Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Gsxr tail section on Hawk

Old 06-19-2016, 11:17 AM
Squid

rktdoc is on a distinguished road
Gsxr tail section on Hawk

Doing a lot of changes to my bike, and have been lusting over the Aprilia Tuono tail another member put on his street fighter build. Only thing is they are expensive, and hard to find.
I have noticed the 09 up gsxr look very similar, and can be found with affordability.
Not sure if it will fit our sub frame though. Have any of the members here tried one with success?
Not in to the hooligan street fighter look, and ride with passenger occasionally.
Any other ideas or suggestions for a clean naked bike build?
Old 06-19-2016, 11:23 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Unless you possess welding skills, it's not going to happen. They don't line up and the Superhawk frame is too large to fit the GSXR tailpiece. You need to either modify the GSXR subframe to mount to the frame (probably using adapters) of the superhawk or completely modify the stock subframe.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:50 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by Just_Nick
Unless you possess welding skills, it's not going to happen. They don't line up and the Superhawk frame is too large to fit the GSXR tailpiece. You need to either modify the GSXR subframe to mount to the frame (probably using adapters) of the superhawk or completely modify the stock subframe.
BTW did you ever get it to work on yours or did you can the idea?

OK appreciate that. May do the Ducati biposto tail as another member done on here. Didn't seem too bad, and a more aggressive look than ours have.

Last edited by rktdoc; 06-19-2016 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Further info
Old 06-19-2016, 02:31 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Originally Posted by rktdoc
BTW did you ever get it to work on yours or did you can the idea?

OK appreciate that. May do the Ducati biposto tail as another member done on here. Didn't seem too bad, and a more aggressive look than ours have.
Due to the amount of work, and the fact that I was given the tail for free, I simply trashed the idea. The material wasn't ideal to work with for welding modification, and I certainly didn't want to go through the trouble with narrowing the stock subframe
Old 07-06-2016, 05:00 AM
erno
Back Marker

erno is on a distinguished road
I mated the 05 cbt tail using the the rear cbr subframe,as said you will have to,or know someone with alloy welding skills.Name:  SAM_1040_zpsd9b0845a.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  114.6 KB
Old 07-06-2016, 05:28 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Unless you possess welding skills, it's not going to happen.
So much negativity.
I possess zero welding skills but managed to accomplish this mod to my Hawk.
Name:  P250414_1634_01.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  87.3 KB
Name:  P250414_1633.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  80.5 KB

So to the original poster, don't give up. There are people who possess the required skills that have places they will do the work for you called businesses. I'm sure it won't be hard to find one. I cut off the 929 swinger brace and filed/grinded the crap out of it till it fit the way I wanted, then took it to a local guy who did the welding for a relatively small fee. Job done.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:12 PM
Squid

Thanks, I havent given up just looking for the route with least fuss, and trying stay within budget!
Ive got a couple customers that work building high zoot spec ops military stuff, so welding and machining can be handled.
I love my ol gal, but I dont want spend what I could go and buy a Tuono R for.
Really like looks of the sp2 swinger but geez those bikes worth more scrapped than they were new off floor.So yeah, the 900 brace is it unless I can fit a ktm rc8 arm.
Its shaped right, has a 20mm pivot bolt, but cant find dimensions anywhere.
I may do the CBR tail though, found pics of a rc51 naked looks really good with it.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:30 PM
MotoGP

Erno's pic is one of the best looking Superhawks on the planet IMO. Tail looks awesome but I'm not a fan of belly pans on them.

Name:  SAM_1040_zpsd9b0845a.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  114.6 KB
Old 07-06-2016, 08:52 PM
erno
Back Marker

erno is on a distinguished road
Thankyou Wolverine,this site inspired me to do the mods to my bike,but alas red is no more .I stripped all the mods that was done to it ,and sold it to fund my hawk fighter.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:06 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Wolverine
So much negativity.
I possess zero welding skills but managed to accomplish this mod to my Hawk.

So to the original poster, don't give up. There are people who possess the required skills that have places they will do the work for you called businesses. I'm sure it won't be hard to find one. I cut off the 929 swinger brace and filed/grinded the crap out of it till it fit the way I wanted, then took it to a local guy who did the welding for a relatively small fee. Job done.
It was not negativity, it was simply the truth. There's a very big difference between welding an easily-weldable swingarm and welding the cast-metal (if I remember correctly, it's aluminum) parts that the GSX-R subframe is made of. I didn't want the OP to waste time or money on it, seeing that I went down the very same road. I wasn't saying it was impossible, just that it will require a decent amount of work, more suitable for someone that works in a fab shop and has access to a TIG welder. Nothing really lines up, and there is not a lot of surface in the back due to the cross-bracing and weight reduction methods used on it. The two upper mounts were a bit closer, the lower mounts were not. Attempting to weld links to back of the subframe side rails would not work very well, as the lack of material would hinder proper welding. The best bet would have to be to use only the very back part of the subframe, then bending custom tube or plate to match up with the rear part of the GSX-R subframe, but that would require you to find a custom way to mount your battery, the tail pieces, the underside tray, the ECU, etc.

This is not a simple weld on a swingarm, something even a complete beginner could do after watching a Youtube video and doing a couple practice passes, or bring to a shop for a small fee. I know I rustled your jimmies multiple times, but calm down. There's a reason I said it, I would have gone into depth if he inquired as to know why I said it.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:29 PM
MotoGP

it was simply the truth.
Wrong again