Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

FIberglass cloth. Mold making questions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 12:52 AM
Superstock

RedStormJ is on a distinguished road
FIberglass cloth. Mold making questions.

EDIT: Answered my own question. Yes it does take more resin for mat I should have used 2 liters. Mold came out ok I have some spots that need patching. due to not having enough resin but it came out nice otherwise.
It has been a few years and in general the parts I have made with glass have been small besides my boat but that was gallons of the stuff. I can only buy the small cans of resin at the local place I believe they are just a liter. I though half a can would cover the tank. I ran out!!!!

Does fiberglass cloth soak up way more like 2 times the resin mat does or did I apply wrong. I tried some techniques I saw online from some good looking parts. I never used the dabbing technique before and that seemed to help I also used to just dip my mat in resin and squeegie it out with either a roller a spreader card or brush. I wanted to go three layers on some pretty heavy matt but I ended up in the 1 to two range. all big surfaces are two but some of the details are a single layer and I am afraid to pull it off the tank. I also tried hair spray over my wax as usually I do this over foam or a smooth steel sheet or tape but the tank is big and I wanted it smooth. I ended up having the resin run away from the tank when I did my gel coat. I also didnt do gel coats before and it has cause me hours of filling and pain.

Last edited by RedStormJ; 11-02-2016 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 01:22 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Red, I mentioned it in another thread, but you really should read the book "Competition Car Composites" by Simon McBeath.

I personally really like the book, because he tells you how to do things in the simplest terms. Very, very easy to understand. He makes some parts in a shack out in his backyard.

I know you have this project, which you want completed as fast as possible, but being in the same shoes as you, take a step back, fill your grey matter with new knowledge and then tackle your project. It will save you hours or possibly days of frustration.

EDIT: I know money is tight, so I found you a way to download the book for FREE. Subscribe, download the book, then unsubscribe.
https://6484b655-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites....attredirects=0

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 11-02-2016 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Addin' schtuff
Old 11-02-2016, 09:48 PM
Superstock

RedStormJ is on a distinguished road
Thanks again. PM sent. Mold is repaired. I will give it a detailed read before I mold up anything as my life is on the line being that the tail holds my rear end off the tire. Wish I could take pictures. The mold of the tank its self came out great!