Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Drilling For Bobbins

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 10:37 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Drilling For Bobbins

Sounds like a good name for TV game show.

I've searched D'FORUM to no avail, so has anyone drilled & tapped the OEM swing arm* for rear stand bobbins; drilled and welded a nut* for bobbins; and/or, lastly, know the wall thickness and cross-section of the extruded Swing Arm "tube" (and if and where there are vertical and horizontal internal stiffner "webs")?

*indicate if it was the extruded "tube" or the end adjuster "block"

For those of you who I believe have cut & wacked the OEM S/A, did you take pics?

After nearly 72+ hrs straight mad, mad maintenance & modding, I hopefully will roll early on a bright and warm spring day tomorrow, even by Lake Michigan. Finally! Inland folks have fared better only just recently. I'll do a shake-down locally and then maybe venture west to Aurora and catch the races on DVD with my RVT SP1 bud. Or instead maybe find some local twisties, which last all of 5 turns. There is an industrial park I usually warm up and practice to get the feel of my motorized steed for the first time since serious Windy City wind chill made me mothball D'VTR last year! It seems so long ago.

Believe it or not I pedaled through it all. I'm hoping I exceed my 3,500 pedaling miles in 06 on D'VTR in 07! Hooking up with ya'ol in NC is looking iffy though.

SAFETY IS MY PRIORITY. WITH NEW RUBBER, FRONT BRAKE MASTER CYLINDER AND FORK DAMPING AND COUNTLESS OTHER "TWEAKS", I'M JUST HOPING I DIDN'T MAKE ANY BLEARY EYED MISTAKES. IT STILL LOOKS CLASSICALLY BEAUTIFUL LIKE A GENTLEMAN'S "EXPRESS" TO ME.

GO NICKY & VALE!
Old 04-21-2007, 10:58 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Try searching "spools".
Old 04-22-2007, 08:12 AM
SuperBike

Thanks but...

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Try searching "spools".
Do you know if there are there any other threads besides these?

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...searchid=34764
Old 04-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
I had a pair of Pit Bull spool adapters welded to the bottom of my swingarm. Works great.

http://www.pit-bull.com/catalog/prod...bcaed4be3837b0

You can't root for both Nicky and Vale. Can't have two winners. :P
Old 04-22-2007, 04:47 PM
SuperBike

Thanks and...

Originally Posted by marmaladeboy
I had a pair of Pit Bull spool adapters welded to the bottom of my swingarm. Works great.

http://www.pit-bull.com/catalog/prod...bcaed4be3837b0

You can't root for both Nicky and Vale. Can't have two winners. :P
I may try drilling and installing an 8mm threaded insert... In the mean time, I applied some slip-resistant tape to the underside of the swing arm and will see if it keeps my Pit Bull stand from slipping forward.

BTW, I may re-up my Pit Bull reseller agreement for listers.

I can root for Nicky AND Vale! Nicky did just OK but pipped by Hopper at the end and poor Vale made an unusual mistake got bumped twice by Elias and then had a rear tire issue.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:55 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
I tried the 'non-slip' tape approach on the bottom of the swing arm some years back. It wasn't the answer. What does work is this. I used a steel rod that would pass through the hollow right side of the axle. Had to machine the left end down so it would pass all the way through the axle. Press fit a spool to the right end and secured permanently to the rod. On the machined left side I slip fit a spool and drilled the rod for a removable pin that keeps the spool from walking off the rod. So now when I want to clean and lubricate the chain I slide the rod in from the right side, slip my removable spool on the left end, insert my securing pin, and lift 'er up with my Pit Bull. This is the most secure and steady method I've used in over 10 years of Superhawk ownership.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:53 AM
SuperBike

But this approach doesn't work for rear wheel removal

Originally Posted by altosuperhawk
I tried the 'non-slip' tape approach on the bottom of the swing arm some years back. It wasn't the answer. What does work is this. I used a steel rod that would pass through the hollow right side of the axle. Had to machine the left end down so it would pass all the way through the axle. Press fit a spool to the right end and secured permanently to the rod. On the machined left side I slip fit a spool and drilled the rod for a removable pin that keeps the spool from walking off the rod. So now when I want to clean and lubricate the chain I slide the rod in from the right side, slip my removable spool on the left end, insert my securing pin, and lift 'er up with my Pit Bull. This is the most secure and steady method I've used in over 10 years of Superhawk ownership.