Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Michelin Power Pure

Old 02-27-2010, 07:15 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Michelin Power Pure

Has anyone else seen these yet?

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...e--653568.html

Supposedly, 2lbs lighter than the average sport tire. The claim is that 2lbs less tire is the equivalent of 6lbs less rim weight. Dunno.

$115 for the front
$145 for the rear
Not bad for price.

The guy at the local Honda shop showed me the tires in the book. The rear is now a 2 compound in the center and 1 on the sides, whereas the 2ct was 3 in the middle and 2 on the sides. The front is not 3 and 2.

The profile for the softer rubber on the sides is not greater too, so that you're into the stickier rubber sooner.

I don't think I need them, and not for the extra $80 right now.

Thought I'd bring it up and let ya'll know.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Squid

bink is on a distinguished road
these are a great tire.....better handling that the power, and about the same mileage
Old 02-28-2010, 06:19 PM
SuperBike

dang, if there wasn't an $80 price difference, I might have gone with these, couldn't pass on the 2ct on sale.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:17 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
the Mich pure's will be my next tire when my rear Q2 wears sufficiently to suffer its goodbye burnout! I'm psyched since I'm a great fan of the benefits of unsprung weight reduction.

Last edited by nath981; 07-01-2010 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:06 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
We just started to run pure's on our racebikes and track day bikes.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:23 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Pimpsterbim1
We just started to run pure's on our racebikes and track day bikes.
cool. then we can expect some excellent feedback in a short then. Let us know when you can. thanx
Old 03-01-2010, 03:05 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
cool. then we can expect some excellent feedback in a short then. Let us know when you can. thanx
Will do. I think the first scheduled track day is April 17th at Grattan in Michigan. We'll have a one or two guys running Pure 2ct's and the rest of us will be running Power 2ct's.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:58 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Pimpsterbim1
Will do. I think the first scheduled track day is April 17th at Grattan in Michigan. We'll have a one or two guys running Pure 2ct's and the rest of us will be running Power 2ct's.
feedback please. my Q2s are shortlived. PM sent.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:03 AM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
I have them on my bike now, but only about 20 miles put on them so far. I'm doing a track day in one week, so I'll post my comments.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:15 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by evines
I have them on my bike now, but only about 20 miles put on them so far. I'm doing a track day in one week, so I'll post my comments.
apersheate it!
Old 07-01-2010, 06:21 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I like them!

Well, the thing is it's not entirely the tire, but it's a big part of it... I think I finally have dialed in my bike to where I want it chassie wise...

Case in point, a couple of days ago I was on my way home at around 10 in the evening, not much traffic... Winding but fairly sweeping single lane road with a mix of 40-60-80 speed limits (~25-37-50 Mhp) and I was moving a bit faster, doing around 100-120 (~60-75) on the bits between small villages and mostly the limit passing through the houses... And it starts raining... At first just a little... So I keep my pace... And then after a while I come up on a car going slow, pass it without slowing down... And then another... A short town section, I notice it's raining more now... And then I get the speed up out of that town again... And I find myself contemplating making a pass on a right turn, putting me outside in the turn at a 130 (~80) in pouring rain... I looked at the speedo and realized it might be a bad idea... So I dialed it down a notch and started thinking... And the thing is, with the bike setup the way it is, and with new (scrubbed in) tires and a nice HID to light my way, I felt perfectly fine doing that speed, in pouring rain, pitch dark... I wasn't even pushing it...

Now either I'm completely off my rocker, or (and?) I think I got my setup right, and good tires...
Old 07-01-2010, 07:48 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
Now either I'm completely off my rocker, or (and?) I think I got my setup right, and good tires...
The first option, we know you're off your Rocker.

Second option is probably true also.

You know someone had to say it!
Old 07-01-2010, 07:52 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Erik S.
The first option, we know you're off your Rocker.

Second option is probably true also.

You know someone had to say it!
You might notice that there was an and in there...

Fact is, my own reaction when I glanced at the speedo was... Oh crap! WTF am I doing?... But the thing is, it felt stable...

