Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Preparing for GSXR Fork swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:55 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Preparing for GSXR Fork swap

So I am preparing for a fork swap..

I have been doing my research my thanks ahead of time to superhawk22 and JamieDaugherty for their input on this thread: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=16828

So what I have decided on, and have on it's way to me is:

I plan to keep the VTR front wheel.
What I have on it's way is: 2003 GSXR-1000 forks, axle, calipers, and master cylinder.
929 triple trees (upper already shipped: hope to win or find lower on ebay soon)

What I still need to get (if I understand correctly) is:
Stainless Brake lines
CBR1100XX rotors
new AllBalls bearings for both wheel and triple trees (the wheel bearings need to fit the GSXR axle)
some kind of custom spacer for between the wheel bearings.
Clipons, I plan to use a set from: http://www.swattmotorcycle.com/Clip-Ons.html
edit: GSXR?? Fender

What I need to do is:
Mod the steering stops on the lower triple to clear the fairing stays, and consider drilling and taping them to add adjustable stop "screws"
mod the VTR wheel to accept the spacer between the new bearings

My questions are:
Which clipons do I get? 50mm right? But how much rise? If I get the largest rise, can I just attach them lower on the forks if that ends being up too much?
What SS brake lines do I order GSXR? VTR?, and with how much extra length?
Do I have to move the radiators back? Is that worth the effort?

And, what else am I forgetting?

Thanks to all who reply and I will try to remember to take pics this time.

Edit, Also thanks to Dan Cronin for this useful chart https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=17615

Last edited by lazn; 04-02-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:09 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
My 2 cents from my experience with an rc51 front end is that if you have the money (they're not exactly cheap) consider a set of adjustable bars like convertibars. You may also find them used on ebay and save a bunch of $. I believe gilles makes them also. You can adjust them to fit just how you want because there's not a ton of clearance if you plan on keeping your fairing and trying set after set of fixed bars may prove frustrating, and also expensive. Moving the radiators back is pretty easy-you just cut a few tabs, drill 2 holes in each far enough to space the rads back a little, and get some extra bolts. It's really not too bad. Sorry I used to have pics of mine but I know others have posted and I'm sure you can still find them on here.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:19 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
50mm clipons... and get the longest (highest) you can, as lowering them on the fork is a simple solution to getting them where you want. Ducati SS heli and (Suzuki TL-R???) are assumed to be the highest/longest. I have the Ducati helis... and they work real well, got them off Ebay for 100.... but you'll need to wait to find a pair.

Rads back will give you more turning ability (ie. turning in a parking lot or manuvering in a tight space at very slow speed).... if you don't mind this being reduced, then no need to move the rads... if you want that extra little turn stop to stop to get in and out of parking spaces, move them back a bit, and rotate the crossover hose up and to the back... this will give you a few mm more clearence as well.

J.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:42 AM
MotoGP

Well this will be an adventure I want to have everything ready and lined up so that I can do it all at once and not have the bike unrideable for any long length of time.

So how far back did you move the rads? Aluminum strapping is easy to find and work with.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:17 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by lazn
Well this will be an adventure I want to have everything ready and lined up so that I can do it all at once and not have the bike unrideable for any long length of time.

So how far back did you move the rads? Aluminum strapping is easy to find and work with.
You'd be the first to get this done without downtime!!!! Good Luck... basically you're always missing something, spacers, washers, etc... but if you get the main parts you should be reasonably OK.

As far as the rads... I went back about .5" and lowered them a touch. I pushed them as far back as I could... basically the top crossover hose will stop you at some point. Buy a bunch of the strapping... and make a few brackets to get them where you like, then make one final piece.

ALSO.... don't count on the rad brackets being identical from right to left... I found that the tabs on my rads were at a different spacing.. so after I made one fit the right side, then spending time making a nice pretty mirrored copy for the left... i was plesantly suprised when it didn't fit!!! So check both sides before making any final parts!!!

