Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Engine paint color match

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 10:23 PM
Squid

rktdoc is on a distinguished road
Engine paint color match

I have several areas on my engine cases and covers that Degreaser peeled the paint off. Anyone found a match that is readily available to the first generation crank case and covers?
Old 07-09-2016, 05:23 AM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
I searched for months, bought every rattle can that looked close and never found paint that matched either the engine block, cylinders, or covers. Quick tip though don't use alkaline based cleaners. They tend to get into any little pit in powdercoat and oxidize the aluminum below the growing oxidation then pushes the powder coat off the surface... I finally picked a color I like and next week will have all my covers blasted and re-powdered...
Old 07-09-2016, 09:09 PM
Squid

rktdoc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Fastguy59
I searched for months, bought every rattle can that looked close and never found paint that matched either the engine block, cylinders, or covers. Quick tip though don't use alkaline based cleaners. They tend to get into any little pit in powdercoat and oxidize the aluminum below the growing oxidation then pushes the powder coat off the surface... I finally picked a color I like and next week will have all my covers blasted and re-powdered...
Thanks I found some duplicolor today looks close to the color. Going to try it with a matte clear coat, see if that does it.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:13 AM
Superstock

Post pix when you are done interested to see how your project evolves
Old 07-11-2016, 03:20 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
www.vtr1000.org ? View topic - Engine Paint Colour.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:40 AM
Superstock

I went all through those codes on the thread, they don't mean a thing to anyone unless you have a paint manufacturers name and or a year/make/model of the vehicle they were applied to... Partial info is useless info... Sent scans out to 7 powder manufactures no one had a stock product that matched, to get custom blended powder you have to buy 50-60#. IMHO paint is a waste of time on either wheels or case covers it just doesn't hold up...
Damn you Honda! Lol!
Old 07-11-2016, 06:05 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Well I simply went to a paint factors shop ( Paint matching experts in Colchester from Gramic Supplies ) 5 minutes up the road with a '97 engine casing and 10 minutes later left with a matching rattle can. It's not rocket science.

Sorry you think the groundwork I did was useless
Old 07-12-2016, 05:55 AM
Superstock

[QUOTE=Wicky;397416]Well I simply went to a paint factors shop ( Paint matching experts in Colchester from Gramic Supplies ) 5 minutes up the road with a '97 engine casing and 10 minutes later left with a matching rattle can. It's not rocket science.
Sorry you think the groundwork I did was useless [/

Wicky, let me apologize if I peed on your sneakers, my back is severely out of whack this week and everything I do and say is colored by the grumpy, pissed off individual I become when it is acting up... That said, I don't think the groundwork was useless at all, but info was missing from the original thread of where and how you obtained the paint. Also I'm worlds away from your source and I have not found anyone in New England that custom loads rattle cans. Best you can get is a pint of unreduced paint to then mix with reducer and load into a aerosol charge glass bottle spray bombs or touch up gun. I did not have a spare engine block or casing to take down to a auto parts supplier to try for a match either. I applaude your resourcefulness sir! Peace!

Last edited by Fastguy59; 07-14-2016 at 05:11 PM.