Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

Meier's 98 restoration

Old 02-28-2016, 09:05 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Meier Link
It's definantly a love hate relationship. Hoping she will be back up and running in the next 2 weeks.

I've got it stripped back down to just the lower end of the engine and wheels to do some other unmentioned mods and tweaking. Down fall is I have no way to lift the bike to replace the front and rear wheels so it puts me in a bind.
With the fairings off, lay it on its side and refit wheels. Then lift back up.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:54 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

Meier Link is on a distinguished road

So progress keeps getting halted due to the fiance consistently making plans for me with out me knowing. Just got the tires replaced recently but didn't even have the chance to put the fully serviced wheels back on.

So this is how the Hawk has been sitting for well over a week. There's a lot more removed from the other side too but couldn't get a decent pic. Still have a little more teardown to do before building the beast back up while doing the other mods I want to do.

Edit: note that is not my garage. The hawk was parked at my finances old house so it limits me to the weekend to work on the bike.

Last edited by Meier Link; 03-30-2016 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:08 AM
Superstock

archaicguy is on a distinguished road
Man, I dig your determination!! Outstanding, keep it up brother, You will get to where all you will have to do is ride her eventually.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:24 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Meier Link

So progress keeps getting halted due to the fiance consistently making plans for me with out me knowing.
Ain't that the truth!

Can't wait to see it back together with the new mods. I also admire your determination. Many would have given up and parted it out by now.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:22 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

[/IMG]
Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
Ain't that the truth!

Can't wait to see it back together with the new mods. I also admire your determination. Many would have given up and parted it out by now.
Yup. The soon to be wife has my months planed out for me lol.
As for me and the bike. Well let's just say I am as stubborn as she is. If not then I probably would of went back to a cruiser haha.

Good thing that there was some progress today. Wheels back on with everything in them serviced and new tires. Slave cylinder back on ready for bleeding. Shift lever remounted. Painted the radiator covers and put them back on. Plus a few other things that are slipping my mind at the moment.

Now back at the house trying to find a clamp that will fit the calipers so I can put the new pads on amd trying to figure out how to modify a socket to get the spark plugs out so I can pull the cam covers off to change out the CCTs. The PO did not provide the nifty tools that honda provided.

More then likely going to call it a short day. Going to an Aries birthday bash tonight and I want to be well rested and not frustrated from working on the bike hahahaa.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:53 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

FYI, a Craftsman deep socket will fit.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:01 AM
Superstock

When things get frustrating do as I do...... Put the earbuds in and crank up some Hellyea or Killswitch etc. and RELAX
Old 04-26-2016, 04:45 AM
That one guy
Back Marker

Zakk Wylde's book of shadows seems to be my go to recently when I get the chance to work on the bike. Got a small Bose unit set up in the garage that puts off some nice sound. When things get aggravating I have been switching to Panteras vulgar and far beyond driven albums.

So update I have got little to nothing to report. Last weekend I got the tank prepped and started body working the few imperfections and blemishes.

All other work on the bike has been halted for now. I had surgery yesterday so I physically can't do much. Epididymiectomy, I will let you guys Google the horrors of that one. Also I am down to 18 days before I get married so all my focus has shifted to that.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:43 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Jezuz... put on some Kittie and bang **** out... quick! It's alll over in 18
Old 05-10-2016, 09:38 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

So I thought I was well enough to go work on the bike tomorrow and hammer out a lot of the motor before the wedding. After today I don't think this is going to happen.

2.5 weeks after surgery and I decide to mow the yard. Big mistake. Fought to get my front yard mowed and passed out after coming inside.

4 days until the wedding so I am doubting the hawk will be up and running before the wedding. Memorial day weekend we plan to be at Rocklahoma for our honeymoon. So there's another weekend gone.

Not liking not having a garage at my house because it limits the amount of time I can work on the bike. Its in a friends garage to keep it from the oklahoma spring weather.

Week days are limited to work and my kids that I have full custody. Thankfully I got a cage (prestine 2004 chevy silverado extended cab with a lot of nice little modifications and a clean bill of health) a few months back to roll in while the bike is down to keep the miles off the soon to be wife's car.

Not digging missing all this beautiful riding weather. Tomorrow I plan on doing body work to the tank and prep for paint before the rains kick in.

Last edited by Meier Link; 05-10-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:30 AM
Superstock

Keep plugging away buddy. Enjoy all the good things happening in your life now and your bike will come around soon.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:00 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

So I am wanting some input during this mod faze of the hawk.

