Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

Scottiemann goes streetfighter

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 01:52 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Cut the ends off the can, then cut the can long ways.

The cut to fit around the cable post and slide the can under the horizontal bolts.

Use silicone to hold it in place.

All it takes is some measuring. I did mine with the starter off the bike.

Much easier!

I get a few comments about it and I did it for a bit of a joke as amongst my friends I am well known for enjoying a few Jacks!

Like you I also enjoy the odd cig as well.

Your man cave is a lot like mine, stuff everywhere except my butts go in the ashtray.

Keep going mate it's looking really good.

By the way, with the electric water pump you have obviously removed the Thermostat?

I have only had my fan come on a couple of times since it was fitted and that was only in heavy traffic on really hot hot days.

If I had of turned the motor the fan wouldn't have been needed.

I am thinking that with your rads out in the breeze you may not need a fan!

Just a though, good luck it's looking really good.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:02 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Yea if I were to put a can around the starter it would have to be bud light so it matches all the blue lol

Yes, the thermostat is removed, and I have been thinking the same thing regarding the fan, I'll make provisions for a fan during wiring but I'll wait to see how tbe first couple hot days go.

As for the cigs... eh... its my garage, i just drop them lol, half the time I'm smoking I'm usually busy doing something and not near my coffee can. I sweep them up every couple days. I know you cant see my garage right now but its funny how you can tell the weekends I have my son because theres a whole lot of empty coffee cups and not so many beer cans haha
Old 06-21-2015, 09:50 PM
SuperBike

Today spent fathers day with the little man at the aquarium then cookout at my brothers house. To all you fathers on here happy fathers day!

After I dropped the little man off at his mothers I was back in the garage for some AN fun!!! I use the term fun loosely, these things are a bitch if you dont have the "proper" tools... fucked up the first fitting, scratched it to hell because my shitty aluminum vice couldnt hold it, flexed too much and let it slip. good thing I have 4 of those fittings and only need 2. So I finally unpacked the beefy vice thats been sitting around for about 2 years, used oak spacers instead of pine and all is well in the world...

As I have seen recommended, using 3-in-1 oil on the threads and inner fitting work wonders. I used oak spacers on my vice as to not mar up the anodized finish. the company that sold me the hose doesnt use a proper hose cutter so a fresh cut had to be made on both ends. I found these really cool aluminum channels to hold the hose while I cut, apparently I have a bunch of these channels and could possible do something with them in the future...hmmm... I also put a strip of electrical tape on either side of my steel crescent wrench in order to not mar it up as I cranked it down. I'm sure the beveled seal on AN fittings do a good job of sealing but a little permatex high temp thread sealant cant hurt...

The engine side is final but the oil cooler isnt sealed and cranked down because I will be removing it to install the front valve cover and all that fun stuff...

Name:  eMearVy.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  48.0 KB
Name:  3k9TLnk.jpg
Size:  56.3 KB
Name:  nOHQC84.jpg
Size:  60.2 KB
Name:  6kifQoc.jpg
Size:  62.9 KB
Name:  7JME5ex.jpg
Size:  48.1 KB
Name:  o98qhaW.jpg
Size:  61.7 KB
Name:  FJUl3SG.jpg
Size:  58.7 KB
Name:  wJLC4tY.jpg
Size:  60.5 KB
Name:  75ubz2q.jpg
Size:  70.4 KB
Name:  E4seSRz.jpg
Size:  85.4 KB
Name:  CQZzl2E.jpg
Size:  54.0 KB
Name:  j3ssQ8R.jpg
Size:  52.3 KB
Name:  Xk3cQr4.jpg
Size:  60.9 KB
Old 06-22-2015, 05:25 AM
Squid

bewsted is on a distinguished road
sexy!
Old 06-22-2015, 05:26 AM
Squid

Man it looks good. Thats a ton of pitch though. Whats your clearance like with a wheel on it?
Old 06-22-2015, 01:25 PM
Squid

VtwinFr33k is on a distinguished road
Totally still diggin' the build..!
Old 06-22-2015, 05:52 PM
SuperBike

thanks guys

Jason - its hard to tell with the valve cover off but the cooler only comes down about half way through the valve cover and sits about 1/2" from it, if the tires gonna hit anything it'll hit the cylinder head lol... also the lines dont come out nearly as far as the front header pipe so we dont have to worry about those either
Old 06-22-2015, 06:04 PM
SuperBike

So I got home from work today to find a whole bunch of packages ;p

my cush drive bushings/sprocket carrier/rear axle for my new rear wheel. Its gonna be an 06-07 CBR1000RR rear wheel which is roughly around 3lbs lighter than stock, cant wait!

