Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Lightweight wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 04:26 AM
Squid

Babelfish is on a distinguished road
Lightweight wheels

Back after a couple of years on the Dark Side (Aprilia) I'm in the process of upgrading my VTR that has been standing in the garage for two years.
I'm looking at both fornt end and rear end upgrade. I allready have a low milage hight adjustable Wilbers rear shock that should do the job.
Looking at the alternatives I've seen so far a 1000RR front and a SP1 swingarm looks like the real deal to me. SP2 is hard to find and longer...

While on the dark side I've ended up with two light weight OZ wheels, originally for early Aprilias
I have spacers making them also fit the newer RSV/Tuono twins.
What measurements do I need to watch to get them to fit, or should I sell them and go for a pair 1000/600RR wheels?
I guess the 1000RR/600RR wheel have different measurments than the VTR? That would prevent me from using them when measuring the OZ rims.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Revelation is on a distinguished road
Ehh a SP1 wont work... wrong bearings and other problems. SP2 will work.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-advice-25292/

Or see tweety's mod list.
SuperHawk Forum - Tweety's Album: Tweety's Firestorm

I have a set of marchesini wheels under my streetfighter, those were actually for some Ducati... works fine with some spacers and a custom rear caliper.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:16 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
I have a CBR1000 front end complete with Apex Riser bars for sale in the classifieds section. The have like new (<200mi) All ***** Tapered head tube bearings. Good tire on the rim, radial brakes. I was asking $1000 shipped but I'm open to offers. The left fork has a slow leak, I'm including a set of fork seals to be installed.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Revelation
Ehh a SP1 wont work... wrong bearings and other problems. SP2 will work.
Problem is that SP2's are hardly available
SP1 wont work, that was a sad suprice. What's the probelm except from the bearings?
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-advice-25292/

Or see tweety's mod list.
SuperHawk Forum - Tweety's Album: Tweety's Firestorm

I have a set of marchesini wheels under my streetfighter, those were actually for some Ducati... works fine with some spacers and a custom rear caliper.

With an Aprilia rear. Cool. What do you mean with custom caliper? Hand Buildt caliper?
Is that a braced stock swingarm?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:31 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Babelfish
Problem is that SP2's are hardly available
SP1 wont work, that was a sad suprice. What's the probelm except from the bearings?

With an Aprilia rear. Cool. What do you mean with custom caliper? Hand Buildt caliper?
Is that a braced stock swingarm?
SP1's work fine... Why wouldn't it? It's a bit more work than the SP2's but not really an issue...

You need to either swap out both sets of bearings to accept the VTR's 20 mm axle instead of the 25 mm one that the SP1 uses, or if you don't fancy that, do what I did, and make two sleeves with internal spacers, since you need a small shim on either side anyways to center the swingarm...

And as with the SP2 swing, you need to figure out the shock mounting and linkage, there are a bunch of threads on that already, so I won't go into detail...

Yeah, for those wondering, I have one VTR with a SP2 swingarm and one with an SP1 swingarm... I also have a stock one, and a spare one... And some spare parts that could be a bike if I wanted... It's a disease I tell you...

Last edited by Tweety; 01-06-2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

Revelation is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
SP1's work fine... Why wouldn't it? It's a bit more work than the SP2's but not really an issue...

You need to either swap out both sets of bearings to accept the VTR's 20 mm axle instead of the 25 mm one that the SP1 uses, or if you don't fancy that, do what I did, and make two sleeves with internal spacers, since you need a small shim on either side anyways to center the swingarm...

And as with the SP2 swing, you need to figure out the shock mounting and linkage, there are a bunch of threads on that already, so I won't go into detail...
Oooohwww.... hmmm I'd better shut my mouth now!
Thnx....

Yeah, for those wondering, I have one VTR with a SP2 swingarm and one with an SP1 swingarm... I also have a stock one, and a spare one... And some spare parts that could be a bike if I wanted... It's a disease I tell you...
Same here... have about 2 and a half VTR now

And yes, that is an original superhawk rearswing with a CBR900RR brace.

