Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Air horn and heated grips. . .

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Squid Poacher
Back Marker

scatterbrained is on a distinguished road
Cool Air horn and heated grips. . .

So I'm mostly done installing some heated grips and an air horn onto the stuporchicken.
I picked up one of these

and realized very quickly that there was no room anywhere on the bike for it no matter how clever I got with brackets. So I ended up splitting the motor and the horn and installing the motor under the seat. The horn I fitted into the airduct of the left fairing. I heated up a brass 3/8 i.d. hose coupler and slid it into the air intake of the horn. Tomorrow I plan on swinging over to NAPA and picking up some fuel line quick release fittings so I can have the hose coming off of the fairing and connecting to the hose where it comes out of the frame. Good and simple. The wiring is done and looks pretty good. I added a fuse box because I installed a relay (not visible) for the heated grips (so I could leave them on when I shut the bike off) and I plan on adding some heated apparel when we move back up north.

The heated grips are by Trackside, I didn't want to make any visible modifications to the fairings so I tacked together a mount that uses the front tank bolts.

The horn mount is pretty ghetto right now, but I may leave it that way since it is pretty solidly in there right now. Three zip ties and a velcro strap are doing a pretty good job.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:14 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
The instructions that come with your Stebel air horn are pretty explicit about mounting the motor unit in a vertical position. Not doing so may result in premature failure of the unit. Also, one of the good things about this horn is the near-zero lag time between thumbing the button and the the horn sounding. Mounting the trumpet unit remotely from the compressor will most likely result in a lag.
I mounted mine to the rear sub-frame (forward bolt on the passenger peg mount) after fabricating a bracket from sheet stock. The horn sits just behind my left calf when I'm on the bike.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:47 AM
Squid Poacher
Back Marker

Originally Posted by nekkid
The instructions that come with your Stebel air horn are pretty explicit about mounting the motor unit in a vertical position. Not doing so may result in premature failure of the unit. Also, one of the good things about this horn is the near-zero lag time between thumbing the button and the the horn sounding. Mounting the trumpet unit remotely from the compressor will most likely result in a lag.
I mounted mine to the rear sub-frame (forward bolt on the passenger peg mount) after fabricating a bracket from sheet stock. The horn sits just behind my left calf when I'm on the bike.
They want it mounted vertically because they know it will be exposed to the elements and mounting it vertically does the most to prevent moisture from entering. The only moisture I have to worry about with it mounted the way it is right now is condensation, and condensation will get it the motor no matter how you mount it. As far as a lag is concerned it is negligible at most, nothing you would notice if you weren't paying very close attention to it.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:14 AM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
The PO mounted a Stebel and he located it under the back end just in front of the license plate mounts. It fits pretty good there and is nice and loud. I had thought about heated grips but I will probably get the battery heated gloves instead.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:19 AM
Squid Poacher
Back Marker

Originally Posted by ttocsmai
The PO mounted a Stebel and he located it under the back end just in front of the license plate mounts. It fits pretty good there and is nice and loud. I had thought about heated grips but I will probably get the battery heated gloves instead.
So it's under the tail above the rear tire?
I thought about heated gloves but having had experience with heated grips before I decided to go that route. We have plenty of days here that might start in the 30's and make it into the upper 60's or even low 70's, the heated grips allow me to wear gloves that will accommodate the whole spectrum vs having hands that are either too hot in the afternoon or too cold in the morning. (They're cheaper too)
Old 01-29-2010, 10:32 AM
Superstock

ttocsmai is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scatterbrained
So it's under the tail above the rear tire?
Yes it is, I will try and take some pictures of it this weekend.

I did want to change the tail a bit but with the horn placed there it limits me on my options. The PO (Jason O) warned me before I tested it, because it is loud there.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Squid

Ozian is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, I'm new here. Just picked up an 06 Firestorm here in Brisbane, Australia and I'm loving it (previous bike was a late 90's YZF600R)! I had a Stebel on my truck, and a friend of mine who currently has a TDM900 has one mounted on that, and I hate the stock "meep meep" horns. Soooo, I picked up the same Stebel unit that Scatterbrained has pictured above and mounted the whole unit under the seat. There's still lots of room for the tool kit and to put a couple of other items (gloves, etc), and having it under the seat does NOTHING to muffle the sound of the horn. Quick install, easy wiring, nice and clean and hidden, and out of the elements. Perfect.

Errant lane changers and the indicator-impared will certianly be getting an earful from now on.

Looking forward to leanring lots from you experts about how to make my new toy even more fun than it already is!!

Cheers,
Ian
06 Firestorm VTR1000F
Micron slip-ons
Stebel Nautilus air horn