Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Squid

Myhairym0nk3y is on a distinguished road
That's more then bikes worth. Didn't have to be rude about just asking if anyone out there is willing.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:41 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Rude?
Old 01-20-2014, 10:33 PM
Squid

2500? Screw up my bike?
Old 01-21-2014, 04:45 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

OK, $1500. The rest of my terms stand, though. I can't be held responsible for screwing up your bike; because, I don't really know what I'm doing.

Last edited by VTR1000F; 01-21-2014 at 04:52 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:15 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Lol! myharyman, I'm not sure if you saw that you have an offer for a used relay on your personal page. Seems like a decent option. You also can wait a couple of weeks to see if Marquez finds that the LED option that he's testing has any merit (discussed in the thread that you started). Relay is probably the easiest as there is no cutting or splicing involved. Vrt1000F has generously offered to mutilate your front housing at your cost and with no warranty as a third option.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:26 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

The $1000 off deal is only for myfavoritemonkey.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:31 PM
Squid

I'm not sure I want to still use halogen bulbs though. Someone gave me a link to the full hid and projector kit for 150 so I'm going to give it a shot...
Old 01-22-2014, 08:33 PM
Squid

Also new speedometer any one here installed this?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DMQ60OE
Old 01-23-2014, 07:53 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

Monkey man, you'll find some projector retrofit threads on here if you search, but here is the one I like and intend to model mine after:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...version-29876/

Now, if I can only find someone to fork over a bag of cash and allow me to make all my mistakes on their bike first...

Like 7 said, you may want to wait on Mr. Marquez's LED bulb findings. Certainly, that would be easier than a projector retrofit and cheaper too.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:44 AM
Squid

VTR I read through the link. He is talking about a water jetted plate. I mean did he fab this himself or did it come In a kit he bought? It's so stupid that it has to be so much work just to get better and safer lighting on your bike....
Old 01-24-2014, 02:06 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

The water jetted plate was archaicguy's design and, yes, he fabbed it himself. The projector and associated electrics came from theretrofitsource.com. While the particular projector model he used is not the version used in The Retrofit Source's motorcycle kit, my understanding is that they are very helpful in guiding you in "kitting up" hardware based on whichever projector model you wish to use.

You needn't make a plate as fancy as archaicguy's. You could use lighter weight aluminum plate shaped using hand tools as long as the end result offers a stable mount for the projector. You don't have to fabricate a plate at all. It's more common to just mount the projector to the plastic headlight reflector. Of course this requires cutting and the destruction of the reflector as well, so there's no going back either way.

Yes, it's a difficult task, but you have to remember that you are installing a projector in an application that was never designed for a projector. Easier paths have been outlined in this very thread. Perhaps the easiest of which, with the most bang for the buck, MAY be a replacement LED bulb. Now, if Marquez would just quit pissing around with his braced swingarm mod and get to a comprehensive review and installation post on the Chinese LED bulb he ordered that we're all waiting for...

Last edited by VTR1000F; 01-24-2014 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:32 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Myhairym0nk3y
VTR I read through the link. He is talking about a water jetted plate. I mean did he fab this himself or did it come In a kit he bought? It's so stupid that it has to be so much work just to get better and safer lighting on your bike....
Didn't you read the agreement that you signed when you registered for this forum? All forum members must own a full machine shop to participate... you're showing suspicious signs that this isn't the case...

This may help you as well, to see how you have to cut the back of the housing. LED strips, halo rings, water jet back plate are all unnecessary bling, and just thing that people are doing to make theirs different or
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ight-v2-23440/
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...light-d-20861/
Old 01-24-2014, 07:12 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

I'm planning on blingity blingin' the **** out of mine with some bad *** LED strips, not only to be one of the cool kids, but because I think it helps with visibility. I notice the newer vehicles on the road these days that have the LED accents in front. My eyes just seem drawn to the LEDs and I think they get your attention at a greater distance. Maybe this has to do with the switching frequency that is noticable in so many of them or maybe it's because I'm an electrical engineer and LEDs just rock ***. I don't know, but whatever gets you noticed and not pulled out in front of is a good thing. And I just don't like modulated headlights. Probably 'cause they're not LEDs.

