Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

Scottiemann goes streetfighter

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 12:04 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scottiemann
just did a quick google search for the file name on the pictures and came up with this thread

VTR 1000 streetfighter... Cooling? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org

not from our forum, and aparently the rads came off a KTM
Yes KTM. I priced those and said forget it. Maybe used ones are more available in the Czech Republic. I suppose any small rad would work if the in/out are in the right place.
IIRC sub frame is from a Buell, exhaust cans fab'd from O2 bottles, and the tank volume was increased cutting and adding height.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:24 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Im also considering a smaller front mount in conjunction with a larger oil cooler, but Im still brainstorming on that one. Until I figure it out Im getting some replacement hoses and running the side mounts.... I do still wanna ride this season while I work on it.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:30 PM
SuperBike

A little update, got the tank completely painted and cleared last night. just needs a wet sand and buff and a fresh set of door edge trim for the bottom lip and its good to go. I would post pics but with the lighting in the garage I cant get a good pic that actually shows the color.

Tonight I'm painting and clearing the front fender and headlight bezel. tail section still needs some prep work so I probably wont get to paint that til this weekend. and once the paint is done I'm going to start working on mechanical/electrical while the paint cures for about a week then wet sand that shiiitee lol
Old 05-01-2015, 04:39 AM
SuperBike

Anyone have any recommendation on grips, theres so many options its not even funny and without being able to feel them I'm buying blind...

I'm obviously looking for something thick and soft (hold the jokes on that one), the factory ones just dont do anything in reducing fatigue or dampening vibrations... thanks guys
Old 05-01-2015, 10:14 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Anyone have any recommendation on grips, theres so many options its not even funny and without being able to feel them I'm buying blind...

I'm obviously looking for something thick and soft (hold the jokes on that one), the factory ones just dont do anything in reducing fatigue or dampening vibrations... thanks guys
Take a look at thesehttps://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...at-type-33150/
As you stated, hard to know without trying, but I'm sure Wolverine can tell you about them. The only thing I can see that looks questionable is they're YELLOW.

Last edited by xeris; 05-01-2015 at 10:18 AM. Reason: sp.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:18 PM
SuperBike

Yea, i dont do yellow lol... but I have seen those before, they are very common, just never felt them in person. But if he can attest to them I just might give them a try, now to chose a color
Old 05-01-2015, 09:24 PM
SuperBike

so when I rewire the bike I would like to optimize necessary circuits and grounds, and eliminate unnecessary circuits. bypass the kickstand switch? thoughts anyone?
Old 05-02-2015, 06:33 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
so when I rewire the bike I would like to optimize necessary circuits and grounds, and eliminate unnecessary circuits. bypass the kickstand switch? thoughts anyone?
Scottie, it's there for a reason if you distracted while preparing for a ride seating on the bike (like talking to your ex on the phone) or whatever have you, you may forget it's down and next thing you know, you highside... I would leave it.
Old 05-02-2015, 07:26 AM
SuperBike

yea come to think of it I cant tell you how many times Ive kicked the shifter down into first ready to go, just to have the engine cut out from the switch... its a sign haha
Old 05-02-2015, 11:44 AM
SuperBike

New parts!!! (and a little spoiler)

Got my new turn signals in the other night, set of 4 $20, cant beat it and they look great.

Also got my coils in, like I said, I'm going to install these with my current wiring to make sure they work properly, and later will be given weatherpack connectors and new wiring as needed. As I may run into problems with the wiring (god I hope not) I just want to make sure I have as many components labelled as "known good/working".

And please dont start hounding me to buy the other two coils until I am successful with the first two. The last thing I want is to f@#$ up one and have already sold the other two. I dont see that happening, but theres always a chance...

Scottiemann goes streetfighter-coils.jpg

Scottiemann goes streetfighter-indicators.jpg
Old 05-02-2015, 05:37 PM
SuperBike

so what am I missing here? ... ah yes, a mosfet R/R and one last surprize...

Scottiemann goes streetfighter-rewire1.jpg

And apparently even though I was planning the rewire as a future endeavor, I seem to have everything...
Old 05-02-2015, 07:26 PM
SuperBike

WARNING this post is useless... best suited for a blog entry... just to let you in my head a little...

So I havent worked on the bike in 2 days, spent friday night with the little scottiemann AKA noahmann. This morning brought him to swim lessons, took him to dunkin's for a doughnut for being super cool . Then to the playground. Wish I took more pictures of him then my bike, oh well, next time.

I cleaned my garage ::read as cleaned 1 bay:: put the bike in that bay and a work table with all my new parts and realized its all electrical. So it seems I'm doing the rewire sooner than expected, great! But even though I'm a computer geek/builder/programmer/hacker/electronics-guru/no-problem-working-on-circuit-boards-or-wiring-****...I realized planning out this rewire is a daunting task, doing it is not daunting, doing it is easy, borderline tedious. But planning it...not only do I have to make sure everything is wired correctly by staring at schematics and my bike til my eyes bleed but I have to incorporate all my previous mods, current/new mods as well as any future plans I have. And yes future plans may require a partial rewire. I also know that I cant install certain components without others due to almost certain failure...

So now comes the time to get real, figure out exactly what I want to accomplish with the rewire. Almost every other mod to my bike can be done solo, when its rideable, when its not, doesnt effect other components, can be done in minutes/hours, not days/weeks...

On another note, theres a lot of things I want to do to the bike however have to weigh out the pros and cons of doing so versus holding off til that part is modded or replaced with something better. For example; I'm sick of working on this tail section when I know I'm going to be making a custom piece to replace it... also the same reason I'm running the factory exhaust instead of slipons, because I plan on some type of custom exhaust and havent decided which route to go with that.

