Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

Hi from far far away

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 01:18 AM
Squid

DavidC is on a distinguished road
Hi from far far away

Hey folks

I've been lurking on here for some time now, since a few months ago while researching my next bike to replace a fun (but limited) SV650 - so I thought I'd post details of my new ride.

I found a really nice condition, relatively low mileage (25k kms), black 2007 Firestorm. After I had ridden it for a week I managed to drop it pulling away from some lights on an acute corner, on a freezing cold evening, in the wet - etc, etc... I have excuses for Africa (which coincidentally is where I'm from; South Africa - although I'm typing this from New Zealand where I've lived for the past 9 years).

So, insurance very kindly made my VTR even prettier by replacing the entire right hand side (even though damage was very superficial) - they also "kindly" thumped me with a sizable excess - oh well, live and learn.

So for the past 3 weeks or so I've been thoroughly enjoying my new baby. I've bought quite a few add-ons too (well, I needed something to do while the bike was in the shop!); a tinted double-bubble screen, some 3" Apex clippons, tank grip pads, some understated rim decals, and some new tyres.

Haven't fitted the Apex bars yet - need some longer braided lines first, and also some bar-end weights (struggling to find any 3/4" ones - most seem to be 7/8ths). Still on the shopping list is a dyno tune (it's running lean I think - probably due to the scorpion cans and k&n filter that the previous owner fitted without getting it rejetted), new steering head bearings (a tad notchy).

I'm interested to know if people still recommend fitting a manual CCT as a matter of course, or only if there are signs of impending doom? But for now all spending on the mighty VTR has been vetoed until I'm finished restoring my Kwaka KH125 2-smoker.

I'll post some photos once I jump on "ye olde desktop computer" - on the iPad now and can't load pics from here.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 08-28-2012, 04:48 AM
Back Marker

Tebs is on a distinguished road
Welcome!

Hi Dave,

I'm a newb here as well (been a member for about 6 months) and these folks are great for tech info and any questions you may have. Yes replace the stock CCT with manual ones as soon as you can to be safe. Also check out the PAIR removal and carb setup posts under the "search" menu. Welcome to the forum and post some pics soon! Tebs.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:29 AM
Back Marker

kardiac996 is on a distinguished road
A good ole jetting of the carbs is probably in order. Read the Carb Jet thread in the tech section to see a well proven way to get this done.

I my self just replaced my CCT's to Manuals with 23K on the clock. If it hasn't been done then do it. There is no sign to failure, it will just fail and you will shart in your pants. A fellow member Superdutyd makes some Manual CCT's that are incredible in quality (though shipping across the pond might not be something he does) Still check with him.

Id also suggest look at replacing the R/R (Rectifier/Regulator) as this is also prone to failure on these bikes.

You can find more info on both M CCT's and R/R in the knowledge base section.

Welcome aboard and enjoy the ride!! Siked to see some pics!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:15 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
No place is far away these days mate, maybe (Far and Away) like the old Aussie show if you know it Welcome on board mate!
It is by far one of the best forums you will ever find!

Cheers mate