Knowledge Base Feedback, Questions on Knowledge Base articles.

Tweety's RC51 swingarm swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I left mine at stock lenght... That made my wheelbase a bit longer, but having shortened it a bit with the shorter front end, and with a slightly higher tail (adjustable shock) it's a net change of 25 mm or around 1"...

The effect is a bike that's rock stable in sweeping corners or going straight... But still flickable and willing to tip in with a light touch on the bars...
Old 06-04-2012, 05:16 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Is the center line of the mount that you welded onto the swingarm in the same location as the hole in the stock tabs were? If not that's going to change the geometry of the linkage. If it's not did you do anything else to compensate for this change?

Did I see somewhere where you said you canged it or is it still like this? I'm thinking of doing this swap but thinking about making the triangle piece with the bearings that go into the swingarm tabs, then have the flat plates that go out to the link attached to the engine and the shock. It would still require some welding but at least not modifying the swingarm.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:02 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by GTS
Is the center line of the mount that you welded onto the swingarm in the same location as the hole in the stock tabs were? If not that's going to change the geometry of the linkage. If it's not did you do anything else to compensate for this change?

Did I see somewhere where you said you canged it or is it still like this? I'm thinking of doing this swap but thinking about making the triangle piece with the bearings that go into the swingarm tabs, then have the flat plates that go out to the link attached to the engine and the shock. It would still require some welding but at least not modifying the swingarm.
Well... I'm lazy... I cut the part from the triangular dogbone for the SP, put a bolt through it and the holes in the swingarm tabs... Than I tacked the part to the swingarm and cut off the stock tabs... Removed the bearings, welded and filled... Done... Stuck new bearings in there and called it a day... This way everything lines up, nothing sits crooked... Easy and elegant solution...

Like I have said in other threads, I have since helped a friend do the same on his bike (albeit using an SP1 swingarm) and then we figured out that machining a new piece that replicated my triangular plates in terms of geometry, over the shock and VTR linkage, and the dogbone on the SP, that fit's into the stock tabs was a better idea... All the needed dimensions are floating around, most of it in Gaggenau's thread...

That leaves the swingarm bone stock, just bolt it off and put it back for sale if you like...
Old 06-04-2012, 01:29 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

Doing some looking on Ebay today I came across this.

RC51 2000 2001 Threaded Raising Lowering Link Links Kit | eBay

Thinking if you used the SP2 triangle piece and if you're using the SP2 or similar shock you could use these to link the triangle to the engine mount and this woudl be adjustable. You could just move the left side one over so that it's not in the way of the exhaust. They don't need to be perfectly paralell so this would give the adjustability you need, and you're keeping everything stock so you don't have to fabricate or modify anything. I think this is the route I'm going to go. Located a rear wheel already. Now just trying to get it for cheap. Hardest part to find is the swingarm itself. I see SP1 arms on ebay all day long for $75-$100. Are the SP2 ones going for that cheap as well when they come about? Or are they in higher demand and therefore fetching a higher price?

What do you think a good price is for a rear SP2 wheel? And for a front?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:49 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by GTS
Doing some looking on Ebay today I came across this.

RC51 2000 2001 Threaded Raising Lowering Link Links Kit | eBay

Thinking if you used the SP2 triangle piece and if you're using the SP2 or similar shock you could use these to link the triangle to the engine mount and this woudl be adjustable. You could just move the left side one over so that it's not in the way of the exhaust. They don't need to be perfectly paralell so this would give the adjustability you need, and you're keeping everything stock so you don't have to fabricate or modify anything. I think this is the route I'm going to go. Located a rear wheel already. Now just trying to get it for cheap. Hardest part to find is the swingarm itself. I see SP1 arms on ebay all day long for $75-$100. Are the SP2 ones going for that cheap as well when they come about? Or are they in higher demand and therefore fetching a higher price?

What do you think a good price is for a rear SP2 wheel? And for a front?
Haven't got a clue on prices, as I decide long ago that it was far too expensive, and I could get much lighter wheels for less with CBR parts... The SP2 swingarm starts somewhere in the $100 range mostly...

No, it don't need to be absolutely parallel, but then you need to adjust it very carefullt so as not to bind or bend... And the SP shock is far to lightly sprung for the VTR... You'll need a heavier spring unless you are lighter than air...
Old 06-04-2012, 02:10 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

It seems many shocks have the two forks that stick down that would go on either side of the dogbone like that so anything that's simlar would go in it's place. I pretty much figured a guy is going ot have to get all new springs for everything regardless. Especially being I'm in the 250-260lb range. I've found a couple RC51 shocks for super cheap on ebay. Springs and valving and I would imagine they'd be good to go. They have remote resivoirs so they are already light years ahead of the SH shock.

Obviously the link at an angle would need to be a little longer but as long as the centerline of the pivots are the same it'll travel in the same arc so there won't be any binding.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:12 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by GTS
It seems many shocks have the two forks that stick down that would go on either side of the dogbone like that so anything that's simlar would go in it's place. I pretty much figured a guy is going ot have to get all new springs for everything regardless. Especially being I'm in the 250-260lb range. I've found a couple RC51 shocks for super cheap on ebay. Springs and valving and I would imagine they'd be good to go. They have remote resivoirs so they are already light years ahead of the SH shock.
The range of travel on them are wildly different from the stock... Just letting you know...
Old 06-04-2012, 02:28 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

I guess the other question to ask for that is does the new geometry of the SP2 arm, dogbone etc. change the needed travel and therefore if you swapped it all in with SP2 parts would the SP2 shock be more in line with the travel needed. Do you by chance know the travel of each shock?
Old 06-04-2012, 02:43 PM
MotoGP

All of the info is around on the site if you search old threads... I know there are differences, but I can't tell you the numbers from memory... And I'm far to lazy to check...
Old 06-04-2012, 02:58 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

Thanks. I was up well almost all night last night doing research. It'd be nice if all the info got put in one thread and made a sticky like the front fork combatbility thread you just put together.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Squid

eezz is on a distinguished road
Or if the title of the thread were an indicator of what the guy is really doing. I've been searching to find if there is a fully adjustable rear shock from another honda that is rebuildable at a cheaper rate than going with a Fox or Penske; so far no luck.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:37 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by eezz
Or if the title of the thread were an indicator of what the guy is really doing. I've been searching to find if there is a fully adjustable rear shock from another honda that is rebuildable at a cheaper rate than going with a Fox or Penske; so far no luck.
Well, you are all welcome to make the thread, and I'm fairly sure one of the mods will sticky it... Threads around here tends to drift from one subject to another, so it really is a lottery as far as naming...

Best option to search is to use google site search, it's a lot better than the build in search... Let me google that for you

eezz, thats easy... You have to make the questions a bit more challenging...

The F4i shock has all the adjustments, but is a bit light on the spring, and too short... But it's the best match all around...

So Jamie Daugherty (forum member) rebuilds them with the apropriorate spring and internals, and adds a billet piece to make them the right lenght... Let me google that for you

BTW, please take this as intended... FUUUN!

Last edited by Tweety; 06-09-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:24 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Tweety, I thought you already had a CBR swingarm(?). Great job, gotta imagine it will really change the personality of the bike. Add onto that the footpeg move and it will take some shaking down. Good luck, keep posting
Old 06-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Squid

eezz is on a distinguished road
My forks are OK ~ 2006 CBR 1000 so I guess I'll keep looking for a Penske. I fired off an email to Dave at GP Suspension in Oregon and he recommends aftermarket as nothing else is really available to rebuild without cost close to a used aftermarket anyway. I confess I'm not as computer literate as many others as I spend very little time in front of one once I'm away from work. I use one 8 hours a day at work and really find it difficult to motivate myself to spend more time on it at home. That's not about to change much either. The graphics out side are great.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:10 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by eezz
My forks are OK ~ 2006 CBR 1000 so I guess I'll keep looking for a Penske. I fired off an email to Dave at GP Suspension in Oregon and he recommends aftermarket as nothing else is really available to rebuild without cost close to a used aftermarket anyway. I confess I'm not as computer literate as many others as I spend very little time in front of one once I'm away from work. I use one 8 hours a day at work and really find it difficult to motivate myself to spend more time on it at home. That's not about to change much either. The graphics out side are great.
Sorry... My bad, i meant F4i shock, not fork... That's what I'm running as a shock...
Old 06-09-2012, 11:12 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Tweety, I thought you already had a CBR swingarm(?). Great job, gotta imagine it will really change the personality of the bike. Add onto that the footpeg move and it will take some shaking down. Good luck, keep posting
I have been running the bike like this a while now... CBR 1000RR forks, SP2 (RC51 for you) swingarm with F4i (JamieD) shock... And yeah, it absolutely transforms the bike...