Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Plastics repair and paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 07:15 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
AND HERE IT IS! Last night a few buddies and I put her together. The mirrors and front turn signals are the last things that need to go on.

Final count for labor and paint: five coats of primer, four coats of base, three coats of yellow and three coats of clear.
Total man hours outside of the booth: 50+ hours
Total man hours in booth: 15 hours (including bake times in between coats and striping)

So... What do you all think?
Old 05-31-2013, 09:40 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Hey, that turned out pretty damn nice! Good job man!
Old 05-31-2013, 11:36 PM
SuperSport

jerryh is on a distinguished road
Nice job, old school!
Old 06-01-2013, 12:33 PM
Superstock

Thanks! I was going for the older look, I love the cafe racer style and this paint was the closest I could go without going with the Yamaha racing (which I don't like much anyway).
Old 06-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Superstock

Got the mirrors on yesterday and did a quick 15mi shake down ride to work and back. No cracks developed and no peeling or flaking of the paint either. The combination of the new bars and the slightly altered fork position made for a much more responsive bike too. Not sure if its just in my head but I feel a difference. Life is good.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:16 PM
Superstock

First two scratches are in... One on the tank for unknown reasons and a nice scrap/gash on the very bottom from unloading off a trailer (thankfully you have to be under it to see the damage) it's a daily driver, scratches are expected right?...
Old 08-01-2013, 05:03 AM
Squid

tjayswift
Nice work!
Old 08-01-2013, 07:03 AM
Superstock

insulinboy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by KCCO
First two scratches are in... One on the tank for unknown reasons and a nice scrap/gash on the very bottom from unloading off a trailer (thankfully you have to be under it to see the damage) it's a daily driver, scratches are expected right?...
I'm sorry. One of the guys on my YZF forum does paint professionally and we always joke that he has to drop the plastics on the ground before he ships them back to people to get the obligatory first scratches out of the way so we don't have to wreck the bikes to get them.

I feel that way about my truck, its a truck and the bed is full of scratches, gouges, and digs because I use it.. but damn those first ones hurt pretty bad

Also, I dont know you, but I had been riding for forever, some big bikes and some small, but I didn't get my first sportbike (a 600) till I was 22, and I know that I did some incredibly stupid **** on it before some friends helped me see the light and almost turning myself into a source of parts on e-bay. The hawk has a whole lot more potential for stupid than my YZF did and at 30 I know the temptation is still going to be there to be retarded from time to time. If you don't have proper gear, do some research and find some. Trust me, I can say from experience that its well worth the money spent

Last edited by insulinboy; 08-01-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:54 AM
Superstock

Insulinboy: I completely agree about the scratches, my daily driver is a 92 blazer w/ 244k mi and dings and dents but it runs great so who cares! I cannot agree more about protective gear. Going a little off thread, but relevant to your post; When I got by first bike, a 95 XR250L, I had spent equal parts on the bike and gear. Went Dianese Portland 2 jacket, carbon cover gloves, and a Shoei VFX-W helmet, as pay checks allowed (and riding experience and quantity increased) upgraded to a Shoei RF-1100 and AGV GP-Tech, dainese textile riding pants w/ 360 zipper and a pair of TRQ pro riding boots, and just yesterday added a used Avro 1-piece to the collection. I know this does me no good unless I actually wear it. Minimum to ride is long non melt-able pants, boots, gloves, jacket, and helmet. If I know I'm going a longer distance or more spirited I add the textile pants etc. I'm 100% on the ATGATT, bike are a hell of a lot easier to replace.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:35 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
old thread coming back to life.

kcco, how are those drag bars working out?

very nice work on that paint job
Old 09-13-2016, 08:45 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
The eternal optimist. It's been a year and a half since his last post.
Who knows? Stranger things have happened.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:18 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
lol, i guess! i didn't stalk the guy! lol