In fact this morning I did that same trip in bright summer weather instead... And I might have gone a bit faster... perhaps...
Old 07-01-2010, 08:15 AM
MotoGP

off your rocker or maybe a couple beers in ya.lol. Either way you're happy huh. Riding in the rain is fun but requires ginger inputs. Rode much much faster in the rain on my old Norton than anything else since. Had bigger *****, smaller brain, and more confidence on skinny *** pirellis than any tires/bikes since. OEM headlight sucks and can't even use highbeams at night. Can't see well enough to judge the speed and arc of the curve so I have to keep adjusting(sloppy riding and scary **** too-like "where the fugawee").

Looking forward to the lightness and wet grip, although the Q2s are good in the rain, but at 14.8 lbs rear, a bit heavier than I want. I'm still tearing up the rear faster than the front despite aggressive trailbraking which is now second nature. I guess engine braking and 15/44 sprocs prevent getting good mileage on the middle of the rear tire even though i stay on curvy roads as much as possible. Maybe i need a touring tire with soft sides, but the sport tires all seem to have medium rubber in the middle instead of hard. 4000 miles and I'm preparing for my goodbye-burn out.

thanks for the get back and i think i won't be able to resist the allure of the light tire regardless of the too-soft middle.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:31 AM
SuperBike

You might notice that there was an and in there...

Fact is, my own reaction when I glanced at the speedo was... Oh crap! WTF am I doing?... But the thing is, it felt stable...

In fact this morning I did that same trip in bright summer weather instead... And I might have gone a bit faster... perhaps...

Tweety, I saw the "and". That's why I used "probably". We can't confirm that your setup had anything to do with it, however, we do "know" that you're off your rocker, like the rest of us.

My reaction probably would have been the same as yours... Oh crap!
Old 07-02-2010, 07:49 AM
MotoGP

or(and?)...................your speedo is optimistic. lol

What pressures are you running in your Power Pures?
Old 07-02-2010, 01:16 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
thats my next tire choice. ive got bt016's now and they hold well but they wear like ****, they have about 1000 - 1300 km on them and the front has a flat patch down the middle of it and the rear is the same. seems to have worn more than id expect it to and i dont think theyll make 3000 km at this pace. and now the front is feeling really unstable in corners so im playing with air pressures again.

whats the wear like on the pure? ive got a couple other buddys that are gettng ready to jump into a set of them aswell
Old 07-02-2010, 03:02 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by nath981
or(and?)...................your speedo is optimistic. lol

What pressures are you running in your Power Pures?
It's actually between 1% and 2% optimistic above 100 mph and should be spot on under that... According to both the dyno and the GPS... So no, I'm probably nuts...

F35/R41... On the road, one down from Michelins recommended... BTW... These should be run at high pressure, less ply = more heat & more flex... Gives you lower weight and faster warm up... But run the pressure to low and you melt them...

For track the general recommendation from Michelin is F33/R30
Old 07-02-2010, 03:05 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by uchi
thats my next tire choice. ive got bt016's now and they hold well but they wear like ****, they have about 1000 - 1300 km on them and the front has a flat patch down the middle of it and the rear is the same. seems to have worn more than id expect it to and i dont think theyll make 3000 km at this pace. and now the front is feeling really unstable in corners so im playing with air pressures again.

whats the wear like on the pure? ive got a couple other buddys that are gettng ready to jump into a set of them aswell
I'll let you know in a while on the wear... They are scrubbed in good now...
Old 07-02-2010, 03:20 PM
MotoGP

+1 uchi..........yeah. these new tires seem to stick well enough, and they're dual compound, unfortunately not the right compound in the center. They are soft on the sides which suits me fine, however the centers are medium compound whereas they need to be hard compound in order to match wear on the sides. I had bto16 on prior to the present Q2s and with a little over a thousand miles, the center was wearing. I think the michelin power pures are medium compound also, so that ain't good.

I think to get a decent matched wear in terms of sides and middle, probably gonna have to go to pilot roads or similar with hard center compound. Rear tires on the superhawk are esp vulnerable due to heavy engine braking and torque. We need hard centers/soft sides on the rear to get better mileage out of these skins.

Last edited by nath981; 07-02-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:32 PM
MotoGP

It's actually between 1% and 2% optimistic above 100 mph and should be spot on under that... According to both the dyno and the GPS... So no, I'm probably nuts...

F35/R41... On the road, one down from Michelins recommended... BTW... These should be run at high pressure, less ply = more heat & more flex... Gives you lower weight and faster warm up... But run the pressure to low and you melt them...

