Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Front Fork Swap - The Guide

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 03:40 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
SP-1 and SP-2 brakes are, respectively, essentially the same as 929 and 954 (in terms of calipers and MCs), the only major difference is the use of 320mm rotors on the RC compared to 330mm rotors on the CBRs. YOu can't go wrong with any of the combinations.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:01 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
OK so here is something I didn't see, what's the spacing for the rotor on each? My thought process is I'd prefer to keep the stock VTR wheel so they match fr-rr. I would think the axle issue should be solvable with different bearings. But are the rotor spacings different that would negate this? Also are the rotor bolt patterns different where they woudn't be interchangable? I wouldn't think it'd be to hard to put a shim behind the rotor to space them further apart if needed. Though if they are closer together on the RC or CBR that may be an issue.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:10 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
So y'all think $250 for both forks, upper and lower tripple clamps and the axle of an '00 929 is a good buy? What's the difference between the calipers on the SH vs the 929?
Old 06-02-2012, 01:12 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
A decent starting point, the 929 have fork springs that are on the weaker side, so if you are on the smaller side it's a match, for me at ~200 pounds, 929 forks would have needed to be re-sprung anyways, so i didn't bother...

The difference in the calipers alone is much, much larger pistons... Combine them with a matching master cylinder and you got stopping power and feel... Combine them with the VTR MC and you stop the bike and keep going yourself, heading for orbit...
Old 12-10-2012, 12:14 PM
SHawk Member
Back Marker

JN607 is on a distinguished road
I wanted to add that the Second Gen Hayabusa forks will bolt right up to the VTR's frame. The only thing that I really had to make "custom" was all ***** bearings for both the top and bottom half of the triple tree.

They are also 50 mm forks and are considerably (and understandably) larger than the VTR's 41mm. I had to utilize the second gen busa wheel and rotors as well. The turn lock is also wider so it will hit against the top radiator hose but if you read the thread, you would know exactly how to fix that (if you felt froggy enough to). I didn't need to get any kind of custom brake lines or clutch lines because the busa forks (mine did anyway) came with the brake lines intact and in good working order. The clutch line is just long enough to reach the clutch master cylinder so I was able to use the busa's clutch and brake cylinders. Hope this helps anyone out there who is thinking about this swap. Pictures of the front end can be seen from the link in my sig.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Squid

sethnelsonnc is on a distinguished road
At a shop I was working at about a year and a half ago we had a guy set up his sh with a gsx-r 1000 front end, with woodcraft clip ons, sh front wheel. The rest was all gsx-r1000 components. The only issue was you needed spacers for the caliper so it set right with the rotor. (not sure what year the liter front end came off) There may be more to the build that I didn't see but that's to the best of my knowledge all the components.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by JN607
They are also 50 mm forks and are considerably (and understandably) larger than the VTR's 41mm.

Umm they are 43mm forks....
Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
50mm outer tubes, 43mm sliders. I think you are both right.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:45 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
I am in the middle of an SV650S front end swap. The SVRider forum guys have an extensive chart for Suzuki front ends that may be of use for VTR owners wanting measurements and interchangeability of GSXR and BUSA front end parts, wheels, rotors.

GSXR Fork Information / Permutations - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums
Old 05-27-2013, 01:52 AM
Squid

outrigger is on a distinguished road
I wanted to add that the Second Gen Hayabusa forks will bolt right up to the VTR's frame. The only thing that I really had to make "custom" was all ***** bearings for both the top and bottom half of the triple tree.
Hey JN, got specs on the custom bearings? ID/OD etc? There's a juicy 'busa whole front for sale at a wrecker near my place. Creaming
Old 05-27-2013, 04:49 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by outrigger
Hey JN, got specs on the custom bearings? ID/OD etc? There's a juicy 'busa whole front for sale at a wrecker near my place. Creaming
Something that I see often overlooked is that before a fork swap is the replacement forks often need springs and a revalve. This is certainly the case with Hayabusa forks. The internal valving is crap and the springs are on the soft side for many riders.

