Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

List of Bolt-On Front Brake Mods

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Back Marker

supertwinSH is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't think so...I think they are radial mount. but don't quote me on that.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:24 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nnjhawk02
HELP Quickly

will an '07 600RR front brake calipers fit a '02 VTR?
Nope radial mount...
Old 12-07-2007, 09:39 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by supertwinSH
Don't think so...I think they are radial mount. but don't quote me on that.
U R correct
Old 12-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by nnjhawk02
HELP Quickly

will an '07 600RR front brake calipers fit a '02 VTR?
Aren't those radial mounted? which would mean no.........
Old 12-15-2007, 10:03 AM
ATGATT
Superstock

newb007 is on a distinguished road
Braided Brake lines with RC-51 Calipers

So I was looking at putting on some RC51 Calipers with braided brakes lines but not changing out the MC yet. Will the braided brake lines for the VTR work with the RC51 calipers? I figured they would but saw an auction on ebay for galfer lines with HH pads and it said specifically not for RC51. Is that just the pads or do the lines not fit VTR and RC51 the same?

I'm not going to buy the kit since i have fluid and the pads on the RC51 calipers are new. More concerned about the lines.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...sid=p1638.m118

Thanks
Old 12-15-2007, 10:21 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I've never had a problem swapping lines on any Honda sportbikes except the lenth of the lines, which can vary. The pads for the RC51 are bigger than the SH. You can get the HH pads for @ 28 clams per pair so this may not be a bargiain(chaparralmotorsports.com). I just got a full f4i set of calipers with MC and steel lines for $100 (slightly used but still). Just some more info for the pile......peaceout
Old 12-15-2007, 10:25 AM
ATGATT
Superstock

That helps a LOT! I'm going to be bidding on some RC51 calipers shortly and if I get them I'll start looking around for braided lines next.

Last edited by newb007; 12-15-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:35 PM
ATGATT
Superstock

Break upgrade

Well I found a set of CBR600RR brake calipers, MC, steel lines, Galfer HH pads for just under $100 including shipping on ebay. Put them on and had my first ride today with em. Very big improvement over stock and feel very strong. Thanks for all the info.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:30 AM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
I thought I would keep this question on this thread as it pertains to front brake mods. Does anyone know if SS brake lines from a 2003 600rr will fit 600F4i calipers and a 900rr MC? I have a chance to pick some up for a good price, but I wanted to make sure I can use them. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks

Rick
Old 01-11-2008, 07:48 AM
MotoGP

Well, the fittings is the same on almost all Hondas... The difference is mostly in the length of the line and if it's a 1-2 line or 2 all the way... also the angles at the ends and possibly mounting materials...

Basicly the best option all around is to buy for a VTR if you have a stock front end with upgraded calipers and M/C... but if you are getting used parts... It should work, but might need some creativity...
Old 01-11-2008, 08:41 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I just took my bike for a test ride after installing some F4i calipers..... WOW! What a difference... such great braking power with such little effort on the lever! Highly recommended!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:57 AM
MotoGP

*Waves fist in indierockers general direction*

Bah... I'm envious... Here it's snowing/raining and with patches of snow and ice... And I have now at the moment three ½ of a bike to combine... withdrawal is severe to say the least...
Old 01-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Superstock

redman is on a distinguished road
I almost always end up going to Storz, buying the fittings and making my own. That way you can route them however you want, put angled ends on and tuck them all away better than most stock SS replacements.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Superstock

http://www.storzperf.com/jpgs/page18.html
Old 01-11-2008, 06:59 PM
Superstock

alive226 is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the info guys.........I might check out that Storz.....

Inderocker......do you just have the F41 calipers and a stock MC or did you put on a different MC. I just bought a 900rr MC to go with my F4i calipers... Im hoping its a good combo.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:55 PM
MotoGP

Stock M/C with Galfer steel braided lines .... works wonderfully!
Old 02-07-2008, 03:35 AM
Squid

Kitch is on a distinguished road
OK, I'm looking into this just now.

I might well have some GSXR K1 six pots and can pick up a better MC (and lever if needed - most likely a 954/600rr one)

Can someone confirm for me what this means as far as brake lines go? I have steel lines on my standard VTR brakes currently, will I need new ones to fit either the GSXR caliper or MC or will the ones that are on it work fine?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:17 AM
MotoGP

they should work
Old 02-07-2008, 09:28 AM
Superstock

Quick note to all of you considering front brake upgrades......DO IT!
I was just saved by my massive rotors, RC51 calipers and 600RRmc. Idiot slowing rapidly and turning left across oncoming lane to access vista point on other side without brake lights or turn signals...as I went to pass him. Had to use all my new brakes....locked the front etc. Made it but stock brakes would've had me eating pavement.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Back Marker

VTRumble is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Kitch
OK, I'm looking into this just now.

I might well have some GSXR K1 six pots and can pick up a better MC (and lever if needed - most likely a 954/600rr one)

Can someone confirm for me what this means as far as brake lines go? I have steel lines on my standard VTR brakes currently, will I need new ones to fit either the GSXR caliper or MC or will the ones that are on it work fine?
The stock or replacement lines will bolt right on to the gsxr calipers.