What do you guys think about the noticeability of LED equipped vehicles over non-*** rocking vehicles? Is it just me? Come on, machine shop or no, front fender headlight housing having or not, chime in.

Maybe this should move on to its own thread?

Last edited by VTR1000F; 01-24-2014 at 11:04 AM. Reason: It needed editing.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:37 AM
MotoGP

We've already jacked this thread enough anyway... LED's are a definite plus in my book as well. Somewhere I learned too that the wider apart your lights are the better people can judge your distance and how quickly you're approaching. Our brains are wired with their depth perception to automatically take into account the rate that a series of points are growing apart from each other to judge speed (especially when we have a relative spacing we are used to such as car headlights). Which is why it's so hard to judge how close and fast single light motorcycles are to judge at night. It's just one point in space so gives no real frame of reference.

Modulation bugs me as well... I just think of warning lights or cops, or that the vehicle keeps hitting speed bumps at disturbingly regular intervals. I imagine it would be especially annoying with a bi-xenon projector where it's just instantaneously flipping a little shield up and down with no smooth high/low transition.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:04 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

"vehicle keeps hitting speed bumps at disturbingly regular intervals"

Haha. That's exactly what I think.

I didn't qualify my opinion before, but I think LEDs make vehicles more conspicuous in daylight or low light situations as well.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:10 AM
MotoGP

Agreed. How many LED's did you install on that Klondike Derby sled?

The only "problem" with LED's in the daytime for me is when they first came out on the Audi's I was so distracted by how cool they were that I forgot to look where I was going when I encountered them. They're on enough cars now that this issue has passed and I can go back to texting and driving.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Myhairym0nk3y
Looks good, but you know that's in kilometers, mot MPH, right?
Old 01-27-2014, 01:02 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
I'm planning on blingity blingin' the **** out of mine with some bad *** LED strips, not only to be one of the cool kids, but because I think it helps with visibility. I notice the newer vehicles on the road these days that have the LED accents in front. My eyes just seem drawn to the LEDs and I think they get your attention at a greater distance. Maybe this has to do with the switching frequency that is noticable in so many of them or maybe it's because I'm an electrical engineer and LEDs just rock ***. I don't know, but whatever gets you noticed and not pulled out in front of is a good thing. And I just don't like modulated headlights. Probably 'cause they're not LEDs.

What do you guys think about the noticeability of LED equipped vehicles over non-*** rocking vehicles? Is it just me? Come on, machine shop or no, front fender headlight housing having or not, chime in.

Maybe this should move on to its own thread?
Modulated HID's is a genuinely bad idea in every way, since that means either a million hot re-strikes on the ballast, which will undoubtedly kill it in a short time, and also can make it "lock up" switched off at random times, meaning you are riding around blind for a few minutes... Or, hooking the modulator to the solenoid for high/low beam if you are running a true dual beam projector, which will wear out the shield in very short order...

Same goes for the LED's with a separate drive circuit, like the Cree's... That ballast doesn't at all like hot re-strikes...
Old 01-27-2014, 01:03 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FTL900
Looks good, but you know that's in kilometers, mot MPH, right?
It's switchable with a single button press...
Old 01-27-2014, 08:50 AM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
It's switchable with a single button press...
Thanks Tweety... I looked at it for a long time but couldn't find anything about that. I have a dirt bike that I added plates to, and it needs a speedo/odo so I can keep track of fuel range.

I emailed the company to ask about it, but I got something back in very broken English about it being Chinese New Year right now, and don't expect much of anything from us anytime soon.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:31 AM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

Modulated HID's is a genuinely bad idea in every way, since that means either a million hot re-strikes on the ballast, which will undoubtedly kill it in a short time, and also can make it "lock up" switched off at random times, meaning you are riding around blind for a few minutes... Or, hooking the modulator to the solenoid for high/low beam if you are running a true dual beam projector, which will wear out the shield in very short order...

