Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Bought indicator mirrors, what to do with my side fairings?

Old 06-29-2016, 02:11 PM
Squid

The Stig is on a distinguished road
Bought indicator mirrors, what to do with my side fairings?

As the title says, just bought some indicator mirrors because I wasn't very impressed with the selection of flush mount indicators. Besides, having the indicators way up at the mirrors should be better as far as safety goes.

The big question then: is there any aftermarket side fairings without the indicator holes in them, or do I need to get some fiberglass and block the holes myself? Did some light googling, but I don't really know what to search for as I don't know what every different part is called in english...
I did not find any side fairings, only full race fairings which isn't really an option.

What would you do?
Old 06-29-2016, 02:25 PM
Superstock

Hangfly is on a distinguished road
Maybe some hand crafted blank covers from carbon fiber?
Do they have something like that for race bikes?
Old 06-29-2016, 04:29 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
You could install some flush mounts as unimpressive as they may be and run them along with the turns in the mirrors.

BTW, what mirrors did you go with? I've been looking for signal mirrors that will work on the SH, but have yet to find any that I find impressive.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:30 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
I knew I was going to run turn signals/running lights elsewhere, so I filled in the holes in the sides of the fairings with pieces of plastic from another set of crappy fairings, which was then formed to the curvature of fairings and then plastic welded in place. A little flexible filler, and primer and it is ready for paint.

I think as far as mirrors that fit our bikes go, the best looking mirrors with indicators so far is from the GSXR. I found the mirrors need to be from Suzuki, not eBay or Amazon knockoffs. The knockoffs don't work as well and they just look and feel cheap.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 06-30-2016 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Addin' info!
Old 06-30-2016, 04:54 PM
Back Marker

jefejrs is on a distinguished road
Sharkskinz - VTR1000
Old 07-01-2016, 04:12 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
HONDA-VTR-1000-VTR1000-BLACK-BILLET-MIRROR-BLOCK-OFF
Old 07-01-2016, 07:39 AM
Squid

Will probably go with some flush mounts in addition to the mirrors, will SP-1 or SP-2 lights fit?
Old 07-01-2016, 08:02 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTR1000F
You could install some flush mounts as unimpressive as they may be and run them along with the turns in the mirrors.

BTW, what mirrors did you go with? I've been looking for signal mirrors that will work on the SH, but have yet to find any that I find impressive.
That is exactly the way I went. Used Proton flush mounts. Adds alot of extra visibility, and cleanly covers the hole.
GSXR 750 or 1k have a shape that is complimentary to the SH. Scraped the Suzuki brackets and used the mounting brackets from Chinese Fazer knock-offs. There is some grinding to do on the mirror stem and mount to get the right angle. If I can do it, it's not that hard.

Originally Posted by The Stig
Will probably go with some flush mounts in addition to the mirrors, will SP-1 or SP-2 lights fit?
Yes, the ones for an RC51 fit just fine.
You will need to do the two to three wire mod, unless the mirrors are three wire.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:22 AM
Squid

I was gonna connect them in parallel with the mirrors, there's no need for marker lights here in Norway.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:19 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by The Stig
I was gonna connect them in parallel with the mirrors, there's no need for marker lights here in Norway.
Just looked at the wiring diagram for a Firestorm. I had no idea that the turns are not marker lights also.
Show and tell your mirror mod when done.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:20 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
You still need some actual turn signals even with the mirrors mounts. You want to increase your visual profile every chance you get.

I wired my front signals to always be on as marker lights as well as my mirror lights. The very first ride I could easily notice cars seeing me and getting out of the way. An added bonus.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:30 PM
MotoGP

Use these indicators 1pair Motorcycle Universal Triangle Flush Mount LED Turn Signal Light Sale - Banggood.com
Old 07-04-2016, 08:38 PM
erno
Back Marker

erno is on a distinguished road
As CruxGNZ has said ,just use similar plastic comes up ok...
Name:  SAM_1040_zpsd9b0845a.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  114.6 KB
Old 07-06-2016, 04:50 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by xeris
Just looked at the wiring diagram for a Firestorm. I had no idea that the turns are not marker lights also.
Show and tell your mirror mod when done.
That's right, no marker lights here in EU (that I know of).
Have already ordered some flush mounts for SP-1 and got my mosfet SP-1 Rectifier today, this will be good I think.
Imported a Lexus SC400 from California two years ago, I personally don't like the looks of the marker lights at all but I can't legally remove them because we have some seriously idiotic regulations over here. But that's a topic for another forum :P

The mirrors are already mounted on the bike and they look really good, also got some tiny LED blinkers in the rear instead of buying an integrated tail light(?) with indicator function because of the obviously better visibility of external indicators. The LED tail lights looks very good though , even with a slightly tinted finish, it's super bright.

I will probably remove the stock rear fender/mudguard thingy and make a custom plate/indicator mount instead, this way I can tilt the plate a bit upwards and mount the indicators closer to the tail light, I'm using the stock mounting holes atm.
When this bike is done, it will look very nice, I think I will paint it Candy Kobalt Blue with a few extra layers of clearcoat for that really deep blue shine. It will also really stand out in traffic wich is a nice safety bonus.

A lot of metal parts will be powdercoated as well to get a Black/Blue combo most likely. The bike is already black/red stock, but there is some corrosion on the rims and other small parts, so I will need to sandblast them and recoat them, that will be a nice way to kill time during the winter.

Any thoughts and suggestions about mods and cosmetics in general are of course appreciated.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:12 PM
Squid

wmorphis is on a distinguished road
Hey, can I ask what type of mirrors with the integrated turn signals? and where you got them from? I've been looking for them to fit mine, and can't find one with good reviews.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:00 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by wmorphis
Hey, can I ask what type of mirrors with the integrated turn signals? and where you got them from? I've been looking for them to fit mine, and can't find one with good reviews.
You can find what you're looking for all day long on ebay. Chinese, and as you are finding little to no info on whether they are worth a S***. The big issue, for me, is anything that is universal is/may not be at the right angle/position when bolted on. That is if the mount even has the same bolt spacing as the SH.
Suzuki GSX-R mirrors are decent quality, taking into account that they are Suzuki parts. There are chinese knock-offs, a pair for about what you would pay for one used OEM. The mounts will not fit (bolt spacing is too wide) and if they did, the angle is not even close. See my post a few back.
Looks like erno has GSX mirrors. You might ask how he resolved the mount issue.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:53 AM
MotoGP

I used gsxr mirrors for a while. You have to fab an angled bracket to mount them. I prefer my 900rr mirrors with LED strips on them. They are shorter but more stable and clearer.

I use these leds wired with a diode inline to make them full time running lights as well as turn signals.

2 AMBER BRIGHT 6 inch 18 LED Waterproof Flexible Light Strip BLACK PCB board | eBay

I have a post on here that shows how I mounted the gsxr mirrors.