Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Squid

LuvmyVTR is on a distinguished road
Signal Dynamics | Signal Dynamics Corporation 1-800-785-1814 | Motorcycle Safety Lights | Break Light Signal Module | Motorcycle LED Lighting | Signal Dynamics - Creator of BackOFF
^ if you scroll down to the bottom of the page youll see they toggle how they toggle.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Squid

That One Guy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MOONSTER
Here's a view of my tail, er, my bikes tail. The tail lights & blinkers were intergated with the undertail. I added the brake strobe. Front blinkers are flush mounts. Not the best for visibility, but i always ride as if no one can see me anyway.
PLEASE give me a link for those tail lights and what kind of modification you did to your tail to make it look so smooth.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Squid

That One Guy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
So it will do something like this Superhawk lights and speedo - YouTube
Saw on your youtube that you did a cbr600rr dash swap. Do you have a guide for this? I have been wanting to do that for awhile. Already have the 07 cbr dash set up to install from my girlfriend’s previous bike.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:35 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
For the swap, you better really be committed and take you time. All the wires correspond but you need the temp sensor from the dash.

You also need a fuel tank float. You can use the 2nd gen vtr float (way easy) or do what I did and get the cbr float and graft it in. (thats the real hard part). You are dealing with wiring inside the gas tank and sealing the bottom of the tank so alot at risk.

The vtr float has a different resistance range so you will never get the whole number of dash bars to work, which I wouldnt be happy with so plastic welded my own float.

Look up my thread on here about it. I think I tell all. I do recommend getting stock type connectors so you can unplug the whole dash and replug the stocker.

I cant tell you what an improvement it is having digital speedo, clock and temp, and forget about how nice a fuel guage is. I also since added an ambient air temp thermo and voltage/charging guage.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:14 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
This is where I found the stock vtr style connectors since the cbr uses different ones. Corsa Technic Motorsport, Motorcycle Connectors

Also the temp sensor plug can be found there or at eastern beaver online
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
I have an integrated tail light but haven't had time to put it on... bike is a work in progress right now
Attached Thumbnails Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-a2.jpg   Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-a3.jpg   Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.-a4.jpg  
Old 03-17-2013, 07:45 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
After losing an auction on a pair of CBR1000 rear turns I found a set of CBR250 turns for next to nothing. I liked them, but thought it could be better. Another set of 1000 turns came up for auction.

CBR250 on left, 1000 on the right

Both sides with CBR1000 turns

The 250 turns wiring was plug and play. The mounting required some fiddling with washers to get bolted up. The 1000 turns bolted up perfectly, but they have HC050 connectors. The turns came with both sides of the connectors and about 6" of wire to where it had been cut. I added a 3.5mm bullet connector on the end of that length and that plugs directly into the stock SH harness.
The wire on the 1000 turns is really small, maybe 22g. Makes me wonder if the rest of the CBR1000 wiring is tiny as well.

No, that's not a crack in the right mirror. It's a reflection of a tree branch,
Old 08-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
Front turn signals???

OK, I have the crappy old Lockhart aftermarket front turn signals on the Hawk.

I hate them.

I purchased ebay mirrors with turn signals built in, but I have to decide what to do with the stock mount point holes.

I'm looking for nicer turn signals to put back on in place of these, something flush-ish, or a good block-off plate idea.

Pictures of your suggestions are great!!

Last edited by FTL900; 10-01-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
I have just left mine open. Doesn't look bad.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:59 PM
Squid

02MONSTERHAWK
Protons are awesome with the strobe...
Old 12-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
Watsen Design. The best by far.
Watsen Design LED Signals
Old 12-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Superstock

I never found any good block-off options that I liked, so I searched around and found these for $12 on ebay:

The fairing is currently off, so I haven't mounted them up yet, but they do look good and cover the hole nicely while not sticking out.
And I'm not sure how noticeable the mirror signals will be from different angles.

I already have a flasher replacement waiting in the toolbox, so flashing speed wont be a problem.

Last edited by FTL900; 12-06-2013 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Remove snarky remarks
Old 12-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
I have a thread on here that shows you how to make leds work as running lights. (2 to 3 wire converston) its like $4 of materials.
Linky linky??
Old 12-05-2013, 10:46 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Can you post up the link for those blinkers?
Old 12-05-2013, 10:47 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Convert 2 wire signals to 3 Wire Inputs - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners
Old 12-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Superstock

You can get them in red or in yellow, depending on placement. Like I said, I haven't tried mine yet, but they do cover the hole well and look... minimalist, not obtrusive.

Yellow.

Red.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Superstock

Here is the flasher required for LED turn signals. It's $8.95 plus shipping, and on my Bandit, I unplugged the OEM flasher wiring and plugged this right in. Then your signals work right again. No wire cutting or crimping required.

Edit: Minimal wiring changes were required on the SH. My Bandit was a straight plug-n-play connection.

LF1-S-FLAT Universal Motorcycle Electronic Flasher | Car Bulb Installation Supplies | LED Car Bulbs | Super Bright LEDs

Last edited by FTL900; 01-13-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Superstock

Since there is interest in these turn signals, I figured I better plug them in and see if they're worthwhile.