Like I said... this mod will bite you at every step... but take your time, and you'll be happy in the end.

J.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by SlowHAWK
You'd be the first to get this done without downtime!!!! Good Luck... basically you're always missing something, spacers, washers, etc... but if you get the main parts you should be reasonably OK.

As far as the rads... I went back about .5" and lowered them a touch. I pushed them as far back as I could... basically the top crossover hose will stop you at some point. Buy a bunch of the strapping... and make a few brackets to get them where you like, then make one final piece.

ALSO.... don't count on the rad brackets being identical from right to left... I found that the tabs on my rads were at a different spacing.. so after I made one fit the right side, then spending time making a nice pretty mirrored copy for the left... i was plesantly suprised when it didn't fit!!! So check both sides before making any final parts!!!

Like I said... this mod will bite you at every step... but take your time, and you'll be happy in the end.

J.
Nah... I got it done over a weekend... I wouldn't consider that to much downtime... But I spent half an eternity getting all the parts...

I found it a lot easier to just put the rads where I wanted them and trim the rear hose a tad... requires you to drain them... but oh well...
Old 02-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Lazn, this will transform you SH! If you can just go ahead and bite the bullet and get a Gixer front wheel, rotors & fender cuz it'll be a lot less headache in the end and you'll thank me for the added performance
RC
Old 02-11-2009, 12:43 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
Lazn, this will transform you SH! If you can just go ahead and bite the bullet and get a Gixer front wheel, rotors & fender cuz it'll be a lot less headache in the end and you'll thank me for the added performance
RC
How will the GSXR wheel make a difference? Is it noticeably lighter? Because with CBR1100xx rotors, the VTR wheel will fit the GSXR forks and brake calipers just fine.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

How will the GSXR wheel make a difference? Is it noticeably lighter? Because with CBR1100xx rotors, the VTR wheel will fit the GSXR forks and brake calipers just fine.
I haven't done the research but I think you'll find the Gixer wheel to be lighter and the rotors bigger than xx rotors and you wont have to worry with barrings & spacers...
Old 02-11-2009, 12:56 PM
MotoGP

I haven't done the research but I think you'll find the Gixer wheel to be lighter and the rotors bigger than xx rotors and you wont have to worry with barrings & spacers...
True I won't have to worry about bearings and spacers, but the reason for getting the xx rotors is that they are the same size as the GSXR ones, and fit the VTR wheel.

I wanted the bike to look stock, and if I have different wheels front to back, it won't But that would make the job a lot easier.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

True I won't have to worry about bearings and spacers, but the reason for getting the xx rotors is that they are the same size as the GSXR ones, and fit the VTR wheel.

I wanted the bike to look stock, and if I have different wheels front to back, it won't But that would make the job a lot easier.
Yep, I like the ole KISS principle, but with those xx rotors already at ~320 mm you should have the same stopping power as the gixer wheel would provide, but you'll probably still need the gixer front fender...try here:
http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/gsxr/
Old 02-11-2009, 01:56 PM
MotoGP

Hmm, I just did a whole bunch more research.. and it turns out that in 2003 the rotors on the GSXR went down to 300mm!! so now what?

stock VTR are 296 I believe.. and that is 2mm small, (well 4 on the total diameter, but only 2 on the caliper).. It almost seems like I would be best off keeping my stock rotors!

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GSX-R1000
http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...000/index.html
Old 02-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Hmm, I just did a whole bunch more research.. and it turns out that in 2003 the rotors on the GSXR went down to 300mm!! so now what?
KISS! Go with the gixer rotors, fender and wheel you should be able to get them used off of Speedzilla...if you want a matching wheel try a 900rr rear which bolts right up...RC
Old 02-11-2009, 02:41 PM
MotoGP

KISS! Go with the gixer rotors, fender and wheel you should be able to get them used off of Speedzilla...if you want a matching wheel try a 900rr rear which bolts right up...RC
Actually the VTR wheel is closer to the GSXR one than the 900rr as the GSXR one is 3 spoke..

