Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Seats: Corbin, Sargent vs stocker mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 11:57 AM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
Seats: Corbin, Sargent vs stocker mods

I just got a Corbin with backrest off eBay, and I can't figure out how to adjust the backrest for my wife. I bought it for her...as I already have a Sargent. She thinks the back section is more comfortable. Any ideas on adjusting...mine looks "fixed"?
BTW, does anyone else have a Sargent? How do you think it compares with the Corbin for comfort?
I'm thinking of going to a local upholsterer & having them modify a stocker for more passenger comfort (gel padding, wider, etc.). It's probably either more comfort or a move to a VFR or ST1100 or something else.
Thanks,
Andy
Old 10-18-2014, 12:21 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
Like they say, some people have Shoei heads and some people have Arai heads, I think some people have Corbin butts and some people have Sargent butts. I find my Sargent very comfortable. I have no personal riding experience with Corbin , but sitting on them they seem very hard. I've read comments from others saying the same.

Seems the most important factor of any aftermarket seat or seat modification is improved support. Stock seats just seem so often to miss that mark.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:43 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
This is something we are thinking about as we are about to start pillioning on my bike. My partner had a big motorcycle crash 2 years ago which has left her with an unhealed multiple pelvic fracture.

I have just bought a spare seat and am wondering how hard it is to widen the pillion seat. To spread the load as it were. I also want to raise both the rider and pillion seats at the front as I slide into the tank and the pillion seat dips at the front also.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:06 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
My Corbin backrest is not adjustable. It's either in the seat or out.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:48 PM
Back Marker

slo1 is on a distinguished road
Sargent all the way If the backrest is adjustable it will have a small allen in the back lower part of the backrest pad itself. If it's there, loosen it and the top of the pad should move for different angles.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:04 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I've seen write-ups by pro motorcycle seat builders and remember them saying that what makes a nice chair or couch does not make a good seat foam wise.

Just be aware of that if you ask an upholsterer to build one. The foam needs to be way more dense to avoid pressure points.

Also if the backrest is wrong you could alter that padding to put it into position. I always wanted one of those backrests since I have the corbin but my wife likes the givi topcase as a bacrest. I put a dainese racing back protector in here jacket so it gives here whole back support when she leans back.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:00 AM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
I've had 2 corbins, 1 on a Blackbird another on a concours and 1 seargent on vtr. Will never buy a Corbin again
Old 10-19-2014, 05:06 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
I have two corbins, one on the VTR and one on my ST1100. I have to say, I don't like them. They are too wide and they cut off circulation to my left leg/hip area I'm a 200lb man with an 80 year old womans skeletal structure I have the corbin's for the backrest for mom but I'm actually more comfortable on the narrower stock seats than I am on a Corbin only because of the circulation issue. My *** does prefer the foam in the corbin seat and I would take their foam and leather in stock seat shape any day of the week.

And no I won't part with the corbin on the VTR but I'd sell the whole bike
Old 10-19-2014, 06:34 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Been stated before. I thing the corbin LOOKS really nice. I hate that they all fit like ****, both on the bike and every one I've had had to be trimmed to make the solo cowl not stick up off the tail fairing. They're also BOAT ANCHORS. The Sargent fits like stock and the solo cowl also fits perfect, plus they're light like stock. I've had a couple Corbin backrests and they are adjustable. You need to find the allen screw and you can adjust the angle of the pad.
Old 10-19-2014, 08:17 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
every one I've had had to be trimmed to make the solo cowl not stick up off the tail fairing.
Capt, I've never trimmed anything & I think it fits fine. I certainly wouldn't want it to touch paint below.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:59 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
No it wont touch, they all end up sticking up too high (the seat itself) and it creates an unsightly gap between the solo cowl and the tail fairing. Every one I've had has been that way (and just about every one I've seen a picture of has too). I've had to trim the rubber bumpers down a little on the bottom of the seat and made it fit fine. Not a HUGE deal but I don't expect to have to do that kind of stuff when they charge what they charge for these things...
Old 11-16-2015, 09:13 PM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
I prefer the angle of the cowl on the Sargent...looks like a stocker.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Superstock

FTL900 is on a distinguished road
I've had 4 Corbins, and I'm on my second Sargent. Hated all the Corbin seats.
Altho there is an adjustable backrest on Amazon for that Corbin. I bought one and it worked just fine, and it's under $70.