I got lucky with the sprocket carrier, it didnt talk about the sprocket mounted to it but it was pictured... just so happens to be in very useably condition AND 42 teeth which is what I'm running right now YES!!
Old 06-22-2015, 06:32 PM
Squid

bird-rider is on a distinguished road
Looks pretty similar to the classic honda vtz. I like it! Nice concept.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:39 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by scottiemann
So I got home from work today to find a whole bunch of packages ;p

my cush drive bushings/sprocket carrier/rear axle for my new rear wheel. Its gonna be an 06-07 CBR1000RR rear wheel which is roughly around 3lbs lighter than stock, cant wait!

I got lucky with the sprocket carrier, it didnt talk about the sprocket mounted to it but it was pictured... just so happens to be in very useably condition AND 42 teeth which is what I'm running right now YES!!

So what has to be changed out to use the cbr1000rr rear and does it still fit a stock tire or is it bigger?
Old 06-23-2015, 05:40 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by scottiemann
thanks guys

Jason - its hard to tell with the valve cover off but the cooler only comes down about half way through the valve cover and sits about 1/2" from it, if the tires gonna hit anything it'll hit the cylinder head lol... also the lines dont come out nearly as far as the front header pipe so we dont have to worry about those either
Gonna be TIZIGHT!
Old 06-23-2015, 02:33 PM
SuperBike

Thanks bird

As for the rear wheel, the CBR spacer blocks need to be ground down to fit the space where the VTR adjusters go and the axle slots/holeson the VTR swinger need to be widened slightly to accept the CBR axle. My man Ruvik has already done this with the next generation CBR wheel which is roughly 2 pounds lighter then the wheel Ill be running so he turned me onto this mod and has given me some pointers. I went with the 07 CBR wheel because it was a deal I couldnt pass up, the wheel, sprocket carrier, sprocket, cush drive bushings and the axle with nut, washer, and spacer blocks came to about $150-$160 shipped...

As for the tire, the wheel is a 190, ours being a 180. The 180 tire can be used which is what Ill be doing, if I dont like the feel of it for any reason ill grab a 190 tire
Old 06-25-2015, 09:56 PM
SuperBike

Well I have no new pictures, mainly because lighting sucks in the garage, however I do have an update.

I finished cleaning up the valve covers, stator cover and water pump cover (saving the best for last lol). As I am going away for the long weekend I painted the valve covers so they will be ready to mount up sunday night when I get back, at which point I can permanently mount the oil cooler. I recieved my reservoir tank which I will start making the bracket for sunday or monday depending on time... I am still debating on whether or not I'm going to use this tank, I thought I had a lot more space originally... I dont know...

I also recieved the rear wheel and all new bearings and seals, all I need is one of the spacer bushings but I still need to paint it so I have time on that...

so much to do so little time ::sigh::
Old 06-28-2015, 11:02 PM
Squid

scottiemann, this bike is going to be epic when it's finished, are you working on a timeline, or just getting it done as quickly as possible..?
Old 06-29-2015, 04:31 AM
SuperBike

I'm just working as quickly as possible at this point... I originally had timelines but my build wasnt originally this involved, it kept getting deeper. At this point my bike is stripped as far as it needs to be so things are starting to come back together.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:49 PM
SuperBike

Alright so some shitty pictures... like I said, got my valve covers painted thursday night before going away for the long weekend. Its satin black pearl, very close to the factory color but darker, better and newer. Got those mounted up last night, coils installed, Pair blockoffs installed, PCV hose installed on front cylinder because zero clearance, and got my oil cooler installed permanently.

I like the look of the oil catch can I bought to use as an overflow tank but I'm not sold on the size and weight of it... for one I would have to mount it about 1 1/2" above the right rad to clear the fan switch and two, it will stick out 1/2"-3/4" past the rad to clear the coolant out at the mechanical pump cover...