And it seems like I can use the wheels from a 2001-present GSXR of any size, but the 300mm rotors were only used on 2003-2004 GSXR 1000s or on 2004-2005 GSXR 600 and 750's.

So if I can find a wheel and rotor combo from a 2003 GSXR 1000 or from a 2004 GSXR of any size or from a 2005 GSXR 600 or 750 I would be set.

Otherwise I will have to buy the rotors separately.

Confused yet? lol I guess I will have to start watching ebay closely, or post on speedzilla to see what I can find. (and call local salvage yards)
Old 02-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Actually the VTR wheel is closer to the GSXR one than the 900rr as the GSXR one is 3 spoke..

And it seems like I can use the wheels from a 2001-present GSXR of any size, but the 300mm rotors were only used on 2003-2004 GSXR 1000s or on 2004-2005 GSXR 600 and 750's.

So if I can find a wheel and rotor combo from a 2003 GSXR 1000 or from a 2004 GSXR of any size or from a 2005 GSXR 600 or 750 I would be set.

Otherwise I will have to buy the rotors separately.

Confused yet? lol I guess I will have to start watching ebay closely, or post on speedzilla to see what I can find. (and call local salvage yards)
Yep, I noticed the 3-spokes too in your link...no wiorries Mate you'll find them jus register on Speedzilla and post up a WTB thread
RC
Old 02-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Sounds like an interesting project,please post pics!! As for what brake lines to get,if you call HEL at 1-877-416-0969 and talk to their tech guy,they will custom make you a set of SS brake lines,any color,front and rear for $147. Great people to work with and well worth the money in my opinion.Good luck!
Old 02-12-2009, 04:52 AM
Squid

crash06 is on a distinguished road
I just got some Hel brake lines for my R1 from a company called CMS out of the UK and for the front and rear lines and all hardware it cost me 100 bucks. They have free international shipping and from ordering to my door was 6 days. Also they are an authorised Hel manufacturer so they can make anything you need. The guy's name there is John Arthur, great guy always gets back to you quickly and definitly a great deal.

http://www.cms-motorcycle-parts.com/index.asp
Old 02-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
As ebay seems to have an abundance of 2005 and newer GSXR-1000 forks with triples, any thoughts on using these instead of the older stuff?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:15 PM
MotoGP

As long as the triples are reasonably the same width I see no reason why it shouldn't work... If they are a drop in on the steering stem or not is anybody's guess though...

Probably easier to use 929/954 triples and fiddle with spacers and such... But if the price is right... Go ahead and try...

I'd recommend starting by finding a GSXR forum and getting some numbers on the dimensions of the parts...
Old 02-13-2009, 04:08 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
What I need to do is:
Mod the steering stops on the lower triple to clear the fairing stays, and consider drilling and taping them to add adjustable stop "screws"

I didn't have to do this. The 929/954 triples should be just fine as-is.

My questions are:
Which clipons do I get? 50mm right? But how much rise? If I get the largest rise, can I just attach them lower on the forks if that ends being up too much?
What SS brake lines do I order GSXR? VTR?, and with how much extra length?
Do I have to move the radiators back? Is that worth the effort?

And, what else am I forgetting?

Thanks to all who reply and I will try to remember to take pics this time.

I'm using GSXR600 clip-ons attached above the triples. I slid the forks to duplicate the geometry I was running with my stock forks and it exposed just enough to attach the clip-ons. They are still a tad bit lower than stock so I had some issues with my throttle cable routing to keep it from rubbing the fairing.

I'm using the VTR brake lines. Your point-to-point distances are the same so there is no need to change.

I didn't have to move anything else on the bike. The edge of of the lower triple just touched the inner fairing panel, but a couple of turns shaved off enough that it doesn't rub anymore.