Anyways, Ive been working 10-12 hour days at work then working on my bike til midnight or 1am even though I wake up at 5:30am for work the next day. I am tired but ambitious... and I hate how I get this sick ambition once riding season comes around. I want to ride right now, I couldnt get this ambition a couple months ago when it was below 0 degrees F in my unheated garage?... so is life... at least this time I have the money to finish the projects I start...

Enough of my bullshiit back to the build!
Old 05-02-2015, 09:04 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
So, where's the spoiler? Is it one of those big carbon fiber jobs that all the rice boys sport? I heard this gives your vehicle "like massive downforce yo!", or so says the neighbor kid with the super F'n loud '92 Hinda Civic with an earth shatting (misspelled on purpose) 120hp.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:51 PM
SuperBike

the spoiler is the front fendewr all painted. Yes its white but the pictures dont do the pearl effect any justice.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:18 PM
SuperBike

working on the coils now, will post pics in a bit just have to vent...

As usual, wiring is stupid simple... BUT THESE GODAMN F@#$ING BOOTS...FML...KMN...there has to be a better way lol
Old 05-03-2015, 01:13 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
I don't ride in the rain so i didn't do boots...

Been fine for lots of miles...

James
Old 05-03-2015, 01:36 PM
SuperBike

thats a thought... I dont ride much in the rain either so I may leave them bootless til I see how the first wet ride goes
Old 05-03-2015, 02:42 PM
SuperBike

yea I decided I'll mess with boots later if I find the lack thereof becomes a problem...

slid the top seal down to prevent movement. Sealed up the top of the coil with electrical tape... I know I didnt really need to do that but it just felt right.

At the moment the wires dont have loom or shrink tubing. Thats because they are going to be cut and respliced when I do the rewire in the near future. The butt crimps however are the gel, heatshrink type so I shouldnt have any problems there anyways.

and dont worry the valve covers are getting cleaned up...

Scottiemann goes streetfighter-coils1.jpg

Scottiemann goes streetfighter-coils2.jpg

Scottiemann goes streetfighter-coils3.jpg

Scottiemann goes streetfighter-coils4.jpg
Old 05-03-2015, 03:59 PM
SuperBike

mounted the new turn signals and tested them, at first I thought one was junk until I put my dying battery on the charger... they all function and look great, $20 well spent
Old 05-03-2015, 06:30 PM
SuperBike

I've been scouring ebay for ideas for a front mount radiator setup and it seems the sv650 seems to be the best fit. its just over 7" tall and just under 14" wide which means the ends will protrude about a 1/2" less on each side then the factory side mounts. the sv1000 is somewhere around 17" wide which is a lot wider then I want to go. and the KTM rads... although they look cool, I'm trying to do away with the dual sidemounts for something a little more discrete.

Given that I will be running a significantly larger oil cooler (specific model yet to be determined), and a hardwired toggle switch for manual fan operation as well as the OEM temp switch. I'm hoping I wont run into cooling issues...

Anyone think this wouldnt work?
Old 05-03-2015, 07:52 PM
SuperBike

eh, I'll just find out...
Old 05-03-2015, 08:12 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
I bypassed kick stand switch when I went naked. I rerouted all of the drain hoses and vent lines to the back of the bike. Cleaning all of that up makes a huge difference and putting the kickstand up should be second nature if you ride regularly. I put kickstand up before I crank the bike.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:14 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
I used a 4 row oil cooler off a Honda Recon 250 for $15 off ebay. SS oil lines and AN fittings.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:26 PM
SuperBike

yea I found a few 6 row oil coolers as well for pretty cheap, just gotta make sure I have space where I want to put it.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:45 PM
SuperBike

So I pulled the harness and radiators tonight. I ordered some OEM parts, among many being 48 slow jets as I need to do some serious carb tuning and expected delivery isnt til next week so instead of sitting around with my thumb up my *** I decided I'll get going on the rewire. Still need to get myself a crimp tool for my beautiful new connectors, depending on where I'm delivering tomorrow, hopefully there will be a hardware store to check out...

So with radiators off I can better visuallize my different options for cooling and now its looking like the KTM rads might be the winner...

And on another note, finally got word that my custom headlight brackets and clamps are finally done after weeks of waiting with little communication, will post pics once they get here
Old 05-05-2015, 05:34 PM
SuperBike

So I pretty much have a rolling chassis right now and am trying to clean up the "engine bay" well actually the entire bike for that matter so I have a question. I know some of you guys are running the carb heater lines, some are not... I generally dont ride below 40-45F and I dont go into the 30's, would I have a problem bypassing the carb heater?
Old 05-05-2015, 06:35 PM
Thread Killer
SuperBike

VTR1000F is on a distinguished road
This build thread has entirely too few pictures.

No, I don't think you'll have a problem removing the carb heater lines, but that's based on what I remember reading. Should probably wait for someone who knows what they're talking about to chime in.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:46 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by VTR1000F
This build thread has entirely too few pictures.
I agree completely , I'm basically just taking **** apart til parts come in... sittin around with my thumb up my *** half the time just looking at the bike because I have no paaaaaahhhttsss
Old 05-05-2015, 06:47 PM
SuperBike

I can post pictures of the bike stripped but I feel like most people here know what that looks like...
Old 05-05-2015, 07:53 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
I wouldn't worry about the carb heater lines. I pulled mine off when I first got it and had no noticeable effects. 8541Hawk made a thread about why they were there in the first place, and if I remember right, it doesn't make much difference if you hook them up or not. Read the thread and make your own informed decision.

Quick Reply: Scottiemann goes streetfighter