I'm still not happy with the light output from the headlight on this bike. I was planning on doing modifications to the bulb assembly when I get some extra cash but I happen to also have 2 3000 lumin lights. I eliminated the stock front blinkers off the bike and after looking at the openings I am thinking I can incorporate the lights into this round in the rebuild process if angled correctly. I've got a spare on off switch and a butt ton of wiring that I will have left over from the LEDs I am planning on using to light the sides and rear of the bike (lots of pre sunlight morning riding and oklahoma is full of dumb *** cage drivers).

Toying with ideas to find a way to mount the lights and still be able to angle them in at a decent angle to the road using the stock front blinkers openings. Thoughts?

This might be the worst idea I have come up with yet hahahhahaa.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:20 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Video: Amazing electric-paint for motorcycles that lights up (and animates) to be revealed tomorrow - MoreBikes
Old 05-13-2016, 07:10 AM
SuperBike

xeris is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Wolverine
Jezuz... put on some Kittie and bang **** out... quick! It's alll over in 18
https://youtu.be/W9J7oqV-MWs
Seriously, if this is what you listen to it's no wonder that you use tires that start with B and diesel oil.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:03 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
LOL! I used to... in my younger years Now when I want heavy stuff it usually ends up being A7X.

Originally Posted by xeris
it's no wonder that you use diesel oil.
Diesel oil?!?! Sacrilege! We ALL know Mobil1 4T is thee best erl.

Last edited by Wolverine; 05-13-2016 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:21 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

What kind of lights are these? 3000lm doesn't mean much for driving lights if the light isn't focused. If they are those work lights from Harbor Frieght or Northern Tools, they scatter the light everywhere. Great for work lights, bad for driving lights. You'll also be blinding oncoming traffic.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:37 AM
That one guy
Back Marker

Originally Posted by CruxGNZ
What kind of lights are these? 3000lm doesn't mean much for driving lights if the light isn't focused. If they are those work lights from Harbor Frieght or Northern Tools, they scatter the light everywhere. Great for work lights, bad for driving lights. You'll also be blinding oncoming traffic.
I picked up some u5 cree led lights I had bought to play around with for stage lighting for my bands stage show but scrapped the idea for now and just have them sitting around taking up space on top of my tool box.

Old 06-13-2016, 03:15 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

So I had every plan to get up and work on the hawk last weekend. Thought about it is what summed up the amount of work I got done with it.

The AC isn't working in my house and in turn I haven't slept much for 4 days. Anyone that's been to Oklahoma knows how the weather is here this time of year. With the AC running and 6 fans going it's still almost 90 degrees in my house.

Outside of the lack of sleep the issue I have been having is the bike is being stored at a different location. I am about to remady this by bringing it here and working on it under my covered porch. The house I rent doesn't have a garage. Looks like I will be tarping it when I can't work on it.

Positive notes not hawk related. I've been back to work for a few weeks from my surgery. Me and Pam did get married. My band has its first show back on the scene on July 2nd. The mooch that's been living in my house goes back to England in 2 days. Finally upgraded to a flat screen TV. And I have made some head way on going through my dad's estate and getting things ready for sale. (Had to throw in some positive.)

Old 06-14-2016, 02:19 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Well done young man,

I hope that you have a long and fruitful marriage !

Blessings to you and your wife.

Now get back to that bike.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:00 AM
Superstock

Along with the bad there is plenty of good! Stay determined and positive brother, things are looking up for you.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:32 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

Thanks guys. I am hoping things are on the up and up and bringing the bike home will motivate me more to get back on 2 wheels instead of 4.

I could use some wind therapy right now.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:56 AM
Superstock

Hangfly is on a distinguished road
Congratulations and best wishes!

Now, get your priorities straight and work on that bike.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:25 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

Finally got the bike home last weekend and found some time to get the wrenches turning. I'm to tired to link all the pictures as of right now. Outside of me loosing a bolt into the engine I did make some good progress.

Got the left and right engine covers off, sprocket cover, water pump cover, cam covers and oil pan off. All cleaned, primered and first coat of paint on everything but the oil pan.

The oil pan repair and skid plate still look to be in good shape.

Got the bad spots sanded out of the exhaust system and a final paint done to them which is flat black. Everything else is semi gloss black.

Fuel tank has the initial body work to it and a second coat of primer on it. Got a little more body work to do.

Lastly got the CCTS converted over to manuals finally.

I did have a good helper today too. My 9 year came out and actually helped turn wrenches, held lights and even got to sling some primer.