I'm slammed with work in the shop (it's the busiest time of the year for stuff like that) but if I get some time this weekend I'll take photos of my setup and post them for you to check out.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:44 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty

I'm using GSXR600 clip-ons attached above the triples. I slid the forks to duplicate the geometry I was running with my stock forks and it exposed just enough to attach the clip-ons. They are still a tad bit lower than stock so I had some issues with my throttle cable routing to keep it from rubbing the fairing.

I'm using the VTR brake lines. Your point-to-point distances are the same so there is no need to change.

I didn't have to move anything else on the bike. The edge of of the lower triple just touched the inner fairing panel, but a couple of turns shaved off enough that it doesn't rub anymore.

I'm slammed with work in the shop (it's the busiest time of the year for stuff like that) but if I get some time this weekend I'll take photos of my setup and post them for you to check out.
Quite true... You could just bolt things up with the 929/954 triples and it should work OK... But... Then you wont have full lock-to-lock...

If you want the steering to be similar to stock in the parking lot (only place it's a factor) you need to trim the lower triple to clear the fairing stay (10 min with a file & grinder)...

And when you do this, you start hitting things at full lock... So then you need to move the rads back (mounting tabs, trimming rear hose, rotating upper cross hose)

I did all this... And now I realise I could prrobably have gotten away with a compromise... I don't need full lock...

Rotate the upper hose to have the u shape pointing backwards... Grind the lower triple and tap in screws to have it juuust bump the hose on full lock... That should be plenty... not quite stock but considerably more than Jamie's and less than mine...

If you then after a few miles feel the need to move the rads all you do is take out the stop screws... And moving the rads doesn't mean you have to disasemble the whole front again... just the fairing...
Old 02-13-2009, 04:49 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
Quite true... You could just bolt things up with the 929/954 triples and it should work OK... But... Then you wont have full lock-to-lock...

If you want the steering to be similar to stock in the parking lot (only place it's a factor) you need to trim the lower triple to clear the fairing stay (10 min with a file & grinder)...

And when you do this, you start hitting things at full lock... So then you need to move the rads back (mounting tabs, trimming rear hose, rotating upper cross hose)

I did all this... And now I realise I could prrobably have gotten away with a compromise... I don't need full lock...

Rotate the upper hose to have the u shape pointing backwards... Grind the lower triple and tap in screws to have it juuust bump the hose on full lock... That should be plenty... not quite stock but considerably more than Jamie's and less than mine...

If you then after a few miles feel the need to move the rads all you do is take out the stop screws... And moving the rads doesn't mean you have to disasemble the whole front again... just the fairing...

My steering lock-to-lock is slightly less than stock but not by very much. I don't notice it at all in parking lots or anything. My lower triple just touches the radiator hose (stock location) but it's not an issue for me. Personally, I've not had any problem with this setup like it is. Of course, your results may vary.....
Old 02-13-2009, 08:18 AM
MotoGP

That'd be awesome!

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2009, 08:21 AM
MotoGP

On a side note, I didn't win the 929 lower triple It was at $10 on ebay just less than an hour before it ended, and I figured my esnipe for $75 max would get it.. Nope, someone else sniped it for $91.. All in the last 6 seconds of bidding. Oh well, I am now looking at a 954 lower on ebay. And I will call a few local salvage yards (probably should have done that first)
Old 02-14-2009, 09:15 AM
MotoGP

Ok, so I purchased a 954 lower triple from a local scrapyard, a bit more $$ but I got it right away!

Also some of my ebay parts arrived, so here is what I have so far:

Name:  DSCN2733.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  119.4 KB

Name:  DSCN2733.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  119.4 KB

The brakes are still wrapped in their plastic because the brake fluid leaked so I wanted to unwrap them outside rather than inside last night.

