Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

New to Forum with a Red '98

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 07:55 AM
Squid

hilbili is on a distinguished road
New to Forum with a Red '98

Hey there everyone I just purchased a 1998 VTR1000 and wanted to say hello. I was able to find a borderline stock (except for the suspension) example with 15,000 miles on it and jumped at the chance to buy it. I test rode an SV1000 but didn't like the one I was riding and am glad I waited for this one. I am exploring the bits and pieces that need to be replaced (rectifier/regulator, CCT etc.) and would love any tips and suggestions to keep this bike running long term. I love the looks and ride of the bike and am planning on keeping it for a very long time .

I was wondering if any of you had an opinion about swapping a stock CCT for another brand/newer automatic CCT rather than a manual one?

I am located in Chicago IL btw.
Attached Thumbnails New to Forum with a Red '98-20160423_184846.jpg   New to Forum with a Red '98-20160423_174043.jpg  
Old 04-27-2016, 08:14 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
If you are going to stick with autos, just do so with the OEM ones, replace every 10k miles or so ..(or some set of years) and ride on.

There is nothing worng with the OEM autos other than the spring eventually failes though many cycles or time (disuse, storage may cause rust and then early failure)

Or install a manual CCT CORRECTLY and forget about it.

Originally Posted by hilbili
Hey there everyone I just purchased a 1998 VTR1000 and wanted to say hello. I was able to find a borderline stock (except for the suspension) example with 15,000 miles on it and jumped at the chance to buy it. I test rode an SV1000 but didn't like the one I was riding and am glad I waited for this one. I am exploring the bits and pieces that need to be replaced (rectifier/regulator, CCT etc.) and would love any tips and suggestions to keep this bike running long term. I love the looks and ride of the bike and am planning on keeping it for a very long time .

I was wondering if any of you had an opinion about swapping a stock CCT for another brand/newer automatic CCT rather than a manual one?

I am located in Chicago IL btw.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:15 AM
Back Marker

Aquasnake is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum! Great bunch of (pick your favorite term of endearment or expletive here) on this site.
Oh... and I second what Erik said above plus, from my experience, change the reg/rec sooner than later.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:06 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Aquasnake
Welcome to the forum! Great bunch of (pick your favorite term of endearment or expletive here) on this site.
Oh... and I second what Erik said above plus, from my experience, change the reg/rec sooner than later.
FH020AA
Home
Old 04-27-2016, 01:13 PM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
As to the CCT's, take a look at www.vtr1000.org ? Portal
and search for "stopper mod". It is a mod that allows automatic tensioning and prevents catastrophic failure if the spring breaks.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:00 PM
Superstock

Fastguy59 is on a distinguished road
Welcome, and you can't go wrong with advice from E. Marquez !
Old 04-28-2016, 04:47 PM
Squid

hilbili is on a distinguished road
Thanks so much for the advice guys. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the effort to buy a cheap rectifier off an R1 or just do it right and get an aftermarket one. I'm not a genius with electronics and don't want to risk anything going wrong. I'm checking out the stopper mod post now because I had never even heard of that.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:25 PM
Back Marker

jefejrs is on a distinguished road
Hilbil really simple with a used rec and a harness like Eastern Beaver. Basically plug and play. Many threads on it..R/R Connectors

or complete kit that E posted..
Old 04-29-2016, 08:14 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
hey hilbili, welcome to the forum!

Your much better getting a used R/R that you can verify its of the MOSFET circuit type(check part number)

Ive seen too many aftermarket ones claim to be MOSFET when its not(or most likely isnt)

And if your referring to an aftermarket one made for the superhawk dont bother, it will fail just like the factory ones, ask me how I know lol

As for the CCT you can also make your own manual ones out of the factory automatics. Disassemble, drill out, tap, insert carriage bolt with a lock nut and cap nut at the other end...
Old 04-29-2016, 08:26 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by scottiemann
hey hilbili, welcome to the forum!

Your much better getting a used R/R that you can verify its of the MOSFET circuit type(check part number)

Ive seen too many aftermarket ones claim to be MOSFET when its not(or most likely isnt)

And if your referring to an aftermarket one made for the superhawk dont bother, it will fail just like the factory ones, ask me how I know lol

As for the CCT you can also make your own manual ones out of the factory automatics. Disassemble, drill out, tap, insert carriage bolt with a lock nut and cap nut at the other end...
That was true a few years ago.... Now not so much, and MOSFET Shunt is now as old school as the diode shunt installed as OEM.
The Shindengen SH775 or better SH847 is the current newest best. And available as an OEM part on its own from a 2014 or newer DL1000, or as a kit as linked if you do not want to build your own wiring.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:53 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
I stand corrected... seems I need to get up to date on the times lol