Same goes for the LED's with a separate drive circuit, like the Cree's... That ballast doesn't at all like hot re-strikes...
Correct, of course. I wasn't suggesting modulating HIDs or LEDs. Just commenting on visibility schemes in general.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:24 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Hey Markus, how's the shop/home remod going? The wifey prego yet? LOL

I'm a firm believer in headlight modulators (the circuit is direct fed via fused relay circuit with AWG12). I've stuck with the halogen for the headlight (albeit a 60/70w Osram) for exactly this reason. With the HL modulator and 6 diode LED Position Light ("Third Eye") plus occasionally my twin 50w halogen driving lights (also fused and relayed with AWG12 but given we only have 280W; i.e., 22 amps available to work with less the total OEM system draw of 13 amps), if any cager in front of me does not see me they are actually dead rather than the usual brain-dead!

HLM may be uncool but I'd rather be warm dork than a cold stiff.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:49 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
HLM may be uncool but I'd rather be warm dork than a cold stiff.
I wonder how effective they are, or if they get you the right kind of attention? From a purely curious perspective.

Where do these factors weigh in? As another motorist on the road (car, bike or whatever), headlight modulators get my attention, but often in a confusing way. Flashing lights usually means something more than "I'm just driving along like normal, but I'm a little smaller than you so pay attention". Usually people flash high beams to warn of dangers ahead, because your vehicle itself is not normal, as a safety vehicle needing to pass, or something along those lines. So when I see one I immediately think "what's wrong?" Don't misunderstand me, I'm all for bringing attention to yourself and safety, but not if it causes other people stress. There aren't enough people riding with them around here for everyone to know what they are (I'm sure of this). I wouldn't have if I weren't in the motorcycle community.

I don't have anything against them, and if they are significantly effective then I suppose I can't argue. It just seems like riding around with your horn on intermittently (aside from Joe forging the gauntlet of frozen NYC traffic frogger). I'm sure it's safer but at what cost? I'm not hard defending no HLM, but do wonder these things time to time. Everyone has a different level of safety comfort ... to be safest I'd ride around in full leathers from 10a 11-am on weekdays only, but that doesn't happen.

Slokie, you ever have anyone pull over for you or anything?
Old 01-28-2014, 11:20 AM
SuperBike

Sorry to Hyjack the thread

I once got stopped by a WI local yokel who did not know what a HLM was and thought something was wrong with the headlight. For this exact reason I carry with my insurance card the DOT statute that defines their operation and states they are legal in all 50 states.

I have run a HLM since 1988 and am a firm believer in their effectiveness and if DOT allows them then why not use them, similar to why I run a hard-wired radar detector.

And I have had ordinary cagers pull over or at least enough to let me ride by which I do carefully, and it is a time saver in traffic. Of course I also wear a "Super See-Me Vest" and my helmets are quite eye-catching too.

BTW, I added a FIAM Lo-Tone horn 180 degrees opposite the OEM horn; no relay required. Audible warnings can be effective but mostly so at low revs / MPH.
Attached Thumbnails Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-skokievtr-kabuto-helmet-01.jpg   Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-skokievtr-kabuto-helmet-03.jpg   Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-skokievtr-kabuto-helmet-04.jpg   Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-skokievtr-kabuto-helmet-06.jpg   Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-super-see-me-vest.jpg  

Last edited by skokievtr; 01-28-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:25 AM
SuperBike

Helmet without direct lighting shows reflective tape and decals as they would otherwise appear.
Attached Thumbnails Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-skokievtr-kabuto-helmet-02.jpg  
Old 01-28-2014, 01:57 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Skokie, does the modulator flash it all the time? Do they kill bulb life? I like your approach to conspicuity. Its probly 90% of the battle to not get hit.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:09 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 7moore7
headlight modulators get my attention, but often in a confusing way
I'm going to somewhat agree with 7moore. I agree that they do get peoples attention but IMO, in a negative way. I've only talked to the group of people that I know (+ ride with) and we all seem to have the same opinion. When you see a HLM, your eyes are drawn to it, and it creates target fixation. We all know what that is and what it does. Last thing I want is someone veering into my lane, fixated on my light and not what's in their lane of traffic. I'm not trying to start a pissing match. No one I've communicated w/ in person prefers the flashing headlight, but to each his own.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:24 PM
MotoGP

It seems the guys that lane split may see more benefit. I tried lane splitting for a bit some time ago (In theory I totally support the practice). Some locals here just don't handle that one well. Not enough people do it for them to be comfortable and I decided that riding with aggravated cagers and doors being opened on me wasn't worth it. Now in heavier traffic where people are more used to splitting motorbikes and less pointless F-250's commuting around I could possibly see modulation aiding lane splitting.