I have a 929 top triple on the way. (I actually won this first, and it is SLOW to arrive, grr)

As for the forks, they were sold as 2003 GSXR 1000 forks, but the grease pen writing on them say 2003 GSXR 600.. So I am wondering how to identify them positively. They only writing on them are: "XB751-L-2" one one and "XB751-R" on the other.

I don't think they are 03 GSXR 600 forks as I can't find any pictures of a 03 GSXR 600 with gold and black forks, or with radial calipers as that seems to be a 04 upgrade for the 600.

Anyway I am slowly gathering everything.
Attached Thumbnails Preparing for GSXR Fork swap-dscn2733.jpg  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN2733.jpg (119.4 KB, 117 views)
Old 02-14-2009, 10:33 AM
SuperBike

Hummm... radial brakes huh? I'm not sure how those are going to line up. The 01 GSXR750/600 forks are pretty much the exact same thing found on the CBR929 and 954 so that means the dimensions of the caliper positions follow Honda's standard design practices. I don't know if that's the case with those forks. You'll have to check that out and let us know what you find.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:02 AM
MotoGP

Hummm... radial brakes huh? I'm not sure how those are going to line up. The 01 GSXR750/600 forks are pretty much the exact same thing found on the CBR929 and 954 so that means the dimensions of the caliper positions follow Honda's standard design practices. I don't know if that's the case with those forks. You'll have to check that out and let us know what you find.
Well superhawk22 said in the other thread that he upgraded to radial brakes by just going to the newer forks after doing the GSXR swap with the earlier ones..

edit:

Originally Posted by superhawk22
I like the gsxr forks personally and if you want radial mount brakes just use a newer year. I just put 06 gsxr1000 forks with a modified rc51 wheel(different bearings and colar), and the only thing I had to do was put a spacer in on the caliper because the rotors were 10mm too large but it's easier to use whatever came with it. I just like the 900rr and rc look and I like the fact that the spacers are built in to the axle makes it so much easier to put the front wheel on.

Last edited by lazn; 02-14-2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:47 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Radial brakes on the Superhawk rock! My 1000RR setup even with the stock master cylinder is perfect.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:13 PM
SuperBike

That'd be awesome!

Thanks!

Ok, I took a little break from working today to snap a few pictures of my bike. As you can tell, I didn't spend any time cleaning it up!

Here's an overall shot:

These next two shots are of the spacers. I made them with the OD large enough so that they just fit inside the wheel where the seal used to be. Obviously, I don't have the seal there anymore. What I'd like to do eventually is add an o-ring to these spacers, but the bearings that I used are double sealed anyway so I'm not too worried. The spacers keep out the big stuff. Another item to note is how far the axle is moved inside the right fork. I'm using a GSXR1000 (I think) axle which could be why it's like that. There is still tons of engagement with the clamp area.

Here are the right side controls. Note the position of the throttle cables. I had to rotate the housing or else the cables (the rigid steel 90° part) would contact the fairing. The brake line fittings also needed to be pointed more toward the rear of the bike instead of straight down in order for them to clear the instruments at full lock.

Here's a shot of the bars. I had to copy over the locations of the mounting holes for all of the VTR's parts to the GSXR bars. That was kind of a pain but luckily I didn't screw anything up. At least not that you can tell! Since the clip-ons are above the triple I machined off the locating pins (since they would have been sticking up in the air anyway). I have to make sure and get them tight because there isn't anything else keeping them located. I also have some marks on the upper triple that shows where I mount them so I can put them back in the same spot. Getting bars set just right is tough for me and once I get them where I want I don't like to change.

I hope I remembered everything.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:19 PM
MotoGP

Wow! thanks

It looks sweet that's for sure!

On an aside, does anyone know the dimensions of the stock Honda Axle? Or rather most critically is it a "20mm" axle? I found a place that thinks they can make a custom axle, and if so that would make this particular swap a cinch for anyone.

Quick Reply: Preparing for GSXR Fork swap