding my xr650l on the same roads as the hawk. Alternating these bikes on the same roads can get you in trouble because corner entry and turn in on the much lighter XR is significantly faster so I have an inclination to overcook the turn when I get back on the hawk. Whoa big bird!!! Anyway, riding the power pures gives a similar feeling of faster corner entry, of what I call "railing". I'm sure the lighter wheels have something to do with it too, but this is a new sensation that I never experienced on the hawk with any of my previous tires. This is only one ride of 80 miles, but bear with me because i'm having a hard time containing my enthusiasm for these tires. time will tell more.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:13 AM
SuperBike

this is a little off topic but let me pick your brains. a buddy o fmine has the 2ct tires on his bike, claimed he had the rear aired to 37 psi cold. hit a pothole, dented the front rim and the back, the front isnt visibly dented but apparantly out of round now, and the rear has a good half inch ding in it. ive hit potholes and ive never dented one. i didnt think with that much air pressure he would have been able to unless he mounted a curb or something.

nath those tires will be replaced soon enough. ill see how they do through august, maybe ill replace them before my birthday in september and use the pures to ride out the year

oh one thing my buddy told me, the pures on his daytona grip like crazy, they get hot real fast, but he did i think 5 track days and about 500 km of street riding and theyre too bald for the track days now. personally i think 5 track days is pretty damn good for a street tire but he doesnt seem to be impressed with how fast they wore.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:19 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Hit a big enough pothole and hard enough and yeah, you can dent the rim even with good pressure... I have blown out my front that way... I made it 200-300 m past the pothole, barely getting it under control after the hit and then the tire started unraveling, very interesting afternoon to say the least...
Old 08-01-2010, 06:25 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Does anyone have an opinion comparing these to regular Powers or 2CTs?
Same, same but different...

They have the same feeling of immense grip, and they have a very similar profile/feel... A lot better wet grip than the 2CT's... Actually good enough to scare the crap out of me... I didn't realize I was doing 80'ish on a twisty road in the downpour as the tires never "warned" me...

The downside though seems to be that once you reach the limit of the near limitless grip they give with only moments notice...

Nath actually described it pretty good, they give you confidence to go faster into the corners and keep the speed up...
Old 08-01-2010, 07:34 AM
SuperBike

I had road tires on a car of mine that were like that. Incredible wet and dry grip even in near freezing temps. But when they start to make noise they're just starting to let go.

How much are you American guys paying for the pures?
Old 08-01-2010, 11:33 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I don't know about you guys, but between the motor, the exhaust, the wind noise, and earplugs I don't think there's any way I'd ever hear noise from the tires warning me of impending total loss of traction. I go more by feel than anything else, on both bike and car, and even if I could hear it tire noise would mean nothing to me. Any tire that doesn't give a warning by feel is not a tire I would ever own.
Old 08-01-2010, 02:43 PM
MotoGP

I think you missinterpreted my comments a bit... Trust me... I can't hear the tires a bit either, and there is plenty of warning before they go...

The comment about going fast in the wet had nothing what so ever to do with loss of grip... I'm fairly sure I could have pushed harder, but with the older 2CT's I would have been in the ditch long ago at that road temp/water sheet... And when I realized how effortless I was cruising along at fairly high speed in a torrential downpour that scared the crap out of me...

In the dry they also give you plenty of warning by feel, but the thing is, you cant push it... Once you get warned, back off... They are NOT slicks...

The thing is on most road tires that are meant as track tires they will warn you fairly early and keep warning you until you go head first into the scenery... On slicks you have a fairly linear progression with two or three levels of warnings before you go sightseeing...

The 2CT's and the Pure's feel more like slicks in the way that they have immense grip and gives you massive confidence... But they give you the same type of warning like every street tyre I know... "Back of or I will toss you"

The thing is though, if you are pushing that hard on a road/track tire and fail to back off... Well, you should really be on a slick then...
Old 08-01-2010, 03:05 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by uchi

How much are you American guys paying for the pures?

I just paid $155 Rear and $120 front for my Power Pures, including shipping from motorcycle-superstore.com
Old 08-01-2010, 05:19 PM
MotoGP

uchi, I paid 259.00 with free shipping from Sportbike Track Gear. Less than a week to get here.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:09 PM
SuperBike

Sportbiketrqckgear wants too much to ship things to Canada. we like Pete superbike. I just wonder how much I can expect to pay as his prices are real good.

I was talking to a buddy and he said to look into the power 1s instead. any thoughts on those vs the pures ?
Old 08-01-2010, 07:32 PM
MotoGP

I don't understand why it costs so much to ship to ontario. What did they quote you to ship? I can check postage from here cause I know the size and weight of the package and see how it compares/

don't know about the power ones, but I imagine their awesome.
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/561/Mo...iew-Video.aspx
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/29...re-Review.aspx

Last edited by nath981; 08-01-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:55 PM
MotoGP

Power One's are pure track tire's... The next step is slicks... Get's ridiculous low miles, but sticks to the road like glue...
Old 08-02-2010, 06:14 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I don't understand why it costs so much to ship to ontario. What did they quote you to ship?
Many (in not most) US businesses charge outrageous shipping fees for sending stuff to Canada. While the rates charged by carriers for bringing stuff across the border are expensive, it seems many businesses are quite ready to gorge buyers outside the US. Speaking from personal experience, the cost of shipping is, for me, generally the single most significant factor in dertemining who I buy from when ordering stuff from out of country.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:07 AM
MotoGP

if i had or was trying to build a business in the US or anywhere for that matter, I sure as hell wouldn't want discourage potential customers by gouging them for shipping. Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:14 AM
MotoGP

if i had or was trying to build a business in the US or anywhere for that matter, I sure as hell wouldn't want discourage potential customers by gouging them for shipping. Doesn't make sense to me.
totally agree. It seems to me that in light of the state of the economy, particularly in the US (while Canada was not totally spared the downturn, we have fared better so far), they should make every effort to get business wherever they can, not discourage buyers with such lame attempts at opportunism. I guess if they fail they will larlgely have themselves to blame for sticking to out of date (and immoral IMO) business practices.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:49 AM
MotoGP

well i called a local shipper and requested a price to ship a 25lbs box 2x2x1 to toronto and they wouldn't quote me over the phone. Gave me a bunch of BS instead. Does that tell you anything? My questions are: is there any US based shipping company that charges reasonable rates to Canada? What shipping companies have shipped to you reasonably? If you have received items for a fair rate, then can you request the US vendor to use that shipping company/method?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:58 AM
MotoGP

I use USPS exclusively as UPS and other such carriers charge outrageous brokerage fees (at times exceeding the cost of the good itself).
Old 08-02-2010, 09:14 AM
SuperBike

Sport bike isn't getting a penny from me. it cost me 50 bucks to ship my jacket from them. where as my pants for that jacket from the us were 20. they also have a shitty checkout system. I paid and assumed o was done. 3 weeks later I call and they tell me I owe them more for shipping. every. other us vendor includes that at checkout. or Atleast gets a hold of you.

It's true we get gauged for shipping and then UPS and FedEx bend us over some more. unfortunately I can't get everything I want in Canada and sometimes even after the bs its cheaper
Old 08-02-2010, 09:39 AM
MotoGP

uchi, you live right across the border. Get a friend in buffalo to receive your stuff for you and just go over and drink some beer and pick it up.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:42 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikstr
I use USPS exclusively as UPS and other such carriers charge outrageous brokerage fees (at times exceeding the cost of the good itself).
Can't you make USPS shipping a pre-condition for purchasing their product? Or you may do that already and they tell you to stuff it?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:15 AM
SuperBike

Lots of places don't give you that shipping option. A few of them use UPS it FedEx for convenience so try won't use usps. Probably because the first two will come pick up items from them

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michelin Power Pure