Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

CruxGNZ's '98 Superhawk

Old 05-16-2015, 01:20 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
I think you need to get different bearings for it to fit your axle as a SP axle will not fit your forks if I remember correctly.
Old 05-16-2015, 02:50 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
I think you need to get different bearings for it to fit your axle as a SP axle will not fit your forks if I remember correctly.
Nuts. I talked to two guys that have done the SP1 wheel in the CBR1000RR forks and they said it bolted in. I guess thier bolt in means different bearings. Which isn't really bad, because I was going to install new bearings anyways.

Scottie, I have a CBR front wheel, but it has a dent in the lip. Since I have a six spoke rear wheel (CBR900RR), I wanted to have a matching six spoke front wheel. Just wanted to have a set of better looking wheels in my opinion. EVERYONE has three spokes

Speaking of that CBR front wheel, I should go measure those bearings to make sure they do in fact swap over.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:10 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
+1 on the looks factor

ugh, what I would give for a set of marchesini's or carrozzeria's ::drooling::
Old 05-16-2015, 04:14 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by scottiemann
+1 on the looks factor

ugh, what I would give for a set of marchesini's or carrozzeria's ::drooling::
I was honestly going to pull the trigger on a pair of March's, but something in me just couldn't spend 5-6 times more on wheels than I paid for the dang bike.

Instead, I decided to hot rod the engine and not get to spendy in the looks department. I flat black primered all the panels, so if I want to paint everything in the future, this makes it somewhat easier.

Once I get the Carillo rods, I'll split my second engine and install the high comp. pistons, Web Cams cams, and ported heads (I got the stuff just sitting here. May as well do something with it). That should make my bike a little more fun running to the grocery store

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 05-16-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 04:32 PM
SuperBike

Yea I hear ya. I havent even had the ***** to drop $400+ on a rear shock yet... btw how much did you drop on that ohlins? (if you dont mind me asking)
Old 05-16-2015, 05:31 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Yea I hear ya. I havent even had the ***** to drop $400+ on a rear shock yet... btw how much did you drop on that ohlins? (if you dont mind me asking)
Well, suspension (for the most part) gives you confidence in the corners. So, I purchased a used Ohlins for (I think) $450 and sunk another $270 having it fully serviced. It was a heck of an investment, but should anything happen in the future, I can sell it separately and get most of my money back.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:08 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

My eBay LED tailight with integrated turn signals had an issue. The five white LED's that shined down onto the license plate, broke off inside the housing and were bouncing around inside there. It was driving me nuts. Not only that, but I was avoiding driving at night because my plate wasn't illuminated.
I got another LED tailight and a weatherpack plug and installed it along with a couple auxiliary brake lights. While I was doing some wiring, I did the "free power" mod and ran grounds right from the ICU and Converter straight to the battery. I can tell that the bike feels different. Better, but different. It's hard to put a finger on it. It feels like it starts faster, and throttle response is better. Feels more crisp. Like you just took 20,000 miles off your 30,000 mile bike. It's a good mod. Super simple to do too.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:17 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Thanks to our awesome forum member taskmasta, I now have a new belly pan! A little work and some new primer, and viola! A perfect belly pan. I have wanted one this style for a long time. I think the bike now looks fantastic. Now onto the front end swap.

Name:  20150520_180017.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  429.2 KB
Name:  20150520_180004.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  453.9 KB
Old 05-20-2015, 06:21 PM
SuperBike

looking good man, keep it up
Old 05-21-2015, 07:21 AM
Squid

bewsted is on a distinguished road
Looks like mine did before i took my fairings off. Same exhaust even....Till my xg1 shows up!
Attached Thumbnails CruxGNZ's '98 Superhawk-20150406_162746.jpg  
Old 05-21-2015, 09:00 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by bewsted
Looks like mine did before i took my fairings off. Same exhaust even....Till my xg1 shows up!
Your neighbors are gonna love you
Old 05-21-2015, 09:04 AM
Squid

bewsted is on a distinguished road
Ya. OH WELL! I live in the city here and park the bike at my moms out in the county. Tons of straight pipe harleys running around lol
Old 05-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Dagnabbit!

It's 70F degrees and sunny today. Went for a ride with my Dad and the bike started to make a ticking noise. It starts at 2500RPM's and stops at 3450RPM's. Above and below those RPM's and it sounds completely normal. It's loud, like for instance, a collapsed lifter. It's coming from the front head. Perfect riding weather too. Crap.

I'm going to see if I can just lower the oil cooler and remove the valve cover. Not sure if this is even possible, but I don't want to tear the whole bike apart. Although, if there is something really wrong with it, I will have to tear it apart anyways. Decisions decisions...

If I have to take it apart, I don't see any reason why I can't install my set of Webcams and hop up this engine a little bit for the summer.

I guess, pull the valve cover and see what the heck is going on. Working on it right now. I hope it's something simple.

What's bothering me, is I just checked the valve clearances at the end of the riding season last year. And also, why did this noise just start happening now? Plugged oil passage? We will see. Time to DW!

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 05-22-2015 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Different choice of words
Old 05-22-2015, 12:57 PM
Superstock

Hangfly is on a distinguished road
Dang it M!
I hope you get away easy on this one and it's not a busted crank or something bad like that. We anxiously await the outcome.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:35 PM
über-n00b
Superstock

Spoot is on a distinguished road
:fingers-crossed:
Old 05-22-2015, 09:22 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I'll try to make this short.

Took the bike apart. Fairings, gas tank, valve covers, all off. While I was setting the front cylinder at TDC, there is an audible "clunk", not only the front cylinder but the back as well. I can only surmise that it is the wrist pins. Yeah, plural. I can rotate the engine back and forth and it clunks from both cylinders near the head. This causes a ticking while running? Apparently.

I have done several MCCT installs on our fantastic SC36 and have NEVER heard this type of noise when turning the engine over by hand.

I am infuriated. This is the start of our short riding season. Now I have to do a M'r F'n engine swap. On the bright side, I already have the bike torn down.

This sucks. I'm done for the day.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:42 PM
SuperBike

.... um...hi.... I know this is a sensitive subject...but...

tear down the engine before you spend money on a new engine, you could have just spun a bearing or need new rods/pins...

regardless, think of it this way, now is your opportunity to build a badass engine
Old 05-22-2015, 10:47 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I have a spare engine sitting on a stand ten feet from my bike

This engine was for my Materium project. But, if this engine gets me back on the road, so be it.

The original plan was to take the spare engine, split the cases, install the 11.5 pistons, Webcams, ported heads, and then swap engines into my bike and take the engine from my bike and put it into the Materium project. But that's not happening now. At least, not the way I planned it.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:01 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Bike is looking great, hope your mechanical woes are relatively minor and easy to fix (just think, it could be worse: broken crank, broken cam.......)
Old 05-23-2015, 09:42 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by mikstr
Bike is looking great, hope your mechanical woes are relatively minor and easy to fix (just think, it could be worse: broken crank, broken cam.......)
I guess. It could have destroyed the engine....or snapped the crank....I kid, I kid Looks like we are both putting in new engines. I wanted to put in new Carillo connecting rods, but due to unforeseen events, money will be tight for a while.

Plan is as follows.

The bike is going to stay down for the time being. My 240GNZ is down as well at the moment. I am working on it to hopefully make the Hot Rod Power Tour on the 6th of next month in Madison, WI. So, I'm going to finish the Z first.

Once the Power Tour is over, work on the bike begins. Since the second engine is out of the bike, it's a lot easier to work on it. I'll be installing the 11.5 JE pistons, Webcams, and ported heads. Then swapping in that engine. Kind of sucks not riding, but it will be worth the wait.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 05-23-2015 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Forgot Micky
Old 05-25-2015, 06:58 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Here she sits broken hearted, not a dime and only farted.

Ordered the gaskets and bolts for the new engine. Started clearing a spot in the shop for my "clean area" for parts assembly. Then bolted the new engine to the engine stand. It's rather nice being able to spin the engine 360 degrees. Sure makes things easier.

Name:  20150525_180435.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  431.1 KB
Old 05-25-2015, 07:02 PM
SuperBike

the way your bike looks in that picture kinda makes you wanna go naked, doesnt it?
Old 05-25-2015, 07:13 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Nah, I like to keep my clothes on.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:27 PM
SuperBike

eh, I like to run the streets bare *** lololol
Old 06-08-2015, 07:44 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Small but important update.

I purchased a shift kit in the beginning of January from Factory Pro. F'ing HORRIBLE customer service. I'm not going to get into it. If you want to know, PM me. My engine build has been on hold because of the shift kit. After calling Factory Pro today, It should be here by Thursday. Once that finally gets here, I can put the clutch assembly in and button up the engine. I can then swap engines!

Since I'm taking the bike apart, It's getting all new coolant hoses as well as the CBR1K front end and the six spoke CBR/SP1 wheels.

I should be riding again in a couple weeks.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 06-08-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:54 PM
SuperBike

sorry to hear about your experience with factory pro.... I've had backordered parts from them but to be honest I order and forget about it... it gets to me when it gets to me...

anyways, what year cbr1k are you running? I'm running a 2005 and super happy about the suspension and brakes.

6 spoke??? 919,929????
Old 06-08-2015, 08:35 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

When you spend over $200 with a reputable company, you want to know what the heck is going on. They kind of screwed the pooch with that.

The CBR1000RR front end is from an '07.

The 6 spoke wheels are CBR900RR rear and RC51 SP1 front (bolts right up, but must use the CBR1000RR bearings in the SP1 wheel).

I have the CBR1000RR throttle tube as well.

Our bikes Scottie, are, or were almost identical. Since the VTR Of The Month submisions can be projects, it would be interesting to see who would win. Whoever gets thiers done faster would have finished pictures and might sway the voting.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 06-09-2015 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Stuff
Old 06-09-2015, 07:35 PM
SuperBike

I thought the bikes had to be rideable... and I feel like whoever has internal engine mods usually win

However, I would love to run against you... so july? I dont know if I'll be done by july 14th but I'll be close... and by done I mean rideable
Old 06-10-2015, 10:01 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
I thought the bikes had to be rideable... and I feel like whoever has internal engine mods usually win
Not true as I have won 6 times and my engine is relatively stock.....just minor mods to bits you can unbolt without removing the engine.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:00 AM
Squid

Albertus is on a distinguished road
Wow. What a transformation! Sorry to hear about your engine troubles, Crux. We hope that your swap goes smoothly.

Your build is being featured in the BikeBuilds.net directory here: CruxGNZ's SuperHawk Build.
We’re currently displaying only a reduced-size photo (similar to what you’d find in Google Images).
We'd like to ask for your permission to publish the original full-size image with your build listing.

If anyone would like to have a build of their own listed, just shoot me a PM with a link to the build thread and we’ll take care of the rest.
If you wish to add your build personally, please feel free to peruse our Submit feature. No registrations required.
Admins, please delete this post if deemed inappropriate.

Al

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CruxGNZ's '98 Superhawk