Please don't get fooled into thinking straight out of the box the inverted forks will be better. Sure, they are probably better than the stock VTR forks. In most cases doing springs and revalve on your VTR forks will net you better performance than a set of stock inverted forks.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:47 AM
Back Marker

malahhaor is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
Something that I see often overlooked is that before a fork swap is the replacement forks often need springs and a revalve. This is certainly the case with Hayabusa forks. The internal valving is crap and the springs are on the soft side for many riders.

Please don't get fooled into thinking straight out of the box the inverted forks will be better. Sure, they are probably better than the stock VTR forks. In most cases doing springs and revalve on your VTR forks will net you better performance than a set of stock inverted forks.
So for someone who rides about 600 miles a year and not extreemly agressive, youre saying reworking stock forks will suffice? im 205 at 5'11'' and my current forks bottom out extreemly easy. its a 98 model and i dont know if previouse owners ever serviced them.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:15 AM
Superstock

VTRDarren
Originally Posted by malahhaor
So for someone who rides about 600 miles a year and not extreemly agressive, youre saying reworking stock forks will suffice? im 205 at 5'11'' and my current forks bottom out extreemly easy. its a 98 model and i dont know if previouse owners ever serviced them.
I had reworked stock forks on my '98 that saw street and track duty and having them simply resprung and correctly valved made a world of difference (I'm also 200-ish)
Old 01-22-2014, 09:31 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by malahhaor
Yeah, for most riders a revalve/spring upgrade is plenty. USD forks are nice but I'm not sure the average rider would be able to justify the cost.
Old 09-25-2015, 10:45 PM
Squid

Kieran is on a distinguished road
ZX10r Fork swap

Hello all
I am working on a fork swap using 04/05 ZX10r forks & calipers, 07 CBR600rr triples and a GSXR1000 radial mastercylinder.
This puts the brake caliper centres at 132mm, and the 04/05 ZX10r axle is the same diameter as the VTR's.
VTR brake disc centres are at 130mm, which is ok. Floating piston calipers allow for such discrepancies.
With this setup I can use the stock wheel. I'm working on spacer sizes now.
The top triple had to be bored out to 50mm, bottom was fine. Bearings and spindle were the same. I will have to adjust the steering stops as they don't allow enough lock, and then I will need to put the radiator spacers on.
With the downward gullarm top triple the forks are long enough.
The brakes on that model of ZX10r were known to be soggy, and that mastercylinder is a known fix on the zx forum.
More to follow.

Last edited by Kieran; 09-25-2015 at 10:47 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 10-08-2015, 06:30 AM
Squid
Squid

SXRguyinMA is on a distinguished road
I just found my triple clamp set from my old TLR in teh shed - I'm going to see if they'll fit on the Hawk
Old 08-27-2016, 02:14 PM
Squid

playerone is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
SP-1 and SP-2 brakes are, respectively, essentially the same as 929 and 954 (in terms of calipers and MCs), the only major difference is the use of 320mm rotors on the RC compared to 330mm rotors on the CBRs. YOu can't go wrong with any of the combinations.
So the fitment holes are same spacing on the SP-1 discs(rotors) as the 954?
Old 08-28-2016, 06:12 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by playerone
So the fitment holes are same spacing on the SP-1 discs(rotors) as the 954?
Bolt spacing is the same across many models and years. Take a look at these charts.
Front Fork Swap - The Guide-viewer_004.png

Front Fork Swap - The Guide-viewer_002.png
Old 08-28-2016, 10:18 AM
Squid

playerone is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by xeris
Bolt spacing is the same across many models and years. Take a look at these charts.
Attachment 20292

Attachment 20293
That's perfect, thank you
Old 09-08-2018, 04:41 PM
SuperSport

ACE VenTRa is on a distinguished road
Has anyone ever determined which of the fork swaps is the lightest?
Old 09-08-2018, 05:39 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I am running 2005 ZX-10R forks and had read at the time of their release that they were the lightest USD forks around. That may or may not be the case anymore.