Unfortunately my youngest boy was not feeling very well so we didn't get to do anything for the 4th celebrations today but we did go camping at a private party where there were fireworks Saturday. My kids also go to see my band play live for the first time along 2 other bands that same night. Good times.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:01 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

Stator cover, clutch cover, oil pan, slave cylinder, and water pump cover are mounted.

Drained the brakes today and pulled the calipers for cleaning, new pads and if I can come up with the money a new paint job.

Everything is looking slick as hell but I am still to lazy to post pictures.

Took today off work due to the heat from the weekend and still ended up back in it today. Over 95 degrees in the shed I am working in. Hell at least I am finally making progress.

I will try to get pictures up tomorrow but I have to go back to work in the morning so it might be the evening time if I don't continue piecing the beast back together.

In a frenzy trying to get the motor sealed back up because I am working outside in a shed. Making sure to keep all ports blocked that are open yet I still don't trust the humidity here.

Tomorrow the cam covers go back on amd hopefully can get it to where the airbox is final installed.

There are a few pics on the Facebook page.

Edit:

Click bait, https://m.facebook.com/groups/767790...62545300519303

Last edited by Meier Link; 07-05-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:53 AM
That one guy
Back Marker

Did manage to get a few things on the bike done over the weekend. Carbs got cleaned amd put back together. Cam covers are back on the bike. Most of the coolant and oil lines are back on. Made it to the hardware store and picked up a few bolts and screws that needed replacement and acquired new plugs. Probably didn't need the plugs but I have no idea how many seasons were on the old ones.

When I tore the bike down I put all the parts I was going to reuse into an ice chest for safe keeping or so I thought. When going through the air box parts I realized I am missing 1 of the covers that comes with the K&N air filter.
Got pissed off and shut everything down (also it was 105 f and I was burning up) and went on the search to buy a new one with our having to buy the whole filter bundle again.

Before I hear go back to the stock filter: my bike runs smoother with the K&N and I imagine it has something to do with the 2 to 1 exhausts.

Hoping to get some more wrench time in this weekend.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:32 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

So upon further inspection I think what took me down back in October. I got to looking at the old plugs and the boots. Absolutely 0 dielectric grease on either. Sounds like a damn bad short to me in heavy rain....

New plugs in with ample grease. Carbs back on. Not much more to report outside the calipers are now mid process of being cleaned and prepped for paint.

The last thing I found the missing part. Apparently someone thought they would help me when the bike was not being stored here at the house. Found it in the battery box. Not sure why I looked there seeing the battery is out of the bike and on a tender but I am glad it was found. One less thing to worry about.

Hoping to get a lot of work done on the bike this week. Lower 90s to mid 80s in the forecast until Monday of next week.

Going to take more time than I want to. Going to get everything back on the bike and strip more off for fresh paint.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:45 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

After a long while of not working on the bike, thanks to riding season also being the best time for bands to play live and wife demands, I finally found the availible time to work on the bike today......

Yes there are multiple periods there for a reason. I was planning on painting more today and all of the sudden the moisture in the air greatly increased and exceeded the requirements for painting outside (no garage remember).

Cloud cover moved in and it looked like night time and yet no rain but you could feel the moisture in the air and it was thick.

Hopefully tomorrow after I get home from teacher meetings I can sling some paint. If not I am 2 more weeks out from being able to touch the bike. Work, band shows, wife and kids already have that time reserved.

Starting to think this season is over for me but then again I will ride in the winter as long as there isn't ice on the roads so hopefully I make more progress soon.
Old 09-22-2016, 09:42 AM
Squid

dsc194 is on a distinguished road
Nice work.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:43 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

Nothing much new to add. Time is still being ate up with honey do's and the band has had shows every weekend.

Figure I'm taking 1 step forward and 2 Steps back. Starting to feel like the bike will be damn near new by the time I am done with it. Decided with winter months coming on fast I am going to do more than I originally intended.

Just ordered new sprockets and chain 16/41 with a 530 chain, new discs for both front and rear, new damper rubbers for the rear, and a new set of steel braided brake and clutch lines. Even managed to get the wife's approval for the purchases hahaha.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:57 PM
That one guy
Back Marker

Got the first round of the newest parts in over the weekend. Going to be spending some good time Turning the wrench this weekend. Band is on break and now I get to focus on some me time. Still have plenty of other parts to load on to the hawk from my summer purchases too.
Attached Thumbnails Meier's 98 restoration-20161029_153515.jpg