Might just have to go to the packy (for you PA guys, liquor store) and find a cool bottle of something and drink it real fast to finish up the cooling system

Name:  P9IqYBW.jpg
Size:  67.1 KB
Name:  YGrA2Sj.jpg
Size:  48.6 KB
Name:  wu9Ld9V.jpg
Size:  44.1 KB
Name:  H6tins1.jpg
Size:  80.7 KB
Old 06-29-2015, 07:42 PM
SuperBike

BTW if I have any type of leak in the cooling system, I may drive the bike off a cliff... just sayin
Old 06-29-2015, 09:49 PM
SuperBike

is it just me or has anyone else wonder why coolant systems dont run filters? just a thought...
Old 06-29-2015, 10:42 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Because it's a closed system. No chance of anything getting into the coolant, except for, say, corrosion or possibly a gasket failure. You are free to experiment with a FRAM G2 filter (clear) or a fuel filter. It's as simple as cut and insert. As far as I know, it works and you can see if it (the G2) needs changing

But, how often have you changed your coolant (per manufacturer recommendations) and seen that it needed a filter?

Your valve covers look nice, clean and brand new lookin'.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 06-29-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:46 PM
SuperBike

I change all my fluids every year,,,,usually tear down the bike to some point every winter....
Old 06-29-2015, 10:54 PM
SuperBike

and my coolant doesnt come out perfectly clean every time
Old 06-29-2015, 11:08 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Corrosion of Comformity...sorry, I meant corrosion is the reason for the unclean coolant. Or so one would think?
Old 06-29-2015, 11:12 PM
SuperBike

exactly, corrosion is inevitable in the coolant system, so why no filter
Old 06-30-2015, 03:18 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Lookin good Scottie,

Why don't you clean up the front of your engine before you fit everything back up.

It looks tatty compared to the rest that you have done.

Sorry, but your bike is cool and deserves to look the best that it can.

I am **** when it comes to my bike and I have found that a steam cleaner really helps to keep the front cylinder and surrounds looking good.

Not long now EH!

Good luck, it has certainly been a labour of love for you but I am sure it will all be worth it when you get to ride it for the first time.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:55 AM
SuperBike

Well theres no way in hell im pulling that cooling system apart now lol but i will be giving it a thorough cleaning once the engine is all closed up...

Im going to paint the starter so I can scrub behind it while its off

And thank you for the compliments
Old 06-30-2015, 01:47 PM
SuperBike

I think I just got an idea for my res tank. I believe I have an old 9oz CO2 tank kickin around... Ive seen it done before, it looks good and may give me more options for mounting. Gonna have to check it out when I get home from work and see if it will work for me.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:12 PM
SuperBike

Got home from work today with a little bit of daylight so I took some more pictures of the cooling system. And a few more pictures of the 2 possible overflow tanks. The oil catch can is very heavy and takes up a lot of room with little options as to location but does look pretty cool. The CO2 tank however similar size is a little lighter (not much) but does allow more options for mounting (strapped to the subframe under the tail maybe). I'm probably going to use the the CO2 tank but any thoughts?

Name:  6S152uI.jpg
Size:  71.2 KB
Name:  6Z8HGmf.jpg
Size:  78.7 KB
Name:  M5NVTuH.jpg
Size:  62.2 KB
Name:  oON0DWM.jpg
Size:  56.4 KB
Name:  nSgfSm2.jpg
Size:  55.5 KB
Name:  ZRbopnp.jpg
Size:  43.4 KB
Old 07-01-2015, 03:35 PM
Squid

Use the Co2 tank...! That would be awesome..!
Old 07-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Remember, you don't really need an oil catch can. And the stock coolant system displaced 4 fl.oz. Not sure what capacity your new system has, but it looks a little bigger? Maybe displaces 6 fl.oz.? So, with a few ounces extra just to be safe, imagine a little more than half a soda can of space is needed.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:35 PM
SuperBike

I know I dont need it to be that big but the CO2 tank is roughly the same capacity as the factory tank, it looks cool, and is not susceptible to damage...

basically I need something durable, functional, and something that looks half decent because its going to be mounted outside of the frame

Quick Reply: Scottiemann goes streetfighter