Last edited by Revelation; 01-06-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Squid

Good to hear that confirmed.

As for sleeves/spacers, would a comnined spacer/sleeve work?

Finally, I'm sure you would know: What's the axle diameter on the 1000RR and 600RR rear wheels?
What can I use for rear caliper and adapter.
Any suitable spares you want to sell?
The postage wouldn't be that bad if I pick them up over the border
Old 01-07-2013, 06:58 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
A combined spacer & sleeve was what I meant by internal... Basically stick a piece of metal in a lathe and make two sleeves with a collar for the correct spacing of the swingarm... Simple...

Both the 600RR and 1000RR uses a 25 mm rear axle... I have used both rear wheels at various points so i can verify that they are direct bolt on...

For the caliper, you need the mounting arm from an SP1 to match up to the notches fixating it and the angle of the swingarm, but other than that you can run the CBR/VTR/SP disc, they are the same, spaced the same...

To make things easy though, get an SP1/SP2 caliper, the position of the hydraulic line and bleed nipple are interchanged vs the VTR caliper, so the lines are much, much easier to fit if you use the SP caliper...

Well, dunno, what parts do you need? And "across the border", where are you located?
Old 01-09-2013, 03:49 AM
Squid

I live in Norway. Right now all i have are the adj. Wilbers shock, OZ-Aprilia rims, an extra Firestorm swingarm with link possibly som usable front springs.
I am looking at replacing both front and rear with the goal og getting a better track day bike. I need swingarm ++ and forks. For the forks I guess the easiest would be to get a complete set including calipers, triple clamps... out of ebay. As for the rear I probably need to get the items from different sources. Wold not mind an SP2 swing arm but they are rear.

As for the rear caliper, I come from two years with aprilia. I think they redesigned the caliper mount and forgot to change the caliper order from brembo so I've been living with the "upside down" configuration for some while now
Old 02-25-2013, 06:33 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Nice fighter... do you have a link to an album

I'd like to see more of it
Old 02-24-2015, 10:04 AM
Squid

Reviving this tread after another two years of careful planing of the improvements.
As I mentioned in the first post I have a set of nice forged OZ wheels that I would like to use. I have confirmed that the front wheel should fit with 06-07 forks. It has 25mm axel and the rotors are of the right size but I don't know what offset I need. Could someone with a CBR1000RR front wheel measure the disk to disk distance?
Old 02-24-2015, 04:41 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
'04-'06 cbr1000 has, according to a chart that I found on EBC's web site, 12.75 off set. I have tried to post a copy of the chart but it come out way too small to be useful. Also not had any luck finding it again.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:45 PM
Squid

mrgogh is on a distinguished road
my 2006 1000rr front wheel measured 14cm or 5 9/16 inches rotor to rotor.
Is that what you needed?
Old 03-11-2015, 04:29 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by mrgogh
my 2006 1000rr front wheel measured 14cm or 5 9/16 inches rotor to rotor.
Is that what you needed?
Yeah, not the answer I was hoping for but I guess a 5mm spacer will do the trick.

14cm was center to center?
Old 02-05-2016, 08:49 AM
Squid

thielb is on a distinguished road
Could've sworn that CBR600 F3 rims are a direct fit but I cant find the reference anymore. CBR600 is mentioned here but its not specific as to which gen. Can someone chime in? I've got a good lead on CBR600F3 rims that I'd like to act on
Old 02-05-2016, 10:30 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Yes they are, one to one perfect fit. CBR600 F3
Though they are not lighter!
Old 02-05-2016, 10:51 AM
Squid

thielb is on a distinguished road
Thanks chum, i figured they wouldn't be much of a weight saver but I personally think they look way better and I'm in need of a spare set of rims for track anyway.
Thanks for the confirmation