Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

CHEAPER MANUAL CCTS!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Superstock

Bearshawk is on a distinguished road
CHEAPER MANUAL CCTS!!

Hey guys! a little while back i asked for some help on dimensions for the CCT's for our wonderful SH's and i have been in contact with a guy who owns his own business making CCt's for other bikes and has TONS of models and just finished making his first set for the SH today!!

So just putting this out as a feeler for him, if anyone wants a set just say so on here, and i can pass the numbers on and then give all you guys his contact and you can work on payment

NOW he is able to make these things for pretty cheap, $65 plus shipping (5 for us,11 for canada, 13 for rest of the world)!!

the quality looks great and attached is a picture of one of his ccts he makes for some Kaw models

so have fun guys! lets hop on this great deal on a cheap insurance policy for our beautiful twins
Attached Thumbnails CHEAPER MANUAL CCTS!!-640-kawasaki-diamond-tensioner.jpg  
Old 04-01-2011, 08:28 PM
mcg
Squid

mcg is on a distinguished road
Sign me up!
McG
Old 04-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road
I like that they are not coloured red or blue, I prefer aluminium colour.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:16 PM
Squid

1down5up is on a distinguished road
I'm interested!
Old 04-02-2011, 12:21 AM
Squid

jsn_hog is on a distinguished road
I'm interested.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:18 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Interested here in UK - have a friend's '98 storm that needs a set
Old 04-02-2011, 06:16 AM
Just hangin' out
Back Marker

klx678 is on a distinguished road
After getting an email from John I figured it would be good to be here as a member to answer any questions anyone might have and just to occasionally hang out. I did the same with the Eliminator group (ZL-OA forum) and even met up with some of them at Mid Ohio Vintage Days last year. I look forward to seeing them there again this year. Maybe see some of you guys if you go to either Vintage Days or the Superbike weekend. I'm not there selling anything, I'm there for the races. The bikes are the fun for me, the tensioners are a sideline that grew a bit. But it still occurs in my single stall garage.

I am open for email and PMs on this forum and hope my little project can be of help for some of you at a fair price. I will mention the OP was off by about a buck on the shipping. The kit will be $65 as said, but shipping is USPS flat rate priority at $5.20 US, $11.95 Canada, and $13.95 for the rest of the world. To give a bit of assurance, I've sold probably about 50-60 tensioners to the UK and probably about 30-40 to Australia. So I'm open to about anyone any place. The interesting fun ones were to Serbia, Thailand, Latvia, Poland, Malaysia, and Singapore. The rider in either Singapore or Malaysia had me work out for him to get an FCR Kehin and a Walmart seat cover to him since the shop with the carb wouldn't ship out of the US.

Kind of fun. Did an ebay deal to a mate in Australia, who eventually came to the US to pick up some flat trackers to ship back. That's some of the perks of playing with the motorcycles for me.

Again, I hope all are okay with me here.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:51 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Those tensioners look nice- Really like the effort to put the flat socket cap screws in. I'd be in if I didn't already have a set.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:09 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
I will purchase a set.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:30 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
They do look good. nice attention to detail. I would get a set but last year I bought the poor fitting/leaking set from Rider On A Storm(not advised)...paid more for them, then had to buy gaskets, which from your picture I assume you include the gaskets?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:17 AM
Just hangin' out
Back Marker

Yes, gaskets in. When I decided to sell them for the KLX and Zephyr to the guys in the Zephyr-Zone and the Yahoo KLX650 group I decided to make the kit the way I'd want it. That includes the gasket and a couple of stickers. I wouldn't want to buy the item then have to go order a gasket, I want the stuff right there in front of me. I started originally including the proper hex key wrench, but then figured it was overkill.

It's all been fun with minimal profits, but it pays a bill or two and gives guys a choice. The pricing was kind of figured on how far out of the way a guy would go to make one himself in the garage, based on my own experience. The first few were quite literally hand cut and drilled - if it was still that way I'd not be doing this.

I was actually ready to buy an APE unit for the Zephyr, but the supplier wouldn't check to see if the GPz550 unit had enough bolt reach and APE didn't bother getting back with me on having the same done or one with a longer bolt made, in spite of having all the dimensional information. I was ready to pay their price. They didn't do anything so I did and the rest is kind of history.

The whole thing came about with my trying to keep the 20 year old Zephyr going. I knew cam chain noise from the KLX. I had the first one on the KLX go bad at 5000 miles, replaced it with an OEM. Then had that one go bad at around 12,000 miles. I listened to the guys on the KLX forum that said "KLXs are noisy engines." and continued riding it. What a mistake. It cost me about $400 for the top end tear down to replace the destroyed cam chains. The only benefit was when the mechanics who were doing the work (I sold bikes at the shop and could make the money to pay for the work, which would get done faster than my doing it in my spare time) found a Vulcan 1500 piston and stuck it on the wrist pin from my 650. Suffice it to say I did the measurements and took the chance - KLX678 with more power everywhere. But I digress...

When I bought the Zephyr 550 it sounded like a hornets net under the tank. Same response on the Zone - "They're all noisy, it won't hurt anything." With my KLX experience no way was I buying that. Noise is like pain - it's God's way of telling you something's most likely wrong, so fix it. I did, instant quiet. No adjustment in 8000 miles on it, chain was seated in and running with little change - as a HyVo chain should. There is still the primary chain noise, but that is noise that does not indicate a problem on the Zephyr. I will tell people if it ain't broke don't fix it, like the Concours riders who don't have cam chain noise, but if it is noisy don't believe it's normal, fix it. I will say it sounds like that might not be the case with the front tensioner on the Superhawk/Firestorm though, running dry. That might be a case for all being fine, but catastrophic failure when it doe let loose. The Kaws are progressive and sometimes intermittent. They can be ridden a few thousand miles before the damage is done.

Since I'm some guy in a single stall garage, with a bit of mechanical engineering knowledge, I don't have any advertising budget, I don't have the extra cash to advertise - student loans for the wife and kids - so it is all via forums like this one. That's why few have heard of me outside a few forums. But oh how those forums work...

It is interesting and fun to be in contact with people around the world. So far it's 17 countries with the bulk of overseas going to the UK and Australia. Totally mind boggling and incredible.

I've got a link in my signature - and I do appreciate the forum allowing that - as well as taking email from the site. I look forward to communicating with any of you guys on this whole thing. I have about a half dozen forum thread references from the Concours, Kawasaki Forums, Kawasaki Motorcycles, and Eliminator Owners (ZL-OA) that pertain to the parts I've made. They're mainly Kawasaki because I own two Kaws (no preference, just the look I wanted and I couldn't find a r/w/b 86 Nighthawk S at the time I got the 550) and those are the guys who asked about them. Now one of the members here asked and I've done the deal. I look forward to helping anyone with their tensioner problems and appreciate any support after they find how the parts work.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:19 AM
Just hangin' out
Back Marker

By the way, yes I am "long winded" when writing on forums. I'm a bit the same when in casual conversation. Just the way I am.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:20 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
One thing to pass on to him:

Because the rear one is bathed in oil internally, oil seeping past the threads of the main bolt can be an issue.

APE addressed this with a o-ring between the body & the locking nut, TruckinDuc (when he was around and making them) used an oil sealing washer for the same purpose, and people who purchased the old APEs (pre o-ring) tend to fix it with a dab of silicone glue before tightening it down lol.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Just hangin' out
Back Marker

I put the O-ring in the first time around, because the conversion one I did for my KLX oozed a bit of oil. Having worked in a hydraulic cylinder repair shop as a repair draftsperson it immediately came to mind when I made the one for my Zephyr and the rest. Now I've added a Viton O-ring in place of the neoprene one because it's good for about 400+ degrees where the neoprene was around 250 degrees. Not likely to melt the neoprene, but why not be positive. Then I used a jam nut/acorn on the end to allow disassembly to replace the seal should it ever need replaced - again, just being sure. Hopefully no need for silicone goo.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

superdutyd is on a distinguished road
The o-ring doesn't seal very well on the threads and usually fails. Lots of posts on the site about this. Non hardening thread sealant is best. Seal it once and never have to worry about it again.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Squid

panch13 is on a distinguished road
I'll take a set also. I was just getting ready to order a set next week.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Just hangin' out
Back Marker

Originally Posted by superdutyd
The o-ring doesn't seal very well on the threads and usually fails. Lots of posts on the site about this. Non hardening thread sealant is best. Seal it once and never have to worry about it again.

When the volume of space in the sealing area is actually less than the volume of the O-ring material it should seal by compression. I had one leak on a bike in the UK, sent him a new one and directions on how to repair the other one. The one thing I didn't do was actually work out the volume of the area enclosed versus the O-ring, when I did I found that I was too close to inadequate... my bad. Should have done the math at the outset. I've cut back on the depth now and try to keep it right. I've not heard back about the new one leaking and his was one of only two comments on leakage. The other was light weeping that would moisten the bolt thread and hold dirt, no actual drip.

But it can happen and I'm not perfect. Although I just went out and checked the one on the Zephyr and got dirt, but no oil on my finger. I think the KLX does let a light film out though, but no drip.

Last edited by klx678; 04-06-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:48 PM
Superstock

maniac2313 is on a distinguished road
Just want to say I have received a set of these and quality is seccond to none!!!
Old 04-30-2011, 08:30 PM
Back Marker

nykuryu is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by maniac2313
Just want to say I have received a set of these and quality is seccond to none!!!
me too! great communication with mark. great guy. great product. great stickers!
Old 05-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Squid

smk2mch87 is on a distinguished road
yea i bought some n so far so good n didnt even have to wait on shipping lol
Old 05-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Back Marker

nykuryu is on a distinguished road
my mechanic said the motor turns over and runs great minus the shimming needed. looks like the MCCT's worked great. great product. thanks mark
Old 05-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Just hangin' out
Back Marker

Glad to hear it. Figured they'd do the job.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:14 PM
RIPI
Squid
Squid

RIPI is on a distinguished road
Bought a set too, nicely done! Have red APE units on another bike and with these blue ones I can now tell which bike is which!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I got a set of these last week and installed them. I like the fact they are not all blingy with bright anodized colors, the cost was reasonable, and the instructions clear. I am very happy with these, and I don't worrry anymore about the dreaded CCT syndrome these bikes are noted for.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Squid

2armor is on a distinguished road
I would like a set.

Edit: EMAIL SENT.

Last edited by 2armor; 05-23-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:13 PM
K30
Squid

K30 is on a distinguished road
I got a set of these as well and everything is working great. Now I can listen to the noises the bike makes without wondering if the motor is going to eat itself.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
+1.

Lining up my weekend for the install. Clean unit.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:57 PM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
Just received my set From Kierger. Great communication, Packed Very Well. Good
instuctions, nice stickers and gaskets included. I opted for the optional 4mm socket
to make install easier. Very good construction and solid. I will attempt install after
going over the instructions along with the excellent posts by members for the 4th time.
Great deal on a very well built product. Will update my experience after install.
Thanks Mark and forum members. P.S. -Three Days to Hawaii-(including Sunday).
Old 06-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
dang i might get some of these...been worrying about the CCTs as i have a 98 with the original CCTs and over 17k miles now D:
Old 06-14-2011, 01:50 AM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

tomzxt is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Originally Posted by Onomea
Just received my set From Kierger. Great communication, Packed Very Well. Good
instuctions, nice stickers and gaskets included. I opted for the optional 4mm socket
to make install easier. Very good construction and solid. I will attempt install after
going over the instructions along with the excellent posts by members for the 4th time.
Great deal on a very well built product. Will update my experience after install.
Thanks Mark and forum members. P.S. -Three Days to Hawaii-(including Sunday).
I second this. Installed mine 06/09/2011 and have had NO issues. Now that I am not afraid of my head being destroyed my only problem is where to put the new stickers Thanks again KLX.

Edit:Mine are his new design. One longer, one shorter.

Quick Reply: CHEAPER MANUAL CCTS!!