Doug O.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:22 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Finally finished my front brake mods. 01 RC51 MC (19mm), already had SS lines, and F4i calipers (34/32mm). Hand milled the calipers to clear the lower mount and epoxy coated the cuts. Everything went together well though cleaning the wheel (with kerosene) and then the rotors with red scotchbrite pads (first with detergent and a bit of ammonia and then with 91% isopropal alcohol) took the longer. Lever feel seemed a lot better than the RC51 MC and OEM VTR calipers, as the F41 calipers properly match the 19mm MC. Trouble is I don't know when I can road test everything. It will be interesting between my new bar mod (about 1.25" higher and 1.5" rearward than Helibars), my reshaping of a custom 1.5" taller Sargent saddle (this is the 3rd time I've wacked at it over the years) and the fully moded front brakes. The new bars and saddle are designed to mate with 1.25" lower pilot pegs for a true sport touring stance.

Still waiting for the Superbrace from the group buy!

Last edited by skokievtr; 02-24-2008 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 08:41 AM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
I did the same upgrade early fall '07 but used the '01 RC51 calipers instead of the F4i and the slowing/stopping power for this combination on the SH is tremendous. I am pushing 290# with gear, not fat just a big guy, and the first ride was impressive.

Regarding the SB, you and Hotbrakes ordered the same black anodized brace and for some reason SB is having a hell of a time gettting these made. MFI spoke with SB about this matter and could not get a conclusive answer from SB. Hotbrakes cancelled his order. If you want to call MFI, here is there # 1-866-583-9600, anyone in Parts can assist you.

Good luck.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:24 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by reaper
I did the same upgrade early fall '07 but used the '01 RC51 calipers instead of the F4i and the slowing/stopping power for this combination on the SH is tremendous. I am pushing 290# with gear, not fat just a big guy, and the first ride was impressive.

Regarding the SB, you and Hotbrakes ordered the same black anodized brace and for some reason SB is having a hell of a time gettting these made. MFI spoke with SB about this matter and could not get a conclusive answer from SB. Hotbrakes cancelled his order. If you want to call MFI, here is there # 1-866-583-9600, anyone in Parts can assist you.

Good luck.
Thanks man but I've been in recent contact. I DID NOT order a Black one, just the regular old Clear finish. Chris promised me something and I'm waiting a bit more to see if he comes through...

The F4i are identical to the 01 RC except they are Black. Hopefully it will be a nice change and hide brake dust, or the old Goldies are going back on my fast 98. I try things progessively, first the 01 RC MC, which increased pull and decreased sensitivity so the jury is still out until I can FINALLY ride! And its only the end of February.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:18 PM
Back Marker

XLSR-VTR1 is on a distinguished road
woooo woooo my head is spinning. brake overload! Thanks for all the great info. Im in need of this mod and now just need to sift thru all the options. Id like to reuse my aftermarket levers and my ss lines. Any of these mc's fit this with a remote reservoir?
Old 03-03-2008, 07:00 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by XLSR-VTR1
woooo woooo my head is spinning. brake overload! Thanks for all the great info. Im in need of this mod and now just need to sift thru all the options. Id like to reuse my aftermarket levers and my ss lines. Any of these mc's fit this with a remote reservoir?
Certain levers fit certain MC, check the thread(s), its been covered. Most lines will fit but the angle of the dangle on the cal varies. Just remember not all cals are true bolt on, like the RC51 and F4i which need a bit of milling to clear the OE VTR lower cal mount bracket.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Back Marker

XLSR-VTR1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by skokievtr
Certain levers fit certain MC, check the thread(s), its been covered. Most lines will fit but the angle of the dangle on the cal varies. Just remember not all cals are true bolt on, like the RC51 and F4i which need a bit of milling to clear the OE VTR lower cal mount bracket.
Thanks. Anyone have pics of F4i or RC Caliper after being trimmed to fit? There are alot of options it looks like and may come down to availablitly. superbling pointed me to an F4i setup I may look into.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:09 PM
Squid

BenjaminVFR750 is on a distinguished road
Thanks guy for all the awesome advice XLSR-VRT1 I am in your shoes to much goodness to choose! I will be posting up some pics of my upcoming mod soon enough before my track day here in about two weeks. Hopefully all will go well!!

Hey XLSR My bro lives in ballard and rides a VFR you got alot of guys you ride with up there?
Old 03-04-2008, 06:58 PM
MotoGP

I don't have photo's of the trimmed area on the calipers, I do have mounted shots though. I included stock caliper photo's for size reference. The F4i's/RC51 Calipers are a lot more potent that they look!

Old 03-04-2008, 08:36 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by XLSR-VTR1
Thanks. Anyone have pics of F4i or RC Caliper after being trimmed to fit? There are alot of options it looks like and may come down to availablitly. superbling pointed me to an F4i setup I may look into.
Not my milled pics cuz I also forgot to shoot my black F4i calis but these gold RC51 are milled the same. 00 & 01 RC51 calis are the same as all the F4i but after the reduced the RC51 pistons a bit. Note very carfully where the cut is and how deep, its not centered and they are opposite hand left-right. Do not cut too deep and touch up with 2-part epoxy paint the bare aluminum. The installed pic is my work.
Attached Thumbnails List of Bolt-On Front Brake Mods-milled_rc_calipers.jpg   List of Bolt-On Front Brake Mods-milled_rc_calipers_2.jpg   List of Bolt-On Front Brake Mods-vtr-w-f4i-caliper-r-l.jpg  

Last edited by skokievtr; 03-04-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:42 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
I installed the six pot GSXR calipers and have an 07 GSXR1000 Radial Front Master cylinder and lever assy. on the way from Ebay.

I am excited about trying the Radial Master cylinder with its improved plunger location.

I most likely will need to buy new SS lines and sell my existing SS lines as the Radial MC has different line connection angle over the older traditional MC's

Quick Reply: List of Bolt-On Front Brake Mods