The longest side of the signal is right at 4 inches long. I have them mounted up on my Superhawk working with the cheap turn signal mirrors on ebay.
The idea is to use both at the same time for more exposure in traffic. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.

Here's how it looks with the mirror signal and the flush mount signal mounted.

I'm actually quite surprised how much light the flush mount kicks out to the front.
I kinda put the lighted mirrors on because I wasn't real confident about the flush mount visibility to the front.

(ignore the slight movement in the picture.... I had my Android on burst to catch the signals while lit, and Google+ stitched them together into an MP4 animation for me.)

It really kicks out a lot of light in every direction, so I'm very pleased, and may order another pair of these for my VFR, which has OEM flush mount signals the size of Mt Rushmore.

Note: If you mount these mirrors up, be sure to include a polarized plug or bullet connectors in the wiring, so you can remove them when the fairing comes off.
One other note is they're not real tight. I'm in the habit of hanging my helmet on the mirror, and when I do it with these, the mirror sags. I'll look into tightening it up.

I also added the previously mentioned Super Brite LEDs to the dash. The SH takes 9, but I goofed and only ordered 8. Anyway, it's much brighter with a faint bluish tint.
My VFR has the same bulbs (only 5 of them), and it was previously a very dim dash at night- bordering on unreadable except studying it closely while at a stoplight.

(Yes, I cleaned my gauge faces right after this picture)

Here's a link to the LED lights. $2.59 plus minimal shipping. I chose the first color option, the light blue with the wide 90 angle for maximum gauge lighting.

Last edited by FTL900; 01-26-2014 at 06:19 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:45 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
With permission from both original posters, I merged 2 threads. There is a lot of info contained within, so I decided to combine and sticky 1 thread in an effort to organize info. I would also like to edit out some non essential posts 32, 36, 39, 41, 42, 43, 54,55. If anyone has objections, please reply. Like stated, I'm just trying to streamline the thread. If you feel your post needs to be restored, lmk and I will.

Also a big thank you to everyone that contributed here. +1 for keeping all the pics in their original locations so everyone to continue to see them.

Last edited by Wolverine; 12-06-2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:48 AM
Superstock

Feel free to move, edit, combine, or delete anything non-essential from me, including this post.

I'm all about getting the information to be logical and legible. (I'm a writer by trade in the IT dept.)
Old 01-13-2014, 05:51 PM
Superstock

My post above is updated. I accidentally deleted some of the linked pictures, so I have replaced them with the current images showing mounting and operation.

3 separate purchases; the mirrors, the flush mount turn signals, and the dash lights, and I'm very pleased with each of them. I expect I'll probably buy another mirror set for my VFR, and maybe even clone the flush mount signals over to it as well.

My name is Michael, and I approve this message.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:39 PM
Squid

2wheelsagain is on a distinguished road

This is a great thread and a mod I’d like to do soon.
Firstly I’d just like my standard indicators to flash when Iflicked the switch!
Sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t. All connectionsare tight and well earthed. There doesn’t seem to be a pattern to them workingor not although the LH side works more consistently than the right.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:30 PM
Squid

Myhairym0nk3y is on a distinguished road
http://www.hidkitsxenonlights.com/ho...dlights-bulbs/

Found these anyone use these. They say it fits the SHawk. Would you still need the eagerbeaver kit still?
Old 01-18-2014, 01:32 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by Myhairym0nk3y

Found these anyone use these. They say it fits the SHawk. Would you still need the eagerbeaver kit still?
Also who can tell me what the stock headlight is?
9003 or HB2 bulb can be referenced to H4.
HB1 bulb can be referenced to 9004.
HB3 bulb can be referenced to 9005.
HB4 bulb can be referenced to 9006.
HB5 bulb can be referenced to 9007.
9008 bulb can be referenced to H13.
9145 bulb can be referenced to H10.
5202 bulb can be referenced to H16.
880 bulb can be referenced to other 800 series bulbs.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:41 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Stock bulb is an H4. You don't want to plop an HID bulb into a stock VTR reflector and be done. Do some searching, you'll find pictures of the results.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:12 PM
Squid

Wolverine why can't you just use the hid kit for the SH? The Web site I found has the kit says it works for a SH. Below is the kit I found let me know any feed back what mods would I need to do to the housing?
Old 01-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Squid

So everyone is saying to use a HID kit for the standard SH light housing you need to buy a new projector/reflector? Anyone have a link to what this will be. The whole bike is ready to go back together but waiting on the upgrades for the headlight. Please help your guys rock!
Old 01-20-2014, 01:20 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Retrofit kit/bulb/ballast from an excellent source:
Bi-xenon: Sportbike Stage I Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

The reason this is needed is that HID and halogen bulbs emit light in a completely different manner, so a reflector designed for one will not work for another. The projector is a unit that is physically put into your housing (read: more DIY involved than just splicing some wires).

Plenty of other threads discussing this.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:32 PM
Squid

Oh man I starting to get over my head I think. Anyone out there charging to do this I'll pay
Old 01-20-2014, 05:22 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
I'll do yours for $2500 / no time guarantee. I'll make all my mistakes on yours before doing my own.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Show me your lights, tail lights, turn signals. What works what doesn't.