For track the general recommendation from Michelin is F33/R30
yeah, i can dig what you're saying about less ply more pressure. makes sense. I thing I'm gonna start running more rear pressure in the rear Q2 just because of all the engine braking and torque. When I push down on it pre-ride, it seems a little too squishy at 28psi.
thanks tweety
Old 07-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Superstock

evines is on a distinguished road
I just got back from about 1000 miles in 3 days, 200 of those at VIR for the CLASS track school. I was on Power Pures, and I really liked them. It was super hot (100+ degrees at the track) so I really couldn't get a fair assessment of warm-up time, but they are sticky as hell and still have a lot of tread left. I was running 30psi in both front and rear. I didn't think to weigh them before mounting, but the bike seems to turn in much better than with my old Pilots. The few times I accidentally got the rear sliding out, it was very smooth and predictable. The tires seemed to make an slightly audible "whine" or "whirr" in some corners that I haven't noticed before on other tires, so not sure what that was about, but they were still very planted.

I did notice that they follow in rain grooves on concrete more than my old tires, maybe because of the circumferential tread pattern near the center of the tires. That was annoying for about 30 miles today.

Overall though, I'd highly recommend them to anyone looking for a slightly stickier tire than the 2CT.

Last edited by evines; 07-09-2010 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Just realized that I do have one complaint. See above.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:47 PM
MotoGP

thanks for thr report Evines. I assume you're running a 180x55 pure. Can you measure the tread across from one edge to the other folloing the arc of the tread? Are they the same profile or arc or shape as the 2CT you had on previously? The reason I'm asking is that the BTO-16 190x50 and 180x55 Q2 are basically the same, but both are different in mm across the arc and in the shape of the arc from the 180x55 bto-14 and the 180x55 2ct. thanks, nathan
Old 07-15-2010, 02:36 PM
MotoGP

tweety, evine or other running Power pure rear 180x55 or 190x50 please measure across the tread from edge to edge following the arc of the tread(mounted on rim)and give me a mm measurement.
1)180x55 BTO-14 is approx. 220mm
2)present Q2 180x55 is approx 240mm
3)and previous 190x50 BTO16 was about 240mm also.

I'm wondering if the Pure rear follows the wider, rounder or higher arc of the Q2 or the traditional BTO-14 flatter arc shape. All above dimensions on 5.50 rim.

thanks, Nathan
Old 07-19-2010, 06:18 AM
MotoGP

no need to measure, just ordered a set of Pures from Sportike Track Gear for $260 delivered. 180x55 rear. I'll weigh and measure and report. You guys are worthless.hahaha
Old 07-19-2010, 06:38 AM
SuperBike

my buddy finally put some miles on his and he likes them. hes been riding the crap out of them and they seem like they stick quite well. the only downside to them is when youre behind him they pick up every little piece of everything in the road and throw it at you, lol. his pirellis that came on his daytona were the same way though.
Old 07-19-2010, 09:16 PM
MotoGP

Sounds like you need to ride faster.Hahaha Just kiddin. thanks uchi. When I run out of rubber on the Q2, I'll be mounting up the pures.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:40 AM
SuperBike

lol thats the problem, i ride fast enough to stay glued to him and hes been through 2 stages of race school and has run a bunch of lapping days this year, and i dont like leading so its a no win situation, lol.

ill be running the pures aswell when my bt016s are done, which should be in the next month or two by the way theyre wearing.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:33 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by uchi
and i dont like leading so its a no win situation
rot roh! you're gonna be in a world of **** when you're better half finds this out. hahahaha

I found out last evening that worn Q2s and rain aren't a good mix. Luckily no road rash, but quite a bit of unpredictable movement on the rear. First time I got to try them in the rain. Anyway, if your BTO-16 is wearing like my Q2, you better order your Pures a little early because my center disappeared rather quickly, meaning de deedn't put no extra rubber in de meedle senor.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:14 AM
MotoGP

just got the power pures and they smell really really fast.haha

measured them road/tire surface,followed arc of tread,edge to edge.
compare:

1)180x55 BTO-14 = 220mm
2)180x55 Q2 = 240mm
3)190x50 BTO16 = 240mm
4)180x55 Power Pure= 220mm

weighed on bathroom scale: Power Pure 180x55=12.5lbs
(manufacturers stated weight:Q2 180x55=14.8lbs)

so it looks like Q2 is an anomoly in terms of 180x55

report on how they handle and wear later:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Michelin Power Pure