I'm also not trying to start a pissing match or anything, just pointing out things that make sense in the conditions that I ride.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:08 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Skokie, does the modulator flash it all the time? Do they kill bulb life? I like your approach to conspicuity. Its probly 90% of the battle to not get hit.
This is what I run now but when purchased it was $100

Kisan pathBlazer P115W-H3-HD - Headlight modulator (Heavy Duty) plug-n-play adapters : Amazon.com : Automotive Kisan pathBlazer P115W-H3-HD - Headlight modulator (Heavy Duty) plug-n-play adapters : Amazon.com : Automotive

If you read above I power with a fused, relayed (triggered by the OEM high beam switch) 12 AWG harness direct from an ignition switched power distribution strip I made.

The link to the manual below should answer all your questions but bulbs do not suffer because a proper HLM only dims it by 95% which makes the bulb appear to go out.

http://kisantech.com/mag/Images/manuals/PB.pdf

Originally Posted by Wolverine
I'm going to somewhat agree with 7moore. I agree that they do get peoples attention but IMO, in a negative way. I've only talked to the group of people that I know (+ ride with) and we all seem to have the same opinion. When you see a HLM, your eyes are drawn to it, and it creates target fixation. We all know what that is and what it does. Last thing I want is someone veering into my lane, fixated on my light and not what's in their lane of traffic. I'm not trying to start a pissing match. No one I've communicated w/ in person prefers the flashing headlight, but to each his own.
In the 25 years I've been running a HLM (and that equates to about 250,000 miles not km and I've been street riding since 1973) I have NEVER, EVER had a car, truck, bicycle or motorcycle apparently become fixated on my HLM equipped motorcycle and veer toward or into me! If anything the give me a wider birth, and as I said, occasionally move over and let me pass when I'm behind them.

If other road users don't like it, tough, let them take it up with the DOT.

I'm unequivocally convinced by my own and other riders road-tested miles that HLM save not only rider 's lives but likely often those who might otherwise have hit them.

I also run an LED license plate auxiliary brake light I made (current and superseded neon units shown), moved the OEM front turn signals/running lights to the rear (also visible in photo: I ran a 3rd wire to the rear for the R/L function and have good old LP Type 3 incandescent bulb - yellow lens TS/RL in the front), and have reflective tape on the fender, rear hard case and panniers (when attached). I must have a well lit rear end and I check my mirrors whenever stopped and leave myself an "out" ever since 1974 when I almost got rear-ended while waiting for the stop & go light on Delores St. at 20th (my garage was on 20th just 3 doors down) by a "low rider" screaming up Delores. He missed me by inches and table-topped 20th, nose-dived back into Delores fishtailing, and continued sparks flying up the hill. It was after 1 AM and they may have found my body in a median palm tree the next day!

Each to their own but I started out as a motorcycle courier in San Francisco and split lanes on the old 101 on my 61 BSA 250 single with its 6 volt Lucas electrical system. Lucas, Prince of Darkness LOL!

If I save just one life with this friendly advice, I'll be an even happier man.
Attached Thumbnails Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-p5290067.jpg   Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-p0003_110412.jpg  

Last edited by skokievtr; 01-28-2014 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:53 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
If other road users don't like it, tough, let them take it up with the DOT.
Haha, man you've been riding nearly as long as I've been alive!

While I'm not convinced either way, this quoted statement is one that I go back and forth on. Like I said before, being as safe as possible totally makes sense to me, but not if it means being a total ******* (not saying HLM is necessarily ). Like super loud pipes (mine are pretty loud too)... sure they may be safer, but if at some point you're just ticking everyone off wherever you go, it's not really justifying the hobby; where is the line for personal recreational safety and being an unnecessary social nuisance?

All that being said, I'm definitely not against HLM, just like playing devil's advocate on forums at the risk of being taken too seriously. Decision is pretty easy for me using an HID projector, so I don't have to even apply any of my ramblings for this bike .

Quick Reply: Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.