AirTech hugger install

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 07:16 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
AirTech hugger install

So I decided the SH needed some love.
Chain lube and dirt with any rain riding at all were making a hell of a mess.
Airtech makes a handmade hugger for the 900RR, which is what donated the brace for my swingarm.
So a quick order and 5 weeks later, I got this

The piece was definitely hand made and a bit rough.

Gelcoat had scratches and cracks from mold release

and fit was, well, in need of work.
Attached Thumbnails AirTech hugger install-hugger-airtech-overall.jpg   AirTech hugger install-choppy-lines.jpg   AirTech hugger install-gel-coat.jpg   AirTech hugger install-test-fit-rear.jpg  
Old 08-18-2015, 07:21 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Trimmed, painted, installed

After test fit, trimming the sides and front to fit..
Drilling and tapping the brace and hugger for 4 M6 aluminum socket head fasteners the hugger was primed, went sanded and sprayed black.
Then installed with 3M ultra body moulding tape and the four screws.

Not sure I like it in black. Think it'll go to my painter and see if he has some red left from when he painted my fairings. Sure will be nice not to have chain lube all over the place. And dirt flung everywhere when i ride though even a bit of water.
Attached Thumbnails AirTech hugger install-painted-installed.jpg   AirTech hugger install-rear-instaled.jpg   AirTech hugger install-left-side-installed-2.jpg   AirTech hugger install-al-socket-head-screws.jpg  
Old 08-18-2015, 07:42 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I ran one of these for a few years (before switching to a carbon unit) and was quite pleased with it.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:02 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Nicely done.
I'm surprised that you didn't use tamper resistant screws.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:40 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
You did an awesome job mounting that hugger. I like the fasteners you used. Personally, I think it looks good in black. Red might be too much red on your bike.

I didn't have the issues you had with yours. The gel coat looked great and the edges were cut straight. I was expecting mine to look more like yours actually. It really didn't matter since we both were expecting to do work to the piece.

I just threw some tape on there real quick to give an idea how it's being cut. I don't like the chain gaurd, so that's being removed and some material on the other side to make it symmetrical. I also thought there was too much hangin over the tire, so that's being trimmed back as well.

I was going to use some nylon two piece fasteners to mount it, but I really like the way you did yours. I might go that route.

My brace hasn't even been welded onto my swingarm yet, so I have a ways to go.

Name:  20150819_144717.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  442.5 KB

Name:  20150819_145336.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  350.8 KB

Name:  20150819_145351.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  344.3 KB

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 08-19-2015 at 01:45 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:05 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by xeris
Nicely done.
I'm surprised that you didn't use tamper resistant screws.
Thank and, Huh??
Old 08-19-2015, 02:07 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ

I just threw some tape on there real quick to give an idea how it's being cut. I don't like the chain gaurd, so that's being removed and some material on the other side to make it symmetrical. I also thought there was too much hangin over the tire, so that's being trimmed back as well.
I will likely trim mine some more as well.
I did just the edges that meet the brace for now, so i could get it painted and mounted..
I'll live with it for the rest of summer and see what MOD's it needs along the way.
Its glass, so I can shape it, trim, or grow it as needed.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:18 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Did you take a ride with it yet? I was curious with it being so thin, if the part above the tire had movement when you hit a bump. Although, you would need someone riding behind you to see this. I was debating glassing in some 3/4"x1/8" aluminum underneath to make it more rigid. Even though I am cutting mine back, I'm still wondering if it will flex.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 08-19-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:17 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Did you take a ride with it yet? I was curious with it being so thin, if the part above the tire had movement when you hit a bump. Although, you would need someone riding behind you to see this. I was debating glassing in some 3/4"x1/8" aluminum underneath to make it more rigid. Even though I am cutting mine back, I'm still wondering if it will flex.
First ride will be in the morning. I painted the underside of mine, so it will be ease to tell if there is flex and tire contact... So more tomorrow after my ride.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:40 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
First ride will be in the morning. I painted the underside of mine, so it will be ease to tell if there is flex and tire contact... So more tomorrow after my ride.
So 200 plus miles, lots of bumpy roads.... no stress cracks in paint and no sign the hugger touched the tire.

Id think the key is in the mounting... if that is not done well I think the part will flex more and could lead to contact.
Once I find a color I can live with, I will adhere the hugger to the brace with RTV as well as the 4 screws.. so the part will have contact, support and adherence the full length of the part.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:43 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Looks awesome Eric, keep it in black, looks very much integrated with the swingarm, love it.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:46 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Just noticed.. did you drop the LeoVince because of the blinkers on the tail eliminator?
Old 08-23-2015, 04:11 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by NHSH
Just noticed.. did you drop the LeoVince because of the blinkers on the tail eliminator?
Not specifically lights, but to put the cans at the angle to the tail section I prefer.

The drop brackets are temp deals while I decide on the aesthetics of it. I have some chromoly tube to build new hangers with once Im ready.

I really do not like the attachment point of those hangers either so far forward on the cans they don't support them well, or the already long reach of the bracket to the subframe..just looks ..well wrong and dodgy.

New hangers will drop down from the rear part of subframe though the tail